Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Having Trent actually do some of the sound effects / music would be perfect, I can dream

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well.. it did have Chris Vrenna's Tool knock off for a theme tune:

not that its bad, I have the vinyl around somewhere...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Wait, are Doom and Doom II remastered as well, or just D3?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Well.. it did have Chris Vrenna's Tool knock off for a theme tune:
    -snip-
    not that its bad, I have the vinyl around somewhere...
    Hah! that was definitely very Tool sounding wasn't it? i never actually thought of that before. Still awesome though for sure.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Which Tool tracks does it remind you of? I've never been able to get into Tool at all, maybe this will be an entry point for me.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Which Tool tracks does it remind you of? I've never been able to get into Tool at all, maybe this will be an entry point for me.
    I don't know specifically if it's any one track but it just has that style, maybe there's bits and pieces.

Like i get reminded of these

and

The section in the Doom 3 theme song from about 20 to 40 seconds especially just harkens back to Tool for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    to me it's mostly reminiscent of Lateralus (title song)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    to me it's mostly reminiscent of Lateralus (title song)
    agreed, its that guitar riff that does it for me.

As for doom 1 and 2, I assume they are just going to be the XBLA versions.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Damn, now I'm all psyched up for doom again!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I just don't quite understand this release. You can still pick up Doom3 for Xbox quite easily, which runs on the 360. The XBLA releases of doom and doom2 are stellar, and available already. All of the games are easily and cheaply available for PC. Steam regularly do a gigantic ID pack at massively discounted prices. That just leaves the PS3.

I still haven't actually completed Doom 3. I got somewhere past the hell levels. I don't think it's a very good game unfortunately, and I was a MAD fan of the originals. (I still do some doom1-2 stuff now: I was heavily involved in freedoom for ages, and I package/packaged lots of doom engines for Debian GNU/Linux).

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Don't know, man. The DOOM games always felt slow as hell. I remember playing deathmatches of DOOM II and it just being meandering. The guns felt like they had no weight or anything. Oh well.
    I simply cannot comprehend this, at all. Are you 100% sure it was Doom?

Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    doom 64 was also stellar, but it's been ages since i popped that bad boy in... wish that would get a virtual console download. would buy that again in a heartbeat!
    There are a couple of adaptations of D64 to the PC : Doom64: absolution and Doom 64 EX which are well worth checking out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    All I'll say is YES PLEASE. Any excuse to play these again and again and again.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Screens showcasing the BFG Edition of DOOM 3

007551.jpg

007553.jpg

007552.jpg

007550.jpg

007548.jpg

007554.jpg

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm still having a really hard time seeing the difference...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Doom fan, but I don't really understand this edition. I guess it's for people that don't own computers that are less than 10 years old? Or just really want to play on console for some reason?
    Last edited by exilajei; 06-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It looks WAY better than the original xbox version. That one was incredibly murky looking and less detailed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Doom fan, but I don't really understand this edition. I guess it's for people that don't own computers that are less than 10 years old? Or just really want to play on console for some reason?
    Well...I just want to play on console because that's what I use. I never understood the whole "PC/Console games should stay on PC/Console" thing. I mean...if a game is great, wouldn't it be cool for people to play it on mediums they're more familiar with? I don't knock PC gaming, at all. I'd even get into it if my computer could handle it. But the fact of the matter is, this computer's been on its last leg for about a year now, so I don't plan on playing anything on it until I can invest in a better machine, whether I'm building it or just buying one as is. As far as gaming goes, I'm fine with my PS3. I don't care for the console exclusive mumbo jumbo. People were up in arms when they started releasing Metal Gear games on Xbox, and I just didn't get it. I love Metal Gear, so I want other people to be able to play Metal Gear. The first time I played Doom was on my Playstation, and it was still an awesome experience for me as a kid. I don't look back and think "Man, I wish I would have played on PC." Playstation's always been good to me, so I've got no problem sticking with it. Maybe that'll change once I dig PC gaming, but I'm good for now. :P I think it's cool that I'll be able to play it on a console I frequently use.

ANYWAY...

Looks like it's coming out October 16th, for $40 on PS3/360 and $30 for PC!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...a-release-date
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 06-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    correct me if i'm wrong though, but aren't original xbox games available to play on xbox 360? so that article isn't exactly honest, if we're talking a matter of putting an old disc into a new machine you damn well can play that game on a 360. i also have doom I and II downloaded via the shop, so unless these lost levels are the best thing in the world, i'll likely pass on buying another edition.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    October 16th is the release date for Xbox. Day before my birthday, sweet.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Meh. I don't know. But I don't have a single Doom game anymore, so I'll end up buying this for convenience, if nothing else.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I still own all my old Doom CD's (Ultimate, II, Final Doom) but i cannot play them in my fuckin' Mac, i guess i'll be getting this one too, i miss playing those games, specially Doom II

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I still own all my old Doom CD's (Ultimate, II, Final Doom) but i cannot play them in my fuckin' Mac, i guess i'll be getting this one too, i miss playing those games, specially Doom II
    Chocolate-doom.org and the wad from each cd: sorted

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i think those extra levels will be ported into original doom3 release fairly soon

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    correct me if i'm wrong though, but aren't original xbox games available to play on xbox 360? so that article isn't exactly honest, if we're talking a matter of putting an old disc into a new machine you damn well can play that game on a 360. i also have doom I and II downloaded via the shop, so unless these lost levels are the best thing in the world, i'll likely pass on buying another edition.
    Only certain games can be played on the 360, I found the compatible list somewhere once.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Chocolate-doom.org and the wad from each cd: sorted
    Thanks, posts like these are the reason i spend so much of my office time in here!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was always impressed with where the original Xbox was heading, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 both ran fairly well considering the power of the thing, it could have had another year or so of life. Alas MS took the gamble and cut everything back once the 360 was pushed out, and besides terrible original hardware, it really paid off.

Anyway.. Doooom! I found my PC DVDs the other day, is there any way of getting them to work on Mac, like an engine rebuild or something? I use ioQuake to play quake 3 on here just by nicking the pak files...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Anyway.. Doooom! I found my PC DVDs the other day, is there any way of getting them to work on Mac, like an engine rebuild or something? I use ioQuake to play quake 3 on here just by nicking the pak files...
    See my last post.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Releases like this are a reminder to me that for as whiz-bang as consoles are, I'm likely never going to leave the realm of PC gaming. Not that I game all that much anyway, but Doom 3 BFG Edition looks a lot like Doom 3 for the PC. I was one of the folks who liked Doom3 - there was a whole HalfLife2vsDoom3 comparison going on at the time, but they're two different games. It's like comparing Monopoly to Life. Both are multiplayer board games, but the similarities fade from there.

If you've never played Doom before, you may be in for a let-down. First Person Shooters have come a very long way since 1995, but Doom was absolutely mind-blowing when it came out. One thing I still think serves as a strong point for the original Doom (and Heretic!) is multi-player, particularly cooperative mode. Deathmatch was kind of an afterthought when Doom originally came out, and after people started focusing on Deathmatch, FPS' always leaned more toward maps that were Deathmatch friendly, leaving cooperative design and logic as an afterthought. Even years after the games had long been out and outdated, I'd still have a couple of friends over and we'd play co-op games of Doom & Heretic. Bonus: Doom had all those great MIDI knockoffs of 80s and 90s metal songs.

That said - Deathmatch was kinda where it was at. One of my favorite multiplayer FPS moves of all time was on that Doom 2 level that was kind of like a downtown city. I only had a shotgun, and my opponent had a rocket launcher (YES, THIS WAS ON DIAL-UP, 1vs1). I quietly followed him up one of the taller buildings, and when he got to the edge, he turned around and saw me - we both fired, but he was slow on the draw. My shotgun blast knocked him just off the building, so that his rocket exploded in his face, killing him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've struggled to play modern games but I've just about given up. There is/was a point in time after which I haven't really enjoyed any (many) mainstream titles. There are two related areas which I think are still exciting: iOS and indie games. I'd rather play and enjoy 20+ superior iOS and indie bundle games than the one mainstream title that the same amount of money would buy.

Doom3 is a deeply flawed game IMHO. The hell section is quite fun, the rest meh. The torch thing was
    Clearly a mistake and they are rectifying it with the BFg edition.

There are some absolutely fantastic third party addons for doom and doom2: some 10+ years old and classics in their own right (memento mori, requiem) but even ones being created today that take an ancient engine and show design innovation above and beyond what you can find elsewhere. Browse around doomworld.com to find "best of" lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I played Doom 3 on xbox and on PC. I bought the PC version at launch.

The PC version of the game was far superior to the Xbox version. For example, (mild spoilers ahead) in the room before the big spider boss, there are a lot of people hanging in these weird cocoons. On Xbox, the cocoon people just hung there. On PC, the cocoons were twitching and the people in there were struggling to escape and making all sorts of awful noises. That single difference made a huge difference in the atmosphere going into that room and building up to the boss. I much prefer console gaming on my couch, but Steam sales and gameplay differences like those are what make me keep my gaming pc up to date (i5-2500k, Radeon 6850, 8 gigs pc1600 RAM).

As a game, Doom 3 on PC was probably the scariest game that I have ever played. Dead Space, while a good game in its own right, basically borrows its environment and scares from Doom 3. Crank the sound up on Doom 3 and turn the lights out, and it is scary as shit! Especially if you play the way they designed it without being able to use your flashlight and gun at the same time. And, having played both xbox and pc versions, the PC version is waaaay scarier, probably because your face is about 2 or 3 foot from the computer monitor.

With that said, the gameplay design is a little dated, but the game is long, the expansion pack is there, and these versions have been upgraded to run on Xbox 360, so I would think that some of those pc only features have been added back to the game.

For $29.99, I will be picking this game up. I might even bight at $39.99, despite still owning the game on Steam. Like I said, PC gaming is great, but I still prefer the comfort of my couch (a huge tv screen doesn't hurt either).