Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Predator

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just saw the film the other day and will add my voice to the chorus of "meh"s. Surprisingly didn't hate the embellishments to the Predator lore, and there was some entertainment to be had (loved the Exile Predator's choreography for example), but... I was listening to a podcast today which described it as playing like a Predator comic, and that summed it up pretty well. Seems like kind of a stream-of-consciousness thing with little attention given to plausibility, tension or subtext.

I guess this might be the right place to bring this up, but does anyone else here love Predator 2? I've had 28 years to get over it not starring Arnold, and while it might not hit on the same level as the original (which IMO is basically a perfect film), it manages to be atmospheric, brutal and entertaining without The Predator's shortcomings. Great cast too, in a very different way to the first film.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Pradator 2 is fucking awesome, man. High five!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I guess this might be the right place to bring this up, but does anyone else here love Predator 2? I've had 28 years to get over it not starring Arnold, and while it might not hit on the same level as the original (which IMO is basically a perfect film), it manages to be atmospheric, brutal and entertaining without The Predator's shortcomings. Great cast too, in a very different way to the first film.
    I love that it's a cop movie, with all of the basic cliches of that genre entwined with the sci-fi/horror of the original. It's by no means better or even equal to the first movie, but it's very good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The best thing about Predator 2 is the contrast between hunters. In the first movie, the Predator is a confident killing machine, taking his time, stalking his prey, carefully considering his surroundings at all times, in control of himself. In the second movie, this Predator is overconfident, not as experienced, acting more like a hunter just out of adolescence. he believes he's untouchable, and he makes mistakes constantly, yet still manages to defeat nearly everyone who stands against him because the humans are cocky, sloppy, and untrained. He's a young Predator who's "fat and happy" in his concrete jungle, and this is ultimately why he fails. It's a fascinating look into Predator culture and the kind of disparity that exists between hunter skill levels.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "The Predator". What a hot mess. Disappointing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Prey was really good. Best since P2, and I think I enjoyed it a bit more. This was the type of Predator movie I have been waiting for since the pistol at the end of P2. I'm down to watch a bunch of Predator movies throughout the years... knights, romans, samurais, spartans, ww1 or 2...etc. Bring em on.

My updated Predator ratings, Predator: 10/10, Predator 2: 6/10, Predators: 4/10, The Predator: 2/10, Prey: 7/10

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished up watching "Prey", and while not really being the genre of movie I really like, it was still quite enjoyable. I may be biased from the scenery though...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dan Trachtenberg is returning to write and direct another Predator movie called 'Badlands' as well as a sequel to 'Prey'! Article.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 02-09-2024 at 12:27 PM.