Page 10 of 195 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    seconded. we had a marantz kicking around for a while that needed repair. wound up passing it on to someone who could make better use of it/fix it up. but when it worked well, it sounded great.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    When buying a vintage amp how do I know if I don't need a Pre amp to go along with it? Am I looking for a receiver then?
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    A Receiver is an amplifier with a tuner built in. You're looking for an amplifier. Unless you want radio, then you're looking for a receiver.

the safest bet if you're unsure is to get a receiver. because it does everything.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I just want it to plug it into my speakers and turntable, that is it. So an amplifier seems like the thing I need but then I see all these vintage preamps on ebay and I think " Do i need to buy that with the amplifier"?
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-15-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I was think maybe this one. Thats pretty steep though.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jolida-Audio-J...m_cr_pr_sims_t
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Hmv is going out of business, im going to clean up tommorow on the vinyl front

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hmv is going out of business, im going to clean up tommorow on the vinyl front
    i had a look in the Oxford Street branch. Most is 25% off, but starting at such high prices anyway...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Easy Street Records in Queen Anne is also closing its doors for those of you in the Seattle area, head on over there as their inventory is 25% off as well

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm sure people are aware that the current sale in HMV UK stores is not strictly to do with it's possible closure. The (up to) 25% off blue cross sale was implimented as HMV's annual sale after it's boxing day sale. News of the business being handed to administrators came only on Monday (14th).
    As it turns out, 60 stores are to close over the UK over the next 12 months. 40 HMV stores, and 20 Waterstones book stores who are also owned by HMV. So, not going out of business as such, at least not immediately, but 10% of their stores will be closing.

Latest news on their troubles can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12117510
    Last edited by Camille; 01-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So I just submitted the following video to ebay for review. What do you guys think?

Also, here are my purchases from today's trip to Easy Street Records:

and this came in the mail. Its cool to see that they kept the separate jackets for each record.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Oh cool I didn't know they did a repress of Mechanical Animals. I have the original pressing of it and it's one of my favorite sets that I own. Did they keep the Translucent Blue/Solid White colors for the actual discs?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Oh cool I didn't know they did a repress of Mechanical Animals. I have the original pressing of it and it's one of my favorite sets that I own. Did they keep the Translucent Blue/Solid White colors for the actual discs?
    Nope, they're pressed on 180g black vinyl

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Impulse purchase, but it's been on my list for years. At one point I wanted it to complete a triad of blue covers (to go with dm enjoy the silence / no true faith) but NIN tdtwwa fits those two well (flower/leaf theme)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    One more piece to go . If anyone knows any specific good amp please shoot me some love : )

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    One more piece to go . If anyone knows any specific good amp please shoot me some love : )
    i don't think anyone addressed this, but you need a pre-amp to go with the amp. if you plug your turntable straight into the amp (depending on what kind of amp you get) you'll have absolutely no control over the volume. you also won't be using the Phono input of a pre-amp, which is the second step of the RIAA curve, and most of your records won't sound the way they should.

just want you to have the best sound you can get!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really think I might be going this direction with one of their pre-amps
    http://www.amazon.com/Jolida-Audio-J..._sc_p_t_2_9K97

This is fucking costing me an arm and a leg. After all is said and done I might have to upgrade my speakers.
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    very tempting
    http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/46802.htm

"War Child Heroes Volume 1 15x7inch Box Set Limited 5000 Worldwide"
    NOW £14.99! Save £40.00

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm currently selling off a majority of my collection for travel funds. A lot of it is drone, post-rock and metal. A lot of it is already gone but you can find an updated list below on my thread on vinylcollective

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/to...ostrock-metal/

PM here if there is anything you are interested in.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Provocative, not sure if I posted this before, if so apologies. Pere Ubu on why they sound better NOT on vinyl: http://ubuprojex.net/facts/bugs.html#vinyl

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Provocative, not sure if I posted this before, if so apologies. Pere Ubu on why they sound better NOT on vinyl: http://ubuprojex.net/facts/bugs.html#vinyl
    that's an interesting read, and good points are made, but i still love vinyl...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I just got the re-issues of windowlicker for 6.99, FUCKING STEAL . Cant wait till the re-issue of Drukqs.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Finally got a receiver and speakers to go with my turntable. Listening to Year zero remixed on an HK with some really old and well made speakers.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I just got the re-issues of windowlicker for 6.99, FUCKING STEAL . Cant wait till the re-issue of Drukqs.
    wait, they're reissuing drukqs?!? i have the original vinyl box set...are they reissuing it the same as the original? half the album on 12" 45s and half on 12" 33s?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I've not managed to get into druqks. M

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, they're reissuing drukqs?!? i have the original vinyl box set...are they reissuing it the same as the original? half the album on 12" 45s and half on 12" 33s?
    No word on it but Warp are slowly re-issueung his albums. I have already bought three of the re-issues

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I've not managed to get into druqks. I'm looking to pick up selected ambient works vol 2 but probably just on digital.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I've not managed to get into druqks. I'm looking to pick up selected ambient works vol 2 but probably just on digital.
    oh, i'll definitely be getting that one on vinyl.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Came home yesterday to see this just sitting out in our common area at my complex.....not sure if it works but ill find out later today

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Vinyl Collectors Unite!

I might try selling off a bunch of vinyl to finance some other things. Got a lot of white stripes 7 inches unopened that might be worth a bob or two if I'm lucky. Maybe I should let the fragile go too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Send me a list I might buy some from you. I am not a fan of the strips though.

I have something big coming in the mail. Cant wait to post the pics on here. when I say big I mean 700 dollars big. << Not a vinyl BTW