Page 41 of 195 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 5846

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    vinyl gimmicks are nifty, but this is pretty damn cool.

http://io9.com/jack-whites-new-ultra...ium=socialflow
    the only thing i'm nervous about is the playable labels. i'm worried people are gonna fuck up their turntables with those

that said, having only heard one song off the album, i am absolutely ordering this. $20 for a 180g, awesomely unique record? you bet your ass!

also, debating getting this (already pre-ordered the silver de-loused, and, unlike apparently everyone, i actually like amputechture more than frances the mute) vs. dropping $70 on the new mastodon album.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    A lot of people won't be able to play the labels anyway, auto-return arms and such things.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Vinyl I bought in the last month:

Rage Against the Machine - S/T (first pressing)

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire (first pressing)

Orbit - Libido Speedway (extremely rare pink promo LP)

White Zombie - Astrocreep 2000 (first pressing, on transparent blue vinyl)

Cracker - The Golden Age (first pressing)

Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut (first pressing)

Metallica - Load (first pressing)

The Twilight Singers - Powder Burns (DMM second pressing)

Rollins Band - Weight (first pressing on clear vinyl)

3rd Bass - Derelicts of Dialect (first pressing)

God Lives Underwater - Life In the So-called Space Age (first pressing)

Tool - Undertow (1996 pressing)

Ministry - Twitch (first pressing)

Spoon - Kill the Moonlight (first pressing)

The Breeders - Last Splash (first pressing)

Firehose - If'n (first pressing)

Cycle Sluts From Hell - S/T (first pressing)

Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter (first pressing)

Helmet - Meantime (first pressing)

Helmet - Monochrome

Longwave - The Strangest Things (promo - first pressing)

Fuel - Sunburn (first pressing)

Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy + The Freedom Sessions (first pressing)

Mineral - The Power of Failing (first pressing)

2Pac - Strictly For My Niggaz (first pressing)

Thanks to that conversation with @NotoriousTIMP from a few weeks ago, I pretty much won't touch represses anymore unless there's a good reason to, or if it comes from a respectable label that specializes in analog means.

That new reissue of BMRC's first album is a good example of a reissue I'm interested in. An original press goes for a ridiculous amount of money, and the reissue has bonus tracks and an etched D-side which looks pretty handsome.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Mother of god ...
    *pre-orders*
    Where can I do the pre-order?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think Jack White has basically won. Everyone else should just give up now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Amazon has it up

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    or direct from Third Man, if you're so inclined.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So is the Ultra LP version the one that's only $20?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Click the link.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    There's been tons of photos from everyone here so it's not worth posting one, but I finally caught up on the deluxe edition of . . . Like Clockwork. Fuckin' gorgeous packaging. Can't wait to listen to it later.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So is the Ultra LP version the one that's only $20?
    tbh ... I'm not sure. I did an Amazon pre-order partially because I can cancel it if it turns out the UK version won't have the features. But the fact the Third Man's one is around the same price as the Amazon one gives me hope, after all the only expensive part of the different features is the hologram

edit:
    Ok, found a couple of sources that say "The Ultra LP is the standard version of the album". So order from wherever is best, Amazon is still better for me, because I don't want to risk a custom's charge.
    Last edited by sheepdean; 05-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yes, the ultra LP is the standard version of the album. so anywhere you order it from, you should be getting the crazy-super-deluxe-but-still-only-20-bucks-version.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If anyone is a MONO (Japan) fan, they have all of their Double LPs on sale and all are autographed by the band for $14.99

Not bad deals at all for the vinyl…considering vinyl prices now-a-days

http://monoofjapan.bandcamp.com/merch

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Dresden Dolls RSD release is up on discogs for $30!!

http://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=5594924

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wasn't there some controversy regarding the Music On Vinyl pressing of Alice in Chains' Dirt? And MOV in general? I just happened to score Dirt in mint for only 10 euro last week, couldn't pass. But I can't help but recall talk about them sourcing it from digital or something of that nature. I also have Album of The Year from MOV. Would be nice and all if they weren't a complete waste.

Other recent second-hand purchases:

David Bowie - Heroes
    David Bowie - Let's Dance
    Van Halen - Fair Warning
    Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell
    Blastromen - Blasteroids EP

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangster_ View Post
    Wasn't there some controversy regarding the Music On Vinyl pressing of Alice in Chains' Dirt? And MOV in general? I just happened to score Dirt in mint for only 10 euro last week, couldn't pass. But I can't help but recall talk about them sourcing it from digital or something of that nature. I also have Album of The Year from MOV. Would be nice and all if they weren't a complete waste.
    what their site says is that they "use the highest quality source(s) available." which means that if they don't have access to the original analog masters, they'll use a high-quality digital source. i'm honestly fine as long as they don't use low-quality digital sources, like MP3s, because that would be ridiculous. after all, new music isn't recorded on analog devices (unless you're jack white) so you're converting D to A anyway.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Indeed, if digital sourcing is controversial now we're boned.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Got Oceania by SP in the mail; bought it brand new, and I didn't know that that included split corners on the gatefold and a cracking spine! Sure is nice of the seller to package it in really really thing bubble wrap like you would a book in a plastic book, and for the mail guy to throw it down onto my porch instead of placing it. I guess this is just a hazard that comes with the hobby.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Got Oceania by SP in the mail; bought it brand new, and I didn't know that that included split corners on the gatefold and a cracking spine! Sure is nice of the seller to package it in really really thing bubble wrap like you would a book in a plastic book, and for the mail guy to throw it down onto my porch instead of placing it. I guess this is just a hazard that comes with the hobby.
    i'm really sorry, dude. i hate it when people don't package/handle things properly. it's definitely a maddening aspect of being into vinyl. :/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm really sorry, dude. i hate it when people don't package/handle things properly. it's definitely a maddening aspect of being into vinyl. :/
    I feel your pain. I bought an original UK pressing of the Broken EP from a guy on the old ETS and he clearly had no idea whatsoever of how to properly ship a record and when it showed up, the record itself was broken into two pieces, as the dude wrapped it in a thin layer of newspaper and put it in a paper envelope to ship it. Never seen anything like it in my life. Incidentally enough it is now actually framed on my wall both for irony and a reminder of that insane situation.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I feel your pain. I bought an original UK pressing of the Broken EP from a guy on the old ETS and he clearly had no idea whatsoever of how to properly ship a record and when it showed up, the record itself was broken into two pieces, as the dude wrapped it in a thin layer of newspaper and put it in a paper envelope to ship it. Never seen anything like it in my life. Incidentally enough it is now actually framed on my wall both for irony and a reminder of that insane situation.
    i feel like an asshole but the end of that story just made me laugh out loud pretty hard.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I've only had a badly shipped record once, thankfully, someone had elected to brown paper wrap Closer to God 12", and it ended up in a very strange shape indeed.

Related, anyone wanna trade for a really warped but technically playable Closer to God? :P

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    How did Jack White's $20 LP become a £26 LP?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    How did Jack White's $20 LP become a £26 LP?
    20% VAT
    Import costs
    UK prices include postage
    Price gouging
    And you ordered a bit late, if you'd done it on announcement day, you'd have it at a cool £18 like me :P

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I haven't even ordered it - won't at that price. First track released only yesterday or so I think. Wanted to be sure I like it first

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Some of my pickups from the last few weeks. Still have a few more trickling in.

Isis, part 1

The Mosquito Control EP - 12" dark green/black marbled.
    The Red Sea - 8" translucent gold
    The Red Sea - 12" opaque red/grey
    Celestial - 2x12" opaque brown swirl/opaque red swirl
    SGNL05 - 12" black

Better view of The Mosquito Control EP, since it looks black in the previous pic.

Isis, part 2

Oceanic - 2x12" clear
    Panopticon - 2x12" translucent blue
    In The Absence Of Truth - 2x12" translucent red, Japanese pressing
    Wavering Radiant - 2x12" opaque yellow/white swirl
    Live 4 - 2x12" translucent honey
    Isis + Aereogramme - In the Fishtank 14 - 12" translucent blue

Old Man Gloom

Seminar II: The Holy Rites Of Primitivism Regressionism - 2x12" black w/etching on side D
    Seminar III: Zozobra + Meditations In B - 2x12" black, European pressing
    Christmas Eve I & II + 6 + Live In NYC - 12" opaque yellow
    Christmas - 2x12" translucent red/green
    NO - 2x12" translucent red/black marble

Better view of NO, since it looks black in the previous pic.

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork, Limited Deluxe Edition

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've had every version of Bleed American on my wantlist on discogs (so i get a billion e-mails about new copies posted) but everyone has been selling it for at least $100, if not around $150.

today, someone posted a copy of the 3xLP remastered version for only $80, and i immediately bought it. the seller not only put everything through really quickly, but sent me a personal message, and was really cool when i thanked him for selling it for a more reasonable price than everyone else. i am so excited!!!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Another record came in the mail today, but the label on side A is all torn, and part of it has shifted out on top of the grooves, where it stuck. Any suggestions on getting it unstuck? Think those grooves would be playable even if I did get it off?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Another record came in the mail today, but the label on side A is all torn, and part of it has shifted out on top of the grooves, where it stuck. Any suggestions on getting it unstuck? Think those grooves would be playable even if I did get it off?
    That is pretty fucking weird - labels aren't actually glued on, they're pressed onto the record with the grooves, so they're sealed in place. Looks like that's an issue from actual printing. Getting it off is gonna be hard, something like heavily diluted acetone could work, but that will tarnish the record too. Personally I'd just get a refund if possible, because that's not really playable anymore.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That is pretty fucking weird - labels aren't actually glued on, they're pressed onto the record with the grooves, so they're sealed in place. Looks like that's an issue from actual printing. Getting it off is gonna be hard, something like heavily diluted acetone could work, but that will tarnish the record too. Personally I'd just get a refund if possible, because that's not really playable anymore.
    I asked for a partial refund, as I don't feel like shipping it back, and the seller replied immediately, fully refunding me. I'm bummed, but it was a double of one of the albums in the pictures I posted yesterday that I bought because it was such a good deal that I couldn't resist. So it's not the end of the world.