Page 92 of 195 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 5846

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    lol no no no, I wasn't singling out your wife specifically or anything. I could completely understand where being married and having an addiction to vinyl would be cause for debate, with anyone anywhere. I was making a general statement about how, since I'm not married or anything, I don't have to worry about that sort of thing, and can spend my money however I want without validating it to anyone but myself
    My missus has given up hope of having a dining room... we have all my vinyl and CD's along with a ton of DVD's and blu rays in there. There just happens to be a dining table too. I hung some of the stuff we got for our wedding (her uncle did an oil painting of the place we got married and one of her patients also did a water colour - the castle at Malcesine on Lake Garda in Italy if anyone is interested) but she's not buying that as anything other than a distraction haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac got repressed on 2 12" LPs recently instead of the 2 10" LPs they've been on forever. Has anybody heard anything about the quality of these?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So happy to finally have this on vinyl! I've had my cd copy for 8 or 9 years now, so this is a great upgrade.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac got repressed on 2 12" LPs recently instead of the 2 10" LPs they've been on forever. Has anybody heard anything about the quality of these?
    I heard Kid A was a definite upgrade, haven't had the chance to hear it for myself just yet. Also, the Amnesiac 12" repress is mastered at 45 RPM so that may make a difference.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    In celebration of my last Ghost concert I bought this last night:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    So happy to finally have this on vinyl! I've had my cd copy for 8 or 9 years now, so this is a great upgrade.

I'm quite happy with this as well. Beautiful looking disc and jacket. Only problem I have is that it has the typical surface noise that plagues all of Mondo's releases (the ones I have anyway)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I wrote a long blog post about my reasons for buying vinyl and the state of the changing market http://jmtd.net/log/vinyl_killing_vinyl/
    It might be a bit controversial here but, well, here you go.

In related news: I'm looking to put some doors on the front of my Ikea EXPEDIT unit. I have two normal-sized cubes in it and one that is shorter due to me modding the furniture a bit to fit my amp/receiver in. Has anyone tried the standard Ikea KALLAX door inserts - which are four sides of wood? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/s...-art-00278168/ I'm wondering whether you can still fit records inside the insert, and how much space is lost to the sides - the back might be useful, to stop records pushing out the back (otherwise I was planning to fit a strip of wood to retain them)

Another option in the UK is the B&Q "mixxit" or "konnect" systems, which are basically a rip-off of KALLAX. The Mixxit door is a similar concept to the Ikea one, http://www.diy.com/departments/home-...ter=DIY1530834, but loses some height, so I think would not be suitable for record storage.

The "form konnect" door is quite different, it's simply a door with a separate latch, and looks like it would be fine, if the dimensions are right, although I'm not sure how I'd get the pins into an existing unit without disassembling it all http://www.diy.com/departments/form-...ct_accessories

I think I'm leaning towards the "Konnect" at the moment. I think I could probably shorten a third Konnect door to fit my narrower storage space next to the amp.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Not an enormous amount of help, but I have an ikea drawer insert into a Kallax unit which had a wooden insert on both sides and the bottom if I remember right - it's definitely no more than a bit of 6mm timber. If the doors are the same arrangement but to four sides you'll only lose around 12mm so should only affect the biggest of your records

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, including a 12" art book seems like it would be a no-brainer and I would love to have that. It's the reason I've kept my CD copies of these albums when I've gotten rid of most of my CDs.

I have the original Parlophone 10" pressings of both albums, but I'm a sucker for the larger art and I was feeling tempted. Thanks for the feedback, it's not overwhelmingly positive so my wallet is safe for now, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Reviews on Discogs for the Kid A pressing are mixed: https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-Kid-A/release/9097173

It looks like the general consensus is that the sound quality is the best it's ever been, but the pressing quality leaves something to be desired.

And these latest pressings still don't contain the art books that accompanied both albums, which should be a no-brainer for the vinyl packaging. Ho hum..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I wrote a long blog post about my reasons for buying vinyl and the state of the changing market http://jmtd.net/log/vinyl_killing_vinyl/
    It might be a bit controversial here but, well, here you go.

In related news: I'm looking to put some doors on the front of my Ikea EXPEDIT unit. I have two normal-sized cubes in it and one that is shorter due to me modding the furniture a bit to fit my amp/receiver in. Has anyone tried the standard Ikea KALLAX door inserts - which are four sides of wood? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/s...-art-00278168/ I'm wondering whether you can still fit records inside the insert, and how much space is lost to the sides - the back might be useful, to stop records pushing out the back (otherwise I was planning to fit a strip of wood to retain them)

Another option in the UK is the B&Q "mixxit" or "konnect" systems, which are basically a rip-off of KALLAX. The Mixxit door is a similar concept to the Ikea one, http://www.diy.com/departments/home-...ter=DIY1530834, but loses some height, so I think would not be suitable for record storage.

The "form konnect" door is quite different, it's simply a door with a separate latch, and looks like it would be fine, if the dimensions are right, although I'm not sure how I'd get the pins into an existing unit without disassembling it all http://www.diy.com/departments/form-...ct_accessories

I think I'm leaning towards the "Konnect" at the moment. I think I could probably shorten a third Konnect door to fit my narrower storage space next to the amp.
    i have the kallax/expedit doors on all 16 of my sections and the records fit inside perfectly. just be very careful about over-stuffing your sections, because the hinges stick out a bit, as do the screws, and if you're not paying attention, you'll scratch up your sleeves.

for me, it was a necessity because of cat hair and dust. i actually miss having the open sections where i could display records.

in collecting news, recent acquisitions & plays:

stranger things volume one
    2xLP on standard black
    this music really belongs on vinyl

VAST - visual audio sensory theater
    first pressing, singed by jon crosby, number 111
    gave this to my wife for our anniversary back in september and we really enjoyed listening to it last week. after almost 20 years, "touched" still gives me goosebumps

john williams - star wars episode iv: a new hope
    2xLP on 180g gold vinyl
    my wife gave this to me for our anniversary and we finally listened to it yesterday. there's a cool insert where williams talks about all the pieces of music, how they came about, and descriptions of where they're used in the film (as if i did know that part after watching the movie upwards of 50 times in my life haha)
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 11-14-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Yeah, including a 12" art book seems like it would be a no-brainer and I would love to have that. It's the reason I've kept my CD copies of these albums when I've gotten rid of most of my CDs.

I have the original Parlophone 10" pressings of both albums, but I'm a sucker for the larger art and I was feeling tempted. Thanks for the feedback, it's not overwhelmingly positive so my wallet is safe for now, haha.
    Kid A is still one of my very favorite albums they've done, musically and aesthetically. Remember that special edition artbook you could get with the CD format when it first came out?

This one: https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-Ki...release/345422

My first pressing of the standard CD version had the regular artwork booklet and then there was that hidden art booklet under the CD tray with all the goofy drawings and what-not. As far as compact disc album packaging goes, that CD still takes the cake for me..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks for your replies, gentlefolks. @eversonpoe , @Al_Hunter , how awkward/possible do you think it would be to hack up one of those inserts to make it narrower? I'd need to cut the front and back parts I guess, and the whole thing wouldn't be in one piece anymore. I'm in two minds which type of thing to buy :>

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Thanks for your replies, gentlefolks. @eversonpoe , @Al_Hunter , how awkward/possible do you think it would be to hack up one of those inserts to make it narrower? I'd need to cut the front and back parts I guess, and the whole thing wouldn't be in one piece anymore. I'm in two minds which type of thing to buy :>
    wait, i'm confused...why do you need it to be narrower? the back/sides of the insert are REALLY thin. the only place you'd be able to take off some space is the actual door, and then i don't think the hinges would attach properly.

@NYRexall the "children's book" edition of Kid A was the first radiohead thing i owned. i got it for x-mas in 2000 and i was hooked.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, i'm confused...why do you need it to be narrower? the back/sides of the insert are REALLY thin. the only place you'd be able to take off some space is the actual door, and then i don't think the hinges would attach properly.

@NYRexall the "children's book" edition of Kid A was the first radiohead thing i owned. i got it for x-mas in 2000 and i was hooked.
    I want to fit three doors, two normal sized, and one narrower for my narrow space in this modified unit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I want to fit three doors, two normal sized, and one narrower for my narrow space in this modified unit

I very much doubt it'll work. The shelves and units (and so I'd guess the doors) are a laminate over like chip board so the only way you can reduce the size of the door is to cut through it. You'll never get a clean enough cut I don't think (it'll always look like something you tried to do badly). Only alternative I can suggest is to speak to someone who manufactures timber goods (like doors or kitchen units) might be able to make something bespoke but I wouldn't even attempt to modify something from ikea that involves cutting the laminate. The timber material also is likely to be a bit flakey without the laminate formed around it.

If you really wanted to try I'd suggest buying one to experiment on and using a really fine blade.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Depending on how wide the smallest section is you might be able to buy a kitchen unit door if the dimensions work. That's the only thing I can think of without going bespoke.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

with how tightly you have everything in there, there's no way you're gonna be able to get the doors on : /

don't know if this helps but here's how the door/insert fit with a section filled with records

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips, and especially the close-up pic of the drawers. Things are not quite that tight these days (pic is a few years old); the PT-01 and speakers aren't in the unit anymore, but I do have a lot more records, so it's a bit of a concern. I'm really not sure whether to buy a bunch of the Ikea ones to try (which are more expensive) or try the B&Q style doors instead. I have an opportunity to get to IKEA this week, B&Q is a bit more difficult...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips, and especially the close-up pic of the drawers. Things are not quite that tight these days (pic is a few years old); the PT-01 and speakers aren't in the unit anymore, but I do have a lot more records, so it's a bit of a concern. I'm really not sure whether to buy a bunch of the Ikea ones to try (which are more expensive) or try the B&Q style doors instead. I have an opportunity to get to IKEA this week, B&Q is a bit more difficult...
    i'd buy ONE to start with and see how it works. they're like $15 each i think (not sure how much they are in the UK). i did mine two at a time so i didn't have to drop $250 in one go.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    2016 has been okay i guess

Last edited by hologram parade; 11-15-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    both played tonight, while reading with my wife on the couch. i told her that my joy at being able to listen to records with her is indescribable. sharing my favorite thing with my favorite person.

lost highway OST
    2xLP on 180g black vinyl
    so happy to finally own this on vinyl. this album truly changed my life and my taste in music, not to mention introducing me to the world of david lynch.

clint mansell, kronos quartet, & mogwai - the fountain
    180g gold & yellow swirl w/black, white, & amber splatter vinyl
    literally my favorite film score ever. i just cried when it got to the crescendo of "death is the road to awe"

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    both played tonight, while reading with my wife on the couch. i told her that my joy at being able to listen to records with her is indescribable. sharing my favorite thing with my favorite person.

lost highway OST
    2xLP on 180g black vinyl
    so happy to finally own this on vinyl. this album truly changed my life and my taste in music, not to mention introducing me to the world of david lynch.

literally my favorite film score ever. i just cried when it got to the crescendo of "death is the road to awe"
    I'd love to do that with the future Mrs. but finding someone into the same shit musically I am is pretty much non-existent.

Awesome Lost Highway vinyl.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'd love to do that with the future Mrs. but finding someone into the same shit musically I am is pretty much non-existent.

Awesome Lost Highway vinyl.
    i mean, we don't like ALL the same stuff. she grew up listening to classical, which i mostly can't stand, and there's plenty of metal that i like that she's indifferent to or doesn't enjoy. but for the most part, she can get into almost anything. she also started talking to me in the first place because i mentioned my love of david lynch on my okcupid profile haha.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    This looks gorgeous. I've wanted to watch that movie for ages; my wife actually has it on DVD but we haven't watched it (a double feature with Black Swan; same). We don't watch a lot of movies at the moment.

i mean, we don't like ALL the same stuff. she grew up listening to classical, which i mostly can't stand, and there's plenty of metal that i like that she's indifferent to or doesn't enjoy. but for the most part, she can get into almost anything. she also started talking to me in the first place because i mentioned my love of david lynch on my okcupid profile haha.
    I think its awesome that you can share that with your wife. I don't have that with my wife; I mean, we have other things, but music is not really one of them (or very rarely is), and she comes from a family which don't listen to music much habitually so my household is a bit of a compromise. Hoping my baby daughter grows up to appreciate it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ffs. Weird Tapatalk issues. My wife is largely indifferent to music. It's either ok or awful. Aside from The Black Queen she hasn't really gone all in on anything. She just isn't all that into music. What can you do eh?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm finding the different points of view, and experiences with partners/family interesting so i thought id chime in. whether it happens a lot or rarely its always really great to share music/films what have you with these people in our lives - I know I've seen @eversonpoe mention something simliar. I kinda lucked out w/ my partner for the most part. when we got together when i was 19 she had nearly 4x the amount of vinyl i had and plenty of cds to boot. mainly from her early-mid teen years. her focus centered in on books and stayed there to this day, however she did turn me onto kid a (i had never heard the full thing! she scolded me, an made me listen immediately ha) air, neutral milk hotel, biggie, joni mitchell, fleet foxes. i had never really listened to these artist at all, if ever. i find that the majority of the music I'm drawn to these days isnt her cup of tea. she has gone to a small number of live shows with me, but its def not something she really thinks abt at all. she truly enjoys a lot of music I've turned her onto like: massive attack, beach house, first aid kit, fever ray etc, but id say the majority of my collection wouldn't resonate well - sonically too harsh, drone-y or abstract etc.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've not done any kind of an update in here in a while but... an assortment of latest arrivals:

Touché Amoré - Stage Four (clear with ox blood)
    Touché Amoré - Is Survived By (grey marble)
    Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Green Graves (moss green vinyl)
    City and Colour - Little Hell (red and green)
    City and Colour - The Hurry and the Harm (clear)
    City and Colour - If I Should Go Before You (clear with smoke)
    Massive Attack - The Spoils (lavender)
    Massive Attack - Dear Friend (blue)
    Autechre - Amber and Tri Repetae represses
    Ólafur Arnalds - Island Songs (white)
    Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason (silver)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    JUST so y'all know - MONDO released their vinyl reissue of the Fight Club soundtrack today. I ordered two copies. �� One to destroy and the other one to seal away forever because I'm in love with the packaging.

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/new...oundtrack-2xlp

Theres a great little unboxing video, too, but my phone's being a twat about posting that.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-17-2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Oopsie.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I emailed Mondo about the excessive surface noise on the Fountain and they're sending me a replacement. Now I have one to put in a frame!