Page 2 of 195 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I have a couple turntables that I originally got for DJing and scratching. As such, most of my vinyl up until recently has been a few house techno and dance singles and a handful of actual albums (Gorillaz, Chemical Brothers, the Beatles Parlophone records, etc). I've now started trying to get vinyl versions of anything TR-related. I have a good bit of the new things and am working my way back.

Today I picked up the Back to Black edition of TDS.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    The B2B copy of TDS is pretty good, but I think the original 1994 UK pressing has a richer sound. See if you can track down a good copy of that on ebay and pick it up

I almost forgot, I managed to pick up "Nevermind" the other day and its a Korean Pressing
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 06-27-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    anyone an Automator fan?
    I have not opened this yet, will do that when back home - and after letting them chill for a while. Pretty excited that I found one of these.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Haven't got anything as yet*, but I'm thinking I'll have to start my collection in style when this comes out:

(*waiting on the new A Place to Bury Strangers bundle in the mail, so I've got 2 so far if that counts)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    anyone an Automator fan? I have not opened this yet, will do that when back home - and after letting them chill for a while. Pretty excited that I found one of these.
    whoa, where did you get this?Also, did anyone else pick up the new Mars Volta release? It looks pretty badass and comes with all sorts of goodness in the packaging....http://www.themarsvolta.com/news/noc...inyl-pre-order
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 06-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I have a copy of Conor Oberst - The Gentlemans Pact EP if anyone is interested.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Loads of old bowie in a junk shop window, half an hour till opening time... Hnnnnnnnnnn

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Picked up this gem today for a friend of mine, vinyl looked MINT

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Haven't got anything as yet*, but I'm thinking I'll have to start my collection in style when this comes out:

(*waiting on the new A Place to Bury Strangers bundle in the mail, so I've got 2 so far if that counts)

yeah, i already have the original vinyls of these, but this is so beautiful, i'm going to get it as well. they did a GREAT job with the wake boxset, too.

just got these in the mail:

pretty stoked.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Got Beck's Blue Series single in today from Third Man Records.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just scored Nick Cave's The Boatman's Call!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I don't understand why people frame their vinyl. I love artwork too, but I'd rather get a poster or something. You can't listen to it if it's behind glass.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I don't understand why people frame their vinyl. I love artwork too, but I'd rather get a poster or something. You can't listen to it if it's behind glass.

Ive never met anyonw who put the actual vinyl in the frame, just the artwork. i have 8 lps framed currently. i put the vinyl in white die cut sleeves

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Really? You've never seen stuff like this:

Even framing the artwork is weird to me. I once saw someone who actually cut up the case so they could frame both the front and the back. People were like "oh that looks really nice" and I was like "Dude!!! You've destroyed that fucking album forever!!! What the fuck is wrong with you!!?!?!"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Even framing the artwork is weird to me.
    In my case, it's very hard, if not impossible, to find posters or whatever that I actually like. Nearly all promo posters are plastered with text. I mostly frame Saville covers which IMHO are artworks in their own right. Also, the record is the object to which I have a resonance: the sleeve is part of that so framing it is celebrating it. Framing a copy or something else which didn't mean anything to me seems weird.

I once saw someone who actually cut up the case so they could frame both the front and the back. People were like "oh that looks really nice" and I was like "Dude!!! You've destroyed that fucking album forever!!! What the fuck is wrong with you!!?!?!"
    That does seem odd. I can't think of any back covers worth framing, off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Picked up Fleetwood Mac's Rumours from the post today. It looks great!
    Last edited by REPLICA; 07-12-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling....

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nk-bitter-moon

i pledged $45 for the $30 SE vinyl & the $15 CD combo. super excited, since Murder By Death are my favourite band. i own all of their stuff on CD & at least one vinyl format.

i'm short on money, these days, so i'm debating about pre-ordering the new Circa Survive record, as well as the new Dead Can Dance.

i did, however, just recently acquire WIXIW & Sisterworld (deluxe edition, with the remix LP included) by Liars, both of which came with CDs, as well. the new album is really the best thing they've ever done.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Dead Can Dance have a new album coming out? Where was I when this news dropped?

I just added this to my collection today. Now I'm all set as far as White Zombie goes

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Metric "Help I'm Alive" RSD 2009 Picture Disc in original sleeve

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i just bought this:
    http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

the kab ev-1 record cleaner. a buck fifty ($150 or so). hooks up to your own personal vacuum and requires manual turning of the record, which are the only differences between this and those five hundred and up models. cleaned a bunch of crackly vinyl, 90% of which sounded near mint after giving it a go. doesn't fix scratches, but any dust-related issues are more or less resolved. best investment i ever made... already paid for itself.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Im through being cool...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Im through being cool...

I saw that in the used bin and almost went for it.

So, first free moment in Austin and I go to a record store. Among other things, scored a used 12" HLAH for $4! I consider that a success.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Im through being cool...

I love DEVO, and I have this vinyl, but really, it's not their best

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    I saw that in the used bin and almost went for it.

So, first free moment in Austin and I go to a record store. Among other things, scored a used 12" HLAH for $4! I consider that a success.
    You should go for it, i bought this one used but this is the Mexican version, very rare since it has all the song titles translated on the back (much like this baby!)
    I buy both used and new but i found this baby in a cool vinyl shop near my workplace, soon i'll post more pictures of my collection, i have so many it's difficult for me to put them in one place at once!, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I love DEVO, and I have this vinyl, but really, it's not their best
    I agree it's not Devo's best (i like "Freedom of Choice" and "Q: Are We Not Men?" a lot more) but to me any Devo record (specially on Vinyl) is gold
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 07-18-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I started collecting about two and a half years ago.

Bauhaus - Mask
    Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
    David Bowie - Low
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    David Bowie - David Live
    Marilyn Manson - Born Villain
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    The Cure - Disintegration
    Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain
    Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
    The Doors - The Doors
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
    The Stooges - Fun House
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
    Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love
    Burzum - Filosofem
    Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxter's
    of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    The Clash - London Calling
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    Last edited by sayyosin; 07-19-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: forgot some

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    You should go for it, i bought this one used but this is the Mexican version, very rare since it has all the song titles translated on the back (much like this baby!)
    I buy both used and new but i found this baby in a cool vinyl shop near my workplace, soon i'll post more pictures of my collection, i have so many it's difficult for me to put them in one place at once!, lol
    So I went to another store, and they had a used promotional copy, so I got it. I didn't expect the bonus single to still be inside, and it wasn't, but the sleeve was.. thanks for taunting me.

Also, almost went for a used Portuguese import of Joy Division's Still, but decided it just wasn't worth $25, especially considering how much I've already dropped on vinyl these last few days.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    So I went to another store, and they had a used promotional copy, so I got it. I didn't expect the bonus single to still be inside, and it wasn't, but the sleeve was.. thanks for taunting me.

Also, almost went for a used Portuguese import of Joy Division's Still, but decided it just wasn't worth $25, especially considering how much I've already dropped on vinyl these last few days.
    so wait, what did you find that was a promo copy? got any pix?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    so wait, what did you find that was a promo copy? got any pix?
    Devo's New Traditionalists. It has a somewhat faded stamp on the sleeve indicating it's a promo copy and sale is prohibited. I'll grab a picture later.

The store had a few promos like that that I saw. I'm wondering if they got a bunch from a radio station at some point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, where in Austin did you score that? (The HLAH disc)