Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2013 (Part 1/2)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fair enough. Either way, my humor is lost on ETS haha.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I noticed Mariqueen removed her second childs picture, from mother's day on instagram, good thing that I saved it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I noticed Mariqueen removed her second childs picture, from mother's day on instagram, good thing that I saved it.
    nothing creepy about that

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah sound the pedo alarm, comments like that are the kind of thing that should probably be reported to the cyber crimes patrol.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ROFL
    The way he said it IS creepy as hell BUT I enjoy the very few kid images that come out. I have a kid the same age as their oldest. I think it's incredibly cool seeing a happy family together like that... especially when it's someone you've respected for many years. There was a great shot of all 4 of them walking together very near where I live. The first thought was "how fucking awesome" followed by "oh man, they are about to go see the <really cool thing that is going to light up the kid's faces> .. YES!"

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    QOTSA posted the artists behind the Kalopsia teaser, listing "Trent Reznor- Vocals, Breathing, Kick, Snare," so, Trent also breathes on this song. Good to know, heh.
    It's probably the heavy breathing heard in the creepy intro of the song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Silly spotting:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There's a bit of Trent's interview from Beyond The Lighted Stage in the Rush Rock & Roll Hall of Fame video package.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Did someone mention these amazing very old videos ? twitted by the hotline

TR on MTV christmpas 1989

Pro shot multicam 1990

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Did someone mention these amazing very old videos ? twitted by the hotline

TR on MTV christmpas 1989

Pro shot multicam 1990
    I only thought about tweeting the Christmas video, I didn't actually tweet it. I think?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Clint Mansell talks a little bit about his career and Trent's support over the years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...ker-soundtrack

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails and the Industrial Uprising - hour and half documentary about Nine Inch Nails! How did this get our there without being noticed?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Well, no one really wanted to notice it...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Nine Inch Nails and the Industrial Uprising - hour and half documentary about Nine Inch Nails! How did this get our there without being noticed?

Heh, "Gary Numan is kinda 'Kraftwerk for Dummies'."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Remember the "rivalry" between the forums over there and here? Good times.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Without nin.com, where will the crazies go?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Remember the "rivalry" between the forums over there and here? Good times.
    You mean a group of ETS people jack each other off talking about how great they are and nin.com do nothing? Because thats what I remember.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    So, who is mirroring the forums just incase they decide to purge the data?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Interesting. I gotta say, as someone who took over a forum that completely vanished, in a way I'm glad the old posts are irretrievable. It blows my mind a little bit that there's someone on nin.com with over 43,000 posts, and that they were the very first person to respond, and the response was "Please don't delete my 43,000 posts because they are important."

ETS was born when SLS Forums completely vanished, and ETS was better. Somewhat ironically, ETS completely vanished, and this new ETS came out of those ashes, and I think it's the best it's ever been here. I wouldn't object to a read-only archive of the old site, but life goes on without it. There were forums on nin.com/nothingrecords.com in 1997 that likewise completely vanished. Who here remembers that? Hell, the 2000-era nin.com forums didn't even keep history beyond an arbitrary number of posts. What about The Spiral?

I don't think it's jacking each other off to say that I like it here than I've liked any of the nin.com forums. The current incarnation of nin.com was technically superior to the prior version of ETS, but the tolerance for inane bullshit on nin.com from the administration was always greater than what we have here, and I think it suffered for that. But I would be disappointed if there weren't an official forum. From the very start of building fan websites, I've never seen it as competition, so much as an effort to complement what's out there. Any competitive drive was merely to make things better overall - I'd update my fan page to be better, and someone would make theirs even better than mine, and this cycle happened over and over, ultimately evolving out of personal fan pages and into the Nine Inch Nails Wikipedia article(s), which essentially do a better job of what the fan pages used to do back before there was a Wikipedia.

I kind of miss the glut of fan-run websites. It brought variety and new approaches to things. Oh man, am I ever getting sidetracked here.

I'm glad nin.com is getting an overhaul, and I'm glad they're doing things in a way I probably wouldn't do them. I'll check it out when it opens up, but I'm pretty sure I'll continue doing the ETS thing. We've actually got a pretty big overhaul coming up soon as well, but that won't even begin to happen until I send @DigitalChaos my vBulletin credentials, which I should probably do now before I forget.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Regarding the nin.com overhaul, I'm happy that's happening. It was about time.
    But it's not the forums there I care about, but the entire website and especially remix.nin.com.

Since the start I had an issue with remix.nin.com. Imho, it kinda killed the remix community we had here and on ninremixes.com. People stopped posting remixes here and went there instead. Where the amazing jewels that were created were covered in a deep slime of 0-100 random votes and crap "remixes". remix.nin.com was always a hard website to use as an end user. The playlists were nice but in order to listen to something really good you had to go through a lot of high rated but bad remixes. And we're back to the voting system. I don't care much about what they're doing with nin.com nor remix.nin.com as long as they change the voting system. That's all I want.

Should we split this into a new topic for nin.com redesign discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There were forums on nin.com/nothingrecords.com in 1997 that likewise completely vanished.
    Were those the green room/red room/yellow room days? *shudder"

I'm pretty sure I'll continue doing the ETS thing.
    Please do!!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Were those the green room/red room/yellow room days? *shudder"
    No, this predates those significantly. This was when Jason Patterson was helping run the official web stuff. I'm talking about Say Nothing.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Because it's a cheapo garbage rock doc, just like a million others out there, which uses pretentious talking-heads interviews with people no one cares about, a ripoff sound-alike soundtrack, horribly poor-quality source footage and entertains God-knows-who, that's why. NIN deserves better.

There is more than enough high-quality footage of the band in performance and behind the scenes, to say nothing of the huge quantity of interesting and historical interviews with Trent out there to compile a feature-length documentary that would cover the whole history and actually be watchable. It's just a matter of finding someone with the time and resources to assemble it. I'm talking about a real documentary crew with professional researchers, archivists, and an editing team. Expensive but worth it in the results; there are many AWESOME rock-umentaries out there to prove that. This is not one of them.
    Last edited by botley; 05-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    which uses pretentious talking-heads interviews with people no one cares about
    actually, that clip posted has a great interview with Genesis P-Orridge.

Interesting. I gotta say, as someone who took over a forum that completely vanished, in a way I'm glad the old posts are irretrievable
    I mostly agree except for the other day when a few people here were looking for that old Kleptonin Trent-blowing-out-birthday-candles GIF, which was posted here about 900 times and I used to have it on some hard drive around here or some photobucket account, but I can't find it anywhere. And when I Googled "Kleptonin Trent Renzor" I got some of your wedding photos.

But, yeah, to me that old stuff gets stale because the url links go away and you end up with a bunch of boring irrelevant stuff with bad links and bad images. Back during the web cam days, I thought that stuff would be fun to look at 10 years later but then I looked at it 5 years later and it was already boring.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sure, I guess the P-orridge clip is worth watching. I don't want to disparage the efforts of that documentary's filmmakers too much because they obviously don't have cooperation of the rights holders, or a budget to get it. There's only so many ways to tell a story without actually being able to show what happened.

You raise an interesting point about preservation. The more I think about it, the more I believe a large-scale "real" documentary would be the best way to preserve all those moments from the actual history of the band. Something like the Closure documentary on those Self Destruct tours, but for the whole NIN saga. Jeff Stein's The Kids Are Alright is one of my favourite movies ever; to have something similar, but with Trent Reznor in the Pete Townshend role would be incredible.

Interweave live performance videos with contemporary TR interviews about the approach the band was taking at that time, sprinkle in a few pieces about historic moments with overlaid commentary from the players of the time. Yeah, it would only cost a couple million dollars...
    Last edited by botley; 05-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I liked the documentary.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    We've actually got a pretty big overhaul coming up soon as well, but that won't even begin to happen until I send @DigitalChaos my vBulletin credentials, which I should probably do now before I forget.
    Should we post a poll before turning ETS into a reddit clone? I already have the subreddit defined and reserved: http://www.reddit.com/r/echoingthesound/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Sure, I guess the P-orridge clip is worth watching. I don't want to disparage the efforts of that documentary's filmmakers too much because they obviously don't have cooperation of the rights holders, or a budget to get it. There's only so many ways to tell a story without actually being able to show what happened.

You raise an interesting point about preservation. The more I think about it, the more I believe a large-scale "real" documentary would be the best way to preserve all those moments from the actual history of the band. Something like the Closure documentary on those Self Destruct tours, but for the whole NIN saga. Jeff Stein's The Kids Are Alright is one of my favourite movies ever; to have something similar, but with Trent Reznor in the Pete Townshend role would be incredible.

Interweave live performance videos with contemporary TR interviews about the approach the band was taking at that time, sprinkle in a few pieces about historic moments with overlaid commentary from the players of the time. Yeah, it would only cost a couple million dollars...
    realistically, if there was a solid crew in place, I think this could be kickstarted.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Should we post a poll before turning ETS into a reddit clone? I already have the subreddit defined and reserved: http://www.reddit.com/r/echoingthesound/
    Reddit is literally one of the worst websites, dear god please no