Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post

Here's Code Orange's cover of the theme.
    That. Was fucking hilarious. And now I REALLY want a 2021 update from TR/AR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A friend once called the genre of Code Orange Kids “unnecessary electronics” and it’s staying true

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Haven't watched that in a while...three things.

Still a FANTASTICALLY edited project, Jerome popping in and out of frame during SICNH has bothered be for ALMOST TWENTY YEARS, and Malm felt greasy even then and shouldn't have been in this; he sounds like a hair care system salesman.
    That is the perfect description of John Malm. I met Malm at a signing Trent did with Oliver Stone in 1996 for the Natural Born Killers Director's cut. I had Trent sign my Further Down the Spiral Movie Tin, and John Malm pulled me aside so he could see who made it and distributed it. He gave me major ick vibes then...and being a 16 year old music nerd, I asked him about TVT records and he got real uncomfortable before awkwardly pawning me off to Steve Berman from Interscope, who gave me his card but never took my calls when I was trying to apply for an internship at Interscope. Ah, the 90's. Does this count as a flashback Friday spotting?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The video for this is terrible in the best way possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    The video for this is terrible in the best way possible.
    Too bad the music seems unironically terrible.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Thanks, I hate it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Your Average Metal Cover Of A Already Cool Song

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    From a recent interview with The Bug:
    "I think Trent Reznor is an incredibly talented guy. Ironically, he’s been very supportive of The Bug. He invited me to support NIN, which I did, as part of an American tour many years ago. And also late this year he asked me to contribute (I think I’m allowed to talk about this) production and music to an outro for a track for some massive pop star called Halsey. He’s produced the album for her. For a maverick like Reznor to kick down the doors of Hollywood is amazing."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    From a recent interview with The Bug:
    Oh wow wish Trent collabed for an entire album with The Bug instead lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hurt was recently covered on UK 'Love Island'. It was a lifeless 'piano' airey vocals cover - and I can't find much more info on it (who). Will look.

EDIT

I will spare you the god awful Love Island clip - but here's the cover - personally - i'm not a fan, the singer has really weird prononciations:
    Last edited by laz001; 08-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Oh wow wish Trent collabed for an entire album with The Bug instead lol.
    I remember they worked together previously on either Hesitation Marks or HTDA album i forget which but Trent didnt like the result so the material was shelved. I/someone else even asked them about it on twitter one time. Bummer that!

EDIT : Oh yeah! It was HTDA, Q's vox didnt sound right on it.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 08-22-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amplific View Post
    A friend once called the genre of Code Orange Kids “unnecessary electronics” and it’s staying true

It’s not “unnecessary”, you just don’t like it. People could say the same thing about literally any industrial band, including our beloved NIN.
    In my opinion, the electronics are a part of what separates them from the hordes of generic heavy bands.

Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Your Average Metal Cover Of A Already Cool Song™

Yup cos there are just SO many covers of the Quake theme out there.. compared to the endless number of HLAH, Closer & Hurt covers, this is a fun surprise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Is this the first time we are hearing that "Metal" was the first complete song from the Fragile sessions?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Is this the first time we are hearing that "Metal" was the first complete song from the Fragile sessions?
    Kinda, sorta.

I vaguely remember an interview with TR where he said that working on "Metal" and how that song came out is what informed the overall sound of The Fragile (ie. broken, organic sounding)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First i'm hearing that too. Interesting. I rememeber TR mentioning La Mer being the first Fragile song completed. I assumed it was the blueprint.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    https://ew.com/music/trent-reznor-da...3353000173aebc

Good interview of two dudes who seem to genuinely appreciate each other's talents.

One thing that sticks out to me: if we take TR's comments at face value I'm not sure we're in for much new NIN material in the near future. Or maybe he's being coy and TR & AR are sitting on a boatload of new shit. Doesn't sound promising though.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    One thing that sticks out to me: if we take TR's comments at face value I'm not sure we're in for much new NIN material in the near future. Or maybe he's being coy and TR & AR are sitting on a boatload of new shit. Doesn't sound promising though.
    I think it's possible we might not get any new NIN music this year, but since they've been busy working on other projects, that wouldn't be surprising. I could see them waiting until next year when (fingers crossed) live shows return to release anything. I can't see them outright abandoning NIN, because it gives them a certain outlet that other projects don't. Hearing Trent talk about how he felt pressured to create some sort of magnum opus during the pandemic makes me glad that he didn't do that, although the Ghosts releases last year were a nice surprise. I'm sure they'll come back to us when the time is right.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think it's possible we might not get any new NIN music this year, but since they've been busy working on other projects, that wouldn't be surprising. I could see them waiting until next year when (fingers crossed) live shows return to release anything. I can't see them outright abandoning NIN, because it gives them a certain outlet that other projects don't. Hearing Trent talk about how he felt pressured to create some sort of magnum opus during the pandemic makes me glad that he didn't do that, although the Ghosts releases last year were a nice surprise. I'm sure they'll come back to us when the time is right.
    As the pandemic started, i assumed many artists would be working on and completing their "magnum opus". I still find it disappointing that this didn't happen, and everyone was seemingly uninspired during the craziest year on planet earth in their lifetime. The planet is literally burning, the bad man was still in office calling the shots, and the world was divided on about every issue. Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration. I get for TR, he already wrote that album, but i am still sort of not understanding this whole uninspired thing. Like, you all have nothing to say right now?
    The new Ghosts left me wanting more, probably to hear his voice and thoughts over the music. The first Ghosts felt different. It was perfect the way it was.

I dont think we will see a new NIN album this year. Maybe a collaboration song. This worked with Health to a degree and that was a good song, but i expected something more.... exciting from those two to be honest. I would love some new HTDA. Even an EP. Well overdue.
    Sorry im done ranting.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration. I get for TR, he already wrote that album, but i am still sort of not understanding this whole uninspired thing. Like, you all have nothing to say right now?
    The new Ghosts left me wanting more, probably to hear his voice and thoughts over the music. The first Ghosts felt different. It was perfect the way it was.
    My thought was directly referring to the comments during Soul awards season in regarding immediately getting back to NIN material. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously we don't know the timeline of the Halsey work and for all we know they did go in the studio at the very end of April to work on NIN but they felt it wasn't good. Or it's all obfuscation and they've got an album's worth of stuff in the can ready to drop whenever they want. I'm saying, after reading that interview, I'm less optimistic about new NIN in the near term.

I'm not going to begrudge someone for feeling uninspired during these times, especially when you have kids. Thoughts about the world we're leaving my son's generation can sap my energy sometimes. It's heavy shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My thought was directly referring to the comments during Soul awards season in regarding immediately getting back to NIN material. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously we don't know the timeline of the Halsey work and for all we know they did go in the studio at the very end of April to work on NIN but they felt it wasn't good. Or it's all obfuscation and they've got an album's worth of stuff in the can ready to drop whenever they want. I'm saying, after reading that interview, I'm less optimistic about new NIN in the near term.

I'm not going to begrudge someone for feeling uninspired during these times, especially when you have kids. Thoughts about the world we're leaving my son's generation can sap my energy sometimes. It's heavy shit.
    Oh i am with you on the kids part. My kids will have to deal with these consequences. Wasnt just speaking of TR, but other acts as well as he's not the only one to say that. If these are uninspiring times for artists, i dont know when is. I just think its more of, i dont have anything to say, which is fine. I guess i just want an angry nin album and the climate felt about right for that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Kinda, sorta.

I vaguely remember an interview with TR where he said that working on "Metal" and how that song came out is what informed the overall sound of The Fragile (ie. broken, organic sounding)
    I was going to chime in yesterday that I recall having a Metal mp3 wellll before the version on Things Falling Apart but I couldn't remember if it pre-dated The Fragile as well. And then I also couldn't remember if it was fan-made or legitimately leaked, so I opted to just not say anything. But all those things taken into consideration I'm not aware that it was ever widespread info that Metal was the first thing to come out of that era, but I can easily believe it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was going to chime in yesterday that I recall having a Metal mp3 wellll before the version on Things Falling Apart but I couldn't remember if it pre-dated The Fragile as well. And then I also couldn't remember if it was fan-made or legitimately leaked, so I opted to just not say anything. But all those things taken into consideration I'm not aware that it was ever widespread info that Metal was the first thing to come out of that era, but I can easily believe it.
    I always thought the "i'd love to pull the wires from the wall" line sounded like trent from an earlier era.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    https://ew.com/music/trent-reznor-da...3353000173aebc

Good interview of two dudes who seem to genuinely appreciate each other's talents.

REZNOR: And I've played "Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me" in a cover band.

Wow, OMG

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    As the pandemic started, i assumed many artists would be working on and completing their "magnum opus". I still find it disappointing that this didn't happen, and everyone was seemingly uninspired during the craziest year on planet earth in their lifetime. The planet is literally burning, the bad man was still in office calling the shots, and the world was divided on about every issue. Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration.
    Inspiration is different from source material, though. You can have all the material in the world to draw from (in fact we all do, in our pockets, at all times) and be uninspired, because you're stressed out and incapable of creating something due to crippling paroxysms of anxiety. Speaking from personal experience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If I remember correctly Trent talked about losing his inspiration during the pandemic about a year ago. That may have changed in the meantime or not... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Here's the link to the album that he says Trent loved: https://thebugmusic.bandcamp.com/alb...is-fig-in-blue

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    If I remember correctly Trent talked about losing his inspiration during the pandemic about a year ago. That may have changed in the meantime or not... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Yep, can't remember but I thiiiink it was the HoF interview with the whole crew, may have been an interview before that, but yes he did talk about specifically not being inspired just depressed (which yes in NIN world can be inspiration, but also just crippling without the cool artsy side-effects).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I could imagine Trent taking time to work on something before he had a family, but now that he does, I'm sure his perspective has changed. He can't just hide from the world in his studio and make something. He has to be there for his family first.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I’ve had a hunt around online for the source, and unfortunately can’t find it, but I distinctly recall an interview with Trent in which he mentions that, after setting up a new studio or making big changes to a rig, he tests it with a recording of a cover song. At least, this was the case back when I read this post-The Fragile. And this would explain why ‘Metal’ was an early result of the Fragile sessions.

Does anyone else recall this?