Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep It Together

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    this was my first thought as well. on first listen, hearing it open with the drum loop repeating four times before other stuff comes in was a bit disappointing — a strong part of the reason why i think the older NIN albums were so captivating was the creative use of arranging. a song like "Eraser" or even "We're in This Together" wouldn't be those songs without their specific, less-(or non-)linear arrangements. in fact, as TDS goes on, the arrangements become more and more fucked up, something that contributes to its listenability and lessens the fatigue of an hour of music.

evidently, though, if it's a been a year they've sat on this material and it still opens with four drum loop cycles, this is something they aren't much concerned with anymore. the focus now is on textures, new, more analog-synth-ish ways of making sound, and making things that evolve over time rather than creating bombastic and circuitous maps.
    So basically the music version of this...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    So basically the music version of this...

Trent did music for Quake and for COD, so this is worryingly apt

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    You're going around in circles. 7 of HTDA's 8 tracks sound exactly the same. They're good songs, but they're the same songs with different instruments at different tempos. And one's a cover.

She sings more expressively on Fur Lined because the song is different from the rest. What about my statement aren't you getting, bro?
    They're the same songs with different instruments and different tempos? I couldn't help but laugh at this! Oh wait, it gets worst.

She sings "differently" on Fur Lined because the song is different? Oh boy ...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I love her vocals on Ming and Ping's Chinatown, different from the HTDA_ drone style #MyTwoPenneth

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Hmm, not bad. But it's from that same school of remixing that a lot of YZR was, where there's nothing really new been added, it's just ... there.

Original is far better, but I'll still download this - HTDA's first official remix after all!

The file name is B1 ... that's what a vinyl would be called....
    Last edited by sheepdean; 10-18-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like it, but much prefer the bassiness (?) of the original. Thought it was all gonna kick off towards the end when the guitar came to the fore. Sadly not.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Thought it was all gonna kick off towards the end when the guitar came to the fore. Sadly not.
    this
    wtf was the point of the 3:00-3:30 part? it was ramping up nicely and then just... fell over and died at 3:30. This thing sounds like someone hit the randomize button on a song composition tool.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i enjoyed the remix quite a bit. totally different from the original, which is what i expect sometimes from a remix. although i do agree that the build up around the 3 minute mark was a bit of a let down.
    i wanted the song to really explode at that moment.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ahhh very nice. So... the multitracks are where?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Thought it was all gonna kick off towards the end when the guitar came to the fore. Sadly not.
    agree completely. big time blown opportunity there to really make this stand out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    this
    wtf was the point of the 3:00-3:30 part? it was ramping up nicely and then just... fell over and died at 3:30.
    apparently, dave sitek can`t keep it together too

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Still no Artist Page, but HTDA are frontpage of Columbia's site for the new remix http://www.columbiarecords.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I don't know, I was not a big fan of the last EP and a lot of HTDA tracks just kind of bleed into each other. I'm not as impressed as I normally am with Trent's stuff. I feel like I'm not adding anything new to the conversation but I just wish that if How to Destroy Angels is going to seperate itself from the NIN brand that it at least sounds a little bit distant from music we could easily hear under the Nine Inch Nails name. It can be electronic,, but Keep it Together truly does sound like something that would be a more down tempo track on a new NIN album. I will say that musically, it's much more interesting than what Trent was doing on some of the songs on Year Zero (my least favorite NIN record) but I can easily hear Trent's voice on these songs as opposed to Mariqueen. I suppose time will tell how truly great How to Destroy Angels can be but I still kind of am in the camp of waiting around for another Nine Inch Nails album.

Sorry for not adding anything drastically new.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    keep it together!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sychnronization fail at 02:47.. her voice.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    If you think any of the 'in-studio' performances since March of the Pigs has been single-cut live performances, the 'fail' is on you.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    ^^^ there are samples and there is real singing, i think
    but, still no synchronous singing... practice practice

>>

love that band shot. impressive, all that gear...
    Last edited by witte; 11-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it really looks like Rob is playing/tweaking something musically. so i think it's fair to say he's an integral part of this ensemble from more than just a visual standpoint. (though they could be faking us out a la Marilyn Manson "playing guitar" in the Gave Up video)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    well, he definitely appears to be playing the bass synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Video is awesome. I always loved the videos they did with the band together surrounded by gear in the past.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Welp, not sure how I felt about that.. It just kind of feels like what this project has been since the beginning...something starts off "Oh, this could be interesting"...minute in..."Hrmm, they're losing me here"....song is finished....."Yeah, I don't know about that."

Of course this is just a little in studio video but I wish they would've done it for another track or something. Mariqueen at times looked as bored as me towards the end of the video.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That answers my "What is that sound hitting C (Fade in Fade out 8 hits) Plucked string or..?" question! Also an interesting machine seen, sliding a guitar pic along it...

Initial thought:

A very serious video, they appear to have a strong connection with the instruments & themselves in this vid. Good job Rob. MQ is amazing. It's as though they are channeling music; nothing but mind1, body and machine in this video. No distractions.

Makes me miss MTV & Much Music.

1. perception beyond ordinary

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This video made me actually kind of dig the song. what an interesting thought...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like how everything is blinking in the background

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great video. No doubt using Rob's Cannon 5D Mark III. Love the DOF in the shots. Gear is always cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haha, Trent just posted the link on Facebook and the first person who commented wrote "how bout the Fragile re-release.. eh? eh?".

I can't imagine how fucking annoying that must be as an artist

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Oops. My bad. :P
    'Twas a joke of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Oops. My bad. :P
    'Twas a joke of course.
    Just because of your "joke" Trent now needs a new keyboard.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wouldn't be the first time, without hearing Letting You and only reading the lyrics I wrote on ETS that I thought the lyrics by themself sounded kind of stupid...he then went on to tell me my face was stupid. :'(