Page 1 of 192 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I'm a huge vinyl collector; been one for about 12 years now. I collect all sorts of random records from colored vinyl to splatter wax, and even shaped discs. Who else here collects vinyl records? Lets use this thread to show off what we've got, what our most prized record is, and share with one another the stories behind how we got into vinyl collecting. (some of you might have stuff that others dont and were not even aware that it was out there, so post pictures!) For me, it started back in 1999 when The Fragile came out. It was the first vinyl I ever bought and I got it from Hot Topic for $24.99 (they later would go on clearance for $9.99 a few months later). My dad had given me his turntable stack and a bunch of old beatles records a few years before this so I was well versed in how to handle records and what not and I fell in love with the physical element of vinyl. They seemed so foreign to me and it gave me something to talk about with my dad (which up until this point we really didnt have much in common). My collecting took a small break from 2003-2008 when albums weren't really getting pressed (or it was just insanely hard to find'em) but ever since then I've been collecting like a mad man. What about the record of you? (I'll post photos of some of my favorite pieces later on tonight)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Radiohead- OK Computer till King of Limbs
    My Morning Jacket- Z, Evil Urges, Circuital, and It Still Moves
    Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks
    Nick Drake- Pink Moon
    Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics
    Black Keys- Brothers and El Camino
    Pavement- Slanted and Enchanted, Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee
    Replacements- Let It Be
    Beatles- Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour
    Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Exile on Main St.
    Ryan Adams- Cardinology, Cold Roses, Heartbreaker
    Pete Yorn- Back and Forth (signed and given to me from Pete himself) and Musicforthemorningafter
    Secret Machines- Ten Silver Drops
    Sparta- Wiretap Scars, Threes, and Porcelain
    Spiritualized- Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
    Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Transference, Girls Can Tell, Gimme Fiction
    St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
    Titus Andronicus- The Monitor
    TV on the Radio- Dear Science and Return to Cookie Mountain
    Vampire Weekend- s/t and Contra
    Ween- La Cucaracha
    White Stripes- Icky Thump, Elephant, White Blood Cells
    Dead Weather- Horehound and Sea of Cowards
    Raconteurs- Consolers of the Lonely and Broken Boy Soldiers
    Queens of the Stone Age- Lullabies to Paralyze
    Wilco- All of them except A.M.
    Air- The Virgin Suicides and Pocket Symphony
    Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
    Arcade Fire- Neon Bible
    Band of Horses- Infinite Arms
    Beach House- Bloom and Teen Dream
    Beck- Guero, Modern Guilt, and The Information
    Best Coast- Crazy for You
    Black Lips- Arabia Mountain and
    BRMC- Baby 81 and Howl
    Bright Eyes- Fevers and Mirrors, Cassadaga, and The People's Key
    Broken Bells- s/t
    Built to Spill- Perfect From Now On
    Cat Power- You Are Free and The Greatest

There's tons more in my garage I'll post them later.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    http://www.discogs.com/collection?us...t=artist%2Casc

the long and the short of it- here's (most of) what i own on vinyl. 90% of it is rare coldwave/new wave/post-punk/synth records.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    How did you guys get into collecting?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm not sure what the catalyst was... originally, i had a pretty epic cd collection (which i sold almost everything to fund the purchase of a juno 60) and a respectable vinyl collection. the original collection, consisting of "newer" artists at the time and some decent stuff from my college radio station (nicked before we wound up selling everything for peanuts anyway) was destroyed by my stepfather, who had the genius idea of placing a wet picnic table on top of my crates during the five months i stored them between moves. fortunately, the valuable stuff from that collection (the fragile and the original pressing of amnesiac being the cream of that crop) was on lend to a friend, so some things survived.

i was hesitant to rebuild for some time, but really took the plunge again in 2005 or so, when i really got interested in rare french post-punk music. i replaced all the stuff i missed the first time around (bowie, iggy, kate bush, etc.) and have since vastly improved on the original collection. i actually am almost out of room in the ikea storage unit i have, and i doubt the missus would let me buy another, so it's time to start purging some of the less-important stuff... probably don't need every single freestyle/new beat 12'' ever.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I just always thought collecting was the cool thing to do. About four years ago I started going to the record store across my college that sells vinyl, so they usually had a lot of the albums I wanted (plus the fact that most come with a download code or a CD version packaged). So I started buying all my music if they had it in vinyl and even went back and purchased some stuff I didn't even have. I think the first album I bought on vinyl was Dig Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave because they didn't have the CD of it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've been collectings vinyl for about 13 years and CDs for almost 20 (YIKES!!!) I also (shamefully) collect cassettes. I have about 1500 CDs with all sorts of genres...As for vinyl I have most of the releases (albums and singles) for NIN, Depeche Mode, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Alan Parson project, as well as about 100 or so mixed stuff like Madonna, Genesis, Devo, Walter Carlos, Def Leppard, Controlled Bleeding, Tangerine Dream and others.

I've always collected things as far back as I remember. If I like something enough, it's cool to have the entire set rather than a few odd releases. Its way more gratifying to have physical copies of books, video games, movies and music, neatly displayed somewhere and easy to access. I've mostly gone digital (google music...check it out!) but nothing beats having a physical copy of something. Having album art, liner notes and something pretty to look at it (that's larger than a stupid digital 1" thumbnail) is awesome!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I started buying vinyl about 6 years ago. My collection isn't that huge...probably like 200?? Most of it is ambient/drone, experimental, folk/singer-songwriters, shoegaze and the occasional metal and indie rock.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I think my favorite "colored" vinyl is splatter A friend of mine picked this up for me about two months ago and I've got another one for "Stripped" that is blue/teal/white splatter. It looks awesome when its spinning on the deck

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Vinyl! Yes! Yeah I started collecting about 5 years ago, I think? I've been wanting to sit down and catalogue them all for a while, so maybe this thread will be a good push for me. I've got a few hundred to go through.

Some of my most prized items in my collection, though, include:

- The Inception score, on clear 180 gram, limited to only 1000 pressings worldwide.
    - Mute Math's first album. Same as Inception, limited to 1000 worldwide and was self released. Not very special to most but I love bragging that I own this.
    - Sigur Ros' Hvarf/Heim on clear 180 gram, limited to 1250 and mislabeled.
    - The Flaming Lips' Heady Nuggs box-set, limited to 1000, colored version from website (pink, white, orange, blue, green, and red)
    - Sigur Ros' In A Frozen Sea boxset, with Agaetis Byrjun, ( ), Takk.., and Vaka EP
    - NIN's The Fragile
    - NIN's Broken, original pressing with the 7"
    - And of course, the Dragon Tattoo set.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have mixed feelings about colored vinyl. as cool as it looks, it's harder to keep in good shape. it generally gets damaged easier...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i started buying CDs when i was 10, and vinyl when i was 13 or 14. i don't think it was the first thing i bought on vinyl, but the fragile was definitely one of the earlier records i bought. i still have it in amazing condition, since i've only played it a handful of times.

there are certain things i insist on only buying on vinyl (blonde redhead, sleater-kinney, pedro the lion), other things i buy on CD and vinyl (i have most of the NIN halos on vinyl but all of them on CD, several mogwai albums, everything but pablo honey by radiohead, every murder by death album and various other things). i have all 11 of the analord series by aphex twin/afx, that i bought in one weekend in boston. i also just got some (but not all) of the remastered throbbing gristle albums on vinyl, and the tomahawk eponymous to anonymous box set from record store day.

i have a serious weakness for box sets, in general (i have the giant pixies minotaur box, the ape of naples by coil on vinyl, TG24 and TG+ by throbbing gristle, the björk live box and surrounded box sets, and a whole slew of other stuff) and special edition items, so i've always been pretty into collecting.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have a serious weakness for box sets, in general (i have the giant pixies minotaur box, the ape of naples by coil on vinyl, TG24 and TG+ by throbbing gristle, the björk live box and surrounded box sets, and a whole slew of other stuff) and special edition items, so i've always been pretty into collecting.
    I really wish I could afford box sets. The Ape Of Naples\New Backwards would be one of the first I would get. I really wish Coil's vinyl weren't so damn expensive. I'd also love to have the Ghosts and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sets eventually too. Damn bills!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I'd also love to have the Ghosts and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sets eventually too. Damn bills!
    oh...yeah...i have those, as well. and i have ghosts on the standard vinyl. i'm insane.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Collectors

/grammarian

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't have that much in my vinyl collection right now, it's mainly Gary Numan. I'm looking to buy more albums soon.

Some of my best:

Gary Numan - America single (signed)
    Gary Numan - Exile (Limited Ed. #17 of 100 on Turquoise)
    Gary Numan - Pure (Limited Ed. #83 of 100 on Purple & #239 of 300 for the 7" single)
    Gary Numan - Are 'Friends' Electric (signed)
    Gary Numan - Hammersmith '84 (#148 of 200 white labels & signed by Andrew WK)
    Andrew WK - Close Calls With Brick Walls (signed)
    Queen - A Day At The Races

EDIT: The New Regime - Coup Deluxe Edition (Signed by Ilan #126 of 1000 + drumsticks)
    Last edited by REPLICA; 06-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Alkaline Trio - Help Me 7"
    Bent Left - Faberge
    Big Black - Heartbeat 7"
    Brand New - Daisy
    Brian Eno - Discreet Music
    Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
    Deafheaven - Roads To Judah
    Deafheaven - Sunbather
    Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
    Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
    The Doors - Greatest Hits
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Joan Jett - Bad Reputation
    How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
    Mogwai - Earth Division EP
    Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore
    My Bloody Valentine - MBV
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    NOFX - They've Actually Gotten Worse Live!
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Primus - Frizzle Fry
    Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
    Primus - Green Naugahyde
    The Rackatees/The Shidiots - 7" Split
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong
    The Sidekicks - Awkward Breeds
    The Sidekicks - Grace 7"
    Those Crosstown Rivals - Kentucky Gentleman
    Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods
    Tool - Opiate
    Tool - Lateralus

hopefully my collection will continue to expand... it started with a few hand-me-downs from the parents.
    Last edited by Soma; 04-14-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    let me guess: rumours was your purchase and NOFX was from your dad, right?
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-05-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: obviously foolin', rumours is awesome.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm going to go to a record store in Asheville (NC) when I get paid next week, try to score some cheap vinyl for my collection.

EDIT: going to look for some Moby, Beck and Bowie
    Last edited by REPLICA; 06-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    just added this one to my collection 500 are pressed on clear wax and 500 on gray/white marble. You can find these on eBay for $40 and I highly recommend picking it up

Astro Creep will be coming out later this month too it'll go great next to my blood splattered copy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

looks like the nin stuff is out of order in this pic

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    this photo is a few months old, and this thing is nearly full now, but here's an idea of how we're rolling over here:

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

At long last, she is mine!

Bought for roughly half of what I usually see this go for in sealed condition on the collector's market from a guy in Europe, who later admitted he lowballed himself on the sale price because he didn't research what it sells for in brand new condition these days. This thing is sealed and absolutely pristine.

I am seriously conflicted right now as to whether I should open this. One part of me loves this soundtrack immensely and knows I would never part with this unless a family member's life depended on my doing so, and that I always buy to play and enjoy.

But the other part of me knows how rare this LP is, and how a vinyl repress is likely not happening anytime soon. Do I hold out for what could potentially be months and wait for a reasonably-priced used copy to hit the online market at some point, and keep this gem shrinked? That's still going to fetch significantly, even in overall VG+ condition..

Gaaaah

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

At long last, she is mine!

Bought for roughly half of what I usually see this go for in sealed condition on the collector's market from a guy in Europe, who later admitted he lowballed himself on the sale price because he didn't research what it sells for in brand new condition these days. This thing is sealed and absolutely pristine.

I am seriously conflicted right now as to whether I should open this. One part of me loves this soundtrack immensely and knows I would never part with this unless a family member's life depended on my doing so, and that I always buy to play and enjoy.

But the other part of me knows how rare this LP is, and how a vinyl repress is likely not happening anytime soon. Do I hold out for what could potentially be months and wait for a reasonably-priced used copy to hit the online market at some point, and keep this gem shrinked? That's still going to fetch significantly, even in overall VG+ condition..

Gaaaah
    The Gentle Hum Of Anxiety

(couldn't resist)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide Like, like LIKE! With the exception of Panzerfaust, I own all of them myself. That album cover for Transilvanian Hunger is endlessly fascinating, lol. And I was just spinning the Silent Hill OST the other night, aamof..

Still hunting for a copy of In the Nightside Eclipse, I'm guessing?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    @Space Suicide Like, like LIKE! With the exception of Panzerfaust, I own all of them myself. That album cover for Transilvanian Hunger is endlessly fascinating, lol. And I was just spinning the Silent Hill OST the other night, aamof..

Still hunting for a copy of In the Nightside Eclipse, I'm guessing?
    Yeah!

I am sadly. I nearly won a eBay auction for the 2017 blue pressing from Candlelight last week for 38.00 but some asshole over outbid me in last 10 seconds so I’m still back on the hunt. It sucks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Nice! My pic is from around new year. It looks much the same now, except the remainder of my 7"s have filled out above the amp (luckily they just fit in both dimensions!); the Numark pt01 isn't filed away and the space it occupied has been replaced with 12"s. I'm just about at capacity. I don't anticipate buying a whole lot more in the near future. Maybe after I move house...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i can't imagine the missus would be ok with ANOTHER one of these in the house, so when it's full, it's probably time to start pairing down the less necessary stuff. i fear this more than i fear getting old.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Thumbs up

My Collection

a few interesting things:

NIN - Still CD (Signed by TR)
    Sonoio - Scientist 7" (Signed by AC - #23/350)
    Modwheelmood - Pearls to Pigs Vol I-III 2x12 (Signed by AC & PH - #172/500)
    Fever Ray - Mercy Street 7" (#97/1000)
    The Knife - Gender Bender EP (#1133/2000)
    The Knife - Pass This On 7" (70/2000)
    Last edited by hologram parade; 06-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    this photo is a few months old, and this thing is nearly full now, but here's an idea of how we're rolling over here:

I hope that once I get into my new place I can organize my collection like this