Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Basically alt-right Internet shit disturbers thought they'd go and use the OK hand sign for their own kicks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wing-alt-right
    OH RIGHT. I did hear about this. When he gave the hand signal I didn’t even connect it to that because it’s just so ridiculous. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Really loved the new episode. I thought it was weird how much they blatantly pulled the style from Birdman, but it definitely worked!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    that was one of the most beautiful and well-crafted episodes of television i've ever watched. hot damn.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This show is just knocking out the park more and more with every new episode for me. It took a couple to take hold but I find myself wishing it was Monday already and I can watch the next one. The last two kind of origin style ones have been incredible.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The latest episode made me wonder Spoiler: when exactly were Will's nostalgia pills produced? Did Lady Tieu and Will made them after Will was taken in car by that flying thing and then planted it before dropping the car back?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The latest episode made me wonder Spoiler: when exactly were Will's nostalgia pills produced? Did Lady Tieu and Will made them after Will was taken in car by that flying thing and then planted it before dropping the car back?
    He had them when Angela took him to her bakery at the end of Ep 1 > beginning of Ep 2.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    He had them when Angela took him to her bakery at the end of Ep 1 > beginning of Ep 2.
    Well then how Spoiler: could she see the hanging then? Perhaps they added a new one to the bottle?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Well then how Spoiler: could she see the hanging then? Perhaps they added a new one to the bottle?
    Hmmmmm Spoiler: I don't think he was ever in possession of the pills after Angela took them. They were on the counter and then she took them from the bakery, and eventually gave them to Wade who then gave the bottle to his ex. Unless I'm misremembering I don't think there was opportunity to add pills to the jar. I'd have to go back and rewatch. You bring up a good point though. One possible explanation is that pill was an artificial / fabricated memory...although I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Hmmmmm Spoiler: I don't think he was ever in possession of the pills after Angela took them. They were on the counter and then she took them from the bakery, and eventually gave them to Wade who then gave the bottle to his ex. Unless I'm misremembering I don't think there was opportunity to add pills to the jar. I'd have to go back and rewatch. You bring up a good point though. One possible explanation is that pill was an artificial / fabricated memory...although I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory.
    Spoiler: One theory I saw on reddit is that the hanging memories were IV'ed to Angela by Lady Tieu. Make total sense, actually.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Spoiler: One theory I saw on reddit is that the hanging memories were IV'ed to Angela by Lady Tieu. Make total sense, actually.
    Just discussed this with a good friend of mine...he agrees Spoiler: with the IV theory.

Edit: Whatever the explanation I really hope it isn't a plot hole. Given the level of detail so far I'm optimistic that it isn't.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-26-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Music: good, generic, uninspired.
    Update after "THE WAY IT USED TO BE" - I was wrong, sorry. :^)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm kind of shocked that the nin fanbase isn't freaking out about this show more than it seems they are, at least to me. It is an incredible achievement in so many ways. It's just so special. That last episode? Oh man.

Thread only 5 pages? When there is so much to discuss, dissect, analyze? Even with the peteypedia stuff, NIN fans should be eating that shit up. Can't quite understand it.

Also - can we kind of dispense with the spoiler tags in here and if you haven't seen the latest episode, stay out? Maybe that would help encourage things a bit, I don't know.

It's like Lost meets comic book lore with an incredible feeling of relevance and zeitgeist, with it's own unique style and a fucking bad ass score.

I am in love.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Just watched. So is Calvin really...??

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Just watched. So is Calvin really...??

yep.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Didn’t someone here say Calvin was? Am I imagining that? And Life On Mars! Fuck.
    Last edited by cdm; 12-02-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: wrong Bowie song whoops

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    yep.
    I assume they’re going to show how he’s still okay after she beat him with a hammer?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well whoever it was that called the shit with Cal back in like Episode 2, pat yourselves on the damn back. What a fucking plot twist. God I love this show.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    SHUT THE FUCK UP

That is all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Is Cal like, a version of Dr. Manhattan, or, is he just sort of displaying some of his characteristics as a parallel?
    Way to call it 4 episodes in! I figured there was SOMETHING there, but you hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Props, elevenism

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    that was a fucking powerful episode in a season of powerful episodes. shit.

poor angela. that woman has been through some shit, and then her fucking grandpa shows up and fucks up her life (and fills her head with more horrific memories)? i'd be a mess and a half.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I like how it continues to capitalize on ideas about colonialism, being that in the relationship between Angela and Trieu, Angela sort of represents the colonizer. And one enormous hanging thread here is that whatever Vietnamese freedom fighters killed Angela's family, they probably didn't just go away.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I like how it continues to capitalize on ideas about colonialism, being that in the relationship between Angela and Trieu, Angela sort of represents the colonizer. And one enormous hanging thread here is that whatever Vietnamese freedom fighters killed Angela's family, they probably didn't just go away.
    Well, yes, that's one side of it. But why did the Vietnam vets (particularly so many African-Americans) choose to settle in Vietnam after it was annexed by America? Racism at home.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    And one enormous hanging thread here is that whatever Vietnamese freedom fighters killed Angela's family, they probably didn't just go away.
    I didn't interpret this part of the story arc as anything more than origin / character building for young Angela. Sure, maybe this informs subsequent seasons but for now that seemed like a pretty tight explanation as to how Angela Spoiler: was orphaned, adopted, and orphaned again. As well as how she became interested in police work and then adopted Sister Night @botley summed up the colonialism of Vietnam pretty well.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the elephant though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Safe to say Veidt is who crashed landed on the farm and why Treu bought the land?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, yes, that's one side of it. But why did the Vietnam vets (particularly so many African-Americans) choose to settle in Vietnam after it was annexed by America? Racism at home.
    This episode made me want to see a whole season of how Vietnam became the 51st state, more culturally than anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I fucking love this series and I can't believe there are only two more episodes left. It's only gotten better as it's progressed. I finally read the original graphic novel and it helped round it out for sure. The series can stand alone on it's own. It is so well crafted and executed and the changes they made albeit slight make perfect sense. Obviously the score is excellent on it's own but I really appreciate how much it's featured throughout . I can't get enough, so the plan is now that that I've read the source material I'll rewatch the movie and finish the series.. then be depressed that this is probably it as season 2 may never happen. likely with good reason

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I hope there’s another season just to catch up with Dan.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post
    I fucking love this series and I can't believe there are only two more episodes left. It's only gotten better as it's progressed. I finally read the original graphic novel and it helped round it out for sure. The series can stand alone on it's own. It is so well crafted and executed and the changes they made albeit slight make perfect sense. Obviously the score is excellent on it's own but I really appreciate how much it's featured throughout . I can't get enough, so the plan is now that that I've read the source material I'll rewatch the movie and finish the series.. then be depressed that this is probably it as season 2 may never happen. likely with good reason
    I had to google what you meant by season 2 may never happen and I’m suuuper bummed now after reading about it. This series has been a total fun surprise and it has so much potential to continue on for maybe 3-5 seasons.