Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: nin official discord server

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I DO remember something like "I just came in here to remind myself what a bunch of assholes you people are" back in the day.
    I don't remember this but I just laughed out loud.

...or like, smell them, or whatever.
    At this, too.

Edit: so did some of you realize how dope 100 gecs is, now that it's Trent telling you about it instead of me and @thefragile_jake ?
    I just can't do it. Partly out of 40-something curmudgeon-ness. I'll die on this hill, sadly. Please, mark my grave.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I don't remember this but I just laughed out loud.

At this, too.

I just can't do it. Partly out of 40-something curmudgeon-ness. I'll die on this hill, sadly. Please, mark my grave.
    Ha. Glad to provide a laff.

I swear to god that Trent post happened on the old ets. Does anyone else remember it?
    @cdm I'm 42 myself; I certainly don't begrudge people for not liking something. That was actually meant to be a SLIGHTLY loaded question.

On the level, I think gecs just turned me on because it's so fucking DIFFERENT: same with Ghostemane and old Chance the Rapper.
    And that's always been a bit of a pattern for me. Old 97s, NIN, Boards of Canada, Tricky, Rasputina, Fugees, Busta Rhymes, Broadcast, Squarpusher, Subtle, Tool...these acts all provided something no one else was really doing.

Sorry for drift.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Holy shit my friends, I go to a work function for two and a half days, and I come back to several pages of navel gazing over a comment Trent made about fans complaining on (presumably) our crusty old bulletin board?

Right up until better admins than I banned four particular noisemakers, there were a lot of people who were complaining about a handful of people complaining on a NIN bb, right here on this NIN bb. I should have banned them sooner.

Seems like you all got it out of your system. Good!

I personally don't have the bandwidth to do chat anymore. I didn't really have the bandwidth back in 1999 either, so I made a website where we'd compile the good stuff and make a more permanent record of it. Regrettably, after a small burst of activity, I let it lapse again, but given the speed at which information is being output in Discord, it's kind of a perfect opportunity to resurrect the ol NIN Hotline website with some periodic summaries of interesting things that went on in Discord.

The whole idea back when it started was: #nin99 was realtime, unfiltered content. The NIN Hotline was updated regularly - sometimes multiple times a day. There was a daily digest that got emailed out. Meathead created weekly articles/comics. And news was compiled into monthly archives. The Hotline was there to collect this information in a way that was digestible at your own pace. Don't believe for a minute that those images and photos in the Tour Journal channel on discord will last forever if there isn't an external process to archive and present them.

Guess I should add some cards to my personal Trello board and blow the dust off the ol' Perl code once more.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I have some very fond memories of checking the NIN Hotline every morning in the computer lab at school from 1997 on. I really miss the Meathead Perspective too, that was an absolute goldmine of comedy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As long as we get a new meathead cartoon for Fashion i don’t care whatelse happens.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Holy shit my friends, I go to a work function for two and a half days, and I come back to several pages of navel gazing over a comment Trent made about fans complaining on (presumably) our crusty old bulletin board?

Right up until better admins than I banned four particular noisemakers, there were a lot of people who were complaining about a handful of people complaining on a NIN bb, right here on this NIN bb. I should have banned them sooner.

Seems like you all got it out of your system. Good!

I personally don't have the bandwidth to do chat anymore. I didn't really have the bandwidth back in 1999 either, so I made a website where we'd compile the good stuff and make a more permanent record of it. Regrettably, after a small burst of activity, I let it lapse again, but given the speed at which information is being output in Discord, it's kind of a perfect opportunity to resurrect the ol NIN Hotline website with some periodic summaries of interesting things that went on in Discord.

The whole idea back when it started was: #nin99 was realtime, unfiltered content. The NIN Hotline was updated regularly - sometimes multiple times a day. There was a daily digest that got emailed out. Meathead created weekly articles/comics. And news was compiled into monthly archives. The Hotline was there to collect this information in a way that was digestible at your own pace. Don't believe for a minute that those images and photos in the Tour Journal channel on discord will last forever if there isn't an external process to archive and present them.

Guess I should add some cards to my personal Trello board and blow the dust off the ol' Perl code once more.
    so what you’re saying is:
    - we already banned a “handful” of bitchers
    - you want to utilize the nin hotline to archive any and all pertinent band info/media from the discord channel for posterity.

this is why i like you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I really miss the Meathead Perspective too, that was an absolute goldmine of comedy.
    There's been an awful lot "I miss Meathead" on the Discord. I echo that.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    personally i think the meathead we knew is dead. if trent’s covid hair didn’t resurrect him, i don’t think anything will.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    funny, i have discord open and i pop into some channels here and there but then i come back to this thread to see if i missed anything of importance because the updates of the real content has been posted here by others.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I have some very fond memories of checking the NIN Hotline every morning in the computer lab at school from 1997 on. I really miss the Meathead Perspective too, that was an absolute goldmine of comedy.
    I always hit up toolshed.down.net, prongs.ministry.org, nineinchnails.net/news and theprp.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    personally i think the meathead we knew is dead. if trent’s covid hair didn’t resurrect him, i don’t think anything will.
    I came across his instagram a few years ago but I don't I've seen it recently. Was mostly his brand of cubist-ish portrait art. Was nice to see.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Meathead evolved - and rightly so! He had a weird niche, it limited him creatively. I get what you mean, but there's been a lot of actual death in the last two years - he's moved on to other things and I think that should be celebrated.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    so what you’re saying is:
    - we already banned a “handful” of bitchers
    - you want to utilize the nin hotline to archive any and all pertinent band info/media from the discord channel for posterity.

this is why i like you.
    1) There's always going to be critique here, but the real moaners and groaners are gone and I'm glad you and the rest of the crew helped make that happen.
    2) Heck yeah! Like... you see here, someone will post a quote from one of the band members on Discord, and it takes a few replies before we get context. That's the perfect kind of thing to post on the NIN Hotline. "Here's a recap of some things you might have missed in the madness that is Discordance: Trent's scoring these films and has this to say" - doesn't have to be screen shots, in fact it's better if it's text.

If you run into any errors while posting, @sweeterthan , text me and I should be able to get to them pretty quickly now - although after the last week of this month, I'm going to be out of the loop for the next few months. It's a busy year.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I became a full blown NIN fan in 2009 but I remember when I found out about Meathead after he retired from the community. That dude was great. He was shitposting back before shitposting was popular.

Personally, I think the real time interaction of Discord is very cool and it reminds me of the old NIN.com which was pretty fun for all the 10 seconds I got to witness it since I became a fan so late. The way I see it, there's room for the Discord, ETS, NIN Hotline, Pen Pals, Warcraft Guild, whatever the hell else. Fans should be able to communicate whenever and wherever.

I remember reading old archived posts of Trent on a message board way back in 1992. Yes, that's right, the internet existed in 1992 and was a complicated piece of shit but Trent dropped by to talk to fans anyways. You can find that one on the NIN Hotline.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 05-05-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Speaking of general Discordance updates:

kraw has been actively engaging with people periodically, which is awesome. Tour photos will continue to be in black & white, though there may be color options later down the road (he posted a sick red & black shot from the back of the venue at Franklin). There is also discussion of Discordance merch, though nothing confirmed -- maybe a shirt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's someone who doesn't wish to be known until they want to be known. Really nice person. They aren't part of the main 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once he updated the tour journal to remove the Franklin, TN thread, everyone blew up and wanted to interact with him when he was reposting. He loves the responses, conversations, and the controlled chaos of it all.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I have to say, I also have been loving the place so far. It's a hell of a lot more supportive than the one from reddit and I really appreciate that, especially when I have been sharing my stuff to the other fans too. And it is really to see Trent and Atticus interact with the all the fans too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hellooooo everyone. I have tried to get access to this server and though I've done both types of verification, I can't see the chat or any of the tour journal. I can't believe I'm having such a hard time with this and I feel old as hell! Any recommendations are appreciated.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninEater View Post
    Hellooooo everyone. I have tried to get access to this server and though I've done both types of verification, I can't see the chat or any of the tour journal. I can't believe I'm having such a hard time with this and I feel old as hell! Any recommendations are appreciated.
    I was the same. Gave up and walked away. 24 hours later I said fuck it I'll try it again - and it randomly worked.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Another tidbit from this evening -- we could have a much larger variety of merch, e.g. stickers, but due to factors outside the band's control, we are limited largely to what we see on the store and at the shows. Getting new merch items approved and produced is apparently a non-trivial process.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninEater View Post
    Apparently there are some issues with verification right now. "The bot is currently having issues with verification. Please DM a moderator to manually verify if you run into a problem."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Apparently there are some issues with verification right now. "The bot is currently having issues with verification. Please DM a moderator to manually verify if you run into a problem."
    I just sent a dm to a mod, thank you for the recommendation! Hopefully this helps. I'm honestly shocked (and embarrassed) at how slowly I'm understanding the discord platform. I'm mid-30s and feel like a frickn boomer!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well dang! I'm in thanks to a swift response by Invalid Number. Thanks, all!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

🤣🤣

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    This was the end of a challenge Trent set out. He told chat that if anyone guessed the name of the director for the movie he was currently working on within the next 30 minutes, he'd send a pizza to their house.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    This was the end of a challenge Trent set out. He told chat that if anyone guessed the name of the director for the movie he was currently working on within the next 30 minutes, he'd send a pizza to their house.
    BTW he said 30 seconds, not minutes (but really gave like two minutes for people to guess).

Unlucky guesses: Fincher, PTA, Zucker/Abraham, Burton, Cohen, Nolan, Lynch, Aster, John Waters, Cronenberg, Spielberg, Eggers, Quentin, Guadagnino, Pete Docter.

Gotta be some indie film again, isn't it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    BTW he said 30 seconds, not minutes (but really gave like two minutes for people to guess).

Unlucky guesses: Fincher, PTA, Zucker/Abraham, Burton, Cohen, Nolan, Lynch, Aster, John Waters, Cronenberg, Spielberg, Eggers, Quentin, Guadagnino, Pete Docter.

Gotta be some indie film again, isn't it.
    Not exactly. The director is Luca Guadagino.
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/atticu...nished-3218589

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david.kuznicki View Post
    Not exactly. The director is Luca Guadagino.
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/atticu...nished-3218589
    No, because that one is finished (hence the title of the article). He said it was a movie they were currently working on.

EDIT: I just realized you're new here. Sorry, I didn't mean to shoot down your first post. Welcome to ETS, @david.kuznicki !
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-09-2022 at 10:09 AM.