Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Trent rocking the tambourine http://instagram.com/p/Rx07T_EKGA/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ice Age should have been the single. One of the best tracks i've heard all year. This may take a bit of time to digest but it easily surpasses the first EP. The band has finally found their true identity and i like it!

Multitracks please TR..pretty please...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Speaking in Tongues is the standout track for me - great way to wrap the EP!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm listening to the EP right now and... FUCK!!!! I need this record. The first one was pretty good but this one is even better. It's got great grooves, amazing production, Mariqueen's vocals are amazing, the beats are truly out of this world. "Ice Age" is a real standout for me. "Speaking in Tongues" is a great closer. I want the full album... now!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Loop Closes is definitely my favorite of this EP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ice Age
    The Loop Closes
    that's it. well, better than nothing!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I love this EP, way better than the first one. Keep it together is maybe the weakest song in it, and yet is the single.
    Ice age and The loop closes are awesome. Really good job T,Q,A,R.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I have yet to preorder this EP. I just haven't been that excited about it. Keep It Together just didn't stick for me and I didn't want to buy the album just for the sake of being a Reznor fan. I DID buy the Keep It Together single when it came out.

I've listened to this quite a number of times over the last 7 hours. It is very different from all the prior HTDA and I really like it. Quite a pleasant surprise. Definitely preordering now.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm going to refrain from posting my thoughts on this, because judging from everyone on here so far, i'm the only one that doesn't like this.
    Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag and posted my true thoughts that I didn't like it. Sorry Echoing The Sound, you can beat me up now.

*goes back to listening to the Uncoiled remixes*

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Loop closes = my fav. . .
    This. I thought the hi hat that comes in half way through was a direct sample of the Closer hi hat, could be wrong though.

Very very different from what I was expecting on the whole, just going through it a second time at the moment, but have enjoyed so far, not as ecstatically as some on here, but it's early days! Speaking in tongues sounds almost Satanic in places! Actually less Q on there than I thought there'd be, but when she's on it, she does great.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I did notice that of the five vocal tracks, Ice age is the only one to feature solely Q on vocals. Pretty big contrast to the first EP, I think. I wonder how the LP will sound in regards to who has what vocal parts.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen. I'm soooo disappointed! I now officially have ZERO enthusiasm for this band.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen. I'm soooo disappointed! I now officially have ZERO enthusiasm for this band.
    Funny I had the exact opposite thought. Even if Trent wasn't with this project, I would be interested in it, I would probably even love it more since I would have no expectations.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Ah well. See ya 'round the NIN forums then.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm liking it. Not really what I was expecting. Not sure what I was ​expecting though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    If Trent Reznor's name wasn't attached to this project, I wouldn't even give it a second listen.
    Neither would I, but I'm now glad that his name is attached to it, because I like what I'm hearing.

Anticipation for the full length album will be increasing now I would expect.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There are a few sounds that have tickled my NIN ear before. Sleep of Reason ending has Eraser like sounds which lead into The Loop Closes - with an almost Closer like melody. Ice Age has a 14 Ghosts II feel to the rhythm.
    It all sounds familiar yet totally different.

Looking forward to the LP next year!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    The loop closes - yup, my vote for most radio ready song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunprimed View Post
    Sleep of Reason ending has Eraser like sounds which lead into The Loop Closes - with an almost Closer like melody.
    It's the Closer hi hat, I'm telling you! (from my earlier post @ 792)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My thoughts exactly. It's a collection of loops by a duo who can do much better (Ross and Reznor, I mean). The only redeeming thing about this entire album is, surprisingly, Mariqueen and her excellent vocals. This isn't different from Nine Inch Nails or the first EP. It's just not good.

If any of you can keep a straight face when hearing Reznor say over and over again "The beginning is the end / Keeps coming round again," then you're more tolerant people than I will ever be.

And now, I will be attacked. *shield up*

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wrote this as I went through the tracks:

Ice Age - Fucking mental. Blew my mind away. What's this?! Reznorian Massive Attack because I absolutely love it. 7 minutes? More like 53 minutes short.
    On The Wing -I can see clearly now?! What? I need to hear the lyrics of this because it sounds a bit Modwheelmood / Sonoio-ish at the start and I can't really figure them out. From the ninwiki lyrics this sounds really Fragile-esque. It's like TSN/TGWTDT fathered a child with The Fragile.
    The Sleep Of Reason Produces Monsters - I tend to wake up with tracks like these (much better than the fog horn I used). Halfway through the song, a cough. Right after my real cough. That was weird. I like the whispering or whatever is going on in the background as it's distracting from the main repetitive them- wait what?! The song ended :|
    The Loop Closes -It reminds me of the Portal 2 soundtrack, sans bass line. I really like the layering here. Again, I hear some The Fragile stuff, like Slipping Away. I like the crescendo. Trent has some nice voice action there but overall the track doesn't have that wow thing the previous ones had.
    Speaking in Tongues - If this is how Ghosts with lyrics is supposed to sound, then I'm happy. It's dark, cold, repetitive, creepy. It's a soundtrack for traveling to one of those haunted houses in Europe (pick any country, really) and fuck your SO while this is blasting up to eleven.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post
    If any of you can keep a straight face when hearing Reznor say over and over again "The beginning is the end / Keeps coming round again," then you're more tolerant people than I will ever be.
    "I was up above it
    But now I'm down in it."

Just saying...

Also, anyone who can say something like Ice Age is just Nine Inch Nails with Mariqueen taking on vocal duties just wants to hate this.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One thorough listen so far and all I can say is:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Digging it. Can't wait for the lossless files and a good headphone listen. Really like the diversity of the EP. Even The Loop Closes, which sounded fairly GWTDT-ish at first, takes that great left turn with the chanting. So far Speaking In Tongues is the only track I can't quite get a grasp on, but that could definitely change.

And while I don't quite know if this is how they're thinking or planning it -- if three of these songs are essentially "b-sides" from the album, I can't wait for what the album has in store for us.

As for most of you, Ice Age came as a wonderfully pleasant surprise after Keep It Together. I've been listening to Ming & Ping's Chinatown this last week, and I ADORE Mariqueen's vocals on that track. I was hoping either something on this EP or something on the album would capture her vocals as wonderfully, sans distortion or effects. Ice Age did it perfectly.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 11-08-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    "I was up above it
    But now I'm down in it."

Just saying...
    The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man, who is also credited for writing "Zero-Sum."

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Also, anyone who can say something like Ice Age is just Nine Inch Nails with Mariqueen taking on vocal duties just wants to hate this.
    Fo sheezy, it is the least TR/AR track I've ever heard, this is not a track that can be labelled a Ghosts outtake with lyrics, or whatever else people labelled EP1, this is clearly a unique track with its own sound. Whether or not this will be the "HTDA sound" remains to be seen, but it's original, it's funky and it's fucking good.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Im sorry but HTDA now officially = Trent turning on the mics while his kids bang around their fucking tinker toys. I loved the debut Ep and the song from GWTDT but this EP sounds hurried and uninspired.

Trent is still stuck in the film scoring thought process. Maybe these tracks will sound better on the full length but this EP sounds tired and tried. Over usage of the banging and clanking gets old real fucking quick.

Never thought I'd say this because I loved the two previous ventures. But these 6 songs sound like one long song. Not worth the overhype and wait.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This EP sounds decidedly un-hurried.

Ice age is the first time Reznor and Co have surprised me in years.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Never thought I'd say this because I loved the two previous ventures. But these 6 songs sound like one long song. Not worth the overhype and wait.
    ...are you listening to this through Skullcandy headphones or something? Even if you don't like it due to some kind of brain abnormality, the tracks sound NOTHING alike

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I liked that post for the Skullcandy bash. Horrible headphones.

On topic, I'm on board with Ice Age being fantastic. Still mostly bored by the rest. I'll listen a few more times but I don't expect that to change for me.