Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Doom

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Don't forget about Doom 64 being ported to current gen, it comes with your pre-order of Doom Eternal but also will be available to purchase separately. I heard it'll be like $5.00? I won't be able to shell out for Eternal right away but i will def be all over 64.

(i also realize 64 has been free in some fashion on PC through roms and modding for some time, however it's nice to have an official release provided it functions as it should though)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Don't forget about Doom 64 being ported to current gen, it comes with your pre-order of Doom Eternal but also will be available to purchase separately. I heard it'll be like $5.00? I won't be able to shell out for Eternal right away but i will def be all over 64.

(i also realize 64 has been free in some fashion on PC through roms and modding for some time, however it's nice to have an official release provided it functions as it should though)
    and this new version comes with new levels!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Is this the one that was it's own Doom, or was that Final Doom for PS?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    D64 was a separate development instead of direct port, it's got its own set of maps, darker graphics and soundtrack, lacks chaingunners, revenants and arch-viles, adds ghost imps, new boss, new gun.

Going to buy just the basic version of Eternal, because not interested in all preorder stuff incl. D64.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Some people even treat it as kind of a true sequel to Doom 2 as opposed to Doom 3.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    My copy of Doom arrived early!

...but i'm still having to travel into the office, so no doom for me

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Some people even treat it as kind of a true sequel to Doom 2 as opposed to Doom 3.
    Doom 3 just sticks out like a sore thumb for me in the series. Eternal is everything I expected it to be... BADASS. Cannot wait to dive into it more later tonight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Opted to put my gun in the centre just like old Doom!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Eternal really asks you to play on a harder difficulty. Hurt me plenty is just way too easy! Started on Ultra Violence.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-21-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Battlemode sucks. I hate there's achievements tied to it too.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm playing Doom 64 and I'm on the third level, Main Engineering, and the music makes prominent use of a sample that's used heavily in Closer (Precursor).

Makes me wonder what the origin of that sample is!

Okay, back to Doom 64.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've never played Doom 64..I always thought it looked so bland and dull and more like the first Quake game than a Doom game.

...but for $5, I might just pick it up on the Switch tomorrow.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Okay, I'm playing Doom 64 and I'm on the third level and the music makes prominent use of a sample that's used heavily in Closer (Precursor).

Okay, back to Doom 64.
    Yeah i could have sworn i recognized a sample in there while i was playing as well only i thought it might have been something from the opening few seconds of Sin.

EDIT: There very well could be more than one, I'm not sure that i picked up on the one from Closer Precursor so maybe the one i heard is in a later level? Hmm let us know if you hear any more!
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-22-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Okay, I'm playing Doom 64 and I'm on the third level, Main Engineering, and the music makes prominent use of a sample that's used heavily in Closer (Precursor).

Okay, back to Doom 64.
    Of course the Doom 64 soundtrack is 3 hours and 43 minutes...

Aubrey Hodges did the music and sound design; based on how he was doing other things at the time I'd guess this is an "alert" or "death" SFX used for one of the creatures in Doom (manipulated, of course). Hell, maybe it's the door opening.

Who wants to sift through thousands of SFX?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I initially didn't like Doom 64 after I downloaded it...but man, I'm hooked now. fun! figuring out the levels can be kind of annoying but that's what makes it addicting at the same time. I'm hooked. It's perfect on the Switch Lite.

after I beat it, I'll download Doom 3, which I've also never played. then I'll move on to the Turok series.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I initially didn't like Doom 64 after I downloaded it...but man, I'm hooked now. fun! figuring out the levels can be kind of annoying but that's what makes it addicting at the same time. I'm hooked. It's perfect on the Switch Lite.

after I beat it, I'll download Doom 3, which I've also never played. then I'll move on to the Turok series.
    It's actually way more fun than I thought it would be...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I agree. stuck on one level though. can't get the yellow key! it's stuck behind a cage and on a block that goes up and down. can't figure out the puzzle lol. still really enjoying it though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I’m enjoying this way more than I expected! I bought animal crossing, Nioh 2 and this and so far I’m enjoying this by far the most. Maybe it will change but I thought Nioh 2 was going to be the game that sucked my life away but it’s this one by a big margin. Highly recommended

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The "fun" levels in D64 = rip me.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I told myself I was done buying PS4 games for the year.

And then I saw Doom Eternal was on sale. So I bought it.

And I love it.

I suck at it, for sure. I am not good at modern FPS (the latest FPS I played besides Doom 2016 was Resistance from the early PS3 days) . I had Doom 2016 on the Switch Lite and didn't really give it a chance, it just wasn't clicking with me. Played maybe an hour or two of it. I enjoyed Doom 64 on the Switch because it felt closer to the old school Doom I grew up with.

But I am loving this game!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I told myself I was done buying PS4 games for the year.

And then I saw Doom Eternal was on sale. So I bought it.

And I love it.

I suck at it, for sure. I am not good at modern FPS (the latest FPS I played besides Doom 2016 was Resistance from the early PS3 days) . I had Doom 2016 on the Switch Lite and didn't really give it a chance, it just wasn't clicking with me. Played maybe an hour or two of it. I enjoyed Doom 64 on the Switch because it felt closer to the old school Doom I grew up with.

But I am loving this game!!
    I got pretty far in but fatigue set in playing it and bothering with collectables. I need to return to it to finish it off. I got the Deluxe so I will have the DLC when it drops....eventually.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    After getting 100% in Rise of the Tomb Raider, my first and only game to ever get 100% (besides Castlevania Symphony of the Night as a kid) , I told myself I'm never going nuts for collectibles and side items again. It drives me crazy lol. It is fun trying to find it though.

Just encountered the Pinkies for the first time. man they are a pain in this game compared to the old game!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't (yet) have a Switch, but still I couldn't resist this:

https://limitedrungames.com/collecti...ectors-edition

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I don't (yet) have a Switch, but still I couldn't resist this:

https://limitedrungames.com/collecti...ectors-edition
    Neither do I, and your share just convinced me to get it as well; what a package that is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love the original Doom games, and Doom 2016. But the "lore" they've introduced in Eternal and the DLCs is so weird and bad and unnecessary.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Doom 3 on VR and I’ve JUST received my PS5 camera adapter. It’s like the fates are telling me something