Page 189 of 195 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,670 of 5846

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1995 UK promo of "Hey Man Nice Shot" 12" by Filter (I don't think I've heard all the remixes before, just one for mixtape remastering... but I might be wrong)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mobile Fidelity admit to using digital
    I

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1990 UK release of "Vision Thing" by The Sisters Of Mercy... and it came with it's 1991 receipt (looks like at a reduced price year after release)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Mobile Fidelity admit to using digital
    I see lots of people (audiophile dinguses, mainly) losing their minds about this news, but as an engineer myself I don't understand the big deal. A super hi-res digital transfer captures the original source perfectly, if done right, and then the mastering engineer can use that digital transfer to very finely tailor their mastering to an LP they're cutting, as well as to an SACD for those of us still rocking hi-res physical media, or whatever else you wanna hear it played on. Best of both worlds.

When it's recorded well, analogue tape is a great medium for sound, but it's fragile and requires a lot of care and effort to maximize its quality. It doesn't have any intrinsic voodoo magic in it that is suddenly lost when digitized after the fact. Likewise with records: there is nothing prima facie that changes in analogue reproduction formats whether or not the sound has at any point been through a good transparent digital conversion.

But this isn't science, it's religion. So burn the heretics I guess?
    Last edited by botley; 07-22-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm with you, but I also understand the anger cause Mobile Fidelity blatantly deceived their customers, which is wrong.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    just grabbed the new Zola Jesus. .contender for album of the year.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I see lots of people (audiophile dinguses, mainly) losing their minds about this news, but as an engineer myself I don't understand the big deal. A super hi-res digital transfer captures the original source perfectly, if done right, and then the mastering engineer can use that digital transfer to very finely tailor their mastering to an LP they're cutting, as well as to an SACD for those of us still rocking hi-res physical media, or whatever else you wanna hear it played on. Best of both worlds.

When it's recorded well, analogue tape is a great medium for sound, but it's fragile and requires a lot of care and effort to maximize its quality. It doesn't have any intrinsic voodoo magic in it that is suddenly lost when digitized after the fact. Likewise with records: there is nothing prima facie that changes in analogue reproduction formats whether or not the sound has at any point been through a good transparent digital conversion.

But this isn't science, it's religion. So burn the heretics I guess?
    Not seeing the link, is there an article with more info?

I assume, unless it is stated otherwise, that any vinyl record pressed in the last 15 or 20 years is cut from a digital source. I always hope that it's from a hi-res source (higher than CD quality hopefully) so I'm getting some benefit from listening to vinyl. Some releases will state this and mention 24/96, and the ones that say it's cut from analog usually fall all over themselves to state that fact. Even stuff from the 90's was likely cut from a DAT tape which isn't much better than CD.

That's why for me, I'm more interested in collecting vintage records that I know are all analog. Releases from the last 20 years, I either have to really like the music to own it on vinyl, or it needs to have some sort of exclusive factor to it such as the packaging.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Personally, I don't care how it is recorded (I mean, I collect shellac where the recording process is pretty much yelling at a lathe) so much as mastered well for the format. Like, too many modern releases really just seem to put them at half "volume" and we know full well that there's a lot more depth than that (most 45RPM 12" singles are great examples of that). Maybe they are just being "safe" but it always feels a bit unfinished to me.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1995 US 12" release of "Born Slippy" by Underworld

The 1996 US 12" release of "Spin Spin Sugar" by Sneaker Pimps (generic cover)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1997 UK promo 12" of "Ni - Ten - Ichi - Ryu" by Photek

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1985 US 45 RPM 12" release of "All Day / Everyday (Is Halloween)" by Ministry

I wanted a really nice 'o' release to finish up a new mixtape...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This week's edition of Friday treats...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    @Mr. Blaileen waiting on my Brooklyn Vegan variant of the new Primus to show up!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    @Mr. Blaileen waiting on my Brooklyn Vegan variant of the new Primus to show up!
    Nice! That splatter variant looks awesome.

I'm working from home today so I'm about to throw these on and listen. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 2022 US purple platter release of "Denim & Rhinestones" by Carrie Underwood (my beloved is a fan and has been picking up her release on vinyl...)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Here's a great article explaining the whole Mobile Fidelity vinyl debacle: https://www.washingtonpost.com/music...gital-scandal/

Thanks to @Leviathant for sharing on Twitter.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Thanks to @Leviathant for sharing on Twitter.
    It fills me with glee. There are idiots who've proclaimed to have golden ears, and they've been listening to and advocating for vinyl cut from digitized masters since 2008.

Look, I have a bunch of records, I enjoy the aspect of pulling out a record and having a listen, and I'm even thinking about buying a nicer turntable now that I'm in my fucking 40s, but I have no patience for analog voodoo mumbo jumbo.

If you like how it sounds, great! If you're not involved in the creation process, maybe don't pretend to know what really works.

Now, if this company's been charging a premium while maintaining a false narrative, that's a little more tricky, but at the same time, I sometimes wish I were less ethically inclined when it comes to audiophiles. If there's someone out there spending five figures on pre-amps and dumb wood carvings to go with their cryo-treated RCA cables, I see the attraction of wanting to part a fool with their money. Trouble is, you have to be pretty dishonest, and you have to stick with that. Even with as much schadenfreude as I get out of things like this (or the hilarious saga of the THX certified Lexicon BD-30), I still couldn't bring myself to lie to people like that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I have a few MFSL vinyl pressings, they do sound good but not better than hi-res digital can sound (even their own SACDs, which I guess now we know are basically the same thing). Mind you, their '79 vinyl cut of Dark Side of the Moon is pretty well the best I've ever heard it sound... but that was of course produced forty-three years ago.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The only OG MFSL vinyl I have is Grateful Dead's From The Mars Hotel. I have a slew of gold jazz CDs I purchased in the 90s that are either Mobile Fidelity or DCC, but they aren't anything to write home about as far as "improvement" or "fidelity".

I've steered clear of the more recent Miles Davis SACD releases because I had a feeling that what was true... was true.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I've steered clear of the more recent Miles Davis SACD releases because I had a feeling that what was true... was true.
    Huh? If it's true they're getting the Miles stuff from Sony in DSD, why would making an SACD from tape transferred at its native resolution be reason to steer clear? I only recently got Filles de Kilimanjaro from that series but it sounds pretty darn good to me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    that was a wild ride from start to finish to author bio.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think one thing some people tend to forget is that getting a high resolution version of a recording is important, but as long as it's AT LEAST in CD quality, then I think that whatever mastering is done is probably more important to how it sounds. Example: I'd rather have original CD of Nirvana's Nevermind than a hi-res file that has been near brickwall remastered.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Finally organized my records that allows me to grow per shelf and pull things easily... everything else is in crates or boxed sets.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Huh? If it's true they're getting the Miles stuff from Sony in DSD, why would making an SACD from tape transferred at its native resolution be reason to steer clear? I only recently got Filles de Kilimanjaro from that series but it sounds pretty darn good to me.
    Thanks, I'll have to check some of them out; my reasoning obviously stemmed from a misunderstanding of how these were being done.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1996 12" US single release of "6 Underground" by Sneaker Pimps.

it's a shame that the 2008 DMM remastered version of the album "Becoming X" had the new versions of the some of the songs on them... not that they sound bad just I wanted the originals... and so I buy the 12" singles.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 2012 45 RPM 200g remastered "The Doors" by The Doors, still sealed.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Two posts...

1. the 1975 Canadian release of "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart
    2. the 1981 Canadian release of "Greatest Hits" by Queen
    3. the 2016 180g remastered US release of "Wish You Where Here" by Pink Floyd

All re-buys because of "reasons".

1. the 1989 Canadian release of "Alannah Miles" by Alannah Miles
    2. the 1986 Canadian self-released of "I'm An Adult Now" by The Pursuit Of Happiness (two years before the first album and re-worked version of the song)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Anyone rocking a vintage dual 505 turntable? I think I finally need a new stylus and I’m looking at my options: straight replacement ortofon dn165 e, or upgrade to an ortofon cartridge? And if I do that, how does the superOM’s default stylus compare to option A? It gives me the option of upgrading further, if it’s worthwhile.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The new Sleep's Dopesmoker reissue with marijuana leaves pressed inside the vinyl is amazing. If I lived in Detroit I'd certainly be picking a copy up (because of the marijuana this item can't be shipped outside Michigan).

(For some reason I can't embed the IG post, here's the link)

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChkH_wAL...on_share_sheet
    Last edited by cahernandez; 08-23-2022 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

The 1970 UK release of "How Can I Be Sure" by Dusty Springfield... which I bought for the B-Side; "Spooky". Again for remastering mixtapes purposes... did I, strictly speaking, need this? No... but oddly it's a song not on any original 12" releases that I can find.