Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Doom

Back in the way-back-when, before the long-long-ago, the FPS genre was dominated by one title, Doom. In its many iterations, id Software's horrific shooter seduced gamers with its BFG, shotgun, and gore.

Today, Bethesda has announced DOOM 3 BFG Edition which is set to include Doom, Doom II: Hell on Earth, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the ‘Lost Mission'. All of the DOOM 3 content will be remastered in 3D for the 360.

The remastered goodness is on display in the reveal trailer.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition is set for a retail release this fall.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thank you god!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I haven't noticed any visual improvement* in this trailer...

______
    *i played Doom3 on highest detail that unmodified game allows (no texture packs etc.)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    s'pretty rad.. I hope its kinda cheap, Doom 3 was good, though my computer at the time never ran it well, once things got too hectic I had to stop playing due to the framerate. I could just find the discs, I'm sure it would run now but I think I lost disc 4...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    By the beard of Zeus! On the one hand, I can't wait to play through the 'lost mission'. On the other hand, it'll almost certainly mean giving my mod an extremely thorough colonoscopy. Yay.
    Supposedly the graphics will be "greatly enhanced", but I can't really see much difference in that trailer. The lighting may be a little sleeker, but the textures are still just as wincingly low-resolution. Then again, I'm not entirely sure it represents the final build, as allegedly the game now includes a "new armor-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time," but it's not shown during the gameplay.

I think I see a new demon at 35s - looks a little like a Wraith, but the movement and sounds are wrong.
    Massively brightened for ease of viewing:

I'm in a bit of a minority in that I absolutely adore Doom 3, even more than its predecessors. Surprised and delighted to see it getting some love. I'm not sure what to make about the always-on flashlight though - I've tried modding it into the game and it kills a lot of tension, and exposes the low texture resolution. More optimistic about the checkpoint system though, because quicksaving does spoil the immersion a little. I just hope they don't broadcast 'CHECKPOINT!' on the HUD, because that's every bit as damaging.

There's a great article on the release here, by the way.

:edit: I think that probably is a Wraith, actually. Must see if I can find those sounds. According to the article there is a new boss creature in there though.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 05-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I never had a problem with Doom 3, i just hated the fucking spider demons.. i think there were the two different ones.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll end up getting this. If only for the fact that my copy of Doom went missing ages ago and I haven't played Doom 3 for...shit, ever. It'll be good to have it again

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is this going to be just for the Xbox or will the PS3 get some love too?

Just read article, it will. I actually really liked the spooky music for the Doom game on PS1
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    XBOX360 and PS3. What excites me about that is when I played 3 on the PC I only had stereo sound. If this gets what is typical on 360 games, Dolby Digital, I'm expecting this will be audio awesomeness.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I want some crazy motherfuckers to get together and make Doom: Source. Imagine original Doom with Half-Life 2 power?! 8=======D

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    I want some crazy motherfuckers to get together and make Doom: Source. Imagine original Doom with Half-Life 2 power?! 8=======D
    Well, Doom 3's IdTech 4 is the same generation as Source. Admittedly the latter's crept ahead a bit with the Orange Box update adding HDR lighting and detailed skyboxes, but IT4 has a few features that still elude Valve, such as partical effects (with practical applications - none of Source's bullshit hitbox problems as Doom 3's hits are calculated versus the actual character model) and dynamic lighting.

There's a D3 total conversion out there which allows you to play Doom's shareware levels, might want to give that a try.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Am I the only person getting completely bloody sick of HD remakes?

This can fuck off.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post

This can fuck off.
    I can see why you would but I'm not. I haven't played any DOOM games at all, ever on any system. It gives great game series opportunities to those that never experienced it first hand.

I'll definitely buy this the first day it's availible.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I can see why you would but I'm not. I haven't played any DOOM games at all, ever on any system. It gives great game series opportunities to those that never experienced it first hand.

I'll definitely buy this the first day it's availible.
    This. I've never played Doom, ever. So I may invest in this so see what all the hype is about. Never really played any of the older FPS games (Quake, etc.).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

This can fuck off.
    Whereas I wouldn't go this far, I feel ya. Having played all of them (going back to the first when I was in school), all it's going to take is for someone who hasn't to have played just one recent shooter and they'll probably find this dull even with the 'new and improved' version. What some maybe don't remember is that this, and other early games like Duke Nukem 3D were slow. Really slow, especially in comparison. They were fairly cumbersome to move, and someone raised on 360 and PS3 would possibly find these a little behind.

On a whim, I torrented and played Duke Nukem 3D like half a year back thinking 'Oh shit, my friends and I had some sick ass deathmatches in Hotel Hell back in junior high!' etc. etc. Played it for about 2 minutes and thought 'Holy shit this is awful.'

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Whereas I wouldn't go this far, I feel ya. Having played all of them (going back to the first when I was in school), all it's going to take is for someone who hasn't to have played just one recent shooter and they'll probably find this dull even with the 'new and improved' version. What some maybe don't remember is that this, and other early games like Duke Nukem 3D were slow. Really slow, especially in comparison. They were fairly cumbersome to move, and someone raised on 360 and PS3 would possibly find these a little behind.

On a whim, I torrented and played Duke Nukem 3D like half a year back thinking 'Oh shit, my friends and I had some sick ass deathmatches in Hotel Hell back in junior high!' etc. etc. Played it for about 2 minutes and thought 'Holy shit this is awful.'
    slow? you gotta be joking. man let me tell you a true story. a few years back i showed Doom2 to a friend who mainly played CounterStrike, DeltaForce, and Q3 and he told me "oh, i can't keep up with what's going on, this game is so fast, how can you run 200 m distance in 5 seconds while shooting up monsters?" (and before you ask - no, i didn't use -turbo switch).
    many modern games slowed down player movement. paths are narrower, and more twisted (crouch here, climb ladder there, don't fall off the tiny plank, etc.)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Most shooters i used to play have managed to endure the test of time. i still have as much fun as i did back in the days playing games such as Quake or Rogue Spear, which unlike many shooters today, require some serious skill.
    i've yet to try Duke Nukem again though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

This can fuck off.
    Eh... I like them.

I got a chance to try silent hill 2, Ico, and I'm going to get to revisit ZOE and try ZOE 2. Sure my PS3 is backwards compatable, but the HD upgrade is nice. And the extra compatibility is too.

Furhtermore, the PSP God of War games have made it to HD remakes, and someone stole my original god of wars, so these are most welcome for me!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    fuck doom, time for Quake 5, and no strogg bullshit this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm all for HD remakes and shit. I missed A LOT of games when i was growing up, DMC and Silent Hill both.

Not this though, I played the fuck out of this game. Now I get to play it while talking to my friends. Still gonna scare the shit outta me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    After everything I heard about the Silent Hill collection, I ended up tracking down the original SH 2 and 3 for PS2. Now all I need is to find my PS2...But anyway, I'm mostly for the remakes. I guess it was inevitable, but I'm in the same boat as twilight explosion. I missed out on a lot of the games being re-released now, so for me it's a good chance to get to play them on a system I commonly use. I've only bought the DMC and MGS remakes, but I like knowing that I can go play some of the games I never took the chance to. But ANYWAY....

Personally, the real draw-in for me with this Doom release is that it comes with 1 and 2, and Resurrection. If it was just Doom 3 and some bonus content related to that, I'd probably shrug this off.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    >never played doom

does not compute

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    This looks awesome!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    If memory serves correctly - and a quick google search didn't give me an answer - the Doom 3 engine (aka idTech4) was not multicore CPU capable. That was first added to the idTech4 engine for Quake 4, a year or two after D3. Assuming reboot gets multicore ability for PC, that enhancement alone should make D3 a whole lot smoother - maybe take some load off the GPU here and there.

I played the hell out of Doom 3. Very dark game, both appearance and story. Not sure what to expect with the reboot but I will definitely dig in.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Never bothered with Doom, or any of the older FPS. Always hard a hard time figuring out where to go (wolfenstein 3d in particular) .

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Never bothered with Doom, or any of the older FPS. Always hard a hard time figuring out where to go (wolfenstein 3d in particular) .
    Wolfenstein is understandable, because it really was just a random jumple of rooms and corridors, pretty much. Doom, though- while it can be confusing- has a more defined goal.
    I never played deathmatch Doom OR Duke Nukem, and just a bit of Quake. I really started my multiplayer "career" with Counterstrike and Day of Defeat!

As for Duke Nukem, I'll have to grab a copy and play it again just for the hell of it. If only I could find some of my old maps...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i dunno, i got both doom games for the xbox arcade (digital downloads) and found them just as fast and furious and fun as i remembered. the deathmatch was a little clunky, but i can't tell if that was the game's fault or the xbox live connection/lack of steady multiplayers. i mean, that has to be better than playing over dial up...

the combination of nostalgia & adrenalin with these games still delivers.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-31-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yeah, coming into a pitch black room and hearing a bunch of imps start roaring can still give me chill!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    doom 64 was also stellar, but it's been ages since i popped that bad boy in... wish that would get a virtual console download. would buy that again in a heartbeat!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Having Trent actually do some of the sound effects / music would be perfect, I can dream