Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastodon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been a Mastodon fan since 2004 when I first heard Leviathan and Remission and saw the Relapse Contamination Fest DVD. I remember waiting for Blood Mountain with great expectations and although there are some amazing songs on that album, it wasn't what I expected it to get from this band at the time. But Crack the Skye, for the most part, was everything I wanted from this band after Leviathan. That album rules. The Hunter is also like Blood Mountain for me - some really great songs but not really a stand out album. I hardly even listened to Once More.

I wasn't even interested in hearing Emperor of the Sand...especially after hearing another poppy weak single from this band. But I threw it on one day and fell in love with it. I probably listened to this album 20 times in 2 weeks a few months ago. I fell asleep to it a few times. Definitely on par with Crack the Skye. I think Steambreather, Clandestiny, and Jaguar God is some of the coolest shit they have ever done. Precious Stones really gets to me as well - Brent's vocals really shine on this one. Scorpion Breath has like Remission style riffs mixed with Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood tones. Definitely didn't expect it to be so good.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    another poppy weak single from this band.
    Hey! It was that "poppy weak single" that finally made me enjoy this band. Time and time again, over the years, I have heard nothing but praise for this band, so I would always check out a song or two every time I heard the positive feedback, however, the songs NEVER stuck with me (and I like Metal music). The songs just weren't jiving with me. I didn't understand the hype around this band.

So, last week the Aftershock festival gets announced and I bought tickets to attend, obviously for NIN haha. So, I decided it's time to get acquainted with some of the other bands on the bill as well, so I type in Mastodon into YouTube, first thing that comes up is the music video for "Show Yourself" OK, sure....

I was like "THIS is Mastodon???? I always remember this band being something else... hmm..." So I went straight for Emperor of the sand... I quickly discovered that his song stuck out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand, I liked what I was hearing otherwise. I was able to listen to the whole record and was quite impressed. I've went back to it a few times this week already. I'm probably in the majority here, but I really like that poppy single, but I also like the whole record as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I quickly discovered that his song stuck out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand, I liked what I was hearing otherwise. I was able to listen to the whole record and was quite impressed. I've went back to it a few times this week already. I'm probably in the majority here, but I really like that poppy single, but I also like the whole record as well.

It's not a bad song. It's just so weird for this band when you think about their Remission sound. If you had been introduced to this band via the Relapse Contamination Fest DVD where they played on the same bill as Neurosis, High On Fire, and Bongzilla you would have never expected to hear a song like Show Yourself from this band. Even 13 years later. Divinations from Crack the Skye was the first time they really hit the "pop" aspect of their sound. Show Yourself and High Road are also just like that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Loved that shit!

I really wanna see Mastodon in October but it's a work night

Actually fuck it. I still might go.

I bought it. (LOL!)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Brent teased the release of this earlier in the year when EotS was coming out..glad it's actually going to see the light of day. Mastodon's mellow tracks (Joseph Merrick, Elephant Man, Sleeping Giant, Creature Lives, The Sparrow, Jaguar God) have always been some of my favorites of theirs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sterogum claims its an EP, 3 songs from once more and 1 from emperor

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if it's coming out in september, why isn't it up for pre-order? is it just going to be a digital release?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    http://loudwire.com/mastodon-cold-da...-ep-september/

Yep, four song EP. A little disappointed it's not a full album, but that's the greedy fan in me. Still very pumped.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Cold Dark Place was originally suggested as possibly coming out on Record Store Day 2017, but the day came and went with no news on the release. Thankfully, Mastodon have confirmed its release for Sept. 22, with a limited-edition 10” vinyl picture disc of the EP coming out Oct. 27.
    FUCKING BOOOOOOOOO god damnit i hate picture discs. i want this to sound GOOD not like a piece of shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Love it! Sounds great!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Great song! Not as mellow as I was expecting it to be, but I love it all the same. Still wish this was going to be a full album!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    Great song! Not as mellow as I was expecting it to be, but I love it all the same. Still wish this was going to be a full album!
    i just wish they were putting out a standard vinyl instead of a picture disc.

sorry if i keep complaining about that, y'all. :/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After adding this song to my phone and listening on my car's huge subwoofer I can honestly say I LOVE this song a lot. I cannot wait for the EP. Such a nice surprise.

I hope they play this live when I seen them live at the start of October.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    CDP leaked. I already bought it; so I felt okay getting it early.

About to listen with headphones. Very excite!1

UPDATE:

It's very good stuff. 'North Side Star' and 'Cold Dark Place' are amazing, and 'Blue Walsh' is pretty good too. Very good EP. Wish this was an album!
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 09-16-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    CDP leaked. I already bought it; so I felt okay getting it early.

About to listen with headphones. Very excite!1

UPDATE:

It's very good stuff. 'North Side Star' and 'Cold Dark Place' are amazing, and 'Blue Walsh' is pretty good too. Very good EP. Wish this was an album!
    Agreed. I love all 4 tracks. Excellent stuff.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh yes, this is a tasty EP.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh yes, this is a tasty EP.
    agreed! i really enjoyed the whole thing.

i think toe to toes is the weakest track for sure, but it's still really good.

i really want to buy it but i'm not buying a god damn picture disc. here's hoping the press it on something sensible down the road :/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    agreed! i really enjoyed the whole thing.

i think toe to toes is the weakest track for sure, but it's still really good.

i really want to buy it but i'm not buying a god damn picture disc. here's hoping the press it on something sensible down the road :/
    Blue Walsh is my favorite!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/masto...-2be25cc2.html

Just looking at the setlist for the first show on the tour leg makes me sooooooo excited for next Wednesday! A lot of variety! There’s a song from every album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Blue Walsh is my favorite!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/masto...-2be25cc2.html

Just looking at the setlist for the first show on the tour leg makes me sooooooo excited for next Wednesday! A lot of variety! There’s a song from every album.
    Thanks for the no spoilers, I'll be seeing them in two weeks in San Antonio and want to go in expecting to be surprised. It'll be a dream weekend: Saturday is Russian Circles, EODM and Mastodon, on Sunday will be Code Orange, Torche and Gojira. So excited!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Double post...amazing Mastodon interview, heartwarming to see this guys have so much respect for each other: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/ma...ws-no-1-albums

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The show was phenomenal! All three bands tore it up! Exceptional show and night out for sure. I got a ton of photos and some videos. I’ll post up a few later tonight.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Here’s some random photos

https://imgur.com/gallery/eweIO

I also have 2 videos on my instagram here - https://www.instagram.com/thedoomeduser/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Emperor of Sand is a great album, but I'd venture to say the 4 songs off the EP would be the top 4 had they been included on the album. Hopefully these guys keep the momentum goin and become the next staple festival headliner.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I've always just basically avoided Mastodon for some reason. Something never got to grab me, although it from trying years ago...

But something about this song got to me, even in some of its Rush (IMO) qualities. It's in my head and I don't know what to do with it.

Kinda funny...
    Last Fall, Brent Hinds was in the record store I was working at, and a coworker was like "Somebody famous is in here..."
    I looked around and just assumed it was Brent's girlfriend or wife that they were talking about.
    Shortly after that, I ended up with an iPad in my hands and took some pictures of my manager and Brent.
    Nice enough seeming and mellow fella.
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.