Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Doom

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Just a heads up, the standard edition of this game is currently on sale at Amazon for $19.99 and the collector's edition is roughly 50% off depending on what format you want.

@Leviathant - Now is the time to finally pick this up!
    TIMP, you're a trooper, but I bought that shit pretty soon after it came out. As a software developer myself, I was happy to pay full price, because the team clearly did a wonderful job.

Now I just need a video card that can handle playback at a decent FPS

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Now I just need a video card
    I'd send you a 7870 card for like $99, but considering the overseas shipping rates, and the time it takes... nah

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    TIMP, you're a trooper, but I bought that shit pretty soon after it came out. As a software developer myself, I was happy to pay full price, because the team clearly did a wonderful job.

Now I just need a video card that can handle playback at a decent FPS
    I went back just now and saw your post about pulling the trigger via STEAM. Glad you finally got it, I remember you being on the fense for a while so that's why I posted up about the sale.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I figured this would be a somewhat appropriate thread for this 90s throwback FPS.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just picked this up from Amazon for only $20.00! Cannot wait to dive into this!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The official soundtrack to Doom just released in digital form and it's as good as I expected. Hopefully this leads to physical format in the near future. Standout tracks to me are Skullhacker, Rip & Tear, BFG Division, Harbinger.
    Spotify:https://play.spotify.com/album/0KQyC28P9808r0oKKNgHvp
    iTunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/do...k/id1157733728
    Google Play:https://play.google.com/store/music/...tacv56xhlfdz4m

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    As much as i enjoy the score i kinda wish it was more melodic and hummable like the scores for the original Doom and Doom 2 were but it is def some good tuneage!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Never played the game but just listened to a few tracks for the first time. Nobody told me how NIN-inspired the soundtrack is. That's some in-your-face fucking hardcore music!

Starting at 6:15, you can't really go for more NIN than that. The distorted guitars remind me a bit of The Fragile.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Not sure about NIN in particular, but the music is certainly every bit as much of an adrenaline-ODing industrial demon fisting orgy as the game is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd love to play this game, reading your comments makes me thing back to the old Doom and Quake days... Such great times and so much fun. I used to play Quake to death.
    Just not sure I have anything remotely powerful to play it unless my Macbook Pro can play it in some low res.

Maybe time to check for a new PC upgrade.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This game is going to be amazing, it looks like they are improving what they did with Doom 2016 and made it even more brutal.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I picked up a used "Founders Edition" Geforce GTX970 and am currently replaying Doom 2016 at the correct framerate in anticipation of the Eternal.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I loved Doom SOOOOOO much, just the perfect FPS and an absolute BANGIN' score!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm an enormous classic doom nerd (willing to bet the biggest on this board at least) and yet the new games leave me cold. I can see they are great games, just not for me. How weird is that?

Mildly sad that the classic official ports to switch are sub standard. Some of my code is in the home brew port which seems to be of higher quality.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    ^

I can see the Nu-Doom being not as memorable be it from the imagery, the score or sound effects, those classic games have been ingrained in us for so long.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm definitely susceptible to nostalgia around the classic games, but I think there's more to it in this case. My take is that the nu doom games take one aspect of the classics: the violence, and run with that: and also make more sense in a modern context by differentiation from the cover shooters which had apparently all but taken over the genre. I haven't played any modern shooter so that differentiation was lost on me; And the violence/gore of classic doom wasn't the most important facet, and indeed many of the important facets have not been reproduced in nu doom (the approach to music and explicit support for modding for two. Snap map was an attempt to capture that which they've now jettisoned for doom eternal. Telling that it was the last thing Carmack worked on. Also the idea you are an everyman and the notion of fear and suspense.)

So I disagree that it is *only* nostalgia that might make someone prefer the classics, because the nu games don't try to do all the things the classic games did. But by choice. And they are no doubt great games for someone: perhaps people who have played and tired of more modern cover shooters. But I've become convinced they're not for me.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hmm, what other aspects do you think they could have focused more on? @jmtd - I agree on the lack of mod support and i def expressed sentiments wishing the music was more of a melodic nature.

They're certainly steering the ship in a better direction than what we got with Doom 3 at least (which i didn't think was a bad game on it's own, just not a good DOOM game), the gameplay is faster and the environments are more opened up instead of being nothing but corridors. You must find the rip and tear melee feature to be super satisfying though, yeah? Perhaps it was relied on a little too much to sell the game.

The textures for hell could have brought back some H.R. Giger surrealist craziness, instead it's a pretty uninspired style i think.

I feel like too many shooters are held back because they end up being made with console players in mind, I guess we can blame Halo and Call of Duty for that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Hmm, what other aspects do you think they could have focused more on? @jmtd - I agree on the lack of mod support and i def expressed sentiments wishing the music was more of a melodic nature.
    Those are the two biggies for me. And also the presentation of the player as a superhuman rather than an everyman, which is a deliberate choice but not one I'm particularly drawn to.

They're certainly steering the ship in a better direction than what we got with Doom 3 at least (which i didn't think was a bad game on it's own, just not a good DOOM game), the gameplay is faster and the environments are more opened up instead of being nothing but corridors. You must find the rip and tear melee feature to be super satisfying though, yeah? Perhaps it was relied on a little too much to sell the game.
    I'd say if you didn't like the melee then you didn't like the game, it's pretty integral. I agree re Doom 3, I didn't like it at all. But they've gone from one extreme to the other a bit: from all corridors, to all arenas In the classic games there's fun to be had exploring the maps, which doesn't seem to be a focus of the 2016 game. Although they do at least have secrets in them.

The textures for hell could have brought back some H.R. Giger surrealist craziness, instead it's a pretty uninspired style i think.
    Not so sure about the textures and environments, but some of the lower tier monsters are quite dull, the zombies and imps all seem to blend together to me. The higher tier monsters look much more inspired though.

I feel like too many shooters are held back because they end up being made with console players in mind, I guess we can blame Halo and Call of Duty for that.
    I think the game is a response to call of duty ultimately, which is probably exactly what was needed to shake up the genre in the modern era.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I actually quite liked Doom 3. I played the 2016 game for a bit, but it couldn't hold my attention for very long (I only got to about 1/3rds of the way in, or something). It wasn't bad per se, just not my cup of tea. I'm getting back into the classic Doom games since the release of Sigil (Romero's recent mapset, which was pretty good). I read about the new console ports being fairly shitty, with crap soundtracks (music running too slow) and mandatory logins to some stupid Bethesda account. I'll stick to GZDoom and the like, thank you very much. Happy I kept the old cd-roms from back in the day so I can avoid all that stuff. The old games are still fantastic. I also recently replayed Heretic, which I'm particularly nostalgic about since it was probably my first FPS.

Long story short: you can't beat the classics. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I'd love to play this game, reading your comments makes me thing back to the old Doom and Quake days... Such great times and so much fun. I used to play Quake to death.

Quake is what got me into NIN, actually. I still occasionally pop the disc in the cd player. Did that vinyl pressing listed on nin.com actually ever happen? I'd so buy that!
    Last edited by diptych; 08-19-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hey @jmtd check this out!

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topi...roject/?page=1

Doom 2016 demake in Classic Doom haha

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hey @jmtd check this out!

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topi...roject/?page=1

Doom 2016 demake in Classic Doom haha
    Hehe thanks!

Doom 64 for Nintendo switch confirmed today; I'm fairly certain it will be released on other platforms in due course.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    anybody knows of decent Quake conversions for Doom engine?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Do you mean like, quake demakes?

There's a good quake e1m7 in the "requiem" doom map pack. Wow that takes me back to like '97

More recent: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/92574-dimension-of-the-boomed/
    Last edited by jmtd; 09-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Requiem map is in fact what inspired the question, i thought maybe people made guns/monsters replacements too, but then remembered the engine had too limited physics for bouncing grenades or jumping enemies... Nah, forget it

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Dimension of the boomed is really quite impressive but yes, bouncing grenades and jumping etc aren't easily achievable in vanilla doom at least. You *can* get a bouncing effect by giving the lost soul gravity and making it a weapon projectile.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    While I recognize that Mick Gordon's tunes may not be for everyone, to me it feels like Fear Factory, the Tetsuo theme and Broken had an orgy in a pool of blood and lava and 2016's score was what was birthed.

Cannot wait.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 02-14-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Finally got around to finishing the first one. Wound up getting a Platinum for my efforts, along with wanting Eternal to come out even more now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone getting Doom Eternal? I want to but need to get whole new pc built.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    Anyone getting Doom Eternal? I want to but need to get whole new pc built.
    I've had it pre-ordered since the first day it was available to do so.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)