Results 4,681 to 4,710 of 5839

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Finally got my copy of the Machina II bootleg box that's floating around out there. I must say, a few type errors aside (Dross Alt isn't listed on the back of the box), the thing is rather nicely assembled and sounds legitimately fucking great.

Here's a gallery I made of the thing

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Mail day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Such a classic-looking cover... I'll get into it in a few days after I've finished up with this African Head Charge stuff.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    How to properly file your vinyl collection

Generally I agree with everything in there (and while he mentions soundtracks, I'd expand that to also include "Various"... it needs its own separate section).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    How to properly file your vinyl collection

Generally I agree with everything in there (and while he mentions soundtracks, I'd expand that to also include "Various"... it needs its own separate section).
    some of this article comes off a little pretentious but some of the points are good.

Vinyl should be kept off the floor (water, kids, pets) and should always be stacked vertically.
    really hope this gets edited to say "filed horizontally" because that is definitely wrong

i also file compilation albums / soundtracks / etc. alphabetically by title, just like artists, and not in their own section.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    really hope this gets edited to say "filed horizontally" because that is definitely wrong
    I think he has it right, vertically (or up right)... horizontally would mean flat, to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I think he has it right, vertically (or up right)... horizontally would mean flat, to me.
    "stacked vertically" to me means, like, stacked in a pile from bottom to top. "filed vertically" would be fine i guess because that implies the records are standing up, but i still think "filed horizontally" makes the most sense because it implies "from left to right". idunno, the language is misleading, i guess.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Yeah I agree. You could read horizontally or vertically both ways (!) but stacked means one way only... the wrong way

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That was entertaining thanks. However if you had to choose the most important or influential you’d have to include “Amen”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That was entertaining thanks. However if you had to choose the most important or influential you’d have to include “Amen”
    I mean, in general I agree but that podcast is called the "Ongoing History of New Music", which in this case, by definition excludes most music considered purely Rock N Roll (or most "mainstream" Pop music...).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm guessing Jon is referring to the break in the 1969 soul track 'Amen, Brother', which gave birth to jungle and dnb.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I gotta say I can't wait for the vinyl store to be open again. At the very least let me do curbside pickup? I mean I'd rather wait outside the shop for you to hand it to me instead of waiting because you have to ship it to Tacoma just to have it come back here. That shit's for the birds.

You'd think that Portland would have a hub but apparently it does not.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    At the very least let me do curbside pickup?
    Where I am, there's at least two stores doing curb side pick-up. My problem is that some of the things I want still need to be brought in... but I also want to support the stores, so yeah, I order through them and wait and then pick it up. Still... gotta wait.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I asked for my last order and she said that since Inslee said she's not essential she can't do it, she has to ship everything. And the store is just small enough to A) fit inside my living room and B) not have a website to browse titles so you have to call to see if she has anything.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I mean, in general I agree but that podcast is called the "Ongoing History of New Music", which in this case, by definition excludes most music considered purely Rock N Roll (or most "mainstream" Pop music...).
    I’m a little confused, all 9 takes were pop/rock..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'm guessing Jon is referring to the break in the 1969 soul track 'Amen, Brother', which gave birth to jungle and dnb.

That’s the one yeah. My mistake calling it just “Amen”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I’m a little confused, all 9 takes were pop/rock..
    Ah, this is where nuance comes in... for example, while XTC is rock, it is not the same rock as say, Bon Jovi (or Bruce Springsteen).
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-12-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Ah, this is here nuance comes in... for example, while XTC is good, it is not the same rock as say, Bon Jovi (which is not good).
    fixed that for you

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    forgot to keep posting my quarantine jam spins!

i put blonde redhead's 23 in between a couple records from my last post, and so here's the rest of what i listened to since then:

pts. 61-80

rosetta • a determinism of morality
    wolves in the throne room • thrice woven
    mastodon • crack the skye
    the mars volta • octahedron
    red sparowes • the fear is excruciating but therein lies the answer
    david bowie • blackstar
    gary numan • telekon
    john carpenter & alan howarth • prince of darkness
    radiohead • kid A
    björk • homogenic
    austra • feel it break
    the faint • danse macabre
    circia survive • juturna
    thrice • vheissu
    the cinematic orchestra • every day
    john coltrane • a love supreme
    archie shepp • four for trane
    nin • bad witch
    naked city (john zorn) • naked city
    imperial triumphant • vile luxury

and here's a spotify playlist based on jams 41-80 - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1j...SBekBP_JBOOMwg
    this time i did it in listening order. unfortunately there were two albums unavailable on spotify so i had to skip a song from each :/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    *looks up title online*
    *talks to record store -- record store says they'll look into it -- record store gets back to me and can't order it, might be out of print*
    *orders it from Mondo*

And to make the shipping worth it, ordered a couple of things.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I am so fucking bummed that I haven't gotten my PUSA kickstarter vinyl. I had a good thing going of not ordering anything from Kickstarter after getting shafted on several high profile projects years ago but this one got me back. It's been a month since I got my "shipment" email and it's still in the "Ordered" status. Like, it's not even at "Packaged" at this point because for some fucking reason someone forgot to bring a box with them or something?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I am so fucking bummed that I haven't gotten my PUSA kickstarter vinyl. I had a good thing going of not ordering anything from Kickstarter after getting shafted on several high profile projects years ago but this one got me back. It's been a month since I got my "shipment" email and it's still in the "Ordered" status. Like, it's not even at "Packaged" at this point because for some fucking reason someone forgot to bring a box with them or something?
    Before I even opened this thread, I somehow KNEW your post was about it. Mine shipped on the 5th and has been hanging out in my home state for 6 days! I finally filed a missing package report with USPS today and got this email back- “Your package updated today and you will see it out for delivery next 2 days or sooner. Sorry for the delay.”

Hoping I get it by Saturday. And that it’s not warped to shit. Fingers crossed. I hope you get tracking soon, but I did visit their page and the shipping of the album sounds like a shit show for A LOT of people. I’ll keep you posted!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Mine arrived today - have hope!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Did your shipping status ever change?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Mine did, yes. Should be receiving it today as it’s out for delivery.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I didn't even get an email saying it had shipped - no tracking info or shipping status to check. But it's here, so can't complain.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Really been slowing down on our vinyl purchases since last year. However, my newfound obsession with Kate Bush inspired a Discogs order and a pickup at the local brick-and-mortar.
    Got these in a couple weeks ago:
    Kate Bush - The Dreaming
    Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
    Steve Lacy - Apollo XXI
    The Strokes - The New Abnormal (Red RSD/indie version)

Also pre-ordered the Failure 1992-1996 boxset! Last week they posted an update about approving the test presses, should be going into production soon!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Was shocked at how poorly this thing came packaged and it’s amazing to me it’s not warped and there’s no damage to it.

Sounds great! Very quiet pressing with no surface noise or pops/clicks. Will probably play this version more than the one I have with Bill Clinton on the cover