Page 45 of 195 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 145 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 5841

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    How's the dune soundtrack? I've only heard the eno track, which is good but (when I subsequently rewatched the movie) massively overused in the film itself. I've not heard anything else by toto but I gather they're respected. Rumour has it eno did a full score for the movie but only that one track got used. I wonder if it leaked.
    i haven't actually listened to it, but now it's up on my list.

i don't know if eno's full score ever leaked, but i wish it would. that man is a genius. it was probably the delaurentis family that decided to go with toto (in an attempt to boost the film's popularity amongst all of its problems).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I should be receiving my pre-order for the new Venetian Snares LP today. I'm excited to pop that on later.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So I'm taking a big risk posting this here as I am sure I will be criticized or mocked. But here it goes:

I have slowly starting selling my CD collection (minus a few bands) and I am wanting to start collecting vinyl.

I already own the Jurassic Park mondo and Dillinger Escape Plan "Happiness" 7". The reason behind this change is that I would like to be able to hear the highest quality sound, and have original pressings of some of my favorite older records (Dawn of the Dead aka Zombi by Goblin, Taxi Driver OST, every Miles Davis record etc etc…)

I also enjoy the thought of having to sit down, put a record on and become 100% engulfed into just listening to the album. Where as nowadays if I listen to a CD or iPod: I'm driving, doing yard work or playing on the inter webs.

So I guess I am asking of you all is:

As a novice, what should I be on the look out for when purchasing vinyl, a turntable, or just any advice on starting out. The best speeds? Any advice at all would be great.

As I know 99% of people will laugh that I am asking this, I am expecting some non-sense responding, but I am legitimatley wanting to embark into this way of listening to an album.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    As I know 99% of people will laugh that I am asking this, I am expecting some non-sense responding, but I am legitimatley wanting to embark into this way of listening to an album. .
    I don't know why you expect to be mocked in the vinyl thread. Welcome!

I would say, though, that I don't think wanting to hear the best quality is a good reason to be buying vinyl. Plenty of other good reasons.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I don't know why you expect to be mocked in the vinyl thread. Welcome!

I would say, though, that I don't think wanting to hear the best quality is a good reason to be buying vinyl. Plenty of other good reasons.

I don't really like using FLAC, as it can't go on my iPod, which is the other reason. I want to separate from listening while doing other thing. I want the experience of plugging in and escaping for an hour.

And I just assumed people would laugh. Most people hate when newbies come into their circles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    And I just assumed people would laugh. Most people hate when newbies come into their circles.
    I only got into vinyl about a year ago and I don't think I came across any elitists. People who are extemely proud of their setups and shit on any turntable system under $5000, yeah maybe, but I think even they're down for more people getting into the format.

My advice would be to save your cash and purchase something semi decent. I went with the cheapest quality stuff I could find, a Pro Ject turntable with a decent cartridge and a yaquin amp that i put new tubes in.

I loved doing all the research and learning about all this new gear, it just sucks when there's so many choices and you can't figure out what to go with.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've always hated that mentality. i want as many people into the things i'm into as possible, because it means we get to share experiences/have conversations about common interests, and that, to me, is the best thing about interacting with people. pretty much everyone in here is going to be eager to help you out or at least point you in the right direction, because we're all so passionate about it!

and, yeah, save up a little, get something at least halfway decent (so you're not destroying your records while you're listening to them), and make sure you do your research beforehand. know whether you're going to need an external phono pre-amp, get some kind of record-cleaning system (i use a discwasher [dry] on each side of every record before i listen to it), and start out with a crate or two in which to store your vinyl.

welcome to the club!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The actual turntable is one thing I haven't mastered understanding yet. As I've seen a million. I used to work at in independent record store that sold CDs, DVDs, Vinyl etc. and when we started selling turntables, they were the cheap plastic ones that were maybe $100. Is it possible to get a decent one that won't break the bank or destroy the records?

EDIT 1:

Also, are turntables with a built-in preamp and bypass switch a "no-no"?

And is it better to stick with the OEM cartridge or to by an aftermarket one after you but a turntable? If the latter, then how do you decide the best route to take as far as cartridges?

EDIT 2:

Sorry for all of the questions but is it possible to get a turntable that will play all speeds?
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-16-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    The actual turntable is one thing I haven't mastered understanding yet. As I've seen a million. I used to work at in independent record store that sold CDs, DVDs, Vinyl etc. and when we started selling turntables, they were the cheap plastic ones that were maybe $100. Is it possible to get a decent one that won't break the bank or destroy the records?

EDIT 1:

And is it better to stick with the OEM cartridge or to by an aftermarket one after you but a turntable? If the latter, then how do you decide the best route to take as far as cartridges?

EDIT 2:

Sorry for all of the questions but is it possible to get a turntable that will play all speeds?
    you'd be hard-pressed to find a turntable that will play 78s and won't destroy your records.
    but i can't imagine you'll be getting a lot of 78s, and pretty much any record player will do 33 & 45rpm.

some turntables with built-in pre-amps are perfectly fine. plus, you save money rather than having to buy an outboard one. i have an older surround receiver that has a phono input (and that's the only reason it's still part of my setup) but almost nothing these days does.

cartridge-wise, as i've discussed in the thread previously, i have a REALLY expensive one, and always have had really expensive ones, so i have no idea what it's like to just use the one that comes on a turntable. if you do buy one separately, make sure you're getting a turntable that actually allows you to adjust weight & tension (otherwise you're going to destroy your records).

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

EDIT 1:

EDIT 2:

Whatever you do, just DON'T buy a Crosley. Fuck those things.

I'd recommend starting out with an Audio Technica turntable.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Whatever you do, just DON'T buy a Crosley. Fuck those things.

I'd recommend starting out with an Audio Technica turntable.
    i second both of these. audio technica makes good turntables with pretty good cartridges that won't break the bank.

just bought my friend/guitarist the Escape From New York soundtrack for his birthday. he's gonna be so excited! i'm just jealous i didn't buy it for me hahaha.

finally bought a copy of Horse Rotorvator (my favorite COIL album) because someone finally put one up for a reasonable price, and i'm pretty sure it arrived yesterday (i have things shipped to my parents' house and my mom is bringing it by today when we meet up for lunch). i'm really, really excited about it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Great, another thing for hipsters to latch onto.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    ive been throwing a lot of money at annie clark lately. ive been praying/hoping that her version of lithium performed live with nirvana makes its way onto a 7" at some point bc that shit was amazing

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Woot! Finally got this and lucky me it's the grey as oppose the regular version.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Sadly all copies of such things I can find are around the $150 mark, so not gonna be in my collection anytime soon
    (also, most are 78rpm, so there's also that holding it back)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Sadly all copies of such things I can find are around the $150 mark, so not gonna be in my collection anytime soon
    (also, most are 78rpm, so there's also that holding it back)
    i'm hoping that a band i like decides to press a transparent record and somehow make it LOOK like a piece of x-ray film.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm hoping that a band i like decides to press a transparent record and somehow make it LOOK like a piece of x-ray film.
    You mean like Jack White for RSD 2013? It's been done but come on, the value here is in the history, not the prettiness!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @NYRexall i think you'll be happy about this:

Jimmy Eat World have announced they will reissue three titles on double LP via Universal Music Enterprises in partnership with SRCvinyl. Static Prevails will be released on August 19th, Clarity on September 2nd, and Futures on September 30th. All of the titles are available for pre-order now at SRCvinyl.com

Static Prevails, originally released on Capitol Records in 1996 and expanded CD edition in 2007, will be reissued as a double LP on 180 gram lavender colored vinyl. The original album tracks are cut from analog masters at 24-bit/96 kHz to 33 1/3 RPM, with tracks, "Seventeen" and "Digits", beginning as 16-bit/44.1 kHz recordings. The reissue includes bonus tracks, “77 Satellites” and “What Would I Say to You Now”, and features the original CD artwork displayed in its’ full capacity within a high gloss gate-fold jacket accompanied by an 11 x 11 insert. You can pre-order Static Prevails here.

Clarity, originally released on Capitol Records in 1999 and expanded CD edition in 2007, will be reissued as a double LP on 180 gram clear colored vinyl. The original album tracks are cut from analog masters at 24-bit/96 kHz to 33 1/3 RPM and include bonus tracks, "Christmas Card" and "Sweetness", which began as 16-bit/44.1 kHz recordings. Album art is displayed to its full capacity throughout a matte gatefold jacket with spot UV and accompanied by an 11 x 22 insert. You can pre-order Clarity here.

Futures, originally released on Interscope Records in 2004, will be reissued as a double LP on 180 gram blue vinyl. Remastered from the highest quality 16-bit/44.1 kHz recordings and cut at 33 1/3 RPM, the vinyl reissue features the bonus track, “Shame”. Artwork is displayed to its full capacity throughout a matte triple panel gatefold jacket with spot UV and accompanied by an 11 x 22 insert. You can pre-order Futures here.
    i'm getting all three!!!

also, my (deluxe edition) copy of the new mastodon album should arrive today, so i'm stoked about that.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Holy hell, I've spent waaaaaay too much money on wax this past four days....this is a very expensive form a therapy for me as of late......

Finally added a Flexi to my collection and what better way than it being from Joy Division

I've been after this U2 promo sampler for YEARS and I got it for a decent price....
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 06-24-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I wanted to take a moment and share my friends 'man cave' which holds all of his records. Everytime I go over to his place I'm just in awe at this sight...

and I'm pretty sure I haven't shared this in here before, but I found this test pressing record at a shop in Georgetown near Seattle. Its metal and weighs over 200g. Sadly, the test has faded away from the label but we think it was a master disc for a college fight song. Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

and finally, this is the first time I've ever seen this done before. Its a vinyl on one side, and a CD on the other....kinda cool.....

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @NotoriousTIMP i have a brand new sealed (it was a promo, no bar code) mars volta "candy and a currant bun/wax simulacra" vinyl/cd that's a lot like your anberlin single. do you or any other vinyl aficionados here have any idea if it's worth anything?
    Last edited by kel; 06-24-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @NotoriousTIMP the crazy puzzle-box version of Option Paralysis by dillinger escape plan came with a CD/vinyl version of the album. unfortunately, the track on the vinyl side is just a remix.

also, super jealous of many of your new purchases.

also, i hate the term "man-cave" so i'm glad you put it in quotes, since i'm assuming you think it's kind of stupid, too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i've had this for two months and i'm finally listening to it today. god, i love this album.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quick question: Does anyone happen to have one of the limited edition Dillinger Escape Plan "One Of Us is the Killer" vinyl variants that they would be willing to part with?

http://www.discogs.com/Dillinger-Esc...elease/4590117

or

http://www.discogs.com/Dillinger-Esc...elease/4590124
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-26-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    is anyone interested in an original version of Remission by Mastodon on Gold 2xLP, signed by Bill Kelliher?

i put my copy up on discogs for $50, but if anyone here wants it, it's yours for $30 + shipping! (that's what i paid for it when i bought it in 2010, and i've kept it in marvelous condition)

PM me for more info!!!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Got my Tori Amos Unrepentant Geraldines yesterday! Waiting on Metronomy's Love Letters in the mail.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Some records I got this year.

Burial - Untrue

Jackson Scott - Melbourne / Moonface - Julia With Blue Jeans On

The Hotelier - Home, Like No Place There Is

Swans - To Be Kind

Deafheaven - Sunbather

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

I swear I wasn't going to buy anything today

Cracker ‎– Low (10" pink marbled EP)
    Fine Young Cannibals ‎– Good Thing (10" single with double grooving on A side with 2 different versions of the single)
    Pop Will Eat Itself ‎– 16 Different Flavours Of Hell (greatest hits)
    The Psychedelic Furs‎– The Psychedelic Furs
    Charlie Parker ‎– Le Jazz Cool, Historical Recordings, Vol. 2
    Audrey Motaung ‎– Colours Can't Clash
    Kitchens Of Distinction ‎– When In Heaven
    Chakk ‎– 10 Days In An Elevator
    The Jungle Book OST with storybook
    The Fox and the Hound picturedisc (soundtrack and story)
    Various ‎– Freedom Principle - Acid Jazz And Other Illicit Grooves Vol. 2

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    SOMEONE TAKE MY CREDIT/DEBIT CARD AWAY FROM ME!!!!

Yesterday's pulls from Amoeba in Hollywood

Sons of Magdalene - Move to Pain - debut LP from Josh Eustis
    Sisters of Mercy - The Reptile House EP
    Revolting Cocks - (Let's Get) Physical white label test pressing w/ banned version!
    Bootleg Promo 12" - Contains a mega mix of Nitzer Ebb, Depeche Mode, and Front 242
    Manufacture - Terrorvision - As it turns out, Sarah McLachlan sings on track 2. I didn't know this when I picked up the vinyl, I only got it because it was on the Network label and the price was $2.99.