22 Post(s)
    Check out the hype sticker on this:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184419079791

Compare to the original on discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/Trent-Reznor...elease/2560332

A new pressing in the wild?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    That is definitely a different variation on the cover art, as well. More 'glitching' than the original front had (much closer to the digital five-track sampler's cover), and no barcode on the back. Hoping there are more copies out there for less than £700 though...
    Last edited by botley; 08-28-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That is definitely a different variation on the cover art, as well. More 'glitching' than the original front had (much closer to the digital five-track sampler's cover), and no barcode on the back. Hoping there are more copies out there for less than £700 though...
    One other minor variation when comparing the ebay images to Discogs: "Sony" is not listed on the back of the ebay image.

Here is a bigger look at the [new?] hype sticker:

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.43.46 AM.png

Compared to the original:

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.51.52 AM.png

https://www.discrepancy-records.com....twork-vinyl-lp
    Last edited by cdm; 08-28-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ That makes sense, since the last few Null Corp. vinyl releases (including Bird Box Extended) have been pressed/distributed by Universal and the initial release's exclusive license to Sony/Columbia Records has ended or will shortly expire. It would then appear to be an advance/early copy of Universal's reissue... I guess we can scotch the rumour that this release would be expanded to 3xLP, then?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I mean, it has a new UPC also, so yes, it's a new pressing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    And that’s the same catalog number as had previously leaked from Rough Trade: B003212901

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ That makes sense, since the last few Null Corp. vinyl releases (including Bird Box Extended) have been pressed/distributed by Universal and the initial release's exclusive license to Sony/Columbia Records has ended or will shortly expire. It would then appear to be an advance/early copy of Universal's reissue... I guess we can scotch the rumour that this release would be expanded to 3xLP, then?
    Maybe. Or maybe this is the "standard" version and nin.com is going to have something fancier...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone ask Rob Sheridan about the cover for this new(?) vinyl release? Perhaps he remembers if this was an unused variant?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post
    Did anyone ask Rob Sheridan about the cover for this new(?) vinyl release? Perhaps he remembers if this was an unused variant?
    As I said earlier, it's the same artwork that the 5-track digital sampler had (without the additional text). See NINwiki.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nabbed both!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Whats with Trent and these Gucci prices the last 5 or so years? Is there some crazy licensing or otherwise hidden costs we don't know about?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't see what's so excessive about 2LP releases hovering around the $35 price point. That seems like the going rate for new releases in a lot of places.

This is probably not an argument worth getting into, though.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    I don't see what's so excessive about 2LP releases hovering around the $35 price point. That seems like the going rate for new releases in a lot of places.

This is probably not an argument worth getting into, though.
    Honestly the only 180g 2LP records i've ever bought that were $35 or more (outside of weird deluxe editions) were NIN records.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Honestly the only 180g 2LP records i've ever bought that were $35 or more (outside of weird deluxe editions) were NIN records.
    you're not buying enough records, then

i've paid $40 brand new for lots of 2xLPs

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rob says the sampler cover was what they originally wanted to go with, but Sony told them to go with the cleaner cover:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a high-res digital version of this from way back when nullco sold the first press, but its rather surprising that this & Quake dont mention a digital DL option, nor is it on the website.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So this is in fact the definitie edition as intended by TR/AR and Rob? Nice! Had to give in and buy it, although it's no bargain.

This very soundtrack is pretty much what got me through university. Always used to put it on while studying or writing papers, essays and my thesis. Had a great time watching the movie with a good friend I met on my very first day at campus. Good memories and very happy to finally have this for a reasonable (well...) price.
    Last edited by dlb; 09-16-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    PLEASSSSE Still be in stock on Friday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Curious who will write the liner notes essay for this. Fincher? Clint Mansell/Hans Zimmer? A film critic?

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    This very soundtrack is pretty much what got me through university. Always used to put it on while studying or writing papers, essays and my thesis. Had a great time watching the movie with a good friend I met on my very first day at campus. Good memories and very happy to finally have this for a reasonable (well...) price.
    Can confirm. Also did a LOT of work to this score in the background.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I snagged em both as well. Then I put on TSN score while working at my kitchen table. Takes me back to when I was in school, I used to listen to this all the time while writing code for my web development class. Made me feel like I was working on something cooler than I actually was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psus2h View Post
    I have a high-res digital version of this from way back when nullco sold the first press, but its rather surprising that this & Quake dont mention a digital DL option, nor is it on the website.
    Indeed - gutted about that and fingers crossed it comes later. Sadly I only purchased the Nullco Apple Format version back in the day.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Falling asleep to their score work is one of my favorite things to do. Some -- Gone Girl, Waves, Before the Flood, Vietnam War, TGWTDT -- are easy to sack out to. TSN wasn't always like this and took me a long time to warm to when trying to fall asleep. There's a lot going on in some of these compositions, and it's definitely one of their more restless scores..

Bird Box Deluxe is the same way. Just when you think you've found a lull in it, something jars you back into its nightmarishness (like that insane Trespasser track)..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I wonder if the audio will be remastered, or if this release is just to make the soundtrack available to fans once again, since the initial pressing is so hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I wonder if the audio will be remastered, or if this release is just to make the soundtrack available to fans once again, since the initial pressing is so hard to come by at a reasonable price.
    I think Rob referred to it as being remastered on twitter, but nin store makes no mention of it (Quake does get that distinction). I'm not really sure why anything from 2010 would need to be remastered, though. It is the "definitive edition" though, with the original artwork that they wanted to use. It'll be interesting if that affects the value of the original at all, since they will be uniquely different.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The homepage does state it's a definitive edition. It should be interesting to see what's changed. I thought it was perfect the way it was.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 09-17-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The homepage does state it's a definitive edition. It should be interesting to see what's changed. I thought it was perfect the way it was.
    Based on Rob saying the sampler cover was meant to be the actual cover, and that cover being used for this reissue, the Definitive Edition tag probably just refers to this vinyl release looking the way they wanted it to originally, as well as it likely being a lot easier to obtain than the original was. I doubt anything about the interior art or even the master will be different.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    It'll definitively be in my collection.

Personally, I think the Bluray is the definitive edition. This was Trent & Co at the peak of their "let's make surround sound records" phase.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    ... of their "let's make surround sound records" phase.
    I wish that phase would come back. I loved those 5.1 mixes.