Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep It Together

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    Why anyone on a NIN forum would complain that it sounds too samey to NIN on a NIN forum is beyond me to begin with.
    Do you strictly hang out with friends who agree with everything you say and do? Being a fan of someone's back catalogue doesn't mean you can't develop and express opinions that might critique new work; make fun of it or expect something diffrent. Some of my favorite writers and filmmakers usually release work that I start to feel as recycled or less interesting compared to previous work. It doesn't mean I don't like the artist, it means I'm not feeling that particular piece. In this case: It's not NIN, it's HTDA and it feels like the lyrics were grabbed from 5 other NIN songs. It feels recycled and predictable = something I'm not used to when it comes to Trent's work (well, I'm starting to get used to it, to be honest).

"It's free music, shut the F up" - when people bring in money to the discussion (I know you didn't) you know you're discussing two entirely different things.

We're all talking about Trent Reznor, probably one of the first people to throw other musicians under the bus in social media (Chris Cornell?).

Who knows, maybe this new EP is amazing, disappointing first single though.
    Last edited by hobochic; 10-11-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: pure love

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Do you strictly hang out with friends who agree with everything you say and do? Being a fan of someone's back catalogue doesn't mean you can't develop and express opinions that might critique new work; make fun of it or question it. Some of my favorite writers and filmmakers usually release work that I start to feel as recycled or less interesting compared to previous work. It doesn't mean I don't like the artist, it means I'm not feeling that particular piece. In this case: It's not NIN, it's HTDA and it feels like the lyrics were grabbed from 5 other NIN songs. It feels recycled and predictable = something I'm not used to when it comes to Trent's work (well, I'm starting to get used to it, to be honest).

"It's free music, shut the F up" - when people bring in money to the discussion (I know you didn't) you know the conversation is over.

We're all talking about Trent Reznor, probably one of the first people to throw other musicians under the bus in social media (Chris Cornell?).

Who knows, maybe this new EP is amazing, shitty first single though.
    I'm unsure how this comes into the equation but when it comes to people I know I share complete opposites when it comes to taste. Trent has used those themes in pretty much all his albums from the very beginning. It would be very difficult to be a fan of Trents work if this puts you off. I understand that people were expecting this band to be different and in my eyes they very much are but this is still Trent Reznor and music from him will carry his style no matter how different you expect it to be.

I don't know why I care if people like it or not. I guess It's just frustrating that now the musics out it hasn't been received well when I really cant understand what the problem is. Mariqueen is fantastic, it contains Robs finest work, and Atticus and Trent are showing how far the soundtracks have gotten them when it comes to dark tones and ambience.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    I guess It's just frustrating that now the musics out it hasn't been received well when I really cant understand what the problem is.
    I don't know, but from the little I've seen on this forum the new music seems to be liked by most fans. I'm surprised by how well it's being received actually. It gives me hope and I would love to be wrong about this project

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    what's the problem if it's not received well? who the fuck cares. music is emotion like art.
    you like it or you like it not.
    i like it, and that's the most important thing for me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    who the fuck cares. music is emotion like art.
    you like it or you like it not.
    i like it, and that's the most important thing for me.
    I wanna like it too dammit.

But I HATE it. THAT's my problem.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    To be fair: Lyrics never been NIN's strong point (with the exception of TDS, The Slip and maybe Year Zero). For me it's always been the production that kept me hooked on Trents music...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been stewing over this, and find the posts in this thread interesting. The phrase I notice over and over is "growing on me." It looks like the NIN fan base is trying very hard to like this, even after having a less than positive initial reaction to it. A loyal bunch. From a marketing perspective, I don't think a song that has to grow on you is going to get very far, and as some have said, isn't going to bring in new fans.

Many of the original NIN fans from the Broken/TDS era already jumped ship when WT came out. But THTF brought in legions of new fans. Recent tours saw audiences filled with fresh, young, college-aged faces. How many of them will weather this shift? They came to rock out. Will they stay to hear Q drone? Trent's "space in the music" might translate into space in the concert venue. Signing with a major label doesn't look like a bad idea. They can use the marketing clout.

Personally, I hoped it would grow on me, too. But after several listenings, I had to face facts. When the track starts, I am attracted to the feel of it. But then Q starts singing about skin and I cringe. It's all about the lyrics after that. And the overlapping vocals seems gimmicky to me. What to do? I've had such a good time loving NIN, I don't want to let go. I guess I'll have to step aside and watch from the wings in case things heat up again.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe this is Reznor's take on “industrial” genre after all? (instead of his usual stadium rock he made with nin)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    To be fair: Lyrics never been NIN's strong point (with the exception of TDS, The Slip and maybe Year Zero). For me it's always been the production that kept me hooked on Trents music...
    hahahaha ... year zero and the slip? ich....
    still, TR's lyrics I've always thought got a bum rap. he's got some clunkers but he's got some real gems in there. sometimes he hits the spot exactly, and frankly, that's much better than most people can do, myself included.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    I've been stewing over this, and find the posts in this thread interesting. The phrase I notice over and over is "growing on me." It looks like the NIN fan base is trying very hard to like this, even after having a less than positive initial reaction to it. A loyal bunch. From a marketing perspective, I don't think a song that has to grow on you is going to get very far, and as some have said, isn't going to bring in new fans.

Many of the original NIN fans from the Broken/TDS era already jumped ship when WT came out. But THTF brought in legions of new fans. Recent tours saw audiences filled with fresh, young, college-aged faces. How many of them will weather this shift? They came to rock out. Will they stay to hear Q drone? Trent's "space in the music" might translate into space in the concert venue. Signing with a major label doesn't look like a bad idea. They can use the marketing clout.

Personally, I hoped it would grow on me, too. But after several listenings, I had to face facts. When the track starts, I am attracted to the feel of it. But then Q starts singing about skin and I cringe. It's all about the lyrics after that. And the overlapping vocals seems gimmicky to me. What to do? I've had such a good time loving NIN, I don't want to let go. I guess I'll have to step aside and watch from the wings in case things heat up again.
    I applaud your honesty, but I take issue with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    From a marketing perspective, I don't think a song that has to grow on you is going to get very far, and as some have said, isn't going to bring in new fans.
    From a pop perspective, you're totally right. But there's a lot of markets out there. TR's always been good with headphone-candy and there's a lot in here to like that really only comes out on repeat listens. That sort of stuff is what has given NIN staying power, for me. I'm interested to see him experiment with more dubstep (burial, not skrillex) influences of space and subsonics, which this song has all over it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    I wanna like it too dammit.

But I HATE it. THAT's my problem.
    Me too. I really really really wish I would love this single. But I can't. The more I listen to it, the more I can't take it. I do like the first EP.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Why is everyone talking about the enjoyment of HTDA_-=+)[| as some binary topic?
    I, like the rest of this forum, like NIN a LOT. I also like Reznor, as an artist, a lot. I like Rob, as an artist, a lot. I am going to be interested in any of their future works. Do I like HTDA as much as I like NIN? not even close! That's because I am a gigantic NIN fag. I still enjoy a lot of Reznor's works outside of NIN.
    I feel like most of us are rating the music based on replayability (i know this isn't a "real" word, fuck you). His soundtrack work probably has the least amount of replayability for me. HTDA has much better replayability. I consider his work with Saul and El-P to have even better replayability.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    LOVE or HATE man, LOVE or HATE. PICK ONE AND STICK WITH IT

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I for one like her singing, it really fits...everything about it...vocal quality, delivery... Good melodies. Trent's vocal presence, though, actually throws things up in the air for me, AND it sounds too messy.

The lyrics, while I don't give shits about them, really poke out as all-too-familiar overall. Fuck, man.

The music's not bad...though expected... Thankfully not too glitchy in the beat (could've definitely been worse in that department).

I like the snare that sorta tweaks in pitch after it strikes.

I like the "ahhh"s in the second half.

I don't like the song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I find any good soundtrack work to be highly repeatable for listening.

I've found with music that if the singer/songwriter is quite passionate and can carry a song with minimal instruments, then I am hooked.
    I think hTDa is a different beast altogether.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thoughts on what we are hearing? I bet the notorious swarmatron is in there,,,

• Battery
    • Bass Synth (A# down to C)
    • VOX
    • Something hitting C (Fade in Fade out 8 hits) Plucked string or..?
    • Guitar Drone (A# up to C)
    • (Without TR)- Distant Echo Piano (A# up to G)
    • (With TR)- Distant Echo Piano (A# up to C back to A#)
    • Vocal Synth
    • Noise!
    • C, D, F, G - At 3:24 in the video. Either Piano or Guitar. I could use help with this one because I'm not sure if D, F is # or not.

8/8?
    84 tempo?
    Last edited by snaapz; 10-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm still ok with Mariqueen's vocals, but nothing more. They're not bad, they don't amaze me, they're just... there. I have a feeling that this could become tiresome over an hour of music.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well.... I might get some hate for this comment but here goes.

When I heard that the tags for this were Dance & DJ, I thought I would hear something that would be in a Dance & DJ atmosphere. I was hoping that Trent would finally give us that club dance album we have been waiting for. When I heard this track, I thought it was good but after a few listens, I don't really like it. It's not the sort of track I would listen to during the day whilst walking around or hanging out with friends - Unless it was cold, dark and someone had their heart broken. I do of course understand that Trent and co. have the way of writing sad, depressing things but still; I can listen to a few of the tracks from the first EP anytime of day.

I really want the LP to be great. I'm not trying to bash HTDA or anything - I just found that this track doesn't sit well with me. So hopefully when the LP arrives, we'll all be happy. Or we could just get a boat (or two), row into the middle of Boston harbor and throw a bunch of copies of the LP into the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't call the track sad or depressing at all, I get dark and sexy and slightly creepy vibes. Not a heartbreak song.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    When I heard that the tags for this were Dance & DJ, I thought I would hear something that would be in a Dance & DJ atmosphere. I was hoping that Trent would finally give us that club dance album we have been waiting for.
    You set yourself up for disappointment there. Do you know how much stuff I have on iTunes that's labeled "Blues" just because somebody didn't bother to check to see if it was tagged properly? The tags mean nothing, just like the name of the band with or without an underscore means nothing. It's minutiae. If you just plain didn't care for the track that's fine, but I think getting your hopes up for something based on what some airhead on a website put for the tags was a mistake on your part, not the band's.

And the vibe I got from the song was sort of the vibe I got from Fur Lined. It's this idea of not being able to keep up appearances. Of becoming something else, and that something else may or may not be for the better. The subject is afraid of what might happen if they choose to embrace this.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 10-12-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disclaimer: For those who can't handle bitching, please look away now.

The song sucks. Period. It was a terrible choice for a single. And somehow, they wasted even more time making the completely useless video. When did lazy become creative? I feel foolish for anticipating an album for 12 months, to get a repeated 3 second loop, with terrible lyrics, and messy harmonies on top of it. What in the hell is going on here? Is this really the best you have to offer for an eager audience? Most of the droning/atmosphere music on TGWTDT soundtrack is better. [/bitching]

So where do I buy the EP?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Haha! Well, somebody had to say it.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Has anyone compared the audio of the video to the audio of the download? I'm kind of curious whether or not they actually used the tape machine's audio. Not that it really would make a noticeable difference to human ears, but it seems like the kind of thing they might do. Or they just dubbed on the digital version. *shrug*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Has anyone compared the audio of the video to the audio of the download? I'm kind of curious whether or not they actually used the tape machine's audio. Not that it really would make a noticeable difference to human ears, but it seems like the kind of thing they might do. Or they just dubbed on the digital version. *shrug*
    If you spend more than 5 minutes trying to figure that out, then you would have spent more time they they did making the piece of garbage.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Hey man, you made your point.
    By the way: well seen by a few of you that the singing of Trent isn't synchrome. People with a lot of musical knowledge. Respect!
    Last edited by witte; 10-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfectdruga View Post
    If you spend more than 5 minutes trying to figure that out, then you would have spent more time they they did making the piece of garbage.
    You know, I can understand the complaints that it sounds too much like Nine Inch Nails, or that it's not THE most impressive thing they've put out, but to call it garbage?

Hey man, you made your point.
    By the way: well seen by a few of you that the singing of Trent isn't synchrome. People with a lot of musical knowledge. Respect!
    Yeah, how DARE they make Trent's vocals out of sync with Mariqueen's! Don't they know anything about music?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    You know, I can understand the complaints that it sounds too much like Nine Inch Nails, or that it's not THE most impressive thing they've put out, but to call it garbage?
    I think he means the video. (But he also seems to be looking at it literally as a music video.)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hey man, you made your point. By the way: well seen by a few of you that the singing of Trent isn't synchrome. People with a lot of musical knowledge. Respect!
    Yeah, how DARE they make Trent's vocals out of sync with Mariqueen's! Don't they know anything about music?
    I think nine_inch_nerd is pointing out the keen musical ear of the fans listening.

Did TR say somewhere that he may lose a lot of fans with the next project and have to win them back?
    Last edited by somethingelse; 10-13-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added quotes for context

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You guys need to Keep it Together.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)