Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If the Republicans get control of Congress, and the Presidency, they've said they're going to:

* Ban IUDs (they consider IUDs a method of abortion)
    * Ban birth control pills (ditto - ridiculous)
    * Ban abortion drugs (ditto)
    * Ban In Vitro Fertilization (wtf)

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...-birth-control

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/21/ban...idate_partner/

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/09/are...birth-control/

https://time.com/6175213/birth-contr...er-roe-v-wade/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfang View Post
    Guns are a-ok with fewer restrictions the better, but medical autonomy for women is just a bridge to far... hmm yeah, that seems fine.
    SCOTUS just ruled states' rights is overruled by the Second Amendment for carrying guns for self-protection (self-protection is NOT in the Second Amendment), thereby removing states' rights; but then Alito points out in this opinion that "abortion" isn't in the Constitution, and cites states' rights.

SCOTUS ruled in favor of people who don't want to wear masks or get Covid vaccines, but ruled against people who don't want to be pregnant. Medical autonomy for some, oh but not for YOU.

What we really need, now, is legislation that IMMEDIATELY puts sperm-contributors on the hook for pregnancies. Or face prison. That’d shake Jesus nuts to the core.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The ongoing conversations between my Wife, her sisters, and their mother are so cringe. Complete lack of understanding on my MIL's part about what this overturn means and the recent Texas legislation moving the ban to 6 weeks and its deadman switch outlawing it entirely which goes into effect in about 60 days. She thinks this is all about the right to terminate one day before the due date. I'm serious. Edit: Also believes that there are exemptions for rape and incest which the 2021 Texas law banned.

Oh and to make it even better she's telling her daughters to read the SC ruling and the laws before speaking.

Oh and even better she may or may not have benefitted from Roe in High School.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 06-24-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    She thinks this is all about the right to terminate one day before the due date. I'm serious.
    I seriously want to smack the shit out of people who think this actually HAPPENS on the regular. NOBODY performs these abortions. Good luck finding someone. But, pro-life Republicans are out there making it seem like late-term abortions are happening daily. Abortion is limited to like 22 weeks in MOST STATES. But Trump is out there yammering about abortions "after the baby is born."

Wtf.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    clarence thomas saying he wants to overturn decisions on birth control, same-sex marriage, and even gay relationships is fucking terrifying. that combined with the SC voting yesterday to essentially protect cops from being sued by people who aren't properly informed of their miranda rights is abhorrent.

i can't wait to be arrested for being a trans lesbian and not be able to sue the cop who mishandles my arrest! FUN!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The thing that's really dragging me down a further notch is... even if RBG had held on, this decision was 6-3. This is a landslide... and that's very bad.

Roe V Wade was non-partisan. This isn't. This is completely fucked.

And a last minute abortion is a thing that doesn't happen outside of an emergency procedure to save the mother's life.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    She thinks this is all about the right to terminate one day before the due date. I'm serious.
    Their messaging on this, like a lot of things, is working.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I predict a Troubles coming soon to a politician near you.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm not even going to bother going to twitter today as I'm already in a bad enough mood. fuck them.
    I lied I guess.

I was thinking during lunch: if the Democrats had half a brain they would have been talking impeachment over the last month-ish time for those four/five justices who all lied under oath. But nothing because they have less than half a brain. They're the tots and pears of government made real.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was thinking during lunch: if the Democrats had half a brain they would have been talking impeachment over the last month-ish time for those four/five justices who all lied under oath. But nothing because they have less than half a brain. They're the tots and pears of government made real.
    Removing a SCOTUS justice requires 2/3 of the Senate.

So threatening something that’s literally impossible takes half a brain.

We can’t even remove Thomas over his seditious wife.

And impeachment of a SCOTUS justice requires a REALLY egregious offense.

Republicans already made checkmate moves with Trump.

They packed the Federal courts with hundreds of very young, very religious and very conservative judges.

And they did the same with SCOTUS.

And the Democrats don’t truly have a majority in the Senate; the Senate is 50/50, and the tie is only broken by the VP. But that’s only for budgets; everything else requires 60. Manchin and Sinema won’t budge on that.

It’s game over, for generations.

Missouri is going to ban IVF and IUDs, pretty much immediately.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Their messaging on this, like a lot of things, is working.
    That’s been their mantra for 50 years. They’re still the minority. But they’re a loud enough minority that Republicans use it (and 2A) for all of their fundraising.

I’m wondering if New York State will just say “fuck you” and ignore the SCOTUS gun decision. Which they can actually do. Scalia actually said this, that the SCOTUS has no enforcement capabilities.

Brown vs. the Board of Education, for example. There was MASSIVE resistance. President Johnson had to call in the National Guard to enforce the Civil Rights Act.

New York can just IGNORE the SCOTUS decision. Because SCOTUS is not a law-creating body. It interprets laws. But states can resist that, or flat out ignore it. Because SCOTUS is now a kangaroo court.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The government does not care about any one of us.

They just want as many potential laborers and consumers as we can make for them to exploit while lining their pockets.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post

They just want as many potential laborers and consumers as we can make for them to exploit while lining their pockets.
    The voters caused all of this.

You want to blame?

The SCOTUS justices got there via Presidents, and those Presidents got there by voters.

The cases got to SCOTUS by lobbyists who are supplied with money by voters.

The legislation that bans abortion, gay marriage, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights? That legislation was written by people who got there via voters.

“The government” is formed by voters.

You want to change government?

Vote.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ The religious right hates:

* College education (too woke)
    * Public schools (ditto)
    * Democrats (ditto)

The religious right loves:

* Bible over the Constitution (it’s like Christian Sharia)
    * Israel (because Jesus is from there! don’t like Jews, though)
    * More white babies!!!
    * Trump Jesus!!!
    * Guns

I think this opinion is gonna really screw Republicans, ultimately.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

wow that's weird. wonder what's different.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't even want a peaceful resolution at this point. Fuck all of these people.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Failed state. SCOTUS has been obviously compromised for a while now and is only just beginning to flex its muscles in the regressive direction it pleases. Thomas makes it clear this doesn't stop here. Contraception, gay marriage, hell even just being gay - it's open season on all of our civil liberties now. And watching the people like Pelosi and Clyburn who spent the last month backing anti-abortion Democratic incumbents, people like Biden who spent a lot of their careers undermining Roe and helping pave the way for this moment by never pressing with any urgency, have no answer other than to vote for them more is such a depressing and concise encapsulation on why the right has gained so much ground. I don't see things improving anytime soon.

What else is there to say. We live in hell.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfang View Post
    These week has been a plagued with god-awful decisions from SCOTUS and it is exhausting.
    And 8 more decisions are coming by 7/1, and they ain't gonna be pretty either. The West Virginia one is especially troubling, as it will most likely severely limit federal agencies from enforcing their regulations, which was the whole point of taking this case to the Supreme Court.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fuck christianity

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The West Virginia vs EPA scares the shit out of me.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/2021/20-1530

The Federalist Society is totally running SCOTUS, and most of the Federal court system. MOSTLY just via TRUMP, alone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Society

In January 2019, The Washington Post Magazine wrote that the Federalist Society had reached an "unprecedented peak of power and influence." Of the current nine members of the Supreme Court of the United States, six (Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch, Clarence Thomas, John Roberts, Samuel Alito, and Amy Coney Barrett) are current or former members of the organization. Politico wrote that the Federalist Society "has become one of the most influential legal organizations in history—not only shaping law students' thinking but changing American society itself by deliberately, diligently shifting the country's judiciary to the right.”
    Last edited by allegro; 06-25-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The thing that's really dragging me down a further notch is... even if RBG had held on, this decision was 6-3. This is a landslide... and that's very bad.

Roe V Wade was non-partisan. This isn't. This is completely fucked.

And a last minute abortion is a thing that doesn't happen outside of an emergency procedure to save the mother's life.
    As I Understand, it Roberts voted against Dobbs and indicated that he would’ve left Roe in place so it’s sort of a 5-4 finding against Roe and 6-3 against Dobbs.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Had Hillary Clinton won in 2016, SCOTUS would look like this:

Roberts
    Thomas (age 74)
    Alito (age 72)

* Breyer (retiring, then replaced by a Clinton appointee)
    * Sotomayor
    * Kagan
    * Clinton appointee
    * Clinton appointee
    * Clinton appointee

Last edited by allegro; 06-25-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's a never ending game of chess that fucks with people's lives and rights.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Olivia Rodrigo brings Lily Allen onstage to sing Allen’s “Fuck You” to the SCOTUS Justices who overturned Roe, with the approval of 200,000 screaming fans.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    It's a never ending game of chess that fucks with people's lives and rights.
    And many American voters don’t understand that there’s definitely a chess game being played.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    She just didn't make them feel funny in their pants so they didn't vote for her. Simple as that.

And the people on Twitter talking about "we're gonna show them in November!"

Lol right. This is basically done and over with.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    And the people on Twitter talking about "we're gonna show them in November!"

Lol right. This is basically done and over with.
    Same people who've been posting memes about hating living here and how disgraceful this shit country is, but then next week their socials will be full of pictures of themselves garbed in american flag gear happily celebrating the 4th of July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Billie Joe Armstrong “renounced” his citizenship: https://deadline.com/2022/06/green-d...uk-1235052222/