Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    "Giddy Up," with John 5 on guitar:

Wolfgang will be on your with GN'R this summer.
    I swear... sometimes, I am genuinely jealous of people who can listen to this sort of thing and say "hey, that was a good experience and I'm glad that happened." I will never have any idea what that feels like. And I am NOT suggesting that all music needs to be super serious and make a point and be dramatic or not just have some fucking fun, but this sounds like the adult version of Baby Shark to me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I swear... sometimes, I am genuinely jealous of people who can listen to this sort of thing and say "hey, that was a good experience and I'm glad that happened." I will never have any idea what that feels like. And I am NOT suggesting that all music needs to be super serious and make a point and be dramatic or not just have some fucking fun, but this sounds like the adult version of Baby Shark to me.
    I didn't know what Baby Shark was until just now and looked it up on youtube. Shame on you.

I dig the Roth tune. Laid back, some nice guitar work. Nothing essential, but fun.

Eat 'Em and Smile will always be Dave's crowning achievement as a solo artist.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    lol, I bought the RSD single of Baby Shark because my nephew loves the song.

fun fact: I gave it to my MIL because she has a record player and also babysits him. she hates me for that because it's a picture disc and he knows to ask for it.

constantly.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I swear... sometimes, I am genuinely jealous of people who can listen to this sort of thing and say "hey, that was a good experience and I'm glad that happened." I will never have any idea what that feels like.
    Definitely me throughout high school and college. Just do what I did, hit your late 30’s, have a kid and get two mortgages. Regardless of the entertainment medium, you’ll love what you love to death. And won’t have the time or energy to give two fucks about shit you don’t care about. ��

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    @october_midnight yeahhhh... at this point, when someone IRL tells me what kind of art/music/lit/film/whatever they're into, my response is usually a sort of "no shit?"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Giving Mammoth WVH a spin now. It's pretty much what I expected, very modern 00s/10s rock, in the style of Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Alter Bridge, etc. I'd say the material is better than average and I'm enjoying the disc. I hope it does well.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    EVH has been gone a year. Still can't believe that he's really gone.

One of my favorites. Soloing is just awesome here:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Michael Anthony Has Discussed Van Halen Tribute With Alex, David Lee Roth

If this happens I hope they get Sammy for the tour as well as Dave.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Michael Anthony Has Discussed Van Halen Tribute With Alex, David Lee Roth

If this happens I hope they get Sammy for the tour as well as Dave.
    Personally hope it does not happen. Sounds like a cash grab. Surprised WVH hasnt bitched about it on twitter

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Personally hope it does not happen. Sounds like a cash grab. Surprised WVH hasnt bitched about it on twitter
    Unless a band performs for free, it's always about the money (in part). With Satriani on guitar, this could really work. If Sam is part of the tour, that will be great for Dave as he won't have to sing as long. Maybe an hour setlist with Dave, and then an hour with Sam, and then Dave and Sam can duet a song or two.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    hard pass.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Goosebumps

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Goosebumps
    That was awesome.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Red Hot Chilli Pepper song, "Eddie."

The creative process gives life meaning and purpose! We put out a double album about four months ago, called Unlimited Love. I love that album, it felt so good to share it with y’all. Welp, now we are putting out another double album and this one is the absolute best of who we are, I’m am fukking thrilled that we are releasing this shit on October 14. Power to the people. Hope it touches hearts.

https://www.spin.com/2022/09/red-hot-chili-peppers-eddie-new-single/?fbclid=IwAR2CippTxSO74zKhoiivzPrsiW9-w1OyWFYzGEsVJnTHLtIL0oitdFCoPt4

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sammy's new album Crazy Times is out today.

From another Rolling Stone interview with Dave Cobb, who produced Crazy Times:

Cobb wanted the record to draw inspiration from all eras of Hagar’s career, with a special emphasis on his time in Van Halen. The presence of Van Halen/Circle bassist Michael Anthony made that pretty easy. “The first thing I told Michael when we got to the studio was that I wanted him to do that classic Van Halen harmony,” says Cobb. “He was such huge part of their sound, and we really tried to get those classic Van Halen vocal sounds. He’s just such an incredible singer, and the way he stacks harmonies is amazing to watch.”

Going to give Crazy Times a spin this afternoon. Looking forward to hearing it.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-30-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    2 years have passed by real fast

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    2 years have passed by real fast
    Yeah. I still give those first six albums a spin a few times a month. If you like classic rock/guitar rock, it doesn't get much better than Van Halen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus, this guy’s insufferable. He takes every chance possible to air out his grievances at the expense of anyone else, including dead people who can’t defend themselves. Sam wrote a book about this shit; but here he is, again, waiving his hands, “wait, look, I gotta tell people how things went down” - for the hundredth time - but now he’s trying to temper it with “but I was talking with Ed as he was dying in the hospital and it was all good” so he looks like he was Ed’s best pal. While Sam’s basically bitching about Wolfie because Michael wasn’t around.

Oh, God, and don’t tell anyone he was ever in Van Halen. While he’s doing “Right Now” every night.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'll take Sammys hot air over Daves bombastic diarrhea of the mouth any day.

Cant stand that tacky mf.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Dave sucks. Totally. I loved Dave for being Dave but Dave just can’t fucking stop being Dave.

HOWEVER … Dave, at least, has the credentials of writing the lyrics for pretty much all the original Van Halen hits.

As someone who was around during Van Halen’s first album and their meteoric rise to fame … a lot of that was due to Ed, absolutely, but a TON of it was due to Dave, and his lyrics and showmanship.

Sammy?

He was brought in by the manager. We already knew him from Montrose, which was a great band. It wasn’t a difficult transition.

But Sam goes shit-talking Ed and Alex in interviews, and then bitches about how Mikey lost his job?

Ed said the ONLY reason he toured again was because WOLF was there. Period. There wouldn’t have been another album or tour had Ed’s son not been involved to help Ed handle it all.

But here’s Sam, still complaining about Ed after he’s dead, still bitching about Alex. Ed said “why didn’t you just call me?” Yeah, good question, Sam. You’re still telling this same story, 90 times, bitching how Alex won’t return your calls. Ed’s been dead TWO YEARS, and you’re chasing down a journalist, wanting to tell “your side of the story” that you’ve told 50 fucking times. Meanwhile, where’s Dave?

And they DID return DAVE’S calls. That’s gotta tell you something right there, on the totem pole of dick-ology.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    To be fair, when anyone interview Sammy Hagar most of the questions will be about Van Halen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    To be fair, when anyone interview Sammy Hagar most of the questions will be about Van Halen.
    Near the end of the interview, the conversation inevitably turned toward Van Halen and the possibility of a tribute concert to Eddie Van Halen featuring all the surviving members of the band. A few days later, we heard from Hagar’s camp that he wanted to get back on the phone: He had a lot more to say about his former band. “I really think that it’s OK just to speak how I really feel now,” he said when we reconnected, “because there is no animosity left in my heart, in my soul, anywhere.”
    Yawn.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So what? He called back. Whenever Hagar gives an interview he will be asked VH questions and that's going to get the most amount of attention. He exaggerates ("I was as big as Van Halen in 1984"), but that is nothing new.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sammy Hagar and The Circle's new album Crazy Times is pretty good. It's not a stone cold classic, but it's a solid hard rock album. Sam sounds great at 75.