Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1367

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    @Presideo reminded me how i fucking love Paul Banks' vocals, both in Interpol and Julian Plenti. I have absolutely no reason to demand even slightly comparable performance from Mariqueen but if it came just a millimeter close, i'd be so happy. damn you for drawing these parallels, which i now cannot forget!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    As for the video, I too was waiting for something to happen.

Ice Age is not my favourite on the album as I feel the song is about 2 minutes too long. I understand the build up and the development of that 'icy' momentum, however is does wane on me near the end (that's just me though).

The video helps me get by this by providing me with something more visually interesting in the last 1/3 of the song. I love the shot out the window of the waves crashing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.

I can relate to the video. I get it, in my own little world. That's all I will say about this very different and interesting video. P.S. - Is it supposed to be depressing? I feel as though it could open up some locked up and dark rooms in my head.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I was recently vacationing in Cuba with the lady - while floating in the ocean I started talking about the references HTDA makes to the ocean, sun, tide etc... she then asked if they mention how the sunblock and salt water burns the eyes.
    LOL AHHH that shit got me nicely. Don't mind me, I was just caught off guard from this and now I'm crying.

The video is interesting... And I really don't like watching it. In that way it fits very well because I don't wanna hear the song again.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I didn't quite get, what you meant by "jump on critisism". Is it that too many people are to quickly judging art based on their preconceived notions without trying to understand the artists' point of view? Or that too many fans are jumping on someones criticism of a work they love (like when TDKR came out)? I'm not an English native, so forgive me if I didn't catch that right away.
    The second interpretation is what I meant. People sometimes call someone a "hater" just because they don't share the same view or tastes as that person. Which is ridiculous, considering we all can't like everything. For example, I doubt I will ever listen to Ghosts front to back again. While interesting the first time through, and some memorable stand-out tracks; the entire package just doesn't have the staying power some other NIN releases do. Does that make me a "hater"? I don't think so; but no doubt if I said that after the release of Ghosts, I would be called a "hater" for not fawning over the entire album.

"Haters" generally are those that present criticism on the backs of illogical and uninformed arguments.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A bit more info on ALL the band wouldn't go amiss - like the Facebook Q&A they all did back when the first EP was released which was fun. Referring to the arguments above, when the interviews are all just Trent Trent Trent it's a bit hard not to see it as HIS project. Is it that the press / blogs whatever just won't allow anyone else in ?? Or is something planned for the future, I guess it's early stages

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Bonus picture of Rob Sheridan playing it

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone said this already, but this is what Sheridan was playing in the Ice Age video: PPG Realizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php

In 1986, Wolfgang Palm designed and began work on a prototype for his most ambitious project yet - the Realizer, an all-in-one studio machine which combined production, recording, sequencing, and mixing tools into one machine in addition to a sophisticated sampling and synthesis system. It also had the ability to load emulations of other popular synthesizers, such as aMinimoog. The system proved to be too far ahead of its time, and was so expensive to create that its projected retail price was almost US$60,000 (GB£34,000). As such, it was never sold, or even got beyond the prototype phase. There are rumored to be two prototype versions in existence, each with slightly different front panel controls. As interest in Palm's other products waned, the cost of developing the Realizer was high enough to put PPG into serious debt. As such, PPG officially ceased business operations and closed its doors in 1987 after shelving the Realizer project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm finding this EP a lot less stimulating than the first as time goes on.
    Some good sounds, and at least it's (somewhat) different.

Maybe I'll warm up to it, but it's going on the honorable mentions list this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OFFTOP:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I hope we'll get an interview with director or something about the video again, like we did for TSIB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where are you from, atticus?..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my voice just View Post

where are you from, atticus?..
    The 6 video theory might be onto something I guess - we have 2 videos and a still from one that we don't have, nor does it fit either of the others to have been an outtake...

Come on, An Omen EP Movie to be released in FutureTorrent in 12 years!
    Last edited by sheepdean; 11-29-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think the photo of Atticus might actually from Ice Age, before it was heavily edited in post-production. Take a look at the video just past 5:45. There's a sequence of Atticus that looks like it could be from the same scene as the above photo -- just made nearly unrecognizable because of the special effects. (The photo also has walls and a beamed ceiling that look like the cabin.)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I think the photo of Atticus might actually from Ice Age, before it was heavily edited in post-production. Take a look at the video just past 5:45. There's a sequence of Atticus that looks like it could be from the same scene as the above photo -- just made nearly unrecognizable because of the special effects. (The photo also has walls and a beamed ceiling that look like the cabin.)
    shhh stop being so logical!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's hoping it takes the direction of Broken EP and make a collection of videos out of these tracks.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I see what you mean, but the angle of the camera and a few other things seem wrong. Maybe I'm being hopeful :P

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, teh video for Ice Age is about separation from your past and from people you care about, yeah?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So, teh video for Ice Age is about separation from your past and from people you care about, yeah?
    I see that too, maybe with a dash of how current times are in bad condition? Why let go of good memories?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^
    taken literally, a new ice age would be a disaster for humanity, maybe the LP is some dystopian future environmental thing

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^
    taken literally, a new ice age would be a disaster for humanity, maybe the LP is some dystopian future environmental thing
    Taken literally, we are living in an ice age right now. When Panama slips back into the ocean, things are going to get extremely fucking dystopian for anything that survives our greedy little bout of extinctioning.
    ...But yes, in the shorter term, another glacial period would be rather unpleasant. "Glacial Period" could have had some eyebrow-raising interpretations as a song title, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope they bring out a CD for the album, whilst I'm liking the whole vinyl approach for EPs, it would be nice to get he album in a more portable format which I can play at my desk. I know they have released FLAC versions, but I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R37R0 View Post
    I hope they bring out a CD for the album, whilst I'm liking the whole vinyl approach for EPs, it would be nice to get he album in a more portable format which I can play at my desk. I know they have released FLAC versions, but I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer
    The only reason we didn't get a CD for this release is because CDs are more expensive to print and profit margins would go down as a result. Plus this is basically a promo release with a Sigil number, a CD would be completely pointless.

Honestly I wouldn't even care if there wasn't a CD for the full-length, so long as a vinyl was pressed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    The only reason we didn't get a CD for this release is because CDs are more expensive to print and profit margins would go down as a result. Plus this is basically a promo release with a Sigil number, a CD would be completely pointless.
    A promo is something released in limited numbers, generally used for promotional purposes. This is a regular commercial release of an EP.

I would actually speculate that there was no CD because TR hates releasing CDs in cheap jewel cases -- I seem to remember him fighting with Interscope for digipacks. Perhaps he couldn't win that fight with Columbia, or he thought it was better to spend more of his budget on videos instead of ponying up for digipacks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R37R0 View Post
    I prefer pressed CDs over CDR as they tend to last longer
    A well looked after cd-r can last a long time too. Just saying.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    A well looked after cd-r can last a long time too. Just saying.
    Actually, it depends on the material the CD-R is made from. You can keep it in as good condition as you want it, but certain makes of CDR deteriorate after about a decade, no matter what you do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Actually, it depends on the material the CD-R is made from. You can keep it in as good condition as you want it, but certain makes of CDR deteriorate after about a decade, no matter what you do.
    Indeed, it was clumsy of me to overlook that.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Edit: moved to the "loathsome" thread
    Last edited by jessamineny; 11-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I want a CD for the full length, not for me but for the HUGE number of people I've seen who do want it. Put it in a fucking card sleeve if you wanna save on costs, but it needs to be printed.

Although, everything should also be on BD in 5.1