Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directo...r_Mark_Romanek

This has a special feature with Chris Rock, Ben Stiller and Robin reacting to watching some of Romanek's videos and I think part of it has Robin watching the "Closer" video with some funny comments to go along.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    World's Greatest Dad was an underrated movie... kind of frustrating to watch, but it's a great dark comedy. Wish I could find my copy of Death to Smoochy though. That, in my opinion, is really the most underrated comedy ever.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was still in school when "Mork & Mindy" was on TV; his career spanned many generations.

Funniest thing I've ever seen him do is that skit on the history of golf.

NYT Obituary: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/12..._r=0&referrer=
    Last edited by allegro; 08-12-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    He had a larger than life persona, with an explosive personality that was full of life and could always make you laugh. Robin Williams because he was so full of life you always thought he would be there. His public persona was happy and hilarious but tragic that in his personal life he couldn't get the help he needed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I feel like this needs to be viewed right now, for multiple reasons:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Everybody I've talked to about him and seeing everything all over the internet, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that everyone likes Robin Williams.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Everybody I've talked to about him and seeing everything all over the internet, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that everyone likes Robin Williams.
    Which I find weird or a bandwagon jumper; majority of people I know, talk or or have been around didn't like him or his acting/comedic skills. I've gotten shunned numerous times for having a Robin Williams film library and now everyone likes him or tries to? Lame.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Some of our favorite rockers (RHCP, RATM, Slipknot, Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, SP, Richard Patrick) share their thoughts on Robin Williams:
    http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=52848

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Used to always see him out and about in S.F. We used to do Sunday Dim Sum, the place was pretty popular so if you got there after 9 you would have to wait in line to get a table. Well here comes Robin, didn't use his star power at all, instead of jumping line he decided to to do what he did, went into his bits and had the whole line buckled over in laughter, everyone offered to grab his tab, he of course refused, and said, "Give me your number, after my divorce I might need that". Great guy, humble as all fuck, sometimes the biggest smile hides the biggest demons.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    World's Greatest Dad was an underrated movie... kind of frustrating to watch, but it's a great dark comedy. Wish I could find my copy of Death to Smoochy though. That, in my opinion, is really the most underrated comedy ever.
    I completely agree with you on this one. World's Greatest Dad is awesome.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Which I find weird or a bandwagon jumper; majority of people I know, talk or or have been around didn't like him or his acting/comedic skills. I've gotten shunned numerous times for having a Robin Williams film library and now everyone likes him or tries to? Lame.
    I don't know... I just think it's good form to say something about the recently deceased, and in most cases, it's lame to be negative. I wasn't the biggest fan, but he's an icon, and he's made some stuff that I thought was great. I'd be a jerk to jump into the discussion with negativity. I'd rather focus on the stuff he made that I thought was great, especially the stuff that I think is overlooked.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Robin Williams masterpiece, IMHO, is the drama One Hour Photo. He gives a superb performance as a lonely, psychotic stalker who becomes obsessed with one of the families that he develops film for. His ability to play that kind of a role and the title role in Mrs. Doubtfire shows what a talented, versatile actor he was.

What Dreams May Come was also a good film and will be hard to watch now, given the subject (life after death, suicide, depression) that the film addresses.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-12-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Lauran Bacall

Another loss. She was fucking amazing in Key Largo.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i think the fact that so many people have be sharing their unique and personally touching stories of this man speaks volumes. Norm Macdonald made a great set of tweets ( http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24950575 )

and I thought russell brand wrote a thoughtful essay. the last paragraphs were particularly poignant.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rld?CMP=twt_gu

"When someone gets to 63 I imagined, hoped, I suppose, that maturity would grant an immunity to adolescent notions of suicide but today I read that suicide isn’t exclusively a young man’s game. Robin Williams at 63 still hadn’t come to terms with being Robin Williams.

Today Robin Williams is part of the sad narrative that we used to turn to him to disrupt. What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? What I might do is watch Mrs Doubtfire. Or Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting and I might be nice to people, mindful today how fragile we all are, how delicate we are, even when fizzing with divine madness that seems like it will never expire."
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-13-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    i think the fact that so many people have be sharing their unique and personally touching stories of this man speaks volumes. Norm Macdonald made a great set of tweets ( http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24950575 )

and I thought russell brand wrote a thoughtful essay. the last paragraphs were particularly poignant.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rld?CMP=twt_gu

"When someone gets to 63 I imagined, hoped, I suppose, that maturity would grant an immunity to adolescent notions of suicide but today I read that suicide isn’t exclusively a young man’s game. Robin Williams at 63 still hadn’t come to terms with being Robin Williams.

Today Robin Williams is part of the sad narrative that we used to turn to him to disrupt. What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? What I might do is watch Mrs Doubtfire. Or Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting and I might be nice to people, mindful today how fragile we all are, how delicate we are, even when fizzing with divine madness that seems like it will never expire."
    Shit, that was a fucking great piece from Russell Brand. He definitely gets depression and how uneasy it is to combat it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    yea he's wrote a few great pieces about depression and addiction. i know he's a controversial entertainment figure but above all i've come to respect him as an extremely articulate writer who understands much about the human condition.

on amy winehouse/drugs/depression: http://www.russellbrand.com/2011/07/for-amy/

on addiction: http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...fixing-a-hole/

i love this quote from the second article which helps me sum up my demons with drugs, "I sat in a suite at the Savoy hotel, in privilege, resenting the woeful ratbag I once was who, for all his problems, had drugs."
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-13-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I read that he died, but its only a few minutes ago that I found out it was from suicide. I usually don't get too caught up in celebrity deaths, but this man who seemed so warm, from suicide...man, this got to me.

I might give One Hour Photo another watch, an underrated film that I think is the man's finest hour.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post

Russel Brand has this way of very eloquently phrasing very naive concepts.

Nobody should have been convinced that "suicide is a young man's game." I'm sure he's heard of Hunter S Thompson, Ernest Hemingway, or Virginia Woolf.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I really hope there's a special place in hell for those bastards.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I saw The Angriest Man in Brooklyn several weeks ago. Its not very good at all and I don't recommend it to anyone, but one thing I remember thinking while watching it was that Robin Williams seems to have been missing that spark, that lively something he always had in his eyes. Except for a scene or two where he briefly came to life, he just seemed to be trudging through it with a weight on him, trying to do good work to not disappoint everybody on set, but deep down didn't want to be there. I chalked it up to age catching up to him, but now I have a different perspective.

There is actually a scene where he tried to kill himself by jumping off a bridge, but someone dragged him out of the river. So...yeah.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've never been so upset by the death of a public figure as i am about Robin Williams.

He was such a big deal to our generation, those of us who were delighted by Hook and took our high school sweethearts to see What Dreams May Come.

Thinking about this makes me actually cry. He will be sorely missed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was a lot more upset when John Lennon was murdered. But this one has been difficult to digest because it was so surprising; so few of us knew he battled depression.

I hope he's hanging out with Johnny Carson and his old friends John Belushi and Jonathan Winters.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can tell that years from now I'll be as devastated by it as I am today. Not like the initial shock but still that deeply sad about it. I was actually thinking about him a few days before it happened because there's a documentary coming out on Dock Ellis, the MLB pitcher who threw a no-hitter on LSD that Robin did a bit about on his last HBO special. Thinking about it made me remember that time I mentioned earlier about the Met special. I'm not that big at all on wanting to meet celebrities, but I thought then it would have been nice to have told him thank you for that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Like most people, I'm devastated by the loss of Robin Williams. How many actors or comedians match the breadth of his work? I don't think there's any other actor who has made me laugh so much in some roles and made my heart break with others. "One Hour Photo" is one of my favorite movies and favorite lead performances ever - due in part because (like any great actor) Robin seemed to bring the weight of his life experience to the role. I'm hesitant to watch it again since we now have a clearer picture of RW's real-life demons.

Ultimately though, I'm grateful for the laughs AND tears he provided because both have inspired & moved me in different ways (and will continue to) throughout my life.

I also wanted to point out that Dillinger Escape Plan / Ben Weinman / Party Smasher Inc have shared something my older brother Joe has written in regards to Robin Williams and depression in general. Joe is the founder of The You Rock Foundation -- an online platform created to help young people combat depression via the sharing of popular musicians own experiences w/ the illness -- and I'm so proud of him:

http://www.partysmasherinc.com/media...t-discriminate

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That explains a lot.