Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Black Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Black Flag

Black Flag
    First hardcore band.
    I like earlier versions of the band, but I LOVE Rollins era.
    Damaged and My War the best IMHO
    Every album evolve from this hardcore/punk into a almost sabbath/doomish slower music.

Anyway awesome band

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I really like them, i think they had bad luck with publishers/record companies so they never got what they deserved but they were one of the best and true punk bands.
    I agree that the Rollins era is the best, my favorite album is "Damaged", but i like their "less-punkish more-hardcore" era with "Slip it in", i also love their live album "Who's got the 10 1/2"

Horrible and funny video!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I really like them, i think they had bad luck with publishers/record companies so they never got what they deserved but they were one of the best and true punk bands.
    I agree that the Rollins era is the best, my favorite album is "Damaged", but i like their "less-punkish more-hardcore" era with "Slip it in", i also love their live album "Who's got the 10 1/2"

Horrible and funny video!
    The "Get in the Van" book is a really good portrait of what these guys went through.
    This band was the real shit, so different from what we see now.
    Although I did not listened to Black Flag when they were still a band, I miss these kind of bands.
    prob, Dilinger or Converge (sure there are many more) comes close as a DIY attitude.

I also like the flyers they put for every show (you can check them on their FB page) the same as the album covers....Family man?...incredible.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Don't let anyone from the band hear you call them "Hardcore". I got into a fight with Kira Roessling after having called the band that.. We are Facebook friends, and I was telling her how much I loved Black Flag and the whole hardcore thing and she started to bitch about it.

Rollins is good, Morris was better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Don't let anyone from the band hear you call them "Hardcore". I got into a fight with Kira Roessling after having called the band that.. We are Facebook friends, and I was telling her how much I loved Black Flag and the whole hardcore thing and she started to bitch about it.

Rollins is good, Morris was better

Whoa, really?
    Did she said why she did not like to be named hardcore?

Keith was a good, but to me he sings like Jhonny Rotten and I don't like "punk" bands that their vocalist sound like the Pistols.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This may not even be Black Flag related, but seeing this thread got my memory going. Sometime back in the 90's, probably mid, I think I came across some kind of one-song supergroup that consisted of members from two of the following bands: Black Flag, White Flag, White Zombie, and/or Redd Kross. Of course they called themselves something like Redd Flag, Black Kross, or White Kross. Anyone remember this or am I just crazy?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    Whoa, really?
    Did she said why she did not like to be named hardcore?

Keith was a good, but to me he sings like Jhonny Rotten and I don't like "punk" bands that their vocalist sound like the Pistols.
    Yeah, and it's unfortunate because it kind of changed my attitude on the band. She just acted like some holier than thou bitch.. Saying things like "Ugh, I don't understand the label thing" "Oh, we were hardcore? What is that? Can you describe what Hardcore means?"
    We were talking about Russian Cirlces and I made the mistake of calling them "Post Rock" which again brought up her rants about how she's above using labels to describe music.
    I get that idea, but sometimes I wonder how people like her find their way through music stores.

I like the songs that were made in that era better, I guess. The Nervous Breakdown EP is a favorite.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Love me some Black Flag. My War is one of the best albums of all time. I'm not gonna touch the Henry/Keith/Dez argument. BF was more like three different bands than one band with three different singers. There's no use in comparing each era.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Yeah, and it's unfortunate because it kind of changed my attitude on the band. She just acted like some holier than thou bitch.. Saying things like "Ugh, I don't understand the label thing" "Oh, we were hardcore? What is that? Can you describe what Hardcore means?"
    We were talking about Russian Cirlces and I made the mistake of calling them "Post Rock" which again brought up her rants about how she's above using labels to describe music.
    I get that idea, but sometimes I wonder how people like her find their way through music stores.

I like the songs that were made in that era better, I guess. The Nervous Breakdown EP is a favorite.
    Wow, didn't knew they were sensitive with the "hardcore label", i heard Bad Brains hate to be called "Hardcore" too, it's just a way to describe their music, she should chill out

Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    The "Get in the Van" book is a really good portrait of what these guys went through.
    This band was the real shit, so different from what we see now.
    Although I did not listened to Black Flag when they were still a band, I miss these kind of bands.
    prob, Dilinger or Converge (sure there are many more) comes close as a DIY attitude.

I also like the flyers they put for every show (you can check them on their FB page) the same as the album covers....Family man?...incredible.
    "Get in the Van" is awesome, a bible for the rock world, and their flyers... damn it was all so simple yet all "in your face", i love all of them and their cover art too!