Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Trevor to me is like Hunter S. Thompson and GG Allin crammed together, with a little Dale Gribble.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    Trevor reminds me of Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. GTAV has awesome writing and performances (voice and mocap) all around, but Trevor in particular stands completely on his own. I'm deeply impressed.
    I couldn't agree less. I'm constantly surprised at how uninspiring most of the writing and animation is, especially for a game with such a huge budget and long development. But I guess that isn't what the game's popular for and those aspects need to be pushed aside so it strengths (diverse, open world filled with shit to do) can shine through.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    I couldn't agree less. I'm constantly surprised at how uninspiring most of the writing and animation is, especially for a game with such a huge budget and long development. But I guess that isn't what the game's popular for and those aspects need to be pushed aside so it strengths (diverse, open world filled with shit to do) can shine through.
    I agree that it's uninspired but at the same time I think it isn't... bad per se, just impotent. The ending leaves a bunch of details out in the wind, there's tons of opportunities to dig deeper into the characters and their relationships that are completely passed over. But at the same time I enjoyed the banter and dialogue in the moment and i always wanted to see what happened next. kind of a wierd balancing act.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I agree that it's uninspired but at the same time I think it isn't... bad per se, just impotent. The ending leaves a bunch of details out in the wind, there's tons of opportunities to dig deeper into the characters and their relationships that are completely passed over. But at the same time I enjoyed the banter and dialogue in the moment and i always wanted to see what happened next. kind of a wierd balancing act.
    I agree completely, there should have been some falling-action type missions, like Spoiler: after the big score and deciding who to kill or not to kill, decide whether or not to tie up loose ends like other people you've worked for or people who have helped you on other jobs, and maybe a few more collaborative missions to get TPE up and running or bring Michaels family closer or get the Ballas out of Franklins neighborhood. It just felt like it ended too soon, they could have easily made another hour of main-story gameplay to ease into the "ok, that's done, now it's all side-missions" open world play style.

Oh, and Spoiler: that Trevor mission where you hijack and dive out of the cargo plane, all for nothing? Really? They couldn't have had a scripted crash so we could use the sub again on a salvage mission, or have it crash near the military base and have Michael and Franklin come up and help recover it while Merryland fights to reclaim it? Come on!

I do have to admit though, this is the first GTA story to keep my interest long enough to see it through to the end on the first play though. I never finished GTA III, Vice City took aeons of me giving up and coming back a while later, San Andreas was way too distraction with side-mission that SEEMED important, and IV was just tedious. I Love all of them with all of my heart, and while the stories are always AWESOME, this was the first one to actually be paced well and not drag on forever or have any game-breaking insanely difficult mission that made me give up for more than a few hours.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 09-26-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    yeah the cool down was what made the Red Dead Redemption ending work. I'm surprised they didn't do it here.

Also Spoiler: i thought the whole choice to kill michael or trevor thing was bullshit. especially because there was an obvious way out. Who's gonna do that. Why would Franklin do that? the motivation isn't there. I had a feeling they might do that though. But it was so stupid.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    yeah the cool down was what made the Red Dead Redemption ending work. I'm surprised they didn't do it here.

Also Spoiler: i thought the whole choice to kill michael or trevor thing was bullshit. especially because there was an obvious way out. Who's gonna do that. Why would Franklin do that? the motivation isn't there. I had a feeling they might do that though. But it was so stupid.
    Spoiler: Honestly I thought the "death wish" option was actually "kill Franklin", and during the huge take-down of everyone else, Franklin would have had to be killed off. It would have really sucked to have no way to end the game without having all 3 to free-play with, but I think giving any choice at all was stupid. the options should have been "Kill Devon", "Kill Steve", or "Kill them both", which would have had a HUGE impact on the post-main-story gameplay. Instead of an alternate ENDING it could have been an alternate mid-game, and depending on which you choose could have had a different last quarter of the game and added a LOT to the re-playability.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED Who's down for a ETS GTA meet-up? Launch day is going to be a clusterfuck but at some time in the coming weeks we should all get together and fuck some shit up. I don't currently have an active account but add me (GarrettR33) on Xbox Live and I should have it up and running within a week.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 09-26-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    I'm loving most of the radio stations, though the Mexican one is really obnoxious to me. I wish FlyLo's station was a bit better, as that is half the reason why I wanted the game in the first place. Soulwax is quality and both rap stations are great, but I think the true hidden gem is Lowdown FM. "California Soul" being included makes the game legendary in my eyes.

That said, I gotta be honest: The best thing about the game's music is the original score. I love all of the ambient music. The stuff that plays during loading screens, during missions, while paused in the menu... It's all excellent. Like, seriously good stuff. I can't praise it highly enough. I really hope Rockstar releases it as an album or three very soon.
    I think DJ Shadow did the score, and it will be released as a collection with the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOL at some people on the net saying the main storyline is 'too short'. I'm about 18 hours played and at like 55% completion. Need to recruit some of these people for my crew, could always use a couple social giants that are online 24/7 to beef up the money pot lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    LOL at some people on the net saying the main storyline is 'too short'. I'm about 18 hours played and at like 55% completion. Need to recruit some of these people for my crew, could always use a couple social giants that are online 24/7 to beef up the money pot lol.
    Really? I've clocked about 13 hours total and am only around 38%. I don't even really play this game everyday for hours on end. I haven't even really touched it since Tuesday. People that complain it's too short are probably people that buy a game on launch and are done with it a few days later. I've never understood why people do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The likeness to Jack Nicholson is intentional, there's an unlockable clothing item, the Overlook Jacket, straight outta The Shining.

Has anyone signed up to the Rockstar Social Club yet? Checking out other peoples Snapmatic posts and comparing the stuff you do to the stuff your friends do is actually pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Any more talk about creating an ETS crew?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I wouldn't say it was TOO short, but it's definitely the shortest of the 3D GTA games.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    None but I'm game for it since GTA Online Launch is tomorrow. I won't hold my breath for the launch though. I'm sure it'll be an overpopulated, crowded mess. Probably won't work properly for weeks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    At least they're not launching it on a weekend. That gives us a SLIGHTLY better chance that people will be busy with like work or school or whatever

I'm totally down for an ETS crew, btw.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 09-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    I'm totally down for an ETS crew, btw.
    It's been up for a while.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/hard_as_nails

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    Awesome, just joined! My username is Chowderhawk.
    Me as well.

SPACESUICIDE on there so same.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Oh, shit, I totally missed that if it was posted. I'm joined as GarrettR

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Right on! Joining.

how does the Crew avatar or logo or whatever system work?
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 10-01-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Joined. XMD5a8000.

I created a character for Online but haven't been able to get much further than that. The servers are likely being hammered.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Neither have I. Pretty much stopped after the character creation. Characters name is Heisenberg. Hope to play with you all soon! I hope they fix it soon too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Launch is an utter failure as I predicted. Never made it past character customization (which kinda sucks by the way) and pretty much stalled there. I don't expect to even touch online until the end of the month. Oh well. Whatever.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Jesus, talk about fail.

Why can't they just give us the option to not race on the first mission?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Launch is an utter failure as I predicted. Never made it past character customization (which kinda sucks by the way) and pretty much stalled there. I don't expect to even touch online until the end of the month. Oh well. Whatever.
    Yeah I couldn't get past character creation either and yeah, it kind of sucks anyway. I still have a lot of the story to finish so I'm not too bothered by this, but I was looking forward to tearing up Los Santos with a few friends tonight

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I got up to rank 4 but then I tried to enter a race and it loaded forever, exited to dashboard and went back into it and it said the network was down. since then it's been spotty but still playable for me.

*edit* the crew logo maker is a fickle bitch but I made a NIN logo, should I add it to the crew for now until someone can make a proper ETS one or something?
    Last edited by ibanez33; 10-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I could only get through character creation. And what the fuck was that? With thebgenealogicsl lifestylr bullshit? Just let me build my character!

Whats the name of our crew again? Hard as Nails. PS3?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    R* username: RyzoInnit
    XBL: RyanCoolGal

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It's really insulting to see many people on my friends list actually playing and getting achievements for online and I can't even do the first fucking race tutorial thing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Seeing the amount of butthurt on my Twitter feed about people being unable to play this part of this video game within the first like 12 hours of it being released is makin' me chuckle.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I got in finally. Took forever for it to find someone to join the first race. After we finished the first couple missions I accidentally punched the player in my lobby in the face and then he killed me. Seems like it's gonna be awesome playing with friends

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The servers are killing me, I read online is awesome. Anyone in a crew? Do we need an ETS crew?