Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm fine w/ the 2009 remaster but the way the album sounds in its new mix is incredible. I would totally like to get that although I would prefer it if they release album on the day it actually came out which was June 1 to celebrate 50 years of that album. It should also be noted that is the day David Bowie released his first album.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    All new music releases worldwide now come out on Fridays. Within that dictum, this release date follows The Price Is Right rules (nearest without going over) to coincide with the actual 50th anniversary.

Personally, I just want to get the remix (especially in 5.1), but I don't care to own the posters, book, or extra sessions/outtakes. I wish they were doing a stand-alone Blu-ray Disc release for folks like me... maybe I'll buy a deluxe box, break the BD out and sell the rest to someone without a Blu-ray player.
    Last edited by botley; 04-05-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll probably pick this up, not the hyper deluxe set though.

Having said that, I've read that the Beatles partnership has been concerned about younger generations not getting into the band which is why they've been aggressive about digital releases. But I'm not sure how milking the releases for all they can will get anyone but their core fans to buy them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    All new music releases worldwide now come out on Fridays. Within that dictum, this release date follows The Price Is Right rules (nearest without going over) to coincide with the actual 50th anniversary.

Personally, I just want to get the remix (especially in 5.1), but I don't care to own the posters, book, or extra sessions/outtakes. I wish they were doing a stand-alone Blu-ray Disc release for folks like me... maybe I'll buy a deluxe box, break the BD out and sell the rest to someone without a Blu-ray player.
    There is this. https://www.amazon.com/Sgt-Peppers-L...les+sgt+pepper

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yeah, I don't care about the outtakes... they're basically Sgt. Pepper without the overdubs, and where's the fun in that??

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Will this include their solo work?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Will this include their solo work?
    If it's anything like the other band-centric stations on Sirius XM, it will include EVERYTHING including covers and the Beatles' influences and favorites and live band and solo performances.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Sgt. Pepper remaster sounds unbelievably good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Listened to the new release both digitally and on vinyl.

On digital, it's unbelievable. It sounds sourced from digital and modern, it's hard to find any trace or semblance to it ever being recorded on tape. As for the mixing, drums and vocals are up across the board while, as expected, it's not nearly as wide as the 2009 release. Bass also seems to be increased. Some of the background details are now harder to pick out, while there are some new layers that I've never heard so clearly.

Vinyl overall sounds similar, but surprisingly with more width. Also sounds more natural to me, but more than likely that's just because I've been listening to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl for most of my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Supposedly, The White Album is next. I'm jaded and think of these as continued cash grabs but I have to admit Sgt. Pepper sounds really good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm loving the new mix. Within you, Without You is incredible in 5.1!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    i want s/t or revolver in 5.1

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by |mando| View Post
    Listened to the new release both digitally and on vinyl.

On digital, it's unbelievable. It sounds sourced from digital and modern, it's hard to find any trace or semblance to it ever being recorded on tape. As for the mixing, drums and vocals are up across the board while, as expected, it's not nearly as wide as the 2009 release. Bass also seems to be increased. Some of the background details are now harder to pick out, while there are some new layers that I've never heard so clearly.

Vinyl overall sounds similar, but surprisingly with more width. Also sounds more natural to me, but more than likely that's just because I've been listening to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl for most of my life.

Do you prefer the stereo or mono?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    Supposedly, The White Album is next. I'm jaded and think of these as continued cash grabs but I have to admit Sgt. Pepper sounds really good.
    Giles Martin confirmed the White Album as being next.

A reissue campaign of this magnitude is worth it for the surround mixes alone. I do wish however that you didn't have to buy the super duper box set to get it. If the labels played it right, Blu-ray technology could have brought back the physical item of music being major again. But it seems to remain a niche thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Giles Martin confirmed the White Album as being next.

A reissue campaign of this magnitude is worth it for the surround mixes alone. I do wish however that you didn't have to buy the super duper box set to get it. If the labels played it right, Blu-ray technology could have brought back the physical item of music being major again. But it seems to remain a niche thing.
    No music stores left to carry it (in North America, anyway).

Where did Giles say they were expanding the "white" album? I only heard him say it was "the next project" after Pepper, ie. chronologically the next Beatles album.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, I don't care about the outtakes... they're basically Sgt. Pepper without the overdubs, and where's the fun in that??
    because occasionally you get gems like Good Morning Good Morning (Take 8), which I think is miles better than the album version. Those drums, man.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I know! Ringo rocks on that one... and it's on Anthology 2, along with plenty of other outtakes... which I've had for twenty years...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yoko Ono is following Trent Reznor on Twitter.

(She’s also following University of Michigan football... )

I put this here because I couldn’t figure out where else to put it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yoko Ono is following Trent Reznor on Twitter.

(She’s also following University of Michigan football... )

I put this here because I couldn’t figure out where else to put it.
    Maybe they're gonna collaborate on something!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Maybe they're gonna collaborate on something!!
    Teeth in the necks of everyone you know
    You can keep on sucking 'til the blood won't flow
    When it starts to hurt it only helps it grow
    Taking all you need
    But not this time
    Yoko Ono you don't

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New 14 track Paul McCartney album 'Egypt Station' drops on Sept. 7th.

The album takes its name from one of McCartney’s paintings. Elaborating further, he says in a statement: “I liked the words ‘Egypt Station.’ It reminded me of the ‘album’ albums we used to make.., Egypt Station starts off at the station on the first song and then each song is like a different station. So it gave us some idea to base all the songs around that. I think of it as a dream location that the music emanates from.”

Between the opening and closing instrumentals ‘Station I’ and ‘Station II’, each song finds Paul capturing a place or moment before transporting the listener seamlessly to the next destination. Stops along the way include an acoustic meditation on present day contentedness (‘Happy With You’), a timeless anthem that would fit on virtually any album of any McCartney era (‘People Want Peace’), and an epic multi-movement closer clocking in at seven minutes with a song suite structure harkening back to the days of Paul’s previous combos (‘Despite Repeated Warnings’). The result is a kaleidoscopic journey through myriad musical locales and eras, yet firmly rooted in the here and now–with Paul’s singular unmistakable melodic sensibility serving as guide.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    https://www.complex.com/music/2018/0...-west-sessions
    That seems such an impersonal way to create a song. I suppose I don't know how songs are typically made with more than one contributor. It sort of seems sad yet Paul McCartney (classy as always) talks about it favorably.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This is incredible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    This is incredible.
    Yes, yes it is. Such happy feels from it. Strange feels as I am still not unwound from Vegas.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Paul said somewhere that the deluxe version of The White Album is almost set, he just needs to give the okay on essays and such.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Not bad, not blown away. Glad he's still around and making music.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Did a secret show in Grand Central Terminal here in NYC. Cool right?

But it was for only 300 people, invite only. Really weak.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Did a secret show in Grand Central Terminal here in NYC. Cool right?

But it was for only 300 people
    ...plus the other 7,000,000,000 people with Youtube who could watch the professionally filmed / mixed event live.

Yeah, totally weak.

And take it from me: it definitely would not have been one of the best sounding live events you experienced if you were there in person. Club-style PA in a cavernous marble room with someone other than their normal FOH engineer handling the mix? Honestly, you were better off watching it at home.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this new song is the most confusing fucking thing I've ever heard in my life... how is this real?