Page 69 of 110 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 3282

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    From the interview in rolling stone, it makes it seem like it's a completely different song, but that's the vibe I got.
    I had to listen to the song when I got to that part and I think they're referring to the same song, they've just modified the title to include "the River." I'll be pretty surprised if they end up having two completely different songs called "By and Down" and "By and Down the River." But I suppose stranger things have happened – like Trump becoming president and Ted Nugent running for Senate.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I had to listen to the song when I got to that part and I think they're referring to the same song, they've just modified the title to include "the River." I'll be pretty surprised if they end up having two completely different songs called "By and Down" and "By and Down the River." But I suppose stranger things have happened – like Trump becoming president and Ted Nugent running for Senate.
    I hardly doubt it's the exact same song. Probably re-worked a bit, maybe added a section, changed the tempo or structure of the song. Think "Pet" VS "Counting Bodies like sheep..."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They played By and Down recently and it wasn't changed. I'm doubtful on this one. Maybe a different mix to fade in and out with other tracks. Maybe a remaster to fit with the new album.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I hope there’s at least a few songs that have lyrics that aren’t just full-preachy on the nose complaining. Part of my love of APC has been MJK’s writing style and the open-ended nature of a lot of it and all of these songs sonfar have left zero room for subtlety or interpretation.

That album cover is baffling. I’m surprised how little excitement I’m feeling around this even though I’ve always loved APC more than Tool. I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed any of these singles.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I hope there’s at least a few songs that have lyrics that aren’t just full-preachy on the nose complaining. Part of my love of APC has been MJK’s writing style and the open-ended nature of a lot of it and all of these songs sonfar have left zero room for subtlety or interpretation.

That album cover is baffling. I’m surprised how little excitement I’m feeling around this even though I’ve always loved APC more than Tool. I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed any of these singles.
    Wow, you very eloquently put how I feel about these tracks as well. Said it much more clearly than I think I could've, but that's how I feel exactly. These tracks aren't bad, they're just sorta on the nose a bit for my tastes. I'm also right there with you...I'm just not that hyped for this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Talktalk is a step in the right direction I was hoping the album would sound like, but all of these songs sound boring and uninspired to me. Hopefully they sound a bit more cohesive when I get to hear this from start to finish. I don't see them ever topping Thirteenth Step.
    I love Thirteenth Step, but they topped it before they made it. Mer De Noms > Thirteenth Step

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Or none of those things and you’re being meaninglessly cynical? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not that meaningless to me. I'm trying to identify the nature of my disappointment. I really love APC's first two albums, and when I revisit them today, I still feel like I can relate to them and I still feel like they occupy a unique musical space. And even if we're attributing the music to just people, those albums sound like everyone is coming together and really putting in some great work.

And this stuff feels really bland. And even though they are mostly talking about things that I care about there's a lack of lyricism to the songs that i find very surprising. It's so on the nose that it lacks any bite or surprise to it... The art work is at best meant to be kind of ironic? Hopefully? Like it's just so over the top that it's funny, I suppose? But it doesn't work for me even in that context, it just kind of sucks.

So I'm looking at that, and as a long time forum dweller I can't help but wonder if this is a moment where the artists' heart really isn't in it and they know their most die hard fans will buy anything they sell, and this is all they got, now, that's as much effort as they're willing to give. Kind of like Mastodon.

On the other side of the coin is the equally dreadful possibility that these guys just aren't talented or interesting anymore and it's that simple.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    If the songs are on-the-nose it’s because they’re supposed to be. Maynard’s entire career has been writing about stuff and people ignoring it.

For instance, “Stinkfist” is a juvenile song about fisting and people’s need to chase everything new and exciting until they need something even newer and exciting and that it’s a shame.

“Disillusioned” is saying people’s need to chase everything new and exciting until they need something even newer and exciting is dangerous. Not everything has to be shiny and exciting. Sometimes it’s to have something be nice and in stride.

I respect your opinions even if I disagree but I feel like if you’re going to overthink it and least really dig into it and overthink it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Its not that meaningless to me. I'm trying to identify the nature of my disappointment. I really love APC's first two albums, and when I revisit them today, I still feel like I can relate to them and I still feel like they occupy a unique musical space. And even if we're attributing the music to just people, those albums sound like everyone is coming together and really putting in some great work.

And this stuff feels really bland. And even though they are mostly talking about things that I care about there's a lack of lyricism to the songs that i find very surprising. It's so on the nose that it lacks any bite or surprise to it... The art work is at best meant to be kind of ironic? Hopefully? Like it's just so over the top that it's funny, I suppose? But it doesn't work for me even in that context, it just kind of sucks.

So I'm looking at that, and as a long time forum dweller I can't help but wonder if this is a moment where the artists' heart really isn't in it and they know their most die hard fans will buy anything they sell, and this is all they got, now, that's as much effort as they're willing to give. Kind of like Mastodon.

On the other side of the coin is the equally dreadful possibility that these guys just aren't talented or interesting anymore and it's that simple.
    I just wrote it but I think it’s more like lyrically it’s been said a thousand ways that it’s just easier to say it and be done with it. This is a marked departure from the other albums and I don’t think it’s groundbreaking. I also don’t think it’s phones in or untalented. I just think it’s more low-key and less soaring.

Thirteenth Step is my favorite album of all time and I listen to it all the time so I feel you. I just don’t think this is completely uninspired.

Although the artwork is... Something else. I have no comment on the matter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That album cover is baffling.
    Pretty much my thoughts. I'm digging the actual music quite a bit (I like Disillusioned/Doomed more than most, I think), but the lyrics aren't doing it for me this time around. Definitely too on-the-nose for my taste.

And I mentioned it earlier, but I really don't get that album cover. Like, if it was closer to April Fools, I would have thought the band was trolling. Not that it matters much. The music is what counts. I might just whip up my own cover in photoshop, though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    my feelings exactly- do like the new tune but don’t see myself wanting to go back to it a whole lot. I almost wish they wouldn’t leak these songs one at a time, and could just listen to the album in full and let it hit you all at once.

Hoping Tool sticks to what they’ve done in the past. If the entire album (APC or Tool) leaks, so be it.
    Sometimes I tend to really ignore the single releases of tracks until the entire album does come out. I was going to do this with this album but I caved. Really hoping the tracks we haven't heard change the game a bit. I'm at least very happy that we are getting any new music from them at all.

The structure and set up for the songs off of Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step for me seemed to be more direct and guided as to what they were going to for with those albums sound. I don't remember how the recording sessions went for this album, but the first two tracks sound like they weren't sure what sound they wanted to stick with, with awkward pauses and jarring changes in many parts. It just sounds....off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by "sonic_discord
    I love Thirteenth Step, but they topped it before they made it. Mer De Noms > Thirteenth Step.

For me this one of those decisions that is almost neck and neck. But when I go back and listen to these albums, they give me such different feelings emotionally. Mer de Noms gives me more of a mysterious, yet touching feeling... maybe even haunting. Thirteenth Step gives me that lonely, yet sense of hope feeling. Both are on par with each other now when I look at it, but I always get a little more out of Thirteenth Step. Gravity...man.... Gravity.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I am ready! Instantly loved The Doomed and Disillusioned has grown on me. About to download TalkTalk now...

Pre-ordered the vinyl.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 02-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    That album cover is baffling.
    I've been thinking about this more; I'm sure this is a coincidence:

The banana slug (Thirteenth Step) and the octopus (Eat The Elephant) are both mollusks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya'll really need a new shtick re: Maynard. Still misunderstood and wrongly perceived. He's not an asshole or even really a bad guy. Just a frontman in a band held to higher standard or like he owes people anything but his art. That sense of entitlement and care for nonsensical things, obsessing over personality, complaining is why he has a contempt towards certain fans. I don't blame him for when he does react that gives claims validation. And good to see the elitist attitude toward music that alienated me here yrs ago after the host switch for most part hasn't changed either.

New music is solid though. This song is my fav so far. Liking the social commentary theme in this climate, not everything has to be cynically interpreted. This world needs a wake up call in our idiosyncrasies or things spelled out for them, touching on rare issues/subjects people don't or blind to.
    Last edited by Dissonance; 02-05-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: fix a word

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah the people worrying about Maynard need to stop, who cares. New songs are still dullsville, though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For anyone interested there appears to be an indie exclusive white vinyl.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/26807128/...ndie-exclusive
    Last edited by renton44; 02-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The cover is atrocious and these singles have been subpar. WTF happened to APC? Maybe they should have just stayed away.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Anyone care to speculate as to the intended meaning the album's title? Is it a reference to the republican party or the phrase "Eat the elephant one bite at a time?"

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    oh my god, that cover ... it has to be one of the stupidest covers ever.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I might just whip up my own cover in photoshop, though.
    Photoshop Maynard’s head onto Grandpa Simpson, and put the APC logo somewhere lol...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I love the artwork lol, it's brilliant. It has something corpsepaint/Mortiis-esque about it.

Regarding the music I want to reserve judgement until I've heard the whole album, I'm sure it will all make more sense then. It does seem though that rock bands are having a hard time rocking out at this moment in time.
    My relationship with Dave Sardy is ambivalent: he can get some real crunchy guitars and drums out a band, but also has overly slick and glossy tendencies. I wish he'd kept on putting out Barkmarket records, they're pretty damn good for weird, left-field 90s alt/noise rock.

Glad to hear that Maynard will be doing the singing.

And OF COURSE it's coming out on 4/20.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Mortiis esque LOL

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    1 Eat The Elephant
    2 Disillusioned
    3 The Contrarian
    4 The Doomed
    5 So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
    6 TalkTalk
    7 By And Down The River
    8 Delicious
    9 DLB
    10 Hourglass
    11 Feathers
    12 Get The Lead Out

Track 7? ok sure...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Oh god I'm in stitches

"Well it's no easier mission holding onto how I PICTURED YOU BUDDY OH GOD *trips, falls over table*

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If anyone is still hanging onto a 10% discount code that the store was seemingly giving out last month if you put the Doomed/Disillusioned vinyl in your cart but didn't buy it, it will work on all variants of the new album pre-orders.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    https://instagram.com/p/Be2JRk9BbKG/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/Be2JRk9BbKG/

ahahahahahahahaha i love joe lo truglio

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    With 6 songs in, I'm perfectly confident it's going to be a good album. Put together, it all seems to fit well.

14 years? man. Thank god we had Puscifer in the meantime.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Eh. It's still better than Bikini Bandits shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Very underwhelming, sounds like Puscifer 2.0. Not good.