Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Power pop!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Power pop!!!

    Get your plate, 'cos we're serving up killer choruses and red-hot guitar riffs all day long for cheap. Power pop started out in the '60s - Pete Townshend from The Who is credited with coining the term to refer to the music of The Who (circa mid-to-late 60s), Small Faces, early Beach Boys, etc. The genre's first true masters, as far as I'm concerned, are Badfinger. If I were a fascist dictator, I'd make every guitar band learn twenty Badfinger songs before letting them record or play live. Paul McCartney wrote this tune:

    http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...re=related</a>

    Here's Dwight Twilley with "I'm on Fire", circa '75. I've got his first album on vinyl and guess what? It shreds.



    Everybody knows "Ballroom Blitz", but "Teenage Rampage", from Sweet, is much more fun.



    The Raspberries have been sadly overlooked by rock writers, but they kicked ass too.



    Circa the late '70s, the term came to be applied to the music of Elvis Costello and other purveyors of poppier punk rock and new wave. One of my favourite songs of all time came from that period, "Another Girl, Another Planet" by the Only Ones. IMO, their Even Serpents Shine is a perfect record.



    The Cars and Blondie, while not strictly power pop, had done their homework and aced the tests when it came to the style:





    The Innocents are also sadly overlooked but absolutely worth hearing.



    And that's just the past stuff. Power pop has flourished from the '90s to the 2000s, coming up in unlikely places like Canada with Sloan and Thrush Hermit...




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ...and Scotland with early Teenage Fanclub.



    Everybody wants to talk 90s bands these days, but nobody wants to talk Jellyfish. Are the hats too embarrassing?



    Scandinavia caught the power-pop bug midway through the 90s; if you don't know the Wannadies, get acquainted.



    This track by Silver Sun underwent a brief revival thanks to being featured in a TV spot:



    That should be enough to go on for a while. I'm still a bit of a dilettante when it comes to this genre, though, so if you've dug deeper than me, or if I've missed some obvious spots, we'd love to hear from you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    When I think of Power Pop I link it to Pop Punk and the joke that is Warped Tour post 2001.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    great call on the only ones song. i never really loved all their material, but that's a cracking tune for sure. i also have some love for the sweet--- my go-to as a kid was always 'little willy,' which appears in the dictionary next to the word "earworm."

    i hate to go for the obvious one, but i can't help but love all four minutes and fifteen seconds of this classic:



    and the equally great (and from the same time period as the only ones) single by the undertones:



    and of course if you count stuff like big star/replacements/etc. then definitely a pass. as a new wave collector, i've often purchased a 7'' from the early 1980s out of the blue only to find it more in the power pop style than the minimal synth/darkwave genre i'm looking for, so i have a skewed take on this stuff. pleasant hybrids i've discovered though include VHF's 'first impressions' and inbase's 'christine' both worth a peek if you want to hear something more on the wave tip of things.

    otherwise, british power pop was more like buzzcocks (ever fallen in love), the jam (eton rifles, butterfly collector, town called malice), no? that stuff is great, too, whatever you wanna call it. punk, yeah... but in that same poppier field as the only ones.

    uh, and i kind of love one gin blossoms song ('found out about you') if that qualifies. they were kind of going for that REM thing, who were kind of going for that kinks/soft boys thing too, but wound up on the flip side of the coin. i LOVE all things jangly from the 80s, but that's another genre all together i guess. maybe i should start a thread on jangle pop.

    ramble ramble, go to bed, frank.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When I think of Power Pop I link it to Pop Punk and the joke that is Warped Tour post 2001.
    And you can do that, but it's a lot like saying, "When I think of techno, I think of Moby". That is, ignorant.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    as a new wave collector, i've often purchased a 7'' from the early 1980s out of the blue only to find it more in the power pop style than the minimal synth/darkwave genre i'm looking for, so i have a skewed take on this stuff. pleasant hybrids i've discovered though include VHF's 'first impressions' and inbase's 'christine' both worth a peek if you want to hear something more on the wave tip of things.

    otherwise, british power pop was more like buzzcocks (ever fallen in love), the jam (eton rifles, butterfly collector, town called malice), no? that stuff is great, too, whatever you wanna call it. punk, yeah... but in that same poppier field as the only ones.

    uh, and i kind of love one gin blossoms song ('found out about you') if that qualifies. they were kind of going for that REM thing, who were kind of going for that kinks/soft boys thing too, but wound up on the flip side of the coin. i LOVE all things jangly from the 80s, but that's another genre all together i guess. maybe i should start a thread on jangle pop.

    ramble ramble, go to bed, frank.
    Yes, this stuff is completely stellar. And please, please do start a jangle pop thread. Maybe we'll need another one yet for 90s-era twee stuff.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    What the hell, all this talk of power pop and no mention of this...


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,769
    Mentioned
    783 Post(s)
    I just turned to G and asked:

    "When I say 'power pop,' what band do you think of?"

    And he said, without hesitation, Cheap Trick.



    (we know kids around here named "Zander" because of Robin. Wtf.)
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 06-01-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: grammar

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,769
    Mentioned
    783 Post(s)
    My personal vote is The Knack :



    RIP Doug Fieger :-(

    I'm totally with you on the Badfinger.

    However, you can't get any more power pop than the Beatles.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 06-01-2012 at 03:45 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    And you can do that, but it's a lot like saying, "When I think of techno, I think of Moby". That is, ignorant.
    It was a bad joke, LOL.

    In all seriousness, not really a fan of any "Power Pop" music or bands.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    In all seriousness, not really a fan of any "Power Pop" music or bands.
    Well, thank you SO MUCH for your contribution, then! I'll see you in the Queens of the Stone Age thread, where I'll make a couple lame jokes and then say that I don't listen to them and never will!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Well, thank you SO MUCH for your contribution, then! I'll see you in the Queens of the Stone Age thread, where I'll make a couple lame jokes and then say that I don't listen to them and never will!
    Ok, see you around.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hahaha, you're so FUNNY!!! You ever seen Ever After? It's kind of a teen girl movie, but whatever. Angelica Houston's in it, she plays a wicked-stepmother character, and at one point she quotes a Spanish proverb: "Don't speak, unless you can improve on the silence". If they taught that worldwide at the kindergarten level, we wouldn't have so much of a problem with these gibbering voices from the fuckin' peanut gallery!

    It's a brand new morning, ETS! Let's wake up in style with some fuckin' POWER POP, YEEAAAHHHH!!!!






  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's an awesome article from the Village Voice that's relevant to our interests. Can't believe I forgot the Plimsouls.

Posting Permissions