Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The irony here is that you are extremely worried about how people view her. She's already stated repeatedly that she doesn't want to be compared to other pop stars in any quantitative measurement and that she prefers those same people (as well as herself) to be viewed by their own merits. She's also stated that she'd much prefer being a producer over being front and center on stage. I'd wager the biggest contributor to her releasing new music as Grimes is the pressure brought on from being placed on a pedestal by fans and the music press alike.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Referencing having mass appeal when it suits your needs isn't fooling anyone. The irony here is that Grimes was and probably still is extremely worried of how people view her. She has definitely bent her style to what she assumes would please the most individuals possible.

From what i see of her is that she clearly WANTS to be extremely popular. That's the fucking irony here.
    dude nobody here needed her to be their niche artist. you're projecting all your weird hangups onto her.

"please grimes, could you please step back into rabbit's box lol?"

she made albums i liked, one i loved, and the new one i've never been huge on. but she already did stuff that appeals to me, i don't need her to keep churning out what some white dude on the internet wants. i'd rather she do her own thing that expresses her life. who knows, maybe next week ART ANGELS will click with me and i'll be 100% on board.

but i mean, what could she possibly owe me? who takes that attitude except for the entitled?
    Last edited by emptydesk; 02-12-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Halfaxa sounds like if nin fucked lady Gaga like an animal and their bad romance produced grimes

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Hey Rabbit, next time you and Grimes are chillaxing, please tell me how many sugars she likes in her fucking coffee. You talk about these people (Reference to other threads you completely dilute) like you know them personally lawl. Step out of your box, believe me, there are some exciting things out there in the world. Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Basically anyone with common sense should understand that popular success and mass appeal are neither inherently good nor bad, so, regardless of whether you like or dislike an album, it's kind of pointless to be bringing it up at all. You can find great music and shitty music at all levels of popularity, so it contributes nothing to bring it up in a debate about the artistic merit of anything. The only reason you might bring it up is if you're personally invested in the scene politics that surround the music itself, where albums/bands/etc are treated like personal style accessories to help people project a certain identity. I guess pop culture is always going to have that whole fashionista dimension to it, but still, it's kind of a self-conscious and insincere way to interact with music and art, and I have a hard time taking opinions like that super seriously, especially since I'm not a teenager anymore and no longer give a fuck about any of that shit.

And for that matter, I'm not even sure that today's teenagers give much of a shit either. The fucking 90s are over, and so are its antiquated concepts of "selling out" and "authenticity" and that old "mainstream vs. underground" binary value system. All that bullshit has been obliterated in the wake of the internet. We're living in a post-poptimism, post-tumblr world, and mass culture has been gradually splintering off into a billion little micro-cultures and sub-scenes. Everything is evolving into this post-modern collage. Grimes is practically the poster child of this culture, so trying to assess her work using an outdated and irrelevant framework is completely missing the point. It's like saying you don't like punk because it's noisy, or you don't like rap because they're not singing, or you don't like electronic music because it's programmed, and so on. You have to consider an artist on their own terms, using their own value system, otherwise you're not really hearing them at all and you should probably just call it a day on trying to have a serious opinion about them.
    Last edited by Mantra; 02-13-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have 1 spare ticket for the Grimes concert @ London Brixton Academy on 10th March 2006. I will sell it for ticket face value (£23 GBP) via paypal only!
    If you want it, send a pm.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^^^^^ Gone.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Watching a documentary on Kate Bush. It seems that Grimes' screaming is reminiscent of Kate's screaming/singing style (also related to Yoko Ono's screaming style). Something else that's reminiscent of Kate Bush is Grimes' total control and production of her work.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 02-27-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to the new vinyl pressing of Geidi Primes today. sounded quite good! looking forward to the Halafaxa reissue.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So Little Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence did a remix of Kill v Maim...
    Last edited by neorev; 03-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Glasgow rocked last night!! Very energetic and fun show. Go see.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So the Grimes show in Dublin last night was horrifically disappointing. Apart from the terrible sound in the venue, Grimes was riddled with numerous tech issues, most notably her earpiece/IEM effectively electrocuting her. The audience could her the crackles as it was happening. Unreal. you could see it hurt, each time, and she was getting progressively more agitated with her tech person/stagehand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    So the Grimes show in Dublin last night was horrifically disappointing. Apart from the terrible sound in the venue, Grimes was riddled with numerous tech issues, most notably her earpiece/IEM effectively electrocuting her. The audience could her the crackles as it was happening. Unreal. you could see it hurt, each time, and she was getting progressively more agitated with her tech person/stagehand.
    That's a shame.
    Glasgow was a blast. My only gripe was the totally ridiculous no camera rule. Fine for a couple thousand people snapping away with phones, but not for me or others with compact cameras. stupid. Great show though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If she was electrocuted she would be dead. Thanks for trying though, Yahoo News.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    If she was electrocuted she would be dead. Thanks for trying though, Yahoo News.
    Not true...

e·lec·tro·cute

əˈlektrəˌkyo͞ot/
    verb
    past tense: electrocuted; past participle: electrocuted
    injure or kill someone by electric shock.

I've been electrocuted and I'm alive. Like full on vibration through my body from the surge of electricity. It wasn't fun.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Not true...

e·lec·tro·cute

əˈlektrəˌkyo͞ot/
    verb
    past tense: electrocuted; past participle: electrocuted
    injure or kill someone by electric shock.

I've been electrocuted and I'm alive. Like full on vibration through my body from the surge of electricity. It wasn't fun.
    I respectfully disagree. Your dictionary source? The word itself is a pormanteau, derived from "electro", and "execute". It's formal meaning does not extend outside of death via electric shock, most dictionaries will support that. It is very commonly misused to describe the instance of an injury nowadays, though, as our culture has a terrible habit of bastardizing the english language.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I respectfully disagree. Your dictionary source? The word itself is a pormanteau, derived from "electro", and "execute". It's formal meaning does not extend outside of death via electric shock, most dictionaries will support that. It is very commonly misused to describe the instance of an injury nowadays, though, as our culture has a terrible habit of bastardizing the english language.
    Language changes just as music changes. Grimes is a perfect example of that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Source:
    Oxford English Dictionary

Also seen here... http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...sh/electrocute

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Ffs. Let's just say she suffered electric shocks then, or is that the wrong phrase too?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the new vinyl reissue of Halafaxa came last week. haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if the Geidi Primes reissue is any indication, it'll sound great!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    http://actuallygrimes.tumblr.com/pos...s-is-saying-im

Hey!
    contrary to what some press is saying, I’m not ‘half-way done’ another record, nor will i be playing new music at upcoming shows. Of course im always working on new stuff, but i havent taken even a weekend off in years at this point, and i’ll need to chill when this cycle is over so please don’t set expectations too high.

last time, everyone wanted the visiosn follow up right away and any off-hand comment i made about new material became the weapon by which i was attacked, so to save my self grief i am publicly stating that there is no new music coming any time soon. I really need a break and I intent to take one.
    I’m sure this will picked this up now and referred to it as a delay or a lost album or a rant/ screed/ melt down. just fyi, it is none of these things. This is literally nothing besides a ‘clarification’ i am clarifying that, as with art angels, I expect to take my time again.
    (although to be fair, I wrote all of art angels in under a year so it actually didn’t take that long when you consider that most artists who write their own material can easily take 3 + years, classic examples: tragic kingdom, downward spiral, the fragile etc. etc.)

much love to y’all <3 <3 <3
    G

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^^ Lol! Thanks for posting the truth.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    never bad to get a shout out from one of the hottest artists in music at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm glad she is standing up for herself and making statements before the press starts twisting it all again. It has been great to see her becoming more confident in herself as an artist. Part of me really hopes she does go ahead and release those songs pre Art Angels. She said she would on Twitter. My life isn't going to be complete until I have a studio version of "David" to blast in the car!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    men are disgusting.

“We won’t finish the song unless you come back to my hotel room.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone watch Grimes performance from Coachella?

I'm watching the live broadcast and there's many moments where she sounds quite terrible. Sure, there's energy... but some of her vocals were really bad. She sounded like a deaf Japanese girl with a lisp. Shitty sound and levels too. Me and my girl like her stuff, been following for a while. But wow, a bit disappointing. There's only so much lights and dancers can do. Plus her set was cut short. Only did 45 minutes.

At the end, as Grimes walked off stage, you can hear her mic pick up her saying "Wow, that was fucked."