Page 5 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    ^^^
    Post pictures of your frenchie in the Pictures of your Pets thread!
    For sure I will post some tomrorrow

today I picked up

Sigur Ros-Petta er island
    Kendrick Lamar-good kid,m.A.A.dcity
    Mogwai-A Wrenched Virile lore-limited edition color vinyl EP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's cool from the standpoint of "wow! look what technology can do!" but as a vinyl connoisseur, it's HORRIBLE.
    Yeah, but it sounds warmer than CDs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Yeah, but it sounds warmer than CDs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listening to "The River Made No Sound" by Pan•American (aka mark nelson from Labradford).

i worked with mark at barnes and noble when i was in high school and his music was a big influence on me. i've always really enjoyed this album, but i almost freaked out when i started listening to it, because the vinyl versions of about half the songs are COMPLETELY different versions/mixes than the CD, and i thought my turntable was malfunctioning at first.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just picked up the Portishead Live in NYC and Tom Waits' Blue Valentine. Both sound incredible.

Also, don't know if I mentioned this one earlier or not, but I got that Sigur Ros single that plays/starts from the center of the record. Fun in a gimmicky sort of way.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Recent Arrivals:

Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others
    Iamamiwhoami - Kin
    Andrew Bird - Useless Creatures
    Department Of Eagles - In Ear Park
    Lower Dens - Deer Knives
    Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
    Thurston Moore - Benidition
    Various - Personal Space Electronic Soul 1974-1984
    The White Stripes - Hotel Yorba

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

So I used to have a weak spot for colored/splatter/marble vinyls and I was buying just about anything I came across. Well, I've since changed my focus onto items that hold more personal value to me rather than something that just looks cool. Since I'm not a Blink 182 fan (even though they're a local San Diego band) I felt like unloading these two beautiful records that I picked up from Hot Topic (they were exclusive repress releases back in 2010)

Needless to say, I was VERY surprised that I got this much for them:

So, I highly recommend checking out what Hot Topic has as far as vinyl goes. They tend to get these crazy exclusive releases that are very limited and very valuable. I think I spent $12 for Cheshire Cat and $16 for Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.

One of my favorite pieces that I picked up from HT was this beautiful gem. It was this release that caught my attention and made me continue to check in on HT.com and their local stores....

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I wonder what all those hand that feeds vinyls from back in the day there are worth...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    I wonder what all those hand that feeds vinyls from back in the day there are worth...
    Squat....but then again that wasn't a HT exclusive release.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    More vinyls

Rachel's - Handwriting
    Rachel's- Music for Egon Schiele

Sigur Ros- Inni

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

werent they supposed to be limited to 1500 or something tho? i remember everyone was pissed that we bought a ton of em haha

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    More vinyls

Rachel's - Handwriting
    Rachel's- Music for Egon Schiele
    those are the two rachel's albums that i own on vinyl, as well. they both have lovely packaging, besides sounding fantastic.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

werent they supposed to be limited to 1500 or something tho? i remember everyone was pissed that we bought a ton of em haha
    Haha, yeah. My photo got me a special photoshop thread on the old ETS. I'm sure @Leviathant knows what I'm talking about

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I just bought Sigur Ros- A Frozen Sea ughhh that hurt. Anyone else own ? How does it sound.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I really need to give Sigur Ros a shot. What album would you recommend starting off with? @Rdm

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Agaetis Byrjun Or ( ) For sure. Either one is flawless

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Haha, yeah. My photo got me a special photoshop thread on the old ETS. I'm sure @Leviathant knows what I'm talking about

didnt we both have warnings for like 5 years after that? hahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For Xmas I got Tame Impala's Innerspeaker & Lonerisim, Melodys echo chamber (produced by kevin parker of Tame Impala), Dark horses 7in singles Alone & Radio , and finally Yeah yeah yeahs fever to tell picture disc.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I'm really digging Tame Impala's latest record. How do their previous albums hold up to the latest?

didnt we both have warnings for like 5 years after that? hahah
    Not gonna lie, I kinda miss my warning bar Part of the reason behind my new name is due to that time period when I was known as being a notorious prick
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Ok, for those of you who are into colored/shaped/marbled vinyls, you need to pick this book up:

Extraordinary Records - Currently on Amazon.com for $26.99 - I got mine when it was full price

This book is filled with all sorts of cool looking records and I've been able to add some of them to my collection. Here are a couple of examples:

Dink: Get On It

Simple Minds: New Gold Dream

Split Endz: Ture Color laser etched

Bryan Adams: "Though I'd Died and Gone to Heaven" Limited edition Silver 12"

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I just bought Sigur Ros- A Frozen Sea ughhh that hurt. Anyone else own ? How does it sound.

I have it, and it doesn't sound AMAZING. It sounds about as well as you'd expect it to sound for such a lightweight vinyl. It's a phenomenal package though.

And going back to the Hot Topic exclusive thing, Hot Topic releases are always a great investment. I have quite a few of their releases, my favorites being their special colored Deftones releases and I hold them dearly because of how much they are worth now. When Hot Topic says "one time only limited pressing" they truly mean it. Probably the only cool thing about that store. They did two recent repressings of a couple of old Underoath albums that I really want for nostalgia sake and have had the hardest time finding them.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    @NotoriousTIMP props to the simple minds (really, a perfect album) but a stern look regarding your framed bryan adams award.

i do like colored vinyl from an aesthetic point of view, but good lord is it impossible to DJ in a dimly lit club. i always have the short wave mystery reissue (down and out in a town of yardsales) and it's a red/yellow marbled affair. can't find the grooves for the tracks to save my life. white/clear vinyl is even worse!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

^^^^
    The Bryan Adams 12" isn't framed, that's it sleeve to make it looked framed. I got it because it was super cheap $5 and I didn't have any silver colored vinyls in my collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @NotoriousTIMP the new Tame Impala is good, really really good. I do prefer Innerspeaker to it though. The first time I heard their (his) debut I had to listen to it all the way through again.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I'll give that album a shot and if I like it ill track it down on wax thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I have it. Sounds fantastic (but nothing extraordinary), and it is really beautiful. My only gripe is that my set came with a scratch on the beginning of one of the sides. How much are they selling it for now?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Picked up Kate Bush's "50 Words For Snow" today - the inclusion of a CD copy and 20 page booklet sold me. I only listened to the album once or twice when it first came out via Spotify, and even it it didn't blow me away as a whole, there were 2 or 3 songs I remember that did. Seasonally, it seems like a good time to get into this album, especially on vinyl.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Picked up Kate Bush's "50 Words For Snow" today - the inclusion of a CD copy and 20 page booklet sold me.
    Interesting that a cd was included, was it a special deal type thing from a certain place or is that how it's sold now?
    I bought the vinyl and cd when it was released. Not my favourite KB album, but nice to listen to at this time of year, and the vinyl art is gorgeous with the booklet and gatefold.

Did you manage to pick up the RSD "Lake Tahoe" pic disc? That's nice too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    MFinally got it !!! Number 138 . Wow a pretty low number
    Last edited by Rdm; 12-29-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I got it for 330. For a Christmas gift . I think it's a good deal seeing how takk cost 150 most places