Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool: Fear Inoculum

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Holy god, yeah. It's fucking stunning. Jesus.

I wasn't too fond of Invincible, just from the live version, but I LOVE the studio version. I teared up a bit.

The rhythmic stuff on this album is fucking nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Streaming the whole thing on dirty radio.fm. Right now. Not sure how long it’s been on or if they will repeat.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I documented my experience haha...

https://imgur.com/gallery/h3bA1pm

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is probably as much as I can like a given Tool thing. Although I will say I still find the lyrics unbearably cheesey and off putting. They've always been like that though. I know some people are into that sort of thing. Other than that though I appreciate the sophistication in the music, and think they did a good job meeting expectations

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This is probably as much as I can like a given Tool thing. Although I will say I still find the lyrics unbearably cheesey and off putting. They've always been like that though. I know some people are into that sort of thing. Other than that though I appreciate the sophistication in the music, and think they did a good job meeting expectations
    I always listened to maynard's voice as if it was a instrument and not someone actually speaking english, if that makes any sense. It helped get past what was being said.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I always listened to maynard's voice as if it was a instrument and not someone actually speaking english, if that makes any sense. It helped get past what was being said.
    Ah sure, I mean I do that with a lot of bands. Maynard's voice is great, but his lyrics sound like they were Written by Marianne Williamson alot of the time and I can only cringe at that.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO motherfucking 7EMPEST THO!!!!!!!!!

Jesus fucking christ, it's like ol' Cousin Eddie says: It's just the gift that keeps on giving all year 'round.
    Had to come back here and quote you because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST is right about this song....

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Can't decide if Descending or 7empest is the best song Tool has written yet, but it's definitely one of the two.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    *Stupid gripe, admittedly. Why “7empest”, and not just Tempest? Reminds me of all those songs from the 2000’s that had to put an “8” in there, like “I H8 U” or something sophomoric.

Really good song though. Sounds like a mix of Undertow era and Ticks & Leeches.

*EDIT: NM, I think there was some talk of how the number seven kept popping up so guessing it’s tied into that.
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-25-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Stupid gripe, admittedly. Why “7empest”, and not just Tempest? Reminds me of all those songs from the 2000’s that had to put an “8” in there, like “I H8 U” or something sophomoric.

1337-speak has been going on since the 80's I think. World of Warcraft just made it popular in the 0ughts.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's cheesey af either way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree that it's weird. It may have been titled that way to fuck with the fans. Not that Tool have ever trolled or fucked with their fans before, haha

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's because of the importance of the number seven on this album and was probably Adam Jones' idea because he seemed to get excited about it in that interview where he talks about wanting to call the album "Volume Seven" and pointed out that it was their seventh major release.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My comment prior to your's was more speculative than serious - I've read the articles and know the importance of the number 7 to this album. There's always been a symbolic aspect to a Tool album. I appreciate the info however and hope someone stumbling upon this thread will look it up to get better acquainted.

The last thing I think of is numbers while listening to the album though, not that I've heard it. Totally just waiting for my pre-order and haven't heard anything but FI yet.

Regardless, I have a bat-shit theory that 7empest lyrically is either about politics or Tool fans in general. The thought I had is that a tempest (being a storm that eventually blows over) could apply to both over-zealous fans and elections. Probably a bunch of other things too, but I don't want to write a novel. At least not tonight.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I wanted Blaster as a kid. Sonic_d's pic reminded me of that. I was all good-guys TF's; older brother was all Deceps. He never had Soundwave, so I couldn't have Blaster. I'll go back to lurking now.
    Last edited by Bajoobatron; 08-26-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Can't decide if Descending or 7empest is the best song Tool has written yet, but it's definitely one of the two.
    Best song written, as in... ever? Then I'm afraid that award goes to Lateralus, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

Great description. Totally sounds like something straight out of the Undertow era. (7empest)
    Last edited by ManBurning; 08-26-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    After one listen, this is exactly what I feared. Tempest is great, but everything else is some variety of the same late stage, mid tempo Tool formula with the big finale where things finally get interesting a la Schism, Right in Two, Lateralus, etc etc etc. These tracks are too samesy for me. Maynard might as well be invisible. Disappears for long periods of time over and over, his lyrics are cheesy as stated, and his vocals...they barely ever have any anger, aggression or bite, and are way in the back, like his live "performance". CC Trip sounds cool the first time, but will be skipped by most people after a few listens.

As said already, Danny is working on some other plateau that none of us can reach. That Meshuggah breakdown in Tempest had me smiling. Decent material here overall, but not a 13 year wait decent.

10,000 Days > this bc at least there was more variety and uniqueness to the material though. But I'm gonna listen more and maybe i'll warm up to it.

Can any of you normal people imagine being self-righteous over listening to an album leak in 2019? lol. Get over yourself.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I’ve been saving a bottle of the (appropriately named) Paciencia for the past few years for this occasion. My girlfriend and I killed the lights, lit some candles, laid out a spread, and just listened.

I cried or teared up multiple times. It’s indescribable to experience something that feels simultaneously brand new and nostalgic. It was music I’d never heard before but by a band I’ve been listening to for twenty years. Somehow, it felt fresh and familiar at the same time, and that is such a fucking beautiful thing.

I won’t really know how I feel about the album until a week or so from now. The album lacks certain things I wanted and completely delivers on other things I wanted, but no matter what, it’s a new Tool album, and it sounds like a Tool album, and that alone makes me insanely happy.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    After one listen, this is exactly what I feared. Tempest is great, but everything else is some variety of the same late stage, mid tempo Tool formula with the big finale where things finally get interesting a la Schism, Right in Two, Lateralus, etc etc etc. These tracks are too samesy for me. Maynard might as well be invisible. Disappears for long periods of time over and over, his lyrics are cheesy as stated, and his vocals...they barely ever have any anger, aggression or bite, and are way in the back, like his live "performance". CC Trip sounds cool the first time, but will be skipped by most people after a few listens.

As said already, Danny is working on some other plateau that none of us can reach. That Meshuggah breakdown in Tempest had me smiling. Decent material here overall, but not a 13 year wait decent.

10,000 Days > this bc at least there was more variety and uniqueness to the material though. But I'm gonna listen more and maybe i'll warm up to it.

Can any of you normal people imagine being self-righteous over listening to an album leak in 2019? lol. Get over yourself.
    I've already decided where in the discography I am ranking this record, but fear of being trashed by all the fanboys saying "you need to give it a few more months before you can properly place this record in a spot", I will just refrain from posting my list. But polarizing and unpopular opinion alert: It's below 10k days. And for this very reason stated by Bobbie, 10k has more variety.

At first I thought this was gonna rank above 10k, but then I thought about what songs were on there. Rosetta Stoned, Right in two and Jambi are 3 of my favorite tool songs, and all different from one another. I also feel wings I and II had much more of an emotional impact as a song than anything on FI.

Bobbie nails all my thoughts to a T here. One of my biggest worries that people were upset that I said a few pages back, before hearing the record was the lack of Maynard, and he totally takes a backseat here.
    The other 3 are FANTASTIC musicians. Absolutely amazing for being able to write this type of music, not going to deny or argue that. Adam and Danny shine so incredibly bright on this record, but what attracted me to tool in the first place was Maynard's lyrics and vocal delivery.

To me, this record is a 6/10. It's good, but not wait 13 years good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Great. Anyway...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anyone have a shipping confirmation yet? I am expecting them to begin for preorders today as retail/vendor warehouse stock should be arriving fo shipment to customers.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I've already decided where in the discography I am ranking this record, but fear of being trashed by all the fanboys saying "you need to give it a few more months before you can properly place this record in a spot", I will just refrain from posting my list. But polarizing and unpopular opinion alert: It's below 10k days. And for this very reason stated by Bobbie, 10k has more variety.

At first I thought this was gonna rank above 10k, but then I thought about what songs were on there. Rosetta Stoned, Right in two and Jambi are 3 of my favorite tool songs, and all different from one another. I also feel wings I and II had much more of an emotional impact as a song than anything on FI.

Bobbie nails all my thoughts to a T here. One of my biggest worries that people were upset that I said a few pages back, before hearing the record was the lack of Maynard, and he totally takes a backseat here.
    The other 3 are FANTASTIC musicians. Absolutely amazing for being able to write this type of music, not going to deny or argue that. Adam and Danny shine so incredibly bright on this record, but what attracted me to tool in the first place was Maynard's lyrics and vocal delivery.

To me, this record is a 6/10. It's good, but not wait 13 years good.
    You both summed up my thoughts much better than myself.

The glaring absence of Maynard on most of these songs hurt it to me. That’s why I’m not a huge fan of songs that clock double digits usually. That’s par for the course for Tool but for a return album to have mostly nothing but 10-15 minute songs and in some spots rarely any vocals to me is just not my thing. I’d also agree 10,000 Days hits harder and it’s hard to top that albums best tracks.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

The glaring absence of Maynard on most of these songs hurt it to me. That’s why I’m not a huge fan of songs that clock double digits usually. That’s par for the course for Tool but for a return album to have mostly nothing but 10-15 minute songs and in some spots rarely any vocals to me is just not my thing. I’d also agree 10,000 Days hits harder and it’s hard to top that albums best tracks.
    I kinda take Maynard’s relative quiet as a reflection of the type of music. There are moments on 10,000 Days where it feels like he’s singing and the music isn’t really there with him. Like he’s forcing his vocals into a place. Vicarious is the biggest offender for me.

I’d rather he say what he feels like he needs to say rather than being verbose just to be verbose. A lot of older lyricists tend to just kinda... Go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

I take it you don't like bands like Isis or YOB?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    This album is everything I wanted. I haven't listened to it enough to form my overall feelings about it, but I think it's safe to say that if nothing else, it's some of Danny's best work. Like holy shit, there are points where I can't figure out how it's just one guy drumming. I'll also restate that I would pay good money for a Danny Carey solo percussion album a la Chu Ishikawa.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    By the way, just throwing out that I love the complete embrace of the synths. Enough hiding in the background. Bring it out. It’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I will say Invincible sounds very flat in comparison to the live version (IMO). It's so minimal it doesn't work as well as I thought it would.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I will say Invincible sounds very flat in comparison to the live version (IMO). It's so minimal it doesn't work as well as I thought it would.
    I like Invincible more live too, that bass line just sounded so thicc and massive when played live.

(even more so if you got the pleasure of experiencing the song in person)

Now Descending on the other hand, awesome on the record! Just sounds so overwhelming, it almost makes it hard to breathe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    3 listens so far.

- Never has 6 ten-minute songs has sounded so easy to listen to
    - This is Wish You Were Here / Animals kind of majestic
    - If you were to ask me what I would have wanted the album to sound like before its release, that wouldn't have been this. I would have guessed more "winds" and more 7empest. This is better.
    - It lacks some innovation, yet, it's an outstanding feat to sounds this good, this tight, this perfect. It's still a 4-man band and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
    - Maynard's voice is familiar, especially after Puscifer and APC. Each time he is not there, we miss him. Yet the band plays amazingly and it's never tiresome.
    - The album gets better and better at each listen
    - My wife and my father loves the first track, and they never listened to Tool really before
    - Invincible is my favorite of the bunch
    - I could have used more Maynard for my personal taste
    - Don't care for CCTrip or interludes
    - Nevertheless, this is a rare 10/10 in my book
    - But I'm too emotional at this point

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    - This is Wish You Were Here / Animals kind of majestic
    For me it's "The Wall" - clearly their most ambitious work, but maybe not my favorite everyday listen.

This album made my commute feel very short. 47 miles was only 4 tracks.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Decent material here overall, but not a 13 year wait decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    It's good, but not wait 13 years good.
    (I've already said this once before, so I promise I'll shut up after saying it again here.)

Please stop valuing the album by how long you had to wait to hear it. If the album had come out in 2010, but you had been shipwrecked on a deserted island until 2019, would the album be worse because you had to wait so long to hear it? Twenty years from now, will you be listening to this album through the lens of "it wasn't worth the wait"? Maybe, but I hope not.

All of the points you both made are totally valid reasons to be disappointed, but I think it's just plain wrong to believe that with every year that passes, the artists somehow owe you a better album than they would have had it come out sooner.