Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Less Than

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    How many of you who live in the Los Angeles area are going to use those GPS coordinates found in the artwork file once you get your audio jack keychain thing and go find that magic control box from the album cover. Do you think it's some kind of key like the one from Mulholland Drive or the ring from Twin Peaks, that maybe gives you access to some wondrous other dimension like The Upside Down or the Black Lodge? Maybe a gateway to the Bang Bang Bar where the Nine Inch Nails are headlining every third Saturday of the month?

Moreover, does anyone hear songs like Less Than and trip out on how, 10 years ago, we were gathering around stuff like Survivalism, Capital G and Discipline and wondering what a Trent Reznor 10 years in the future would be like? Did we envision a failed retirement, an abundance of film score work, an amazing album that beats Massive Attack at their own game, and now black bubblegum throwback singles like this?

Can we even fathom what a Trent Reznor in 2027 will be up to..?
    discipline was 2008 wasn't it?

I just love how Trent eschewed most of his usual flair for with teeth because he claimed he wasn't sure if he could write music while sober but in 2008, he released the same number of albums as he did in the entire nineties (my use of the word album was deliberate so that broken doesn't mess up my statement).

People can complain about him being repetitive all they want. A man his age will repeat some things it's a given. But what other musician this far in his career can go from HM to NtAE with movie scores in between and keep things fresh and exciting?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So was Discipline the last popular single from NIN?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    From the Zane Lowe interview.
    Listen to the full interview here: https://app.box.com/s/70sgfr6fd2l5ehr4gfcbais51uxmikp7

Thanks, I DID listen to the interview live while I was at work earlier today, but I missed the first 4 or 5 minutes and then I was also distracted by co-workers for part of it, too. Anyway, this might be record-length for a non-remixed NIN track. Am I wrong?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    So was Discipline the last popular single from NIN?
    Came Back Haunted.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Screaming at this list of flawless tracks being called weak (except for Echoplex).

Echoplex is a weird way to spell Disappointed, but totally agree!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I love the way the lyrical meaning can be transferred to Brexit in the UK. The Did it fix what was wrong with you? especially poignant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I love the way the lyrical meaning can be transferred to Brexit in the UK. The Did it fix what was wrong with you? especially poignant
    Using that reasoning, you could also say the lyrics are in reference to erectile dysfunction pills.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Neither of them really got much attention where I lived. The radio played them but no one seemed to request them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the song, excited for the new EP. "Less Than" actually gave me a "Fur Lined" - HTDA vibe which is not a bad thing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Not to read too much into it, but the "Welcome oblivion" line has me intrigued.

While this song is clearly Trent kinda speaking out to the fans in a way, this particular part can be seen as Trent talking to himself like, you branched out into other avenues with scores and How To Destroy Angels while leaving NIN kinda on the back burner at times. He knew he had to get away from NIN for a while for more important things in his life, and now it's like asking himself is this (NIN) not quite as good as it used to be. Are you less than?

I know I'm speaking out of my ass. Love this track so fucking much.
    Trent recycles phrases all the time, but I've been zooming in on background details in Twin Peaks for the past two months, so who am I to judge.

I have listened to this song 55 times since it came out according to last.fm. Plus a dozen or so times on youtube. I told everyone to work from home today so that I could play this through the soundbar in the office. *bops*

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I told everyone to work from home today so that I could play this through the soundbar in the office. *bops*
    Now *that's* dedication.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Alreadly got over 40 plays on Google Play on this.

I am really excited for the EP, this single is a great way to make the wait little bit easier, or harder. The more I listen to it the more I like it. A lot of people aren't fan of Trent's vocals here, I am personally.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think it's because the song isn't about a particular political leader, but about the type of people that would vote for them. Those types of people exist everywhere.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I was certainly never offended by him. That just seems silly. But after a while the shtick got old.
    i was offended when he said blatantly racist and misogynistic things, and that's why he got banned; there's a difference between being snarky and bitter in a funny way and actually being an a-hole.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm kinda pissed now that I'm not going to the States this year for a show because I think this song will GO OFF live.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    being snarky and bitter in a funny way
    Did you or did you not just come for me? :P

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Anyone else see the "hidden lyrics" in the Apple Music lyrics tab?

"yes, this is about you"

He did this with "She's Gone Away" too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Guys, a weird thing happened. Yesterday morning, like many of you, I was disappointed to find the new NIN single sounded very reminiscent of Not So Pretty Now. Then, as I listened more, I came to really like Less Than for what it was. Finally, last night, as I was driving home, I decided to put on Not So Pretty Now, and... I kind of don't mind it now.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Shit. LCW Props is only open 8-5 on weekdays. I was totally going to go tonight or tomorrow and have a look around, but it looks like it's not to be.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Anyone else see the "hidden lyrics" in the Apple Music lyrics tab?

"yes, this is about you"

He did this with "She's Gone Away" too.
    Well at least this now answers "I guess you think this song is about you" from Starfuckers

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Well at least this now answers "I guess you think this song is about you" from Starfuckers
    I think Carly Simon already answered that about 45 years ago.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    When I heard that I immediately thought the Great Destroyer...sure it won't be like that, but intrigued nonetheless.
    That's what popped into my mind as well. I doubt he'll use that trick twice, but maybe something in the same vein.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    When I heard that I immediately thought the Great Destroyer...sure it won't be like that, but intrigued nonetheless.
    My thoughts were that it would be almost like a ballad for the first three minutes and then it will loop a section of the outro and degrade, sort of like The Disintegration Tapes. It's a bit of a stretch, to be honest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has already been posted.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...h-nails-video/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Not sure if this has already been posted.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...h-nails-video/
    I think twice already, but definitely worth making sure everyone's seen it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "the last 8 minutes of that is one of the most sonically destructive experiences I think I've ever had in my life"

I hope the song turns out to be something like Trent's cover of "Metal" but heavier and more unpredictable (Not that "Metal" isn't awesome).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hope it's like Tetsuo.

"No statistics available" yet, but the video is #9 on Trending @ YouTube, with close to 500,000 views after a day and a couple of hours. Pretty A-OK for NIN single in 2017, right?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    I hope it's like Tetsuo.

"No statistics available" yet, but the video is #9 on Trending @ YouTube, with close to 500,000 views after a day and a couple of hours. Pretty A-OK for NIN single in 2017, right?
    I'm seeing it as #6 at the moment!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    I hope it's like Tetsuo.

Seeing how it was released without any promotion and only fans really saw it coming, that's really fucking good.

I bet Twin Peaks helepd out, NIN is getting more and more noise now due to just how constantly active it is right now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I think it's because the song isn't about a particular political leader, but about the type of people that would vote for them. Those types of people exist everywhere.
    To me it feels as if the song is about people who constantly ask more of you. People who might offend you but also defend that offense because they expect more from somebody who might give more. Even when shit hits the fan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psyfy16 View Post
    "Less Than" actually gave me a "Fur Lined" - HTDA vibe which is not a bad thing.
    I know what you mean, yesterday when I tried to recall it after only a couple of listens, it was a weird mix of Fur Lined and No Easy Way Out ( ) that kept creeping into my head.