Page 3 of 195 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    hey bgal, you might want to pick up that copy of Still if its there when you go back. There is a copy of Gemm.com selling for $125

http://www.gemm.com/item/JOY%2520DIV.../GML759725801/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    well, if it's of any consolation, gemm gouges the shit out of things. actual retail value of something like that would be $60-70 MAX. $25 is a good deal. $125 is an obvious price gouge that only the ill-informed and desperate will pay. patience usually prevails, though.

if you guys ever want to see the general going rate of things, check popsike.com. generally gets an average on rare items that sell over $25. of course you can get lucky depending on tags (got a $100 7'' for $5 once) and sometimes, it goes higher, but it's the closest to a price guide i can think of.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    ^^^
    THATS the name of the site!!! I've been looking for that place for a while now and I couldn't remember the address. Thanks!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I got HLAH at Waterloo's, it was in the unsorted recent arrivals bin in between some hair metal records.

Man, I had a feeling that the Joy Division find might have been good, but wasn't sure where to look to confirm. My decision to pass was based partially on the review of the album itself. This was at Antone's.

I'm back in Boston now, so it will get to be someone else's prize

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Started seriously collecting maybe 10-15 years ago. I have 2 munchkins at home, so the money for vinyl doesn't come up often, but i try to buy something once a month or so.

My discogs is here: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=mattyc910

First vinyl i bought for myself (outside of having inherited my mom's collection she was going to dump out) was El Oso by Soul Coughing released in 1998. I got it signed by the band later that year. Next was probably The Fragile, which i think i paid 25 bucks retail for brand new the week it came out.

I listen to my records when i can, and try to keep them in nice shape. I am already trying to teach my 3 year old about vinyl, and proper care and use. The collection is going in the will to my daughters, so i might as well teach them to respect the format.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I still need to update my WHOLE collection on discogs. At this point it only has my NIN stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    found some bargains today

Ian Flemings 007 James Bond Thrillers!! - The Zero Zero Seven Band 50p (used)
    Originalaufnahmen Das Waren Hits II 50p (used)
    Hollywood Mon Amour £4.99 (new)

The James Bond one is great for a saturday afternoon

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    just picked up
    sonic youth - the eternal
    jesus and mary chain - stoned and dethroned

at amoeba in berkeley when i was there this week.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    418454901418.jpg

Karen Elson - Milk and Honey 7" RSD colored vinyl

EDIT: I found that there are a few different versions of this single. There is a Honey colored version, Yellow version and a standard Black version. I have the Honey version.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 07-23-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Toned down the yellow

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I have the same version!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Sweet jesus --------------------------------------------^

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    We salute You!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    So way back in 1995, Capitol released a limited edition reissue of all the Beatles' UK albums as a set. I asked for and got this as a birthday present, thinking I would frame the albums. I didn't, and instead the set sat in a box for years (also, instead of Sgt. Pepper, I got a second Yellow Submarine ). Anyway, this set also came with a green Norwegian Wood/If I Needed Someone "Jukebox Only" 45, which I've now learned is actually kinda valuable. So that was my exciting [re]find of the day

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Just finished moving into our new place and the vinyl collection has safely made it to the new music room!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wanted to say I have no vinyl, but than I remembered I have In Rainbows and The King of Limbs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure my most recent vinyl purchase is Boy & Girls by Alabama Shakes.
    I also found 2001 Space Odyssey soundtrack and an album by Fats Waller at the goodwill for .90!

What's everyone's best Thriftstore/goodwill find?? Mine would have to be a Mono Copy of Revolver that I paid 90cents for.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    New Additions:

Death Grips - The Money Store
    Julia Holter - Ekstasis
    First Aid Kit - The Big Black & Blue
    Elliott Smith - Either/Or
    Zola Jesus - Stridulum

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Great used finds at Waterloo last night.

I found a copy of Neil Young's 2LP Greatest Hits in pretty much NM condition. The sticker said it's was "dished" and sold as-is. Asked clerk and apparently this means it had too much pressure on the center during manufacturing and so if you hold it up flat it looks like all the sides bow upwards. But I tested it on the store's turntable and it plays fine, no skips or jumps. It even had the red 7" of The Loner/Sugar Mountain in the sleeve. For a LP that retails new for $35-$40, I couldn't pass it up used for $15!!

My girlfriend got Sonic Youth's Dirty in pretty decent condition too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ive got a couple copies of the original neil young greatest hits. decade. both in stellar condition.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I found a copy of Neil Young's 2LP Greatest Hits in pretty much NM condition. The sticker said it's was "dished" and sold as-is. Asked clerk and apparently this means it had too much pressure on the center during manufacturing and so if you hold it up flat it looks like all the sides bow upwards. But I tested it on the store's turntable and it plays fine, no skips or jumps. It even had the red 7" of The Loner/Sugar Mountain in the sleeve. For a LP that retails new for $35-$40, I couldn't pass it up used for $15!!
    that's a $40 record!? sheesh! yeah, i have a few records that look a little warped but play just fine. my copy of l'enfance eternelle's LP (see my avatar) as well as the first modern english album have this issue, but they play perfectly with no skips/jumps etc. i do have one giantly warped record i'm gonna stick in the oven between two plates of glass though. was a free gift if i could fix it, so nothing to lose...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just added:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my copy of Holywood on vinyl is pretty warped. you could almost use the records as serving bowls. one side of each disc plays fine, the other side of each i have to skip the first track because the needle stylus just tumbles down.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    well, if you've got nothing to lose, take two huge plates of thick glass, warm up your oven, and press the record between them. there's instructions online on how to do this (temperature/time specifics) so check into that. i haven't tried personally but know people who have and it works. i mean, what have you got to lose? doesn't play anyway!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Bought some new (used) Technics speakers and a stereo cabinet today! Figured I would break in the new music room with some David Bowie and what better way than playing one of my favorite tracks - The Alt Mix

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Went to Asheville, NC - Harvest Records for their 8th anniversary sale, cds + LPs as low as a dollar! If anyone is near Asheville check them out, the sale runs until 8pm tonight!

Here is what I purchased...

Pink Floyd - The Wall (Music from the Film) 7' = $10
    Blues Brothers - Briefcase full of Blues = $1
    Switched on Bach = $1
    David Bowie - Low = $11
    David Bowie - Station to Station = $8
    The Darkness - Permission to Land = $35

I happened to see Beck's Midnite Vultures LP for $60, I thought about just buying that... But after an hour of thinking about it, I decided my collection would look a little better with the selections I had. Sadly I didn't see any Moby, NIN, or Gary Numan.

EDIT: Just made up a Discogs account, http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=R3PL1CA

EDIT 2: I realized I have a ton of Gary Numan items. I am going to be looking to expand my collection to other artists, maybe start with Beck.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 08-13-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Discogs

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    ^^^
    Oooooh welcome to the addiction that is Discogs. I've spent too much money on that site lol

In other news, I managed to get a copy of Ray of Light (repress) from a friend and it sounds amazing on vinyl

Has anyone picked up the repress of Bowie's OUTSIDE album? I wonder how that sounds

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    My VAULT package came in the mail today!!!!!

As you're removing the inner jacket her dress changes to a different photo. I'm tempted to not open this but will most likely break down and do it. Lol

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the oven plan did not work for me, as the glass i bought is just a few inches too big to fit*. that said, i'm seriously considering this:
    http://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

$100... supposedly works like a dream, with or without the $50 plug-in temperature bag, and is a lot safer than handling/storing two pieces of unprotected glass.

*TWSS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am at a weird point with vinyl. I only buy shit I'll actually listen to nowadays.