Page 94 of 195 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 194 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 5833

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Recent Additions:

Agnes Obel - Aventine (Box Set)
    Michael Gordon, Mantra Percussion - Timer Remixed
    Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Black Magic Cannot Cross Water, Folklore Venom, The Plant With Many Faces, and Green Graves (Green)
    The Avalanches - Wildflower
    Autechre - Amber
    Vatican Shadow - Ornamented Walls (Orange)
    Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (1st Press #0110/1000)
    V/A - Remembering Mountains: Unheard Songs Of Karen Dalton
    Cliff Martinez - Drive (Pink)
    Death Grips - Fashion Week/Interview 2016
    Wendy Carlos - Sonic Seasonings
    Demdike Stare - Wonderland (Green)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got my replacement The Fountain vinyl in from Mondo the other day and listened to it last night while snowed in. This copy sounds nearly perfect. Still a tad quiet in spots, but a massive improvement over my last copy. Quite happy with this release now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    now playing

natural born killers o.s.t.
    2015 2xLP reissue
    i had forgotten just how many songs on this soundtrack i really DO love, and that even the ones i don't are still totally at home and flow perfectly with everything (good work, trent)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Did anyone get their Fight Club vinyl from Mondo yet? I heard Pixies' WIMM *might* be a hidden track somewhere on the pressing (as per hints in the liner notes), and there's actually some kind of sneaky way to open the sleeve without destroying the outer jacket, though apparently Tyler knows what you're up to and there's some kind of message if you attempt to bypass the "sacrifice" part?

In any event, this is shaping up to be a vinyl lover's dream, as far as album packaging goes..
    Do tell, what's the secret way to open? I may have it purchase this on eBay if I don't have to destroy it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Do tell, what's the secret way to open? I may have it purchase this on eBay if I don't have to destroy it.
    There's a sealed flap on one of the seams that can be peeled open. It still damages the packaging to open it that way. And even if you open it the intended way, you're not really destroying it. I think it looks pretty cool once it's been opened that way.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    new arrival / now playing:

telefon tel aviv - fahrenheit fair enough
    2016 2xLP reissue on sky-colored vinyl
    slightly disappointed that the “archive ‘99” bonus tracks weren’t pressed on vinyl, but still happy to have another version of this astoundingly beautiful record for my collection
    perfect timing, too, as i always listen to it on the day of the first snow
    I am loving this pressing; sounds great cut at 45 RPM. Just finished my first spin of the whole thing, also checked out a few of the bonus tracks that come with the download. While these are interesting timepieces, I can see why they opted not to include any on the records. Still can vividly remember what it felt like to see homemade music explode on the internet during those fledgling late 90s days.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I am loving this pressing; sounds great cut at 45 RPM. Just finished my first spin of the whole thing, also checked out a few of the bonus tracks that come with the download. While these are interesting timepieces, I can see why they opted not to include any on the records. Still can vividly remember what it felt like to see homemade music explode on the internet during those fledgling late 90s days.
    you can REALLY hear the aphex twin / autechre influence in a lot of the bonus tracks.
    it's also interesting that "rittle alpha" contains pieces that eventually became the song "map of what is effortless"

pressing-wise, it doesn't really sound different from the 2004 pressing i have on black, but i never heard the original single-LP 33rpm pressing, which i'm assuming doesn't sound nearly as good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    in the market for a secondary shelving unit for LPs since i've outgrown my kallax. i don't have room for another kallax (nor would my wife appreciate another MASSIVE unit in the house), but i've got my eyes on boltz's four shelf unit. holds 720 lps, sturdy, metallic and futuristic looking. anyone have experience with these?

https://boltz.com/lp-record-storage-rack-4-shelves.html

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    in the market for a secondary shelving unit for LPs since i've outgrown my kallax. i don't have room for another kallax (nor would my wife appreciate another MASSIVE unit in the house), but i've got my eyes on boltz's four shelf unit. holds 720 lps, sturdy, metallic and futuristic looking. anyone have experience with these?

https://boltz.com/lp-record-storage-rack-4-shelves.html
    that seems way too expensive for how basic it is. you can essentially get the same thing using modular shelving made by Inter Metro for like...a sixth of the price. also, i don't like how wide the shelves are with no support in the middle to bear the weight of the records. you have that many records all on one shelf and they put a lot of pressure on each other.

don't forget the kallax comes in many different formats. you can always get a 1x4 stack!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    that seems way too expensive for how basic it is. you can essentially get the same thing using modular shelving made by Inter Metro for like...a sixth of the price. also, i don't like how wide the shelves are with no support in the middle to bear the weight of the records. you have that many records all on one shelf and they put a lot of pressure on each other.

don't forget the kallax comes in many different formats. you can always get a 1x4 stack!
    yeah, i thought it was a bit pricey, to be honest... have heard they're "for life" though. that said, if only kallax came in 1x5, i'd make a 3x5. not sure how comfy i am making a 4x5, if that's even mathematically possible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    yeah, i thought it was a bit pricey, to be honest... have heard they're "for life" though. that said, if only kallax came in 1x5, i'd make a 3x5. not sure how comfy i am making a 4x5, if that's even mathematically possible.
    Closest you could get is to buy a 4 x 4 and a 1 x 4 and stack one atop the other. Assuming you meant 4 across 5 up... but then you said you don't want a massive unit, or am I completely confused?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'd LOVE a massi...yeah, ok not finishing that sentence, but mostly it's a limited space sort of situation in a NYC apartment. my math was also off above, i think a 3x5 would be ideal! i know they make individual cubes i can pop up top, but nervous with little toddling and stability, mostly. i'm not handy at all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i'd LOVE a massi...yeah, ok not finishing that sentence, but mostly it's a limited space sort of situation in a NYC apartment. my math was also off above, i think a 3x5 would be ideal! i know they make individual cubes i can pop up top, but nervous with little toddling and stability, mostly. i'm not handy at all.
    Haha good work, fuck sake I embarrass myself sometimes...

Could do 2 2x2 (or indeed a 2x4) units and a 1x4... sounds about the easiest configuration. They come with brackets so you can fix them to the wall on all 4 corners. You'd struggle for 3 across the top to make it 5 high and it also may look a little like you've just bolted loads of units. I knew they did individual cubes but didn't think they were in the Kallax range?? If they do I'm gonna get some cos I have run out of storage again (I only expanded mine last Christmas!!)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm pretty sure they come in all sorts of configurations. you can get a 1x1, a 1x2, a 2x2 (i have two), 1x4, 2x4 (i have one), etc. i think there's a way to make it work and affixing them together is pretty easy (but also not always necessary with how much weight is in them; the two 2x2s i have stacked to resemble a 2x4 and there's so much weight in the top one with the records in it that there's no way it's going anywhere unless you REALLY try to move it).

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    So my Fight Club LP from Mondo finally showed up today. It was shrink-wrapped like a regular LP and I really wasn't feeling the whole sacrifice-the-jacket gimmick, so I used an x-acto knife to slit the right side like a regular LP jacket opening. It took a little perseverance, but it worked and I didn't have to tear the jacket in half to get to the contents inside. The pink soap-colored vinyl is beautiful and super-heavy, and there's a hilarious fold-out diagram poster, as well as printed inner sleeves.

Maybe I cheated to get inside, but I don't care because I own this now and it's gorgeous and I OUTFUCKINGFOXED YOU, TYLER

#iamrexallssmirkingingenuity

Other stuff I got on vinyl in the last week:

Reality Bites OST
    Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself
    Paw - Death to Traitors
    Bloodhound Gang - Use Your Fingers
    Life of Agony - Ugly
    Shudder to Think - Get Your Goat
    Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits
    Babes In Toyland - Nemesisters
    Six Feet Under - Haunted
    Eve 6 - S/T
    Hayden - Everything I Long For (20th Anniv. Deluxe)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Outer sleeve question:

Has anyone found a sleeve that fits the newer reissues that are tad too large for the standard outer sleeves? i.e.. Bowie 'Reality' and 'No Code' by Pearl Jam.

I know Sleeve City (down the street from me) has these: http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimat...eve-p/9390.htm

BUT, a review posted that it didn't work with a reissue of 'Outside' by Bowie...so I am assuming it won't work with the 'Reality' reissue and the PJ record is definitely longer than that.

I own their box set sleeve but it has at least 1.5" of excess on the top and sides.

Any help?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Outer sleeve question:

Has anyone found a sleeve that fits the newer reissues that are tad too large for the standard outer sleeves? i.e.. Bowie 'Reality' and 'No Code' by Pearl Jam.

I know Sleeve City (down the street from me) has these: http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimat...eve-p/9390.htm

BUT, a review posted that it didn't work with a reissue of 'Outside' by Bowie...so I am assuming it won't work with the 'Reality' reissue and the PJ record is definitely longer than that.

I own their box set sleeve but it has at least 1.5" of excess on the top and sides.

Any help?
    i put my records in sleeves so that the opening of the sleeve is on the spine side (it's the best way to keep dust from getting into the inner sleeve, and it also makes it easier to read the spines when they're on a shelf). don't know if that'll help as i'm not sure if both the height and width of these are oversized.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sorry for the double post

now playing

tori amos - boys for pele
    2016 180g 2xLP remaster
    my side A was fine, but so far, my side B is having some issues (there was a skip and a LOT of horrible noise during "marianne") so i'm pretty bummed at the moment

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Huh, I bought this about a month ago and had no issues with mine. Do you clean your records (new or used) before you play them?
    yup, use a (dry) discwasher on every side before i play it to remove dust & debris. it looks totally clean. after "marianne" i only had a few very minor issues so i'm hoping it was just a fluke, but i was listening on headphones so it was even more unpleasant to have that happen.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So, thanks to Trent Reznor being a living and benevolent if cryptic god, and remastering and reissuing the entire main NIN discography out of nowhere today, I think it's safe to assume we'll be seeing a lot of fans potentially dipping their toes into the format soon, and since this thread is so great, we could maybe get some good discussion going about what set-ups are good introductory ones for people who aren't into the world of wax yet and could use some guidance. If anyone has any advice, it'd be really cool to chime in.

Something not discussed often enough that many might not even think about is how to clean your records. There are so many different methods and ways to do it (like everything else with vinyl) and it can be daunting. The most important vinyl 101 thing to know is to never use an abrasive on it. Don't use paper towels, don't drag your fingers across the surface, hold it by the edges or at the label if you can. There are tons of decent record cleaning brushes with cleaning solutions that are really just water and isopropyl alcohol blended together that work just fine and some incredible higher-end record washing machines if you really want to go nuts with it. It's recommended you give your records a quick clean just before or just after every use, and a deeper one as you see fit. A ton of albums will come in sleeves that end up getting tiny specks all over your records; the best thing with vinyl when it comes to dirtiness is how easy it is to spot thanks to the sleek black look of the stuff. Never try and touch or pick off dirt, you're going to fuck your album up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also, something most people probably don't realize - your turntable needs to be PERFECTLY LEVEL in all directions in order to play your records without damaging them. i have a circular level designed for the exact purpose of leveling a turntable, but a standard level will do.

also, if possible, get one with an adjustable weight tone-arm, as to further diminish the chances of damaging your records.

also, STAY FAR AWAY FROM CROSLEY

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

also, STAY FAR AWAY FROM CROSLEY
    A-fucking-men.

I had one given to me as a gift before I ever got into the format but they knew I was interested in it and wanted to. It was thoughtful and sweet and I can't fault them for it; they're all over the place and the advertisement of being able to play right out of the box with no speakers, no amps, no wires needed sounds too good to be true. And it totally is. I had to replace my copy of Radiohead's King of Limbs because it permanently ruined the intro on Bloom when Thom Yorke sings "Open your mouth wide, a universal sigh," my favorite part of the entire fucking record. They'll really wreck things heavily before you know it after just a couple of plays.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's been a while I try to document myself on vinyl (I have a decent 80's Philips F7112) and how to get the best from them...

Thanks for the first advice on how not to destroy them. Do you have an example of brushes and cleaning solutions (maybe we can make it ourselves ?)
    Also I am wondering: when not listening to them, how to keep them safe and not damage them without doing a thing. I guess temperature is also a problem.
    Oh and the turntable, so not Crosley, I get it, which ones then ? I often see good reviews for Pro-ject debut...
    Oh and which cartridge, and where to put the speakers (because the vibrations may damage the discs, right ?).

Argh so many questions. Maybe I will go little by little.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    yea so I ordered each of those new nine inch nails vinyls... kill me

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Having gone for Deviations 1 (is there going to be more??), TDS and each of the new release I'm now tempted to get remastered copies of Broken and The Fragile. So tempting!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    There's another thread to use for equipment discussion, I think timp set it up, can't find it on mobile right now

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, I bought The Fragile Vinyl. Good news, I have been gifted a record player. Bad news, its an antique and it doesnt play. A fixer upper for sure, but thanks to NIN, I am in. Ill be buying one record a month so I think I will miss out on Deviance 1. Now I gotta find a place to store records.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Been collecting steady for 7 years. Mainly I buy and then encode (digitize) the record so that I can listen to it at my pleasure on iDevices (etc.). I had most of vinyl encoded and then one my hard drives was knocked off the desk it was on and have spent 1.5 years re-encoding what I have (plus whatever I've managed to purchase in the meantime). Not a huge collection but one I'm happy with.

Here's a link to my Discogs page.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    some recent acquisitions, all played in the last couple of days:

thrice - to be everywhere is to be nowhere
    180g black + full-size lyric/photo book
    holy balls, talk about a comeback. i’m sad it took me this long to finally hear this album, because it is (with the exception of one song) absolutely fantastic. this band still makes me feel things very deeply, and for that i am extremely thankful.

isis - the mosquito control EP
    translucent blue limited to 500 copies

over the garden wall soundtrack
    translucent yellow w/orange splatter + score/lyric book
    this show is incredible and the music is so wonderful and unique

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    some recent acquisitions, all played in the last couple of days:

Couldn't agree more with you. This album is great start to finish!