Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Opeth

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I won't lie, I was eagerly awaiting to hear some surprise growls, but I'm not bothered that they weren't there. This was a very cool track. I think the low-tuned guitars definitely add something new to what's becoming the new signature Opeth sound. It keeps things interesting, especially considering the guitars have never typically gone too far from standard tuning. I look forward to hearing more.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Preorders are up. That gatefold looks gorgeous. Might as well bite on the box set to get the 5.1 disc since I was going to order the vinyl anyway.

http://store.moderbolagetrecords.com

Sent from my LG G4.
    Last edited by pulse; 08-01-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed url

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=pulse;311437]Preorders are up. That gatefold looks gorgeous. Might as well bite on the box set to get the 5.1 disc since I was going to order the vinyl anyway.

http://store.moderbolagetrecords.com

Looks like we have 2 bonus tracks on the deluxe...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This album already feels like it has some of the issues as the last one: Opeth just does not want to metal anymore, and we. someone makes them do it, it sounds boring and effortless, and when they're allowed to that proggy funky thing they're trying to do, it's fucking awesome.

I'm down either way, but, as it turns out, I just am not really feeling every part of this song with distortion on it. except for maybe that mathy breakdown part from the behind the scenes video. That part is cool, where both elements get to truly overlap

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This album already feels like it has some of the issues as the last one: Opeth just does not want to metal anymore, and we. someone makes them do it, it sounds boring and effortless, and when they're allowed to that proggy funky thing they're trying to do, it's fucking awesome.
    "Dat riff" is as metal as they've ever been. It's just more Ghost BC-ish because of the production. I will take '70s throwback production when the riffs are there and Axe is going off, which he also does on this song.

The songwriting is vastly separate from Heritage and PC once the intro ends. That's where my optimism is sitting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just gotta add - loving Sorceress. This is the first time that I'll be in a position to look forward to a new Opeth album - only got into them about 18 months ago. Liking the direction this is going in. Liking the mellower side of them, but want a bit of crunch back in there too. Happy with no growling scenario myself, never been into that, though Blackwater Park is an epic album despite it!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Happy with no growling scenario myself, never been into that, though My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, and Blackwater Park are epic albums despite it!
    fixed that one for you, sir.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I like all of Opeth's material, but I am very partial to those first 3 albums. Forest of October, Advent, Demon of the Fall... some of the best metal tracks ever.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That sounds like it could have been on Damnation. Good shit. I should have the vinyl/cd/dvd in hand in 28 more days. Can't wait.

Sent from my LG G4.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Sounds like less depression-inducing Storm Corrosion. Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed this is Opeth from the first two minutes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed this is Opeth from the first two minutes
    Aside from Mikael's distinctive voice, obviously. Has a bit of a Jethro Tull feel in the beginning. This and the title track are very different from any of their other stuff (and each other, of course). This is definitely going to be an interesting album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm sure some of you on here have it. According to posts on other sites, the source is from a web stream rip. Someone must have grabbed and re-encoded it. Apparantly the quality isn't all that great but it's getting a lot of positive feedback anyway. That's reassuring.

Ten days isn't long. I want to take it out of the wrapper and listen to the vinyl first and then the 5.1 mix.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well, im weak so i caved in and this leak isn't so bad. very pleased so far.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I listened to the leak when it was put on YouTube. Should be taken down shortly if it wasn't already done so. Still no growls (which should come as no surprise now) but definitely an interesting one. Even though it's definitely heavier than the last two albums, there will still be accusations of it not being heavy because doesn't sound like Blackwater Park Part 2.
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 09-23-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Still absorbing. This is definitely a grower. The vinyl sounds amazing.

I will say that I feel like I'm listening to a new album in 1973. Like a mix between Ten Years After, Blind Faith and some sinister and obscure 70s heavy progressive band. This isn't going to please many older Opeth fans, but the album will probably blow the socks off a lot of people regardless. It somehow sounds very old while sounding very new.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My favorite song on Sorceress is A Fleeting Glance. The four song stretch of Seventh Sojourn, Strange Brew, A Fleeting Glance and Era is right up there among the best stuff the band has done. I think the front side of the album is overall weaker compared to the second. I also really enjoy the bonus track, The Ward.

The band still has it. I consider it a positive they're still relavant after all these years. There are too many bands I love that just simply aren't anymore. Opeth fans, myself admittedly, are just spoiled (and rightfully so).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "By The Pain I See In Others" from Deliverance made its live debut last night.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The extra tracks are nothing to sneeze at. The live tracks are taken from the show they did with the orchestra last year. "Cusp of Eternity" in particular is a treat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The extra tracks are nothing to sneeze at. The live tracks are taken from the show they did with the orchestra last year. "Cusp of Eternity" in particular is a treat.
    They should release the whole thing, I'd like to hear that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Holy shit why did I take so long to listen to this new album? I've never done a drug in my life but if I did I would imagine this would be a required listen. So good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Official video for Era. I am impressed...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well whatever the next one comes out like, I hope they don't ever go back to how it was on Heritage or Pale Communion. There is a severe lack of good songs on both of those albums.

That said, I'm really glad he dropped the death metal vocals. I think that was imperative for them to progress, so the first 2 albums without that can be taken as them just finding their feet with the new style. Sorceress is one of my favourite albums in any style from last year.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Good news, they are releasing a new live album, from the show they played with an orchestra a few years ago. Bad news, it's only available with copies of the new Prog magazine. Maybe not too bad, they are an awesome publication and I would imagine that this is the band throwing them a bone as the company is still bouncing back from briefly being defunct.