Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ween

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ween

Ween are on indefinite hiatus, according to Aaron Freeman, who has a new solo album out, Marvelous Clouds.

http://www.spin.com/articles/weens-a...g-made-him-cry

That makes me sad, but hopefully they'll get some new fire when they get back together sometime down the road. I still can't listen to La Cucaracha. It's their only album I don't like.

Also, there's this!!

"On August 11th, 2011, Dean quietly released a two-disc, MP3-only collection of songs called The Caesar Demos, named after the band's original working title for Quebec, to friends on his Facebook page. In his comment, he stated the songs were all recorded between 2001 and 2003 while drummer Claude Coleman, Jr. was recovering from injuries sustained in a car accident, and that many of the tracks featured only himself and Gene. In addition to a handful of recordings that eventually made the album, the demos feature several alternate takes as well as a number of songs that have remained unreleased."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Really glad I got to see them live before this hiatus. Glad to see Gene is recovering alright, I know that for a while on this past tour his dependency spiraled out of hand.

As for La Cucaracha, I didn't think it was bad, but it's not great either. I dig "Learning to Love", "Blue Balloon", and "With My Own Bare Hands". Shit has it really been five years since this came out?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    So Gener came out and said Ween is done and he's closing the book, then Dean says nobody told him. So apparently the band has broken up. Jeff, you as upset at this as I am?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Just like spinal meningitis, this news got me down... u_u

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    So Gener came out and said Ween is done and he's closing the book, then Dean says nobody told him. So apparently the band has broken up. Jeff, you as upset at this as I am?
    Oh man, I figured they'd get back together a few years down the road after Gener did his thing.

Antiquiet published an article on Gener's solo album, and at the end of it they actually said, "Feel free to contact Gener, and tell him what you think of the album," and they gave his number. It seemed like such a weird thing to do that I had to let him know about my appreciation for the band. I sent a text telling him that the show I had seen at the Wiltern in LA last year was the best show I had ever seen, and I thanked him for enriching my life for many years.

I kind of expected the whole thing to be a prank, but he responded, "Thanks, Jeff. Muddle up my mind."

I guess I know what that means now.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Damn, that's crazy, it's also weird that they'd give out his number like that. I knew that the band was rocky for some years, but it wasn't like there was long inactivity, they've basically toured every year including when they weren't promoting an album. Listened to The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Greats, and Quebec today. Quebec is sorta underrated, there's some very personal shit in that album.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Damn, that's crazy, it's also weird that they'd give out his number like that. I knew that the band was rocky for some years, but it wasn't like there was long inactivity, they've basically toured every year including when they weren't promoting an album. Listened to The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Greats, and Quebec today. Quebec is sorta underrated, there's some very personal shit in that album.
    Quebec along with Chocolate and Cheese are my favorite releases! it is underrated!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Magtig was naming albums off on my facebook page and none of them I could even think to say "that album blows" or even "that album is okay", because they were are all awesome in unique in their own way. C&C is their OK Computer, if you're a Ween fan, you hold that in high regard and it's a "duh!" response to the question of "which Ween album should I listen to first?", such a fantastic record and fun as shit. Glad to see someone else like Quebec though. Two of my favorite songs "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" and "Chocolate Town" are on there and after spinning it today, as a whole it fucking slays. Pitchfork also has a small interview with Gene on their +1 series regarding his solo album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The more I've thought about Ween breaking up today, the more it actually starts to make sense. They haven't put out a good album in just under a decade (Quebec, 2003). I'm hoping at some point down the road they'll at least play some more shows, and maybe after Gener does his thing on his own for a while it'll recharge the batteries.

On the other hand, Mickey's free to join QOTSA full time now. How fucking awesome would that be? /fantasizing

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Quebec" was my second Ween album, i remember watching MTV (yup the same MTV you're thinking!) at night they played "Trasndermal Celebration" and i instantly fell in love with that track; next day i went straight to the record store, bought the bastard and i became a fan of this awesome album! "So many people..."Alcan Road" "Chocolate Town", beautiful album full of styles and great lyrics, god i'll miss them!

And on that note: we cue to music!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I know that Songs for the Deaf had some of the most amazing talent on one CD that we've seen in years, but that Deaner solo on "Gonna Leave You" is unfuckable, even though Josh is a guitar god. Could add some life and juice to that band that they haven't seen since. Fuck, the more I think about it, the more I'm getting my hopes up for it.

It doesn't seem like they left on bad terms, certainly Dean is probably pissed that nobody told him, but I could see five years at least before they'll do some gigs, pick up some nice paychecks from the festival circuit, and do some reunion shows.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wonder if we'll see a really aggro Moistboiz record after this as well. But man, it would be soooo cool if Mickey joined Qotsa. He's one of the best guitar players in rock for sure.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Some Moistboyz will be awesome, especially if he goes to fucking town on it. And Josh did some Kyuss songs with Nick recently. Josh, Nick, Dean, Mickey, and Joey? That lineup is INSANE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ween's done? Fuck that sucks. Glad I got to see them once, they are one of my favorite bands. I dug La Cucaracha a bit, though it wasn't one of their better albums for sure. I was really hoping to be able to see them again, I hope they play shows at the very least in the future. One of the best live bands I have ever seen.
    Gonna go watch the Live in Chicago DVD I have chilling on my shelf now.

(I have Jeff to thank for getting me into this band years back through random posts on ETS )

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I got you into Ween?! I didn't know that.. or did I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nah I don't think I ever mentioned it. I remember reading some posts you made on the old ETS about em, and I was like "huh, they sound neat" and proceeded to fall in love with them, and then manage to see them on a tour a few years ago with a friend I got crazy into them.
    So thank you haha.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No problem, happy to hear it! I've only seen them once myself, since they so rarely visit the west coast. It's the best show I've ever seen, with Qotsa a close second, and the last NIN show comes in somewhere in my top five. All three shows were at the Wiltern in LA, oddly enough.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    This sucks. I never got to see Ween live. One of my favorite bands.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What made it so good was how organic it was in terms of the setlist (which seemed to have been made up on the spot, at least partially), and the vibes. People in the balcony of the Wiltern were actually passing around joints to complete strangers. In LA! So you know I smoked that shit.

That show genuinely gave me the feeling that life was good, and everything was going to be okay. I'm usually wracked with anxiety and worry, so it's a pretty unique feeling for me.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Back in August of 2010, I had a nervous breakdown and spent a week in the hospital, as soon as I got out I was boarding a plane to Chicago to go see Lollapalooza. I ended up having a great time and it took my mind off of things for a while. I then came back home to my normal life, my shitty job, and my car that shit the bed on me (which was the final straw for everything), but that weekend I was going to see Ween in Austin and my dad was gracious enough to let me borrow his car to go to the show. Granted, I wasn't in a very positive mental state but music, specifically going to shows were a way of me to have fun go out and forget about things even if for a few hours.

So I go to the show, having been a huge fan of the band for years since I was in middle school. Meat Puppets opened and they were rad, then Ween comes on and opens with "HIV Song" and it fucking hit me. It was fun, it was everything a show should be, awesome sing a longs, awesome people (I got laid from a lady who was eight years older than me, and like Jeff smoked some fine green), they even busted out covers of "Ohio", "Let's Dance" and "Kiss". It was fun, I was happy and didn't want it to end and they played for three fucking hours. They closed with a 10 minute version of "Roses Are Free" and when they walked off stage, it was absolutely mindblowing how good they were and how hopeful and happy I was. I still put it in the top five shows I'd ever seen and I think it was one of those moments where I kind of felt to myself "hey, everything's going to be okay". So I'm grateful for that moment.

I may love other bands more, but I don't think any other band could put a stupid ol' fat grin on my face like Ween did, and I'm sure you guys feel the same.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Dean Ween and Les Claypool are making a fishing show produced by Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/0...-reality-show/

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I know Claypool is a huge fisherman, didn't know about Deaner, so this has the potential to be Bassmasters on crack which is as awesome as it sounds.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Dean dispenses indispensable guitar knowledge (never cover the dick). If you've ever wanted to know the "fancy-schmancy" chord progression in, Mister Would You Please Help My Pony, look no further.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Listening to the Freeman album... it's Gene Ween's (aka Aaron Freeman) new project.

So far I love it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Deaner's building a studio. Let's do him a solid and lend a hand! http://www.gofundme.com/jwo2jo

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Your Party is the only song that really chills me out. Nothing else comes close. Even though it may be about a swinger's party and having an orgy in a subtle way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This fb group is legit. So very brown, rivals tool fans but in a good way.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/305125546293436
    Last edited by Pillfred; 04-17-2016 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Test first post

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    This fb group is legit. So very brown, rivals tool fans but in a good way.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/305125546293436
    What's it about? I can't see it; no FB.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What's it about? I can't see it; no FB.
    It's called the Ween Appreciation Society just a bunch of fans. Been seeing tons of clips and streams lately if the reunion shows. Mickey seems to pop in fairly often taking about random great and his new album and just whatever.