Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Everyone keeps saying after season 4... am I the only one that thought season 5 was fantastic?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I enjoyed 6 and 7. This one is just kinda boring and anticlimactic. Imo, the weak ones are 3 and 8.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really thought Dex killing Saxon, IN THE FUCKING POLICE STATION ON VIDEO would have been enough to put him away. I guess I was wrong, I really wanted to see Dexter go down.

I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread about the season and the finale so I won't repeat it. The one thing I really wish they would have shown was Harrison killing an animal or showing murderous signs like Dex did when he was a kid. I mean, he watched his mother die in a pool of her own blood and then his father abandoned him. That kid is gonna have some issues when he grows up.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    I really thought Dex killing Saxon, IN THE FUCKING POLICE STATION ON VIDEO would have been enough to put him away. I guess I was wrong, I really wanted to see Dexter go down.

I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread about the season and the finale so I won't repeat it. The one thing I really wish they would have shown was Harrison killing an animal or showing murderous signs like Dex did when he was a kid. I mean, he watched his mother die in a pool of her own blood and then his father abandoned him. That kid is gonna have some issues when he grows up.
    They did conclude (Dex, Angel, and Quinn) that it was self defense.. but you can tell so much that the elephant in the room was Angel and Quinn obviously having doubts just by the look they gave Dexter. They knew something was up, but didn't dare even tread on it because it was Deb. There are so many holes but there were a lot of aspects about the finale I did enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Everyone keeps saying after season 4... am I the only one that thought season 5 was fantastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I enjoyed 6 and 7. This one is just kinda boring and anticlimactic. Imo, the weak ones are 3 and 8.
    Season 5 was good, 6 was a bit over the top, 7 featured Isaak whom imho was one of the best Dex villains.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just watched the final episode. I have mixed feelings I guess. Overall not bad all things considered.

I guess I thought each season was pretty good. IMO most of the seasons had their sort of hookey parts, the Rita shit got kinda tiring at times. Though I do feel overall the earlier to mid seasons were better. If they do a box set I'd probably buy it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have a feeling I'd have a different reaction to it if I slogged through the whole season, but I feel a little insulted for having got as far as I did (watched pretty much every episode of seasons 1,2,4,5,6,7) when I read how it ended. The biggest missed opportunity is that Dexter never became public enemy no.1 and was the focus of a manhunt. Or that he never truly snapped after Rita died, just gradually moving on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ending would have been better if Dexter had just died at sea and sunk down into a pile of body bags.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This show stayed around 2 season, too long. I'm not surprised it ended with such a whimper. It was all down-hill after the Trinity Killer story-line. Oh well, at least Breaking Bad is ending on a strong note, well before it wore out its welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I have a feeling I'd have a different reaction to it if I slogged through the whole season, but I feel a little insulted for having got as far as I did (watched pretty much every episode of seasons 1,2,4,5,6,7) when I read how it ended. The biggest missed opportunity is that Dexter never became public enemy no.1 and was the focus of a manhunt.
    i can agree with that, playing devil's advocate, i think they avoided the manhunt since that would have been expected and would have set up numerous circumstances where dex would have to be ultimately responsible for the deaths of more decent cops like Doakes or LaGuerta.

i really liked the scene where dex, quinn & batista are all watching the saxon kill, at that point quinn & batista know that there is far more to dex than meets the eye, but both have a decided interest in looking the other way - but that could have been the seed that prompted batista to re-open the box of stuff LaGuerta left for him, we didn't need to see him follow all the breadcrumbs, but just enough to know that he had / was going to pick up the trail would have been cool.

it was also a good bit of double talk from dexter, i recall that happening alot more in the early seasons.

the other big miss is just the final shot, dex's status at that point is unclear, is this a dex that has made peace with his demons and is out doing physical labor as some kind of penance, or is dex completely gone at that point and all that's left is the dark passenger. listening to the showtime dex podcast the writers didn't seem to have a definitive pov there. - that imho is a complete failure on their part, if they had a definite vision for the scene then it's on the director & mch (et al) to pull off, but they didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    If they do a box set I'd probably buy it.
    though the price is a bit much, the boxset looks really cool, its like the wooden box dexter kept his blood slides in
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Complet...dexter+box+set

hah... this ones even cooler...
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Complet...dexter+box+set

nothing touches the breaking bad boxset though, if i could afford it i would buy it just for the barrel.
    http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Bad-C...ing+bad+boxset

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So it would appear that Showtime instructed the writers not to kill Dexter.

http://screenrant.com/showtime-dexte...ason-8-finale/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That sounds a lot like what MGM told Stallone when he was about to do Rocky V. I don't think him dying at the end would have saved an otherwise poor sequel, but it at least would have gone out on his terms.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Not surprised. I don't hate the finale, it made sense in a way to happen the way it did. However, for a show as brilliant as this, everyone was expecting something different and better. The entire 8th season felt like a sleeper-linked season which was setting up for a final ninth season. It felt like it was gearing up for something else. I don't dislike season 3, but it set up for his marriage and "American Dream" life in season 4. I see season 8 along those lines, however it isn't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    But the first 4 episodes of season 8 were so good! In my mind now, the series ends with Deb plunging herself and Dex into the lake, because nothing that came after made sense.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Ugh, gross. Absolutely horrible finale and, unless they lean totally into being camp, I can't imagine how this will play out.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Reboot? So not a continuation? And if it's more like the book then they can FRO.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Clyde Phillips was the showrunner for the first four seasons, you know, when the show was good. He's on board for this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah, no thanks. There were more bad seasons than good ones in the original run, and one of the worst finales I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I can see this going well.
    They got the writer that worked on seasons 1 through 4 working on it. In my opinion those are the only seasons worth watching.
    Every season after 4 was horrible, derivative, unimaginative, lacked focus etc and was just a total waste of time.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm game.

But yah. Anytime people talk about bad season finales, I always ask, "as bad as Dexter?!"

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Wow, really loved that show for quite a while... did it really go for 8 seasons? I never wateched the finale and only read about it, that's how heavily it lost me down the road.

Can't see this working out, but if it does, I'd be too good to be true. That being said, Michael C. Hall basically vanished afterwards from screens, at least in Europe. Anything I have to catch up? I have a lot of respect for the guy actually, but never really bothered to catch up with him, sadly.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that was a very strange year, now that they mention it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm game, can't be any worse than season 8 haha.

I'll always love Dexter and Hall's acting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm game, can't be any worse than season 8 haha.

I'll always love Dexter and Hall's acting.
    Right? Everyone saying they don't see it going well due to the disaster of Seasons 6 through 8 (Season 5 was just fine).

Saying they want to try something different is just fine. The formula was lost after season 5 imo and season 3 wasn't all that amazing either, but much better than its counterparts. Many that worked on the show, including MCH expressed their disdain for how it ended so I see this going well.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Wow, really loved that show for quite a while... did it really go for 8 seasons? I never wateched the finale and only read about it, that's how heavily it lost me down the road.

Can't see this working out, but if it does, I'd be too good to be true. That being said, Michael C. Hall basically vanished afterwards from screens, at least in Europe. Anything I have to catch up? I have a lot of respect for the guy actually, but never really bothered to catch up with him, sadly.
    He did a lot of stage stuff after Dexter and was well recognized for that, but nothing on the popular tv/film that gets outside the US I believe. Though he did do Bowie's Lazarus in London.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    He did a lot of stage stuff after Dexter and was well recognized for that, but nothing on the popular tv/film that gets outside the US I believe. Though he did do Bowie's Lazarus in London.
    His work in Six Feet Under is great.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Agreed, but that was before Dexter.