Page 75 of 180 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 175 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 5385

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

  1. #2221
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,957
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    It's my birthday today. I didn't receive any vinyl gifts <snip>
    Have your family and friends met you?

    Happy birthday!

  2. #2222
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    my band played a show at a tiny record store on friday, and i picked up Blue Bell Knoll by Cocteau Twins for only $18!

  3. #2223
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,804
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    a friend of mine in missoula found suicide's second album, first pressing, for three goddamn dollars. fuuuck.

  4. #2224
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Just got back from a trip to Tokyo and HOLY SHIT, Japan is a vinyl collector's paradise!!! I picked up the following for roughly $4-6 a piece with the exception of Madonna, she was $15 and sits nicely in her original plastic wrap!












  5. #2225
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Tokyo and HOLY SHIT, Japan is a vinyl collector's paradise!!! I picked up the following for roughly $4-6 a piece with the exception of Madonna, she was $15 and sits nicely in her original plastic wrap!
    Proper jealous. A friend of mine has moved to Tokyo to run a nightclub / club night / various music endeavours (asq.me is one of them). I should give him a shopping list

    Although beware the temptation of collecting JPN releases with OBIs now, it's a dark, black, deep hole...

  6. #2226
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The new Dillinger Escape Plan reissues came in the mail today. That was a nice surprise, as I wasn't expecting them for a few more weeks!






  7. #2227
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Do they play ok? Especially the spatter one?

  8. #2228
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The new Dillinger Escape Plan reissues came in the mail today. That was a nice surprise, as I wasn't expecting them for a few more weeks!
    AWESOME! i'm wondering when mine will arrive.

    and, yes, to echo @jmtd , do they sound good?

  9. #2229
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The new Dillinger Escape Plan reissues came in the mail today. That was a nice surprise, as I wasn't expecting them for a few more weeks!





    Fucking hell, that's pushed me over the edge. I'd seen they were releasing these and managed to hold off. Having seen these I've now ordered all three albums (different variant to yours on Miss Machine). Dammit. I'm meant to be not buying more vinyl.

  10. #2230
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Do they play ok? Especially the spatter one?
    I've only had a chance to listen to Calculating Infinity so far. It sounded great.

  11. #2231
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,409
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Got my DEP vinyl reissues in the mail today too! And yes, they sound GREAT!

  12. #2232
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks appreciate it. Will have a look. Cheers.


    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @Twiggy i checked out the selections on turntable lab for you. you might be able to get better deals on some of them from amazon, but i have had experiences with most of these manufacturers and would recommend any of them.

    cheap
    1

    moderately priced
    1
    2 (also available in black)

    expensive
    1
    2 (bonus of digital connectivity)
    3

  13. #2233
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I've only had a chance to listen to Calculating Infinity so far. It sounded great.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Got my DEP vinyl reissues in the mail today too! And yes, they sound GREAT!
    did you guys order from relapse, shop radio cast, or somewhere else?

  14. #2234
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    did you guys order from relapse, shop radio cast, or somewhere else?
    I ordered from Relapse.

  15. #2235
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    one of the things i love about ordering vinyl from amazon (had some spare rewards points) is that when you think you're just gonna get the standard black vinyl, they surprise you with a limited run variant for nothing extra!



    Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend 2xLP on "beer yellow"
    also, the album is fucking AMAZING.

    and a new acquisition from discogs:



    Daughters - The First Supper b/w Boner X-Ray (Original Version) 7"
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 11-06-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot a record

  16. #2236
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)


    Completed my Ben Frost vinyl collection, with the exception of a couple 7"s

  17. #2237
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    That Calculating Infinity press looks incredible. If I liked Dillinger whatsoever I would be right on it!

  18. #2238
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    so...it sounds like my stylus is worn out. and i can't seem to figure out where to get a viable replacement. i have the Audio Note IQ-1 cartridge (i thought i had the IQ-2, but i was mistaken) and the instructions and their website talk about how easy it is to replace the stylus, but give no indication as to where to FIND a replacement. so fucking frustrating.

    in more positive news, i got #104 of "The End Where We Start" single by The Black Queen.

  19. #2239
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    so...it sounds like my stylus is worn out. and i can't seem to figure out where to get a viable replacement. i have the Audio Note IQ-1 cartridge (i thought i had the IQ-2, but i was mistaken) and the instructions and their website talk about how easy it is to replace the stylus, but give no indication as to where to FIND a replacement. so fucking frustrating.

    in more positive news, i got #104 of "The End Where We Start" single by The Black Queen.
    You need the ZU080R stylus if that helps, and a quick google tells me this is a fairly premium part - only found one site that seems to sell it (Netherlands based) doesn't work very well, and isn't in English http://www.simplyaudio.nl/annl/enter...4.html&lang=nl

    Good luck, but you might be better off replacing the cartridge if these prices are accurate http://audio-life.nl/sites/default/f...prijslijst.pdf

  20. #2240
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Got back from holiday and I had to get a few records whilst I was there

    Haul:
    Fetal Pig - Autopia (numbered 242/300)
    Niklos Andriano - Theme From The Longest Day
    Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida
    My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
    Thelonious Monk - Paris 1969
    The Zombies - R.I.P. (RSD release that was US only, very happy to have snagged an unopened one)
    The Twin String Orchestras ‎– Playing George Gerswhin



    and a couple not on discogs until I add them later:
    The Des Moines 4 Track Collection Vol. One (numbered 104/500), compilation of Punk bands from the Des Moines area.
    West Des Moines Dixieland Band - The Happy Sounds
    Last edited by sheepdean; 11-08-2015 at 10:00 PM.

  21. #2241
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    You need the ZU080R stylus if that helps, and a quick google tells me this is a fairly premium part - only found one site that seems to sell it (Netherlands based) doesn't work very well, and isn't in English http://www.simplyaudio.nl/annl/enter...4.html&lang=nl

    Good luck, but you might be better off replacing the cartridge if these prices are accurate http://audio-life.nl/sites/default/f...prijslijst.pdf
    eegads! that is fucking expensive.

    i have an old AudioTechnica cartridge (not sure of the model number at the moment) that i might be better off replacing the stylus on (it got bent by my ex who thought it was a good idea to vacuum my turntable the one time she actually bothered to help me clean my old apartment). so maybe i should look into that...

  22. #2242
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    eegads! that is fucking expensive.

    i have an old AudioTechnica cartridge (not sure of the model number at the moment) that i might be better off replacing the stylus on (it got bent by my ex who thought it was a good idea to vacuum my turntable the one time she actually bothered to help me clean my old apartment). so maybe i should look into that...
    A cartridge is only as good as the tonearm, pre amp and speakers anyway, so unless all your parts are in the price range of the turntable, no reason not to go midrange.

  23. #2243
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    A cartridge is only as good as the tonearm, pre amp and speakers anyway, so unless all your parts are in the price range of the turntable, no reason not to go midrange.
    i have a Sansui SR-717. it's a direct drive. wish it was straight-tracking (my dad has a Mitsubishi LT-5V vertical straight-tracking that i want to relieve him of but that's probably not going to happen for a long time).

    as for the rest, i just have a yamaha surround receiver with a built-in phono pre-amp. it gets the job done. my living room front channel speakers are Revel Performa M22 and in the dining room i have some big old PolkAudio towers (no model number i can find on them).
    my main concern with the cartridge/stylus is doing as little damage to my records as possible when i play them.

  24. #2244
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my main concern with the cartridge/stylus is doing as little damage to my records as possible when i play them.
    Technically, it does regardless. But yes, an old stylus will wear records faster (cartridges should never need to be replaced unless they are damaged - or you can't get the stylus anymore)

  25. #2245
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    currently looking into an Ortofon 2M Red for $100. wish the Blue wasn't $225, or i'd get that one. : /

    anyway, arrivals from yesterday and today:



    old man gloom - seminar ii 2xLP with etched side D
    old man gloom - seminar iii on gold translucent

  26. #2246
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Recent Additions:

    Tim Hecker
    - Nordberg/Apondalifa & Mirages
    Puscifer - 8 Ball Bail Bonds (Red)
    Joy Division - Substance
    Helen - The Original Faces
    Savant - Artificial Dance
    Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal 7"
    Millie & Andrea - Drop The Vowels
    Harald Grosskopf - Synthesist/Re-Synthesist
    The Dead Weather - Dodge & Burn
    Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
    Blues Control & Laraaji - FRKWYS 8
    Gabi - Sympathy (White)
    Napolian - Incursio (Orange)
    Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts (Box Set #356/1000)
    Daft Punk - Tron Legacy
    Raum - Event Of Your Leaving
    Mirroring - Foreign Body
    Beach House - Depression Cherry (Clear) & Thank Your Lucky Stars (Green)
    Laurel Halo - In Situ
    Laurel Halo, Daniel Lopatin, Godin, Ferraro & Borden - FRKWYS 7
    Brian Eno/Laraaji - Ambient 3
    Last edited by hologram parade; 11-14-2015 at 02:02 PM.

  27. #2247
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

  28. #2248
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,432
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    got my new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. $100 and it's possible it actually sounds better than my old cartridge.
    excellent clarity, fantastic stereo separation (despite what a few reviews have said online), and it even looks cool!
    it was more complicated changing it than it should have been, but that's because of the shell i have, and the fact that i didn't notice the brand new screws and tiny screwdriver that came with the new cartridge.



    more info

    new arrival:



    cult leader - lightless walk, clear vinyl

  29. #2249
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    got my new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. $100 and it's possible it actually sounds better than my old cartridge.
    excellent clarity, fantastic stereo separation (despite what a few reviews have said online), and it even looks cool!
    it was more complicated changing it than it should have been, but that's because of the shell i have, and the fact that i didn't notice the brand new screws and tiny screwdriver that came with the new cartridge.



    more info

    new arrival:



    cult leader - lightless walk, clear vinyl
    nice cartridge, Im defnitly looking to get one myself or the Blue 2m

  30. #2250
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,957
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    If anyone's interested, I threw my THRICE - Alchemy Index vinyl box-set on eBay. Bid away! I really need the money this month!

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281859997119...84.m1558.l2649

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions