Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool: Fear Inoculum

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Back again!

I listened to this a lot while flying over the last week, and it's definitely growing on me. However, I've had to make a custom running order to make it more listenable - by which I mean I just had to remove CCT. That song literally makes me angry. It's hard to describe, but if anyone here is one of those people who get bothered by certain noises / sounds, you might have some sort of understanding. There's just something about the particular sounds they picked and the way it just keeps looping and panning that makes me anxious, and the relentlessness of it makes me agitated, which leads to anger. So much like I did with Everything when Hesitation Marks came out, this one's just off the list, never to be heard from again.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Back again!

I listened to this a lot while flying over the last week, and it's definitely growing on me. However, I've had to make a custom running order to make it more listenable - by which I mean I just had to remove CCT. That song literally makes me angry. It's hard to describe, but if anyone here is one of those people who get bothered by certain noises / sounds, you might have some sort of understanding. There's just something about the particular sounds they picked and the way it just keeps looping and panning that makes me anxious, and the relentlessness of it makes me agitated, which leads to anger. So much like I did with Everything when Hesitation Marks came out, this one's just off the list, never to be heard from again.
    It isn't grating to me, in the way you describe, but, it...it just doesn't fit. I've already taken to skipping it.

Does your running order include the interludes/segues? I must admit that I've not heard them yet.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It isn't grating to me, in the way you describe, but, it...it just doesn't fit. I've already taken to skipping it.

Does your running order include the interludes/segues? I must admit that I've not heard them yet.
    Heh...no, the running order is literally just the album minus CCT

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The loop in CCT reminds me of Devo's U Got Me Bugged

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow that is similar.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    From the latest SRCVinyl update:

Tool - Fear Inoculum Update

We have been told another Tool CD round arriving sometime next week (Oct 7 - 10)!! As soon as they arrive we will be sure to get orders shipped out, in order they were placed ASAP!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

wat

"I recorded both of Adam’s personal amps to their own track and combined the Bogner and Rivera to a single track, plus we ran a mic’d Leslie cab in stereo the whole time, which gave us a total of five tracks wide of just guitar.
    O_O

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    wat

O_O
    i mean that's all well and good but i feel like the guitar mixing on the album sounds pretty bland ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just bought a limited copy for 40 bucks from Barnes and Noble. Is there a cue to the super rare shit before I take the cellophane off?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just bought a limited copy for 40 bucks from Barnes and Noble. Is there a cue to the super rare shit before I take the cellophane off?
    I must have unbookmarked the reddit thread. This eBay listing has all three variations, though, with large pics of back and spine variations. As far as "rarity", there's no definitive answer about production, but "Danny's Drum Kit" is the sought after one (the one with all stars; I don't fucking know sacred geometry). The other two tend to average for $90-110 on the second-hand market, while the Drum Kit one is $150.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't know why everyone calls it the Danny variant or thinks it has anything to do with his drum kit. They're just three different geometric patterns, they do not correlate to any band member, especially since there are three variants and four band members.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The patterns don't correspond to portraits in booklet

Last edited by BenAkenobi; 10-08-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, if anything, I'd say the rare variant with the triangular pattern should be considered the Adam one. I just refer to them as Variant 1, 2, & 3.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    retail or online?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    retail or online?
    Retail. It was sitting there in the front row too... guess not many people check Barnes n Noble for music

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Retail. It was sitting there in the front row too... guess not many people check Barnes n Noble for music
    Or books. Our one surviving B&N is a Starbucks with a book store in the back.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Funny, Tempest is the one track on the album which hasn't quite clicked with me yet. Sure it will at some point though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    FYI for anyone still looking for the CD...
    **sold out**
    Last edited by cdm; 10-18-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    FYI for anyone still looking for the CD...
    $50 is a great price

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think we can all agree that their songs sometimes just go on and on and on.

Now weather or not you think that's a good thing, well that's personal preference.

(I hope they release an album with just one 80 minute track someday)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting for this record to make me feel ANYTHING at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm also still waiting for this record to make you feel anything at all.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tempest saves this thing. Can't imagine ever turning it on again without that song to show they can still write with some cajones.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I think we can all agree that their songs sometimes just go on and on and on.

Now weather or not you think that's a good thing, well that's personal preference.

Fantomas did it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del%C3%ACrium_C%C3%B2rdia

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Top album on Discogs in August (link).

Interesting to see that other pieces from the back catalogue also entered the top 50.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    IDK if it's been brought up, but around 3:45 of Invincible really sounds like a part straight from a RUSH song. Like in a good way.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I'm still waiting for this record to make me feel ANYTHING at all.
    I did a 180 on the album and went from being pretty meh about it to liking every thing on it besides Culling Voices. It's not my favorite album by them nor will it ever be. I don't feel this album has a lot of themes or stories to delve into like they touted. I could listen to Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days endlessly and give a thought on the lyrics and sounds. I can't with Fear Inoculum.

Then again I could be one of those fans that "doesn't get it" or whatever. None of these songs feel like a cohesive unite to me. They feel like different songs from different sessions of recording smashed into one LP.

I mean I like Tool but is this sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I'm also still waiting for this record to make you feel anything at all.
    See my reply to tony.parente

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Tempest saves this thing. Can't imagine ever turning it on again without that song to show they can still write with some cajones.
    7empest is good but I'd say Descending is the best song on the album by a mile after numerous listens.

Different strokes though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    IDK if it's been brought up, but around 3:45 of Invincible really sounds like a part straight from a RUSH song. Like in a good way.
    Ha...that whole damn song is basically a 90's Rush song. The lyrics are straight up Neil, the guitar work is signature Alex (3:45 mark) and the bass is right in line with what Geddy was slappin during the 90's early 2000s with Rush. Even the vocal delivery on some of the notes sound like Geddy's lower register singing (2:35 mark and when MJK sings "wearing thin" at 4:25).

Great song.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 10-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.