Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    he was SO GREAT on saturday in chicago. i saw him a couple years ago when he toured on the pleasure principle, and it was fun & awesome, but this was just something else.

the new material REALLY shines live, and the old material sounds so great (and not even remotely out of place) in the new style. and gary puts on a fucking show. he's so fun to watch!

plus, the guitar player looked like a slightly altered model of the T-1000 so my friend and i were making terrible jokes about it all night.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Did you see Billy Corgan? He was there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah I was blown away by his performance too. He's got such an interesting mix sound wise during the concert, everything blended so well together and was really dense. Production-wise the presentation almost reminded me of an early-90s NIN show minus the utter chaos. I'd go so far as to say it was the best "sounding" show I've been to in the last 10 years at least.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Yeah I was blown away by his performance too. He's got such an interesting mix sound wise during the concert, everything blended so well together and was really dense. Production-wise the presentation almost reminded me of an early-90s NIN show minus the utter chaos. I'd go so far as to say it was the best "sounding" show I've been to in the last 10 years at least.
    definitely one of the best-sounding shows i've ever seen at the metro (where the low-end is usually cranked SO LOUD and you can't hear the guitar(s) at all).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Gary Numan

I just watched a Gary Numan Documentary that I had recorded from Sky Arts 1, called, Gary Numan... Reinvention: The Electric Warrior, it charts his journey from Tubeway Army, till now, and people who he has influenced, and Trent is even interviewed too, Gary talks about his guest appearances with NIИ and how TDS is one of his favourite albums! really worth a watch if you can get Sky Arts!

found it on YouTube

Part 1 of 5:
    Part 2 of 5:
    Part 3 of 5:
    Part 4 of 5:
    Part 5 of 5:
    Last edited by [parasite]; 04-02-2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: added YouTube source

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    I just watched a Gary Numan Documentary that I had recorded from Sky Arts 1, called, Gary Numan... Reinvention: The Electric Warrior, it charts his journey from Tubeway Army, till now, and people who he has influenced, and Trent is even interviewed too, Gary talks about his guest appearances with NIИ and how TDS is one of his favourite albums! really worth a watch if you can get Sky Arts!

found it on YouTube
    Oh I was so happy you found Part 4 but it doesn't work. (It's been gone from YT for a while.)

This show was actually just on again in the UK a couple nights ago so I'm hoping it reappears on YT.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have it on my Sky Box but don't know if it's possible to move it to a usb? I'll have a look about!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^^Oh if you can, you'd be a hero among YT GN fans! There are lots of requests for Part 4. Not sure why that one was taken off or pulled and not the others. There used to be a really crappy version (someone filming his TV with a phone, it looked like) but I think that's gone now too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Saw Gary last thursday here in KC at probably one of the smallest venues in town and I'm still reeling over how great of a show it was. Gary was ON FUCKING POINT, man. Dude still 100% has it. We got right against the stage and Tim ended up fucking around with us through the whole show by playfully putting his bass an inch from our faces, and at one point leaned in and let me lay me head against his shoulder which gave everyone in the front row a good laugh. Such an insanely fun time.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post

Hm,

The upcoming "intimate" gig, the Aussie/NZ VIPs and other UK VIPs all say:

- A Limited Edition CD featuring an exclusive, previously unreleased track and Exclusive Artwork

We should keep a list and see if they're all different. I want them all in mp3 format!

I think I'm up to date so far with the most recent being the Piano version of "Dead Sun Rising" - though I did notice that the "A Shadow Falls On Me" demo from the VIP CDs sounds much clearer and crisper than the mp3 Gary put online before "Splinter (SFABM)" came out.

As best I can gather so far, VIP-wise, we have:

- Everything Comes Down To This (Demo) - note: this sounds the same as the demo Gary put online prior to Splinter coming out
    - Here In The Black (VIP Splinter Tour Early Demo) - note: this is exclusive to this VIP meet and greet disc
    - Dead Sun Rising (Piano Version) - note: this is exclusive to this VIP meet and greet disc
    - A Shadow Falls On Me (Demo) - note: this is the same as the one Gary put online prior to "Splinter" coming out, but it sounds much crisper/clearer (at least the one currently on YouTube)

...we await for more. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.
    Last edited by Ryan; 04-24-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So I realized today that despite being a fan for over a decade, I'm still woefully unfamiliar with Gary's mid 80's through early 90's output (basically everything from Dance through to Sacrifice) save for a few live staples like My Breathing. Is there really such a consensus among fans and critics that the era generally sucked? I mean, I'm checking out Berserker right now, sure some of it's cheesy, but God-Dayum!!!...My Dying Machine is a superb song! Would anyone care to point out some other highlights from those records worth checking out?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    So I realized today that despite being a fan for over a decade, I'm still woefully unfamiliar with Gary's mid 80's through early 90's output (basically everything from Dance through to Sacrifice) save for a few live staples like My Breathing. Is there really such a consensus among fans and critics that the era generally sucked? I mean, I'm checking out Berserker right now, sure some of it's cheesy, but God-Dayum!!!...My Dying Machine is a superb song! Would anyone care to point out some other highlights from those records worth checking out?
    my friend/old vocalist did a great cover of Voix from that period. i actually like it better than the original, though ;p

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    My Breathing
    No Shelter (instrumental)
    River (instrumental)
    Dark Mountain (instrumental)
    I Wonder
    Heart
    Dream Killer
    God Only Knows
    I Still Remember
    This Is Love
    Time To Die
    Dance (title track)
    Exhibition
    My Brother's Time
    Voix
    America

The entirety of Sacrifice (my favorite Numan record) and also the extended version.

b-sides: Whisper Of Truth, Metal Beat, Play Like God

All of this instrumental record which was the basis for Sacrifice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rad...deo_Soundtrack

Also this instrumental only record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_%...Numan_album%29
    Last edited by Ryan; 04-29-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There is some amazing shit on Dance and I, Assassin.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "Exhibition" and the title track of "Dance" are amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    There is some amazing shit on Dance and I, Assassin.
    dance is actually one of my favorite albums. i, assassin is ok, but dance is way better.

also, stormtrooper in drag is possibly my favorite song in which gary ever had a hand. (he plays bass and paul gardiner, his old bassist, plays guitar...can't remember who wrote the lyrics, but gary still sings) (also, botley, i'm not telling this to you, since i'm sure you already knew all that )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, some great suggestions there. So far I'm loving Berserker and looking forward to checking out Dance next. Also, is it just me, or is there a massive similarity between the songs 'A Child With the Ghost' and 'Little Invitro' from Pure? As soon as I heard it I thought it sounded familiar, was it intentional?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, some great suggestions there. So far I'm loving Berserker and looking forward to checking out Dance next. Also, is it just me, or is there a massive similarity between the songs 'A Child With the Ghost' and 'Little Invitro' from Pure? As soon as I heard it I thought it sounded familiar, was it intentional?
    Well, A Child With The Ghost is about a friend of Gary's who died, and Little Invitro is about the miscarriages and babies he and and his wife Gemma lost when they were trying for kids around that time. They're both poignant songs.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Pure has become my second favorite Numan record.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well, A Child With The Ghost is about a friend of Gary's who died, and Little Invitro is about the miscarriages and babies he and and his wife Gemma lost when they were trying for kids around that time. They're both poignant songs.
    To be more precise re: the former --

The poignant track "A Child with the Ghost" was Numan's tribute to his friend and former bassist Paul Gardiner, who died in February 1984 from a deliberate heroin overdose.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Which reminds me: he usually does a song at his shows in tribute to Paul every few years. In '94 it was "Stormtrooper in Drag", ten years later in '04 they did its B-side, "Night Talk" (I'd shit my pants if he pulled that one out again — one of my all-time favourites). "Complex" was also dedicated to him on the Pleasure Principle Tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't know that about either of those songs. Now they seem all the more powerful.

On yet another note, I've grabbed myself tickets to see Gary play in June. Anyone here ever gone for the VIP packages and met the man himself? I'm debating pulling out the £££ to meet him (and not eating after for a while), just wondering how long you get with Gary?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am what you would call a mega Gary Numan fan boy. The man has never let me down with his live records. He puts up an amazing show for his fans!

You guys should totally check out his live records

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Which reminds me: he usually does a song at his shows in tribute to Paul every few years. In '94 it was "Stormtrooper in Drag", ten years later in '04 they did its B-side, "Night Talk" (I'd shit my pants if he pulled that one out again — one of my all-time favourites). "Complex" was also dedicated to him on the Pleasure Principle Tour.
    Posting this here so others can see it, while I bump you

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gary Numan Official @numanofficial Working on edits for the 'From Inside' film score today. Just stopped for an hour of Australian & New Zealand tour phone interviews. GN

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Nash The Slash died a few days ago. He played violin on the Dance album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Gary posted that the band is going to be different for the NZ/AUS tour. You know anything Ryan? I assume they just couldn't go all that way with Gary and this is temporary? I really liked the band he had together. Real sad Ade won't be there.

Steve Harris Guitar, Tim Slade Bass, Frank Zummo Drums, Josh Giroux Keys

Have any of these guys aside from Steve toured with Gary before?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Gary posted that the band is going to be different for the NZ/AUS tour. You know anything Ryan? I assume they just couldn't go all that way with Gary and this is temporary? I really liked the band he had together. Real sad Ade won't be there.

Steve Harris Guitar, Tim Slade Bass, Frank Zummo Drums, Josh Giroux Keys

Have any of these guys aside from Steve toured with Gary before?
    Steve Harris toured with Numan quite a bit in the last decade. Pretty sure he was on the Pure and Jagged tours.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nash The Slash died a few days ago. He played violin on the Dance album.

Wow that really sucks. Nash the Slash is all over the Micromusic/Living Ornmaents 81 performances.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
    Steve Harris toured with Numan quite a bit in the last decade. Pretty sure he was on the Pure and Jagged tours.
    Did you even read my post?

I said aside from Steve.....wow!