Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Less Than

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    LOVE IT! It's like PHM meets HM. Possibly the best new song from the new EPs, so far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    LOVE IT! It's like PHM meets HM. Possibly the best new song from the new EPs, so far.
    Definitely the most pop'y song thus far and the most immediately likable song. Dear World is my favorite thus far followed pretty close by Idea of You.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Definitely the most pop'y song thus far and the most immediately likable song. Dear World is my favorite thus far followed pretty close by Idea of You.
    Most radio-friendly of the new EPs, definitely. I really liked NTAE too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    And offend and pretend and defend and demand my compliance.

Fucking love that line.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am loving the new song, very old school NIN. I see comments about an interview is there a link? Sorry, don't have time to read through all the pages. Thanks.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Less Than = Not So Pretty Now's optimistic little brother.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not to read too much into it, but the "Welcome oblivion" line has me intrigued.

While this song is clearly Trent kinda speaking out to the fans in a way, this particular part can be seen as Trent talking to himself like, you branched out into other avenues with scores and How To Destroy Angels while leaving NIN kinda on the back burner at times. He knew he had to get away from NIN for a while for more important things in his life, and now it's like asking himself is this (NIN) not quite as good as it used to be. Are you less than?

I know I'm speaking out of my ass. Love this track so fucking much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's funny, I don't hear HM on it at all. Sounds more to me like WT's style with YZ's production.

Either way, I really fucking love it and I just spent $100 on the nin.com store.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    The chick in the video looks way younger.
    man, you're really gunning for the new spot as ETS' resident a-hole, aren't you? how many things have you said today that multiple people have facepalmed? it's clear that you don't understand how to be respectful toward women, so please stop talking about them.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 07-13-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been discussed. Are the three new EPs being released on CD on 9/1?

What exactly is on this? Any conformation?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    This song *really* opens up on a good pair of headphones. And it's stupid catchy.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been discussed. Are the three new EPs being released on CD on 9/1?

What exactly is on this? Any conformation?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    that is JUST NTAE on CD. there will be a separate CD with ADD VIOLENCE on it

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that is JUST NTAE on CD. there will be a separate CD with ADD VIOLENCE on it
    So each EP will have its own CD?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So each EP will have its own CD?
    The only one we have official confirmation of is that ADD VIOLENCE will be released on CD on 9/1. NTAE has not been confirmed, but I don't see why it also wouldn't be released.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My review (or takedown, whatever you want to call it) of Less Than:

My problems are mainly with the lyrics and vocal delivery/structure, so that's what I'll tackle here.

There are two ways to write political songs. One way is to go ambiguously political (like THTF, which if you didn't know was inspired by Bush, you could easily think is about anything). The other way is clearly political (like Survivalism). Less Than is a clearly political song. There are no two ways about it. But if you're going to write a clearly political song, your lyrics have to reflect the complexity and tension of politics. Survivalism does this brilliantly in that it actually tells a story. It paints a picture in the listener's imagination and describes a vivid scene. The vocal structure and delivery are also uncommon and thus carry with them a tension of their own.

The problem with Less Than is that its lyrics are essentially tired cliches (either actual cliches within the real world or cliches because NIN has used them so many times). At the risk of repeating myself, Less Than is a clearly political song with lyrics no more insightful or compelling than the bumper stickers we already see on the morning commute every day. I can't shake the feeling that it was written by someone who felt they had to write a political song (or perhaps legitimately wanted to), but didn't quite know how to do it. Didn't have enough inspiration to do it properly.

In terms of delivery and structure, this is absolutely nothing new. Same thing we've heard a hundred times before (pun intended). I fear Trent is becoming a sort of David Draiman character in that he has a wide vocal range, but insists on singing most of his songs in the exact same register with the same delivery. That leads to homogeneity in the catalog, which is something NIN hasn't really struggled with until The Slip and HM. And hell, even sonically, Less Than feels like a mix of the weakest tracks from these two albums: Satellite, Disappointed (aptly titled), Echoplex, Head Down, and Discipline to a degree.

What we've got here is something that isn't quite dangerous and vital, but feels like it's trying to be, which is worse than not trying for it at all.

It's a missed shot. Passionless and rote. Even if Trent really does believe in what he's saying here, it doesn't seem like he had a lightbulb moment when writing this one. And it's a shame because the instrumental isn't terrible. Nothing special, but it has some potential. It could be a better song were it not for the vocal delivery and lyrics that drag it down to -- dare I say -- almost cringey or pretentious levels. Probably the most forgettable NIN single in retrospect.

Here's hoping the rest of the EP is stronger. I don't need it to be the catchiest thing in the world. I also don't need it to melt my face off when I press 'play'. But I'd like to hear something more imaginative from Trent and co. because this is really just a re-tread of already well-worn territory. And it was done more successfully the first time.
    Last edited by Blade3327; 07-13-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    To each their own. I fucking love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
    My review (or takedown, whatever you want to call it) of Less Than:

My problems are mainly with the lyrics and vocal delivery/structure, so that's what I'll tackle here.

There are two ways to write political songs. One way is to go ambiguously political (like THTF, which if you didn't know was inspired by Bush, you could easily think is about anything). The other way is clearly political (like Survivalism). Less Than is a clearly political song. There are no two ways about it. But if you're going to write a clearly political song, your lyrics have to reflect the complexity and tension of politics. Survivalism does this brilliantly in that it actually tells a story. It paints a picture in the listener's imagination and describes a vivid scene. The vocal structure and delivery are also uncommon and thus carry with them a tension of their own.

The problem with Less Than is that its lyrics are essentially tired cliches (either actual cliches within the real world or cliches because NIN has used them so many times). At the risk of repeating myself, Less Than is a clearly political song with lyrics no more insightful or compelling than the bumper stickers we already see on the morning commute every day. I can't shake the feeling that it was written by someone who felt they had to write a political song (or perhaps legitimately wanted to), but didn't quite know how to do it. Didn't have enough inspiration to do it properly.

In terms of delivery and structure, this is absolutely nothing new. Same thing we've heard a hundred times before (pun intended). I fear Trent is becoming a sort of David Draiman character in that he has a wide vocal range, but insists on singing most of his songs in the exact same register with the same delivery. That leads to homogeneity in the catalog, which is something NIN hasn't really struggled with until The Slip and HM. And hell, even sonically, Less Than feels like a mix of the weakest tracks from these two albums: Satellite, Disappointed (aptly titled), Echoplex, Head Down, and Discipline to a degree.

What we've got here is something that isn't quite dangerous and vital, but feels like it's trying to be, which is worse than not trying for it at all.

It's a missed shot. Passionless and rote. Even if Trent really does believe in what he's saying here, it doesn't seem like he had a lightbulb moment when writing this one. And it's a shame because the instrumental isn't terrible. Nothing special, but it has some potential. It could be a better song were it not for the vocal delivery and lyrics that drag it down to -- dare I say -- almost cringey or pretentious levels. Probably the most forgettable NIN single in retrospect.

Here's hoping the rest of the EP is stronger. I don't need it to be the catchiest thing in the world. I also don't need it to melt my face off when I press 'play'. But I'd like to hear something more imaginative from Trent and co. because this is really just a re-tread of already well-worn territory. And it was done more successfully the first time.
    Nah, it slays.

It's brickwalled to fuck and back though, if the TIDAL "lossless" stream is any indication.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by |mando| View Post
    The only one we have official confirmation of is that ADD VIOLENCE will be released on CD on 9/1. NTAE has not been confirmed, but I don't see why it also wouldn't be released.
    The CD on amazon simply says NTAE, no song titles.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    an 11-minute track sounds very promising.<3
    What's this? There's not REALLY an 11-minute track, is there?! I can't see track times anywhere (aside from Less Than, of course).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    What's this? There's not REALLY an 11-minute track, is there?! I can't see track times anywhere (aside from Less Than, of course).
    From the Zane Lowe interview.
    Listen to the full interview here: https://app.box.com/s/70sgfr6fd2l5ehr4gfcbais51uxmikp7

Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Used your link and chrome://net-internals/#events to get the m4a.

Here's a direct dl mirror https://app.box.com/s/70sgfr6fd2l5ehr4gfcbais51uxmikp7
    Last edited by Pyract; 07-13-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added interview link

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    the weakest tracks from these two albums: Satellite, Disappointed (aptly titled), Echoplex, Head Down, and Discipline to a degree.
    Screaming at this list of flawless tracks being called weak (except for Echoplex).

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

"the last 8 minutes of that is one of the most sonically destructive experiences I think I've ever had in my life"

11:44 according to the interview. I am so ready to hear it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Disappointed and Satellite flawless?

Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    "the last 8 minutes of that is one of the most sonically destructive experiences I think I've ever had in my life"

11:44 according to the interview. I am so ready to hear it.
    I'm ready to be underwhelmed. It sounds promising in theory, but could be another Corona Radiata. Cool song, but far from an epic. My prediction is that Trent will just be killing time within that track. Hope I'm wrong though.

Again, LOVED Not The Actual Events. And I'm usually pretty positive regarding NIN. But we've been getting songs like this for at least three albums now and I can't not notice.

And I never thought I'd hear "look what you gone done" in a NIN song. "Look what you've gone and done" is slightly more palatable, but c'mon now. That's just lazy writing.
    Last edited by Blade3327; 07-13-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Disappointed and Satellite flawless?

I'm ready to be underwhelmed. It sounds promising in theory, but could be another Corona Radiata. Cool song, but far from an epic.
    you are such a fucking buzzkill, dude.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Satellite is my fave track on HM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    you are such a fucking buzzkill, dude.
    Did I mention I adore Everything?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Did I mention I adore Everything?
    uh, so do i. your point? you're still very negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Logged in to proclaim Less Than's strong likeness to Not So Pretty Now and come to find that's already been covered... repeatedly. I feel like this was everything Not So Pretty Now wanted to be.

Smart song – it's got Trent angst, teeth, nice layers, and sounds great with headphones. I too disagree with Post #195 – it's lyrically stronger than many highly-regarded NIN songs. And Trent's vocal range isn't very wide these days. He may need backup to hit the highest G in the chorus but this one should play well live. This one will be on repeat for a few days. Well done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    uh, so do i. your point? you're still very negative.
    My bad. Will refrain from critique in future. Good song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is awesome.

As much as I love NTAE ... I was hoping the other EPs would be different somehow, and I think that's what we're gonna get, each one will be it's completely own sound.

The first thought I had was the lyrical content really reminds me of something from Year Zero, soft of anyways.

Good times indeed...

Ordered the Physical Component and one of the T-shirts. Will get the vinyl when it drops.

I try not to read too much into everything, for me it's more about how I feel when listening to it, this has got a great energy and I'm excited to hear the rest.
    Last edited by Sandy Phimester; 07-13-2017 at 10:24 PM.