Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad albums released by good bands

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think The Division Bell is a good album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah I would add 13th step by APC - astounding pedigree but what a snoozer, "the package" is amazing but otherwise zzz
    13th Step is better than Mer De Noms, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    With the exception of Lurgee and Blow Out, the album is pretty terrible.

You is a pretty good song too, especially live.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-01-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    You is a pretty good song too, especially live.
    Oh yeah, You is good too. And Creep wouldn't be zoo bad if it wasn't so overplayed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I disagree "No prayer for the Dying" and "Fear of the Dark" are solid albums with great classics, "X Factor" is very underrated, "Virtual XI" is the weakest of the bunch but even that one has "The Clansman", "Futureal" and "The Angel and the Gambler" (i like it a lot..) excluding "Como Estais Amigos", i can't say a bad thing about that album, it's not great but it's listenable...
    Some of the Bailey songs are now Maiden staples.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Let's see...

R.E.M.-Around the Sun (very boring)
    Elvis Costello & the Attraction-Goodbye Cruel World (Elvis thought it was his worst album)
    David Bowie-Tonight (my least favorite album despite "Blue Jeans" and "Loving the Alien")
    U2-No Light on the Horizon (with the exception of "Magnificent", a lot of the songs are crap)
    Metallica-St. Anger (awful production and no guitar solos)
    Ride-Carnival of Light (more light Carnival of Shite)
    Marilyn Manson-Eat Me, Drink Me (very plodding and absolutely dull w/ the exception of a few tracks)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Some of the Bailey songs are now Maiden staples.
    You ever heard the live version of "Lord of the flies" with Bruce Dickinson on vocals?

Proves Maiden were still writing classics, if Bruce had sang in "The X Factor", everyone would like it...

Now that U2 has been brought here i have to say that "All you can't leave behind" and "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" are by far his worse albums, i don't care for "No line on the Horizon" and "Songs of Innocence" but at least they are just boring albums, not as shitty as the first two i mentioned...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-02-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Division Bell better than TPATGOD, TDSOTM and The Wall?
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. I'm NOT saying it's BETTER!
    I'm just saying I LIKE IT MORE.
    It's a matter of taste, I don't deny the greatness of the 3 albums you mention, I love them, but I listen to Division Bell a lot more often for some reason...that's all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. I'm NOT saying it's BETTER!
    I'm just saying I LIKE IT MORE.
    It's a matter of taste, I don't deny the greatness of the 3 albums you mention, I love them, but I listen to Division Bell a lot more often for some reason...that's all.
    Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with thinking it's better either, if that was the case. It's just an unusual opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    PJ Harvey's only underperforming LP: 'Uh Huh Her.' It's supposed to be raw & disorganized and it is. Secret success, then?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This topic is tough to benchmark. Once a band is past their prime (or has yet to hit their stride), how are you supposed to rate the inferior material? For instance, is St. Anger a terrible record? Yes. Is Metallica an amazing band? Yes, at one point they were. But let's be honest here. They were at least 10 years past their prime in 2003. So since they were no longer great, is it fair to put St. Anger on the list?

Even bands like NIN and The Smashing Pumpkins are interesting to consider. Do Year Zero and/or The Slip compare to The Downward Spiral or The Fragile? Not in a million years. Not even the same sport. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call them bad albums. Same with Zeitgeist or Oceania (compared to SP's prime records).

And what about bands who take years just to hit their stride. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, and Incubus are good examples. Is Pablo Honey a bad album? For the most part, yes. But were Radiohead even a good band yet? Not really; they were in the process of becoming a good band.

So if we weed out all of those cases, I think we are left with the following:

Deftones: Self-Titled (I'm sure I'll get crushed for this, but the Deftones were coming off a transcendent album and were still years away from other masterpieces. The ST record took 3 years to make and aside from Hexagram/Minerva/Bloody Cape, it completely missed the mark. To me, it's their worst effort and I still wonder what happened to all the nuance/dynamics/melody).

Oasis: Heathen Chemistry (Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was their finest moment. And after hearing the Hindu Times, I really felt like this could be a huge follow-up. It started out all right with some decent tracks, but once Songbird hit, it was evident that the band was going in a different direction. The last 7 songs on this record are easily some of the worst tunes of their career. She Is Love? Little By Little? Born On A Different Cloud? Complete rubbish. Sappy, happy horse-shit.)

Green Day: Insomniac (I'm sure some people wouldn't call Green Day a good band, but you can't deny the fact that Dookie had some catchy/huge songs. This follow-up record sucked though. All the songs blended in. There was absolutely nothing in the way of arrangement or intricacy. Green Day have always struggled to follow-up on success. Warning was complete crap after the diversity and energy of Nimrod. And 21st Century Breakdown was a poor attempt to recreate the magic of American Idiot. But Insomniac takes the cake due to it's 32 minute running length, it's negative vibes, and it's lazy approach.)

Queens Of The Stone Age: Era Vulgaris (This one is tough to include, because I hesitate to call it bad. But the record was a huge disappointment. Songs For The Deaf doesn't really need an introduction. And Lullabies is one of my top albums ever. So this one was a big let down. I dug the looseness of tunes like Turnin' On The Screw and I'm Designer, but there was too much fat on the bone. Battery Acid, Run Pig Run, and River in the Road are amongst the worst songs that Josh ever wrote. And Make It Witchu and Into The Hollow had been kicking around on Desert Session tapes for years. Plus, Sick Sick Sick is an annoying song, that should not have been the lead single. But I guess patience is a virtue, because 6 years later (after taking their time), we were blessed with ...Like Clockwork.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: The Effects Of 333 (What the hell was this? I still can't figure out what they did here. Baby 81 was a bad-ass record. And to follow it up with a complete load of crap is still baffling).

I'd put Muse's "The Second Law" on here. But I don't think they're a good band any more. So there's that..

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^I agree with what you say, when classic bands are not on their "prime" their albums grow "pale" in comparison, Radiohead's "Pablo Honey" is a great example because i don't consider it a "bad" album in musical terms, but if we are comparing the album to masterpieces like "The Bends" or "Kid A", the album sounds much inferior.

I think the same about B.R.M.C.'s "The Effects Of 333", i think i understand what they were trying to do (ambient, noise, Mogwai-esque kind-of album...), but it's a failed experiment that ended up being practically unlistenable...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    all of audioslave
    Wait, wait, wait, if you tag _all of it_ then you're going against of what the topic is about, no? You can't say the band is great while at the same time say all their albums are bad!

---
    and Bowie isn't even a "band" to be tagged here
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 03-02-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: logic alarm

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Radiohead--King Of Limbs
    Slowdive--Pygmalion (aside from Blue Skied An' Clear)
    Ministry--Dark Side Of The Spoon
    Tool--10,000 Days (Vicarious and Jambi...that's all there is)
    Man i love Dark side of the spoon. Whip and chain, Bad blood, kaif, vex and siolence.......some of my favorite ministry tracks from that era. I would say 'animositisomina' is far worse. I pretty much only listen to the title track and 'the light pours out of me'.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    and even then the bootleg NYC 1988 version of light pours out of me is wayyyy better

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Deftones: Self-Titled (I'm sure I'll get crushed for this, but the Deftones were coming off a transcendent album and were still years away from other masterpieces. The ST record took 3 years to make and aside from Hexagram/Minerva/Bloody Cape, it completely missed the mark. To me, it's their worst effort and I still wonder what happened to all the nuance/dynamics/melody).
    it's so funny because that's my favorite deftones album. i think white pony is their masterpiece but i get much more enjoyment out of listening to s/t. every song on it is fantastic, to me, and really makes me feel something. it's always interesting how subjective things like this are.
    @SarahConnor i actually love uh huh her and think it's up there with some of my favorite PJ albums, and i HATE HATE HATE white chalk. still haven't listened to "let england shake" for some reason.

incubus - light grenades (how do you put out an album as good as "a crow left of the murder" that moves your band in new, interesting directions, and has some of the coolest guitar work i've ever heard, and follow it up with such a boring piece of shit?)
    can - anything after "soon over babaluma" (though "landed" isn't TERRIBLE, it was a step in the wrong direction from which they never recovered)
    pixies - trompe le monde (i know a lot of people don't like bossanova, either, but i love it. i don't think i've listened to trompe le monde more than twice all the way through)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is it wrong that I like a lot albums mentioned in this thread?

For me:
    Jesu - Pale Sketches
    Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
    Pelican - What We All Come To Need
    A Perfect Circle - Emotive
    Envy - Recitation
    Gorillaz - The Fall

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Wait, wait, wait, if you tag _all of it_ then you're going against of what the topic is about, no? You can't say the band is great while at the same time say all their albums are bad!

---
    and Bowie isn't even a "band" to be tagged here
    the rest of it being rage against the machine (your logic alarm is faulty as even if you disagree it's surely easy to work out that's what I meant), I foresaw this causing a quibble but let's be real audioslave and RATM are more the same band than black sabbath and heaven and hell are. If that doesn't ring true for you then no worries
    Last edited by Sutekh; 03-02-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'll try and pick artists not mentioned yet.

Buddha and the Chocolate Box by Cat Stevens
    Amnesiac by Radiohead

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This site did the work for us, although I disagree with Iggy Pop's "Avenue B." "Nazi Girlfriend" is one of my favorite Iggy songs.
    great list, lots of truth.

but r.e.m.'s monster is great. they're totes right, though -- i think i actually paid $.49 for it a couple years ago at hastings (and there were lots of them at that price).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe
    incubus - light grenades (how do you put out an album as good as "a crow left of the murder" that moves your band in new, interesting directions, and has some of the coolest guitar work i've ever heard, and follow it up with such a boring piece of shit?)
    I agree that Light Grenades is terrible. However, I think Incubus had officially stopped being a good band right around that time. Other examples of this include: Silverchair (Young Modern), Garbage (Beautiful Garbage), Days Of The New (Red), Manson (The High End Of Low), and Zeppelin (Presence).

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I agree that Light Grenades is terrible. However, I think Incubus had officially stopped being a good band right around that time. Other examples of this include: Silverchair (Young Modern), Garbage (Beautiful Garbage), Days Of The New (Red), Manson (The High End Of Low), and Zeppelin (Presence).
    "shut your mouth," "androgyny," "cherry lips," "breaking up the girl," and "drive you home" say otherwise.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anything after vapor transmission by orgy.

Anything after the final cut by pink floyd.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 03-02-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    "shut your mouth," "androgyny," "cherry lips," "breaking up the girl," and "drive you home" say otherwise.
    I thought beautifulgarbage was really cool - it was the one after that which struck me as kind of dull rocky whatever. Loved shirley's look at the time, the wifebeater vest, peroxide hair and fingerless leather gloves

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    PJ Harvey's only underperforming LP: 'Uh Huh Her.' It's supposed to be raw & disorganized and it is. Secret success, then?
    It's Pollyfiller.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I thought beautifulgarbage was really cool - it was the one after that which struck me as kind of dull rocky whatever. Loved shirley's look at the time, the wifebeater vest, peroxide hair and fingerless leather gloves
    the title track on 'bleed like me' was the only song on that record i liked.

it deserves to be here, for sure.

i'll add the magnetic field's 'realism' and janet jackson's 'damita jo.'

and that 'beekeeper' piece if shit from tori amos. to be honest, though, everything post 'scarlet's walk' has been terrible. not a lot of differing opinions on that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Is it wrong that I like a lot albums mentioned in this thread?

For me:
    Jesu - Pale Sketches
    Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
    Pelican - What We All Come To Need
    A Perfect Circle - Emotive
    Envy - Recitation
    Gorillaz - The Fall
    Apparently yes it is. I tried to make a point by saying it's just a matter of opinions and who's to say which is better and which is worse and that this thread should be called "albums we don't like by bands we do like" but I failed to get my point across. Why? Because I listen to The Division Bell more than I do The Wall, The Dark Side of the Moon and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This topic is tough to benchmark. Once a band is past their prime (or has yet to hit their stride), how are you supposed to rate the inferior material? For instance, is St. Anger a terrible record? Yes. Is Metallica an amazing band? Yes, at one point they were. But let's be honest here. They were at least 10 years past their prime in 2003. So since they were no longer great, is it fair to put St. Anger on the list?

Even bands like NIN and The Smashing Pumpkins are interesting to consider. Do Year Zero and/or The Slip compare to The Downward Spiral or The Fragile? Not in a million years. Not even the same sport. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call them bad albums. Same with Zeitgeist or Oceania (compared to SP's prime records).

And what about bands who take years just to hit their stride. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, and Incubus are good examples. Is Pablo Honey a bad album? For the most part, yes. But were Radiohead even a good band yet? Not really; they were in the process of becoming a good band.
    A band can be past their prime (or yet to reach it) and still have decent or bad albums. I think you have to compare each album with the rest of their catalog. Take the Rolling Stones for example--they have been past their prime since the late 70's, yet some of their later work like Voodoo Lounge was pretty good and other albums like Dirty Work kind of suck.

RE: Year Zero--I actually think that album is one of Trent's best works and is a highlight of his career. It's was also a very well reviewed album.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-02-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm pretty lenient when it comes to albums by bands I like. At the moment, all I can think of is everything post-The Wall from Pink Floyd.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    It's Pollyfiller.
    yeah i really dislike that one, save for 'shame' and 'the slow drug' which are beautiful.

my contributions:
    cocteau twins- four calendar cafe
    killing joke- revelations
    siouxsie & the banshees- the rapture, join hands (mostly)
    kate bush- the red shoes
    modern english- ricochet days (chapter 12 rules, tho)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    ysiouxsie & the banshees- join hands (mostly)
    Join hands, it's a strange (concept?) album, but i kind of like it, it gets bizarre at times but that suits the band just fine...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    cocteau twins- four calendar cafe
    it's really funny because i was going to post that but i figured you were going to, as well, and wanted to leave it for you