Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Which track? "A Minute To Breathe"? It's definitely Trent.
    The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.

The song that closes the film, "A Minute to Breathe," is very much channeling that same kind of emotion. It’s jarringly beautiful and vulnerable at the same time.

That was written specifically for the film. About a third of the way through the compositional process for scoring the film, it started as kind of a private challenge to see if I could write a song with lyrics that would fit this in the right kind of way, that is not overly direct, or ridiculously on point—that could tie in in a way that feels authentic, that could live on its own as a piece of music but fits well in the context of this film. I’ve written some music for films in the past, pop songs that fit in the general theme of what the music is about, back in the '90s when there were compilation soundtrack records. But this felt a lot more naked. Atticus and I spent a few weeks on it. We hadn’t collaborated on vocal music since the last Nine Inch Nails record. It was uncomfortable. I was singing in a register I had never sung in before. There was nowhere really to hide.

I didn’t mention to Fisher that I was doing it because I figured if it ends up sucking no one needs to know we even tried. But we ended up feeling pretty good about it and told him, hey, we’ve written a song and at your discretion, if you think it’ll fit somewhere, we’d be proud to have it involved, and it worked out the way it did.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post

cynical or stupid. time to close this topic? pissed....
    Last edited by witte; 11-03-2016 at 12:57 PM.