Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: David Lynch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Man I wish I lived in Chicago just so I could pick up one of these posters

credit: @seanlongmore

The festival would be cool to attend too.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    The festival would be cool to attend too.
    I have no idea how I'd swing a week... but... holy 35mm...

And, for Inland Empire:

New 4K Picture & Sound Remaster, supervised by David Lynch, courtesy of Janus Films | Many very special extras and surprises before and after this screening
    Say it with me, Criterion Collection.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Would Inland Empire even benefit from a 4k release when it was shot on a gameboy camera?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty sure the 4k upres is utilizing ai technology, or at least I read that one Facebook.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    If Rob can upscale SD AATCHB footage in his spare time to an amazing result, then I'm sure professional remaster of this movie will deliver too, if done right.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It would be interesting to watch a remastered version, Blu Ray did wonders to movies like Blue Velvet and Fire Walk With Me, pretty sure "Inland Empire" would use the same techniques.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-14-2022 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well, I mean even Inland Empire benefited from a Blu-ray release because less compression.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Would Inland Empire even benefit from a 4k release when it was shot on a gameboy camera?
    There was quite a bit of care that went into the original:

https://theasc.com/ac_magazine/April...cus/page1.html

Criterion did a great job with Bamboozled and The Celebration, but those were only at 2K (and do not contain HDCAM tapes/footage).
    Last edited by Jon; 03-15-2022 at 10:12 PM. Reason: word

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Looks like a 4K version of Lost Highway is coming soon, presumably from Criterion.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Looks like a 4K version of Lost Highway is coming soon, presumably from Criterion.
    Definitely going to get this. Great movie but the latest transfer is dogshit, at least to my eyes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Holy Shit. It's still speculation for now. And it's always dangerous to speculate with a Lynch project. But Variety is even reporting on this now. And they're not exactly a tabloid publication. I hope it's true.

Also side note, new Cronenberg film too? Sign me up.

https://variety.com/2022/film/global...ar-1235229734/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Possible bad news. Although I wouldn't put it passed Lynch to lie about it until he feels the time is right.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Damn, now I want to check out the remastered Inland Empire. Definitely in for the 4K Lost Highway when that comes out, as well.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Possible bad news. Although I wouldn't put it passed Lynch to lie about it until he feels the time is right.
    Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm both excited and terrified.

I was ESPECIALLY terrified at the "possible bad news" bit.

I didn't expect a new Lynch movie. But we DID have concrete evidence of an impending Netflix show.
    Lynch turning a failed tv pilot into a film...that's Mulholland Drive, so I guess it's quite possible.

Sometimes I think he might be done with big projects, though.

This man is just as happy building a table with a coffee cup holder and a place to put a pack of smokes as he is making film, I think.

I don't care about 4k.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Just when you think it's all coffee and cherry pie it turns out it might just all be...GARMONBOZIA!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Just when you think it's all coffee and cherry pie it turns out it might just all be...GARMONBOZIA!
    The news are making me feel just like this scene:

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    The news are making me feel just like this scene:

I totally missed the movie rumors.

What happened to Unrecorded Night?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What happened to Unrecorded Night?
    It was in production apparently, but they never gave any updates beyond that, now many are saying it was cancelled, so back to Audrey's scene...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Lost Highway coming in October...

EDIT: I guess this was mentioned in the Criterion Collection thread as well.
    Last edited by Jon; 07-16-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Very possible both it and INLAND EMPIRE could be announced Monday.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Finally, i'm glad i didn't buy the Blu Ray.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I really hope Criterion doesn't mess the picture quality like they did with Mulholland Dr...

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I really hope Criterion doesn't mess the picture quality like they did with Mulholland Dr...
    Did they mess up the new 4k release of it? I've got the bluray and it looks good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Did they mess up the new 4k release of it? I've got the bluray and it looks good.
    I had forgotten it was recently re-released on 4K, hahah. From what I've read, the 4K transfer overall looks great, but the Criterion release of it suffers from some compression/noise issues. The StudioCanal 4K release fares better in that regard, with less compression artifacts in the darker scenes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I honestly do not notice the macro blocking people were bringing up about the Mulholland Drive Criterion Blu-ray. I'm not saying it's not there, but you pretty much have to be pixel hunting to notice it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I honestly do not notice the macro blocking people were bringing up about the Mulholland Drive Criterion Blu-ray. I'm not saying it's not there, but you pretty much have to be pixel hunting to notice it.
    Yeah, same. Granted, I don't have a great-looking TV screen for picking out fine details like that, but I don't really notice the issues some have pointed out with it.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, same. Granted, I don't have a great-looking TV screen for picking out fine details like that, but I don't really notice the issues some have pointed out with it.
    Same here. My TV is getting pretty old. I think 10+ years. It is 1080p but honestly it does such a good job at making even DVDs and streaming content look good that I have been putting off upgrading for a long time. It does dark colors really well for some reason. Meanwhile I have a friend with a newer TV and almost everything they stream looks like shit with tons of digital artifacts every time there is some shadow or some fog. BUT if I watch a bluray over there it usually looks amazing, more vibrant than my TV. Honestly I think I prefer mine though as shadow and lighting are more important to me than detail. Do I really need to see every pore on someone's face at the expense of digital artifacts with anything other than bluray/4k? My TV will fail eventually though and idk what the best option is, OLED maybe? I don't keep up with these things, I just hope by the time I have to buy one they are dirt cheap.

The Lost Highway bluray that's out has always looked like shit to me, right from the opening scene. I know Lynch doesn't endorse that version either so I'm excited for this Criterion release. I'm also excited for Inland Empire to see what they were able to do with that awful early 2000s digital image. The only movie from back then I give a pass to for using that is 28 Days Later because I just think it kinda works. Even so, I'd like to see an update of that one too.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Meanwhile I have a friend with a newer TV and almost everything they stream looks like shit with tons of digital artifacts every time there is some shadow or some fog. BUT if I watch a bluray over there it usually looks amazing, more vibrant than my TV. Honestly I think I prefer mine though as shadow and lighting are more important to me than detail. Do I really need to see every pore on someone's face at the expense of digital artifacts with anything other than bluray/4k?
    Perfect attitude, honestly.

Assuming you don't have a $10K Sony TV, native 1080p will always look better on a 1080p screen than it does on a 4K screen. 480 SD will look better on the 1080p screen than the 4K screen (I know I could just say 2160p). I would say we personally use the 4K for only about 10 percent of our viewings, perhaps less.