Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fragility 1.0 Concert Special (and Big Day Out 2000, too)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    Trent said in an interview once that the crew recorded the last 20 shows of the fragility tour, and thats how AATCHB was compiled...One can only imagine what sits in Reznor's vaults...
    I can imagine this + 2009 wave goodbye last shows !

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Good stuff. The MP4 is the very first torrent I've put on my new Raspberry Pi-powered seedbox.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Trent said in an interview once that the crew recorded the last 20 shows of the fragility tour, and thats how AATCHB was compiled...One can only imagine what sits in Reznor's vaults...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Get Down, Make Love from BDO is incredible! You are a brilliant man, I needed this!

EDIT: I just downloaded the MP3, I love you for the album art.
    Last edited by JamesCmuse; 02-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I can't thank you enough for determination and perseverance! I'm absolutely mind blown! Thank you SO much!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wonder how Trent feels about this, especially considering some embarrassing moments during BDO.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The @nineinchnails account RT'd the hotline's tweet, so I'd say he thinks this is all dandy... or at the very least doesn't give a shit
    Last edited by jessamineny; 02-11-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I wonder how Trent feels about this, especially considering some embarrassing moments during BDO.
    did you mean: the entire thing?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't care. At most he probably thinks it's a cool thing for us to find, or maybe he read the backstory of it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: Fragility 1.0 Concert Special (and Big Day Out 2000, too)

I'm 99 percent sure it was Rob who retweeted it on the NIN account.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Of course it was. But he wouldn't have done it if TR was cranky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man I wish I had a computer. Sounds awesome. Good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Epic! Had some amazing news today, I come here and find this.

Fantastic day!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    I've never heard anything about them. These title cards are the first I've seen of them. Where did they come from? And how does the quality compare to what's on TPB?
    OK, well, now you guys know they're out there. Get to it!

Those screenshots came from a bootleg DVD I picked up in Japan a few years ago. I hadn't really looked at it very closely till now, but this story about the promo tapes inspired me to dig it out and take a closer look at it.

It's definitely a different source from the TV broadcast. The title cards and color bars pretty much confirm that the original source was a trio of promo video tapes (or maybe masters?), IMO. Also, notably, it doesn't have the MTV2 logo bug in the upper-right corner. I didn't do extensive additional comparisons, but I did note that it is still censored (for "fucks" and shit like that) like the broadcast version.

Unfortunately, the DVD copy is several generations removed from the master. The video and audio quality are noticeably worse than the yfe copy currently on TPB. The audio is also mono, like the yfe copy. Oh, I also noticed the yfe copy is missing the first 6 seconds of the program.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Thanks a bunch for all the effort that went into this! I finally took the time two watch both and they are leaps and bounds better than the shit I got form Kazaa and the likes back in the day.

It is also nice to know that there might be some snippets from the show in Munich in there although I can not make them out. I'm still utterly pissed that I could not see NIN and the fragility tour as I prefer some of the early visuals over the fragility 2.0 legs (e.g. the great below).

I was also wondering what Trent might think of his stage persona from back in the day, but on the other hand he and the band delivered a pretty solid show and gave us (the fans) what we wanted unlike what some other coked-out former friend of his is torturing fans with now. :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Okay...wow. 2 songs into BDO, and I've got chills. To see a man so completely lose his shit in broad daylight is both thrilling and heart-breaking. The Trent I saw in recent years was intense but super-controlled. This Trent doesn't give a fuck. If there is any truth to the 2013 Fragile tour rumor, I can understand Trent's desire to reclaim the music of this era as a sober musician.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    Okay...wow. 2 songs into BDO, and I've got chills. To see a man so completely lose his shit in broad daylight is both thrilling and heart-breaking. The Trent I saw in recent years was intense but super-controlled. This Trent doesn't give a fuck. If there is any truth to the 2013 Fragile tour rumor, I can understand Trent's desire to reclaim the music of this era as a sober musician.
    I had some conversations about this before releasing the tapes... at the time these shows happened, I feel like... I had no idea. I thought that was just part of his style of performing. With a decade of hindsight (and sober performances) it is painfully obvious how obliterated he is during that show, and I'm glad Antiquiet linked to the nin.com post with the quote about those shows:
    i can't watch it at all. I was sick for most of the tour and I really don't think it was nine inch nails at its best - i was certainly not at my best
    In fact, I actually was kind of hesitant about posting the Big Day Out stuff. In a way, it almost feels like airing dirty laundry. But it is what it was... and I'm happy he's gotten past that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    99 percent of NIN fans would argue that the Fragility tour was miles better than the WT/YZ and Wave Goodbye tours put together anyway, regardless that Trent was fucked up....He made that quote about not being able to watch the tour a 2 or 3 years after he got sober. he's been sober a decade now, I am sure it doesnt sicken him that much anymore.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Considering how destroyed he was, he did a pretty damn good job. I know of very few people who can enunciate that well when that gone.

It makes me appreciate how far he has come since then.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Fragility 1.0 Concert Special (and Big Day Out 2000, too)

99 percent of NIN fans would argue that the Fragility tour was miles better than the WT/YZ and Wave Goodbye tours put together anyway, regardless that Trent was fucked up....He made that quote about not being able to watch the tour a 2 or 3 years after he got sober. he's been sober a decade now, I am sure it doesnt sicken him that much anymore.
    99 percent of statistics referenced on the Internet are made up. If the recent tours have let you down, maybe it's time to walk away. I thought LITS was fucking brilliant. Also, there's no way we'd have ever seen Last or WITT live if he hadn't cleaned up. And before you dismiss my opinion as some n00b, understand that I've seen them live as early as '94.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sorry, can't stop laughing at that '99 percent' comment.

While the spontaneity and destruction may have calmed down in the past decade. I would argue that the instrumental precision, visual accompaniment and breadth of the NIN catalog has increased. In other words, as Trent matured, so did his stage and sound presence. I have and will continue to enjoy and appreciate that evolution (as well as seeing him healthy).

So I guess I'm the 1%.... dang.
    Last edited by Canuckle; 02-12-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I am also the 1% whose grammar is atrocious.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Yeah... I saw nine Fragility shows. It seemed pretty cool at the time, but things only got better when they started touring again in 2005. The LITS production was incredible. And then in the second-to-last show I attended, Nine Inch Nails performed The Downward Spiral in its entirety. The Fragility tour featured practically the same setlist every night, and an aesthetic that didn't really match the music that had been released. Everything they've done live since then has been so much more interesting, starting almost immediately, with the Still sessions.

It's funny, I remember standing in the field at Lollapalooza while NIN was performing, and the guy next to me says, "I hope they play more from With Teeth." It's easy to identify the album that came out when you became a fan as being the 'best' album or era. For many people, that's The Downward Spiral or The Fragile - but there are also a ton of people who excitedly joined up when With Teeth was released, and a whole slew of n00bs who came onboard with Year Zero & The Slip.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It's funny, I remember standing in the field at Lollapalooza while NIN was performing, and the guy next to me says, "I hope they play more from With Teeth." It's easy to identify the album that came out when you became a fan as being the 'best' album or era. For many people, that's The Downward Spiral or The Fragile - but there are also a ton of people who excitedly joined up when With Teeth was released, and a whole slew of n00bs who came onboard with Year Zero & The Slip.
    I have a strong suspicion this is the reason why many people hark back to the Fragility tour as the climax in NIN tours. They would argue that this was the penultimate before NIN lost its' 'edge'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus! I never really was a big fan of "Even Deeper", but this rendition blows a lot of my other favorite NIN live-records out of the water. Thank you so much!

As a side-observation: I became an active fan of NIN circa 2003, shortly after Still was released... so I'm more familiar with the sober/got-my-shit-together Treznor than the drunken mess he allegedly was during the haydays of the self-destruct and fragility-tours. So watching BDOs March of the Pigs was kinda sad. He was even to drunk to insult the poor pigs...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Hey come on I saw paris '94 and '99 and he was surely not like this, actually i'm really asking myself if he tried extasy or acids at BDO ? I mean, all that love, the touching, the smiles, i didn't know Trent was actually smiling (like this, anyway)... We already saw them in ackward moments, and this didn't looked like BDO ! I'm thinking of these 3 amazing old 95 bowie stuff previously unlocked http://twitter.yfrog.com/bf562oj
    Also he really loved that show back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha ha, in the BDO video, the high-five at 18:05 is hilarious!!

Thanx for sharing this!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Ha ha, in the BDO video, the high-five at 18:05 is hilarious!!

Thanx for sharing this!!
    LOL I never noticed that. That's hilarious. Btw, what's that on Trent's arm?

The most hilarious for me was this at the beginning of MOTP.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickL View Post
    LOL I never noticed that. That's hilarious. Btw, what's that on Trent's arm?

The most hilarious for me was this at the beginning of MOTP.
    A still from that gif was Eatyourblud's avatar for so long that I cannot find it funny even if I wanted too.

As many, I'm very grateful for the BDO's footage but it mostly makes me sad seeing TR like this. There's nothing entertaining in watching someone trying to kill themselves with alcohol. But it is a part of NIN's history and it is what it is.

Did TR say that he doesn't even remember the Australian part of the tour?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There's an interview out there with the BDO interview team (Jabba - Australia's dirty secret) and Trent seems pretty hungover / "flu-stricken"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I would say Fragility tour was Trent at his best if he wasn't completely obliterated. I love chaotic performances, just not the drug/alcohol abuse that fuels them.