Page 48 of 84 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Here's Bowie's last year or so of regular posting activity on what was BowieNet: http://community.davidbowie.com/inde...received&st=75

Admins there don't seem to have much luck with anything farther back. If anyone here has anything he posted I'd like to see it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Cat may be out of the bag regarding a possible 1974-76 box set: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...6/#more-121965

It would be nice if they made a more reasonable remaster of the Nassau show. The version on the STS deluxe is brickwalled and removes too much crowd noise. The bootlegs even sound better to me, and I'm hardly a strict audiophile.

There's a pivotal moment during the intro to the title song at that concert where you hear the crowd EXPLODE as Bowie steps on stage and it sends chills up my spine... I have no clue why they removed it from the official bonus disc version.

A/B the deluxe version live versions of "Word on a Wing" and "Stay" with the Ryko bonus tracks sometime.

Personally, I'd like to see something from the Philly Dogs/Soul leg of the 1974 tour, a cleaner sourced Dick Cavett set, or whatever is on that Sigma reel at Drexel... but I doubt those will appear.
    Last edited by emptydesk; 04-19-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yep.

I also have the feeling that if Bowie really left plans to open his vaults to release things, that whatever that could be isn't meant for this set of boxes.

The Rykos were sort of stymied by lack of access to material after 1976, having only what Bowie gave them. That's why the lineage of stuff like the bonus tracks the Ryko Berlin albums is at best vague (I have a hard time believing that "All Saints" isn't massively overdubbed/tinkered years later) and at worst dubious (I Pray Ole is clearly a Tin Machine era piece).

I'd love to be surprised, but the FIVE YEARS box revealed little of interest that I didn't already have access to, and had some quizzical omissions that seemed like natural fits to me. Why the 2003 mix of ZIGGY instead of another disc of outtakes and BBC stuff? There's a lot of BBC material that never made it onto BOWIE AT THE BEEB.
    Last edited by emptydesk; 04-19-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add to post

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    John Philips said he heard about six pieces of Bowie music intended for the film, but never said (or probably never knew) whether they just ended up on the Berlin LPs. I actually think I prefer the John Philips version to something Bowie-ambient, especially since the majority of the soundtrack is necessarily diegetic in the film. That wouldn't have made any sense with new Bowie pieces.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typos I'm the King of typos

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm actually pretty glad Five Years had the 2003 mix of Ziggy because it's a great mix that was unfortunately brickwalled on the dvd it was first released on. The snare finally doesn't sound like a wet cardboard box and they tamed the overall brightness without making it sound muddy.

Also, the Rykos kind of piss me off. They went way overboard with the eq, making them all very bright, then denied that they even eq'd them when in one of the gold disc, there's a slip that says that the gold discs were "matched to the eq of the regular rykos". Also, Young Americans uses the wrong mixes on some tracks, I think Fascination, Win and maybe Right.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-19-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, after all the remixes and reboots of the catalogue I still defer to my rips of original RCA west german pressings.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I know people (and the musicians involved) complain about the mix on LODGER, but I think the muddiness adds to the idea that it could have been a cassette found in that train station men's room.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Okay so 2016 is gonna end with Bowie and Prince and everybody else popping out in Time's Square on New Year's Eve performing a new song before announcing a new supergroup of geniuses with this year having been spent in secrecy to avoid all distractions so they could craft the greatest music of their career and embarking on the greatest world tour ever seen, right? Right?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Okay so 2016 is gonna end with Bowie and Prince and everybody else popping out in Time's Square on New Year's Eve performing a new song before announcing a new supergroup of geniuses with this year having been spent in secrecy to avoid all distractions so they could craft the greatest music of their career and embarking on the greatest world tour ever seen, right? Right?
    And it will be hosted by Lemmy.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Man I keep dreaming about Bowie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Man I keep dreaming about Bowie.
    What was it about?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I can't really remember. I thin he was watching TV with me and my family. He was in his older years and smiling.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Am I the only person here who still keeps forgetting and not feeling like Bowie's gone?
    I have that feeling too.
    I look at an interview or pop in a cd, and he's HERE.
    You know, he left us such a wealth of sound and vision that he kind of doesn't really HAVE to be gone.
    I've always found the whole "he will live on through his music" thing cliche, but this is the first time i've REALLY felt its meaning.
    Check out an interview you haven't seen. Play one of his albums you never really got into.
    And there he is, doing something new!
    A famous intellectual (i THINK it was Chomsky) said that part of his wife LITERALLY lived on through him because of how much she had imprinted into his mind and the fact that it was still there and he emulated some of it. Well, Bowie did that to ALL of us.
    This is honestly the first time i've ever had to actually "deal with the loss" of someone i never met, and what i described above has helped me immensely.
    Bowie lives.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I have that feeling too.
    I look at an interview or pop in a cd, and he's HERE.
    You know, he left us such a wealth of sound and vision that he kind of doesn't really HAVE to be gone.
    I've always found the whole "he will live on through his music" thing cliche, but this is the first time i've REALLY felt its meaning.
    Check out an interview you haven't seen. Play one of his albums you never really got into.
    And there he is, doing something new!
    A famous intellectual (i THINK it was Chomsky) said that part of his wife LITERALLY lived on through him because of how much she had imprinted into his mind and the fact that it was still there and he emulated some of it. Well, Bowie did that to ALL of us.
    This is honestly the first time i've ever had to actually "deal with the loss" of someone i never met, and what i described above has helped me immensely.
    Bowie lives.

I was gonna say what about Peter Steele? But then I remembered you met him.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I wouldn't leave my CD and case out in the sun to warp but this is cool:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/t...tar-in-the-sun

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Man, the bass at the beginning of Satanic Cyanide! The Killer Rocks On! by Rob Zombie reminds me of the opening of Lazarus.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I still feel sad too. I haven't had the courage to watch the "Lazarus" video again as well as listen to Blackstar again as it will just make me cry all over again.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still feel sad too. I haven't had the courage to watch the "Lazarus" video again as well as listen to Blackstar again as it will just make me cry all over again.
    I think Lazarus is really going to deserve some Song of the Year awards. It's so strange remembering how it sounded when I first heard it compared to now, with all the context there is for it. It's impossible not to be overwhelmed whenever I listen to it, and I think it's the most potent thing on the entire album.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I think Lazarus is really going to deserve some Song of the Year awards. It's so strange remembering how it sounded when I first heard it compared to now, with all the context there is for it. It's impossible not to be overwhelmed whenever I listen to it, and I think it's the most potent thing on the entire album.
    You and I should make love to it with candles burning.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Why? I use the album as a celebration of his life and culmination of his talents. No sadness surrounds it to me. It's a definitive book end to his music career.

I remember hearing it in December roughly a month before release and loving every single second of it. I needed that album then and now when I had heard it. Who knew when it dropped something else would've too...

Bizarre times.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-12-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar