Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Really Super Cool Electronica Thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Do you guys like BT at all? Not too many people talk about him, but I think he's amazing. He's released two new ambient albums just a couple days ago, Morceau Subrosa and If the Stars Are Eternal Than So Are You And Ite His next EDM album, the follow-up to the monster These Hopeful Machines comes out later this year on Armada.
    A man after my own heart. I fucking love BT. Everyone lurking and posting in this thread NEEDS to hear his masterpiece This Binary Universe - it's one of my all-time favorite albums. If you're a music fan, you have to hear it. I love BT's vocal/pop/trance stuff, too (and especially when he dilutes it with his more avant-garde tendencies like on These Hopeful Machines), but his instrumental material is my favorite.

If The Stars Are Eternal So Are You and I (the follow-up to Binary Universe) is currently rocking my world. The whole album is great, but 14 min. opener "13 Angels on My Broken Windowsill" is downright profound (I loved playing it for my brother and getting to hear him say 'Wow' at the appropriate moments). I can't wait to do some night driving with that album. You can hear some samples of it on BT's soundcloud in the form of "Hikari", "Hymn[808]", and the absolutely beautiful "Our Dark Garden" (though those tracks aren't even the best the album has to offer).

His other new album, Morceau Subrosa, is very good ambient, though I was hoping for more a bit more stuff like the incredible opening piece.

In conclusion, This Binary Universe and If The Stars come very highly recommended from me. These Hopeful Machines is more outwardly pop-y, but it's still great, and has moments of brilliance in songs like "Le Nocturne de Lumiere."

BlueCalx, I'm pretty psyched for his next EDM album, too, of course. He posted a bit of his new song with Jes at a recent gig and it sounded fucking great.

Some favorites:

Hard not to be moved by this music video - consisting of BT's own home movies and text for his daughter.

Last edited by Deadpool; 07-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've been listening to an awful lot of the music suggested in this thread, and because of it Flying Lotus is always near the top of my playlist. They're coming out with a new album, and they have a fucking amazing new video and song.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    for fans of some bassy, glitchy, aggressive electronic music...
    check out Amon Tobin's side project Two Fingers' new album "Stunt Rhythms," which has just leaked

Two Fingers also have a self-titled album featuring vocals by Sway
    but i preferred the "Instrumentals" album from them because not only do you get the entire album as instrumental versions, but another dozen tracks not featured on their first release
    I wasn't really feeling the vocals on the debut, the new album "Stunt Rhythms" is mainly instrumental and a step up
    the 2nd disc does feature some extra tracks along with vocal mixes of a few

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Clark
    "Fantasm Planes"

Modeselektor featuring Thom Yorke
    "Shipwreck"

Modeselektor featuring Thom Yorke
    "This"

Deft
    "Masquerade"

Grimes
    "Oblivion"

Slow Magic
    "Corvette Cassette"

Mouse On Mars
    "They Know Your Name"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Perhaps you guys can help me, I'm looking for any modernish synth-pop bands with a kind of 80's vibe, maybe a West End Girls-era Pet Shop Boys sound going on. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Try Tanlines if you haven't heard of them already. I have been enjoying Washed Out, Four Tet and Burial.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Perhaps you guys can help me, I'm looking for any modernish synth-pop bands with a kind of 80's vibe, maybe a West End Girls-era Pet Shop Boys sound going on. Any suggestions?
    might not be exactly what you're going for, but you might want to check out Glass Candy, Yuksek, or Kavinsky.

While I'm in here,

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Really liking that Grischa release. Getting some major Senking vibes from it, which is definitely a good thing.

Speaking of Senking, PONG is essential.

Also, repping Vatican Shadow again:

Track of the year, IMHO.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    At the risk of being obvious, what about Ladytron? I was listening to Velocifero the other day and forgot how good it is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Pish posh

Hope this helps: A Newish band.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    How about Flight of the Conchords?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Delia Derbyshire binge today, some trip hop from 1969

Followed by some food shopping in dreary drizzy sunday london with the dreams series on he sennheisers... Bliss

Also a jokey one that made me laugh. Am I the only one who wants to run away with Delia
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up guys, some really good recommendations there. Loving Washed Out and Ladytron (forgot all about them, saw them supporting NIN and thought they were great). Also, Findus that Flight of the Conchords track is actually what caused me to ask in the first place, love that song! Makes me want to own an synthesizer.

Cheers guys. As I'm here, currently loving Mirrors (OMD style 80's synth-pop):
    Last edited by Trains; 10-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Amon Tobin released his side project Two Fingers new album "Stunt Rhythms" last month and now has released a completely brand new, non album track...

NSFW

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    good call. I'm actually going to throw on the Two Fingers record I bought at the Amon Tobin show now. good stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Stunt Rhythms is kicking my ass as well. I'd also recommend the new record from Holy Other, Held, particularly to fans of Burial and Desolate.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy Other is great... they kinda have an Underworld vibe... not in the 4 on the floor dance-sense.
    but the vibe felt kinda struck me as similar in atmosphere. or i'm just insane :P

hope you guys don't mind...
    but figured this is the best place for my fellow fans of electronica... especially dark and aggressive electronica
    i uploaded my 3 EPs on YouTube in full...
    blast em at work and annoy your fellow co-workers and boss all day...

WILDFIRE EP

LET'S GET DOWN EP

BROOKLYN STOMP EP

***stream in full or you can use the timestamps in the description to skip through tracks

i'll remove if i overstepped any boundaries by posting it here, but figured this is the best place since they go along with the topic at hand
    if i had to pick my top 5 influential electronic music producers, they would be The Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails, Amon Tobin, Meat Beat Manifesto, and The Chemical Brothers
    i really enjoy bass-oriented music, so i hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect

i hope you all enjoy
    Last edited by neorev; 10-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Amon Tobin released his side project Two Fingers new album "Stunt Rhythms" last month and now has released a completely brand new, non album track...
    NSFW
    Speaking of Two Fingers, The Two Fingers ISAM Live mix is available to download here: http://soundcloud.com/bigdadasound/t...from-isam-live
    I really recommend listening this, it's really good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Neorev, I haven't given them a full start-to-finish listen, but that is some fantastic music you've made.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @ Findus

thanks man!
    glad you are enjoying

all of it is available for free download in the format of your choice through http://www.neorev.bandcamp.com
    thanks and appreciate you taking the time to listen and psyched you're feeling it

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Ax Mr. L
    that Two Fingers mix is great... Amon did another one back during the release of the first Two Fingers album (though I recommend the Instrumentals album over the vocal one with Sway) a lot of the stuff off "Stunt Rhythms" is in the old mix that they had a couple of years back. I was so happy to finally see it released on the new album.

I'm a huge Amon Tobin fan and have seen him like 5 times live so far... he use to do this boat cruise in NYC each summer... 5 of those times were on the boat... once for ISAM 1.0

the last cruise he did the other month, he actually just chilled on the back outside deck with fans drinking and just chilling and hanging out, such a down to earth dude and very humble when you approach him and praise his work. i'm always too scared to come off as fanboy lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i'm a huge fan of The Prodigy and one of my biggest inspirations over the years
    so here are some of the more recent stuff from Liam Howlett remixing other artists and random collabs...

K.Flay - "We Hate Everyone"

Plan B - "Ill Manors (The Prodigy Remix)"

Pendulum feat. Liam Howlett - "Immunize"

South Central - "The Day I Die (The Prodigy Rework)"

Jay Z - "99 Problems (The Prodigy Remix)"

Foo Fighters - "White Limo (The Prodigy Remix)"

The Prodigy feat. Wiley - "Destroy The Melody" (leaked unreleased demo from Invaders Must Die)

Oasis - "Falling Down (The Prodigy Remix)"

Ian Brown - "Just Like You (The Prodigy Hospitalized Remix)"

new album due in 2013 has the working title "How To Steal A Jet Fighter" and they have been performing new tracks/demo/ideas at their recent shows...
    work in progress tracks played so far: "AWOL," "Dogbite," and "Jet Fighter"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You can stream The Prodigy's full live Blu-Ray/DVD "World's On Fire" on YouTube and features some cool new reworkings on classic tracks
    filmed from their own annual festival called the Warrior's Dance Festival, which has been down in Japan, UK, Belgrade, and now Australia next year

"World's On Fire"

this is another great full pro live recording from their performance at Rock Am Ring in 2009...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @Ax Mr. L
    that Two Fingers mix is great... Amon did another one back during the release of the first Two Fingers album (though I recommend the Instrumentals album over the vocal one with Sway) a lot of the stuff off "Stunt Rhythms" is in the old mix that they had a couple of years back. I was so happy to finally see it released on the new album.

I'm a huge Amon Tobin fan and have seen him like 5 times live so far... he use to do this boat cruise in NYC each summer... 5 of those times were on the boat... once for ISAM 1.0

the last cruise he did the other month, he actually just chilled on the back outside deck with fans drinking and just chilling and hanging out, such a down to earth dude and very humble when you approach him and praise his work. i'm always too scared to come off as fanboy lol.
    Yeah, The instrumental album is great and much better than the debut album. I just didn't like the vocals. I'd really like to see the ISAM 2.0 but I don't think he's coming to Finland any time soon, well at least I've the ISAM live dvd and I hope there'll be a another one for the 2.0 tour. Is the earlier Two Fingers mix still around somewhere?
    Oh, and I listened your EP's and they sound very nice!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    thanks man!

and yeah i agree, the vocals didn't do it for me either

you can download the older mix here...
    http://soundcloud.com/kingkongufulgu...eased-material

you have the ISAM live dvd? did you buy that crazy boxset? i also saw that he was selling a CD/DVD just for the live ISAM show
    i really do hope he does something for ISAM 2.0... wish he did a Blu-Ray featuring 1.0 and 2.0 shows on it. that would be sweet

i wish i bought the boxset... just don't have the cash right now to drop since me and my girl just got a new place and all are money is being put into that
    but i do have the CDs from the boxset ripped in FLAC... no DVDs though
    but i did get to experience 1.0 live in person at the 3rd in Brooklyn at a Masonic temple. fucking amazing performance.
    so gutted missed 2.0 and the bigger set up, it is truly amazing to see. but i got to see the extra DJ set he in NYC on the Rocks Off cruise ship... so I have that at least
    Last edited by neorev; 10-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what happened to Beaumont Hannant? Does he still make music? Note the sample from Fixed in this track.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    thanks man!

and yeah i agree, the vocals didn't do it for me either

you can download the older mix here...
    http://soundcloud.com/kingkongufulgu...eased-material

you have the ISAM live dvd? did you buy that crazy boxset? i also saw that he was selling a CD/DVD just for the live ISAM show
    i really do hope he does something for ISAM 2.0... wish he did a Blu-Ray featuring 1.0 and 2.0 shows on it. that would be sweet

i wish i bought the boxset... just don't have the cash right now to drop since me and my girl just got a new place and all are money is being put into that
    but i do have the CDs from the boxset ripped in FLAC... no DVDs though
    but i did get to experience 1.0 live in person at the 3rd in Brooklyn at a Masonic temple. fucking amazing performance.
    so gutted missed 2.0 and the bigger set up, it is truly amazing to see. but i got to see the extra DJ set he in NYC on the Rocks Off cruise ship... so I have that at least
    Thanks for the link!
    Yes I have that box set . I think it has about 10 hours of content in it and the packaging is really nice, so it is really worth the money. The visuals of the show are one of the best I've ever seen and I can imagine how amazing it would've been in person. The live versions of the tracks are really nice too, I really love the live version of Horsefish and Slowly. Let's hope there'll be some kind of official recording of the 2.0 tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are a few of my favorite tracks right now: I usually prefer the deeper techno, or eletronica/nu-disco.

(shameless plug whoring) I have some mixes I made on Soundcloud available for download that are about an hour long each. If any of those tracks move you, feel free to pick up the mixes too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A group i have been seriously admiring a lot recently is FLUKE, people probably best know them for doing the track ZION for The Matrix Reloaded during the sex scene.
    They had a very distinctive sound. Looking back they were very ahead of their time, subtle futuristic very well produced, they did their best to keep themselves very underground. Despite that their tracks would still sell hundreds of thousands. They would play last minute gigs rarely outside London in unusual places like factories, power stations i saw them in about 1998-99.
    they have not done anything for nearly a decade dont know if they are going to get back together but their material from the 90s is mindblowing. They could have gone overground like The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers but didnt want to.
    You have probably seen about 20 mainstream Hollywood films with their tracks in them like Sin City, i hear them all the time.

I still think that track they used in The Matrix is one of the most beautiful tracks ever the orignal version called Slap is even better.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Highly Psychological

love Fluke!

"Risotto" is an awesome album... "Oto" is a great too.

"Kitten Moon," "Reeferendrum," and "Goodnight Lover" are some of my faves

plus of course there more known stuff like "Atom Bomb" and "Absurd"

some of the members are still around and have done different projects...
    check out this site: http://www.2bitpie.net/

Go to the files section, tons of live Fluke recordings!!!
    Last edited by neorev; 11-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.